Manzo Headers Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
The previous owner of my car welded a 2.25 inch straight pupe in place of the mid muffler and resonator. That makes it sound nice IMO but im going to get an exhaust soon. Ive seen a few for the 6th gen accord I like. The tl exhausts will work too with modification. Itll either have to be lengthened or shortened ...cant remember. Is the spacing correct for our bumper exhaust cutouts though....if not it could be made to fit.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:49 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you ever end up taking a video on how the car sounds with these headers installed? I'm thinking of picking up a set for my CL-S6
Old 08-05-2017, 03:39 AM
Instructor

I only took the one of my friend revving it to 4 or 5k in neutral and I was using my cell and it really didn't do the way these sound justice. They sound good.. It just gave it a deeper tone and when vtec kicks in sounds serious but this car wasnt quiet before. Keep in mind I have stock catback with a 2.25 strait pipe where the midmuffler n resonator was from the previous owner. I felt the biggest diff on the butt dyno.....seemed like for the next few days it kept getting quicker (computer relearn)? My buddy has my old tls 2nd gen n we will occasionally get down and I went from winning by 2 car links to about 4. I can easily get to Just over 90mph in 3rd before I reach the top vs about 85mph before. Top of 2nd is just over 60 instead of like 60mph so it made it quicker. No leaks and now the stainless is looking cool. I've put 500 miles on the headers. I'm looking at suspensions now. I'M doing an event at Daytona international speedway Rolex 500 road course 2 days 2.5 hours of driving a day in 5 30 min sessions and it's only around 900 bucks. Worth it to me. PLAN on upgrading the dashcam and adding mirror cams for that because I've got to upload that.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Picture after some time and some miles

Originally Posted by Squag27
Did you ever end up taking a video on how the car sounds with these headers installed? I'm thinking of picking up a set for my CL-S6
Holding up great. Never any leaks or odd sounds. Just dont forget to pick up grade 8 bolts and nuts for the flanges....the gaskets and crush washers that come with these are good but the hardware sucks honestly. I shopped around and could not find them cheaper shipped to my door anywhere other than https://www.redline360.com/manzo-hea...l-tl-v6-TP-048 .....of course you can pick them up anywhere but they made some versions with 2 flex pipes and I didnt want that set and the customer service gooodI emailed and they responded really quick letting me know which set they had in stock so I knew exactly what I was getting. The part numbers are the same so I would verify that it's the single flex pipe set if u order anywhere besides www.redline360.com
Old 09-08-2017, 08:08 PM
I broke what now??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am running a 99-02 accord coupe catback and have had two sets of Manzo headers and one set of OBX.

For the exhaust, I cut off the fart cans because they hung too low. Realistically it would fit fine if you adjusted the angle where it passes the sway bar but I didn't have the knowledge or resources at the time to do it myself.

As for headers, the OBX came bent so they leaked, the first set of manzo's had a collector and didn't perform well compared to the OBX (when I had like three gaskets on to stop the leak), and the final set I am currently running is the OBX J pipe or Y pipe (whatever it is called) with a set of manzo headers with the bend in one tube for the 6mt mount. I polished the headers a bit since the welds were a bit rough and It seems to perform pretty well.

OBX seems to have the next best pipe between the two headers next to DC in my opinion.

Last edited by tgrubbe; 09-08-2017 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Spelling/Grammar
Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Does the obx j pipe drop lower to the ground like I think the dc sports do and then bend up prior to connecting to the cat (one of the more expensive sets drops lower and looks like trouble for those lowered) ....or is it straight like the manzos......I never had a problem with leaks but definately it's because I used grade 8 hardware......the supplied hardware was not strong enough to crush the crush washer and seal the manzo j pipe to the manzo header.....

they've obviously redesigned the manzos a couple of times too. Im sure you've seen the version or maybe have it with the two flex pipes on the j pipe....and they've definately improved their welds. Mine were ground smooth. Still no problems yet for me so im still happy with my set.

Last edited by Jonathan Hill; 09-08-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:41 AM
I broke what now??

It does not appear to, but I can check/measure when I get out there to work on the car in the AM, It does however have a much smoother J to connect the rear bank to the main pipe, not as smooth as the DC set but far better than any manzo/ebay I have run across thus far.

What really ticks me off is how they all seem to have different styles of flanges, some have that cheap aluminum ring with no gasket, some have two flat parts and a gasket, and some look like they were mean to have all three. I am taking mine apart entirely tomorrow to put on new gaskets and some copper gasket sealer. There are two spots I can feel exhaust leaks at the front header flange due to my mixing and matching of sets of headers.

Apart from that, this new combo I'm running with the headers definitely helped pick up some power. I'm sure there is still plenty more to be gained though

Last edited by tgrubbe; 09-09-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:44 AM
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
I've got about 500 miles on mine so far. They leak everywhere, including between the front header and the block. I can't tell if the back header is leaking in the same spot. I have to take mine all apart again and try to seal them up better too.

Last edited by johnboy1313; 09-09-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:27 PM
I broke what now??

I suggest doubling up on gaskets as well as using the copper stuff, only way I was able to stop a couple leaks in my catback.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:46 AM
CL-s6 4 lyfe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johnboy1313
I've got about 500 miles on mine so far. They leak everywhere, including between the front header and the block. I can't tell if the back header is leaking in the same spot. I have to take mine all apart again and try to seal them up better too.
Mine leak like crazy also! I am considering just bringing it to an exhaust shop to get it over with lol.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HorizonCL-s6
Mine leak like crazy also! I am considering just bringing it to an exhaust shop to get it over with lol.
ive got 6k on mine and mine were leaking it just started out of nowhere. I was thinking....here we go. Anyways i got on top of the motor and felt around and apparently I forgot to tighten the top middle exhaust manifold flange bolt and i simply didnt tighten another nearly enough. So little space and I was ready to be done. Anyways put on the missing bolt and tightened everything down good and no more leaks. I THINK i just got a new set or a good set or something. If you guys both are leaking like crazy I dont know what went wrong there. Personally however if your set came with crush rings....use those.....if they came with mls steel gaskets - use those. I wouldnt mix match or change those. Leaking from the front bank between the head and piping doesnt sound good....unless the surface is warped then that should not happen unless the surface is covered in carbon or something.....in that case use whatever means to fix that. I feel you guys pain if your going to take em apart and reinstall. I bought all new gaskets and crush rings in preparation to fix my leak that turned out to be a missing and lose bolt and that stuff was a good 55 bucks.....glad I can return my stuff.
The following users liked this post:
HorizonCL-s6 (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 AM
CL-s6 4 lyfe

Originally Posted by Jonathan Hill
ive got 6k on mine and mine were leaking it just started out of nowhere. I was thinking....here we go. Anyways i got on top of the motor and felt around and apparently I forgot to tighten the top middle exhaust manifold flange bolt and i simply didnt tighten another nearly enough. So little space and I was ready to be done. Anyways put on the missing bolt and tightened everything down good and no more leaks. I THINK i just got a new set or a good set or something. If you guys both are leaking like crazy I dont know what went wrong there. Personally however if your set came with crush rings....use those.....if they came with mls steel gaskets - use those. I wouldnt mix match or change those. Leaking from the front bank between the head and piping doesnt sound good....unless the surface is warped then that should not happen unless the surface is covered in carbon or something.....in that case use whatever means to fix that. I feel you guys pain if your going to take em apart and reinstall. I bought all new gaskets and crush rings in preparation to fix my leak that turned out to be a missing and lose bolt and that stuff was a good 55 bucks.....glad I can return my stuff.
ATM I think I am leaking at the cat but I will def. check all my bolts at flanges and headers! Was kind of hurried to finish after working on it all day so I could have easily missed one.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Instructor

ATM I think I am leaking at the cat but I will def. check all my bolts at flanges and headers! Was kind of hurried to finish after working on it all day so I could have easily missed one.
thats all i did and its worth a check....also for me i had to tighten them then run the motor then tighten some more to make it stop leaking.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 AM
CL-s6 4 lyfe

thats all i did and its worth a check....also for me i had to tighten them then run the motor then tighten some more to make it stop leaking.
Makes sense because heating and cooling will expand the bolts/gaskets. The shitty thing is that I live in Duluth for school and so I don't have access to a lift anymore. I might just bring it into a shop to save the headache of finding a jack, jack stands and tools.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:36 AM
CL-s6 4 lyfe

The power gain and throttle response is amazing though! Makes the car feel fast again lol. A new clutch is the next project for sure
Old 10-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Makes sense because heating and cooling will expand the bolts/gaskets. The shitty thing is that I live in Duluth for school and so I don't have access to a lift anymore. I might just bring it into a shop to save the headache of finding a jack, jack stands and tools.
i only used the lift to spot the problem.....i found it easiest to lay on the motor and get them from up top.....just get a good swivel head rachet.....itll be some feeling around but youll get them.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Instructor

The power gain and throttle response is amazing though! Makes the car feel fast again lol. A new clutch is the next project for sure
do you still think you feel a power gain with the leaks? I felt like I lost power not to mention gas mileage.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:40 AM
CL-s6 4 lyfe

do you still think you feel a power gain with the leaks? I felt like I lost power not to mention gas mileage.
It was mostly changed when I installed my new IMRC, but considering I am most likely leaking at the CAT it definitely feels much quicker even with the leaks.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Instructor

It was mostly changed when I installed my new IMRC, but considering I am most likely leaking at the CAT it definitely feels much quicker even with the leaks.
thats true and would make sense...that connection between the pipe and cat gets hotter than the manifold itself by almost 75 degrees iirc. I took temperatures all over.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:45 PM
10th Gear

so Mr. Jonathan Hill. 10 months on, how are the headers treating you? I'm thinking about getting a set for my CLS6 to fix an exhaust issue..
Old 05-10-2018, 07:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by clearlybaffled
so Mr. Jonathan Hill. 10 months on, how are the headers treating you? I'm thinking about getting a set for my CLS6 to fix an exhaust issue..
I'm curious as well.

I installed some DC's when I did my swap and have been battling some kind of resonance/vibration with a cold motor at idle and also in the 2000 rpm range when warm. Wondering if I should try the Manzo's.
Here's the thread I started on the TL side: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-p...ing-me-969532/
Old 06-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
I installed the manzo headers 2 years ago on my 01 auto theyve gone through one summer of hard abuse and other than the hardware and poor initial fit ( had to use lonnng bolts because the downpipe portion was off by quite a bit got the long bolts in on an angle and tigthened them to stretch the pipes into place.) My only complaint is the flexpipe is garbage and leaking now. Gonna cut it out and replace with a vibrant flex joint. I would recommend having the flex pipe changed before installing to anyone thinking of installing these and save the trouble of taking them off again.