Cadillac: XLR news **Production to End (page 3)**

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Yo, Cusdaddy and company, this was a great informational thread. I meant to say that earlier.

Yes, Europe is in trouble. They are too, too divided over there. Just cause they share money now does not mean they are equal.

China and India are coming. Fast. They got space, people and soon resources. Hell, they are coming here to learn everything.

Coming here to learn everything and:

1. Many of them stay here
2. The ones that go back, get completely dimoralized by the corruption in the reality of their countries. THEN they soon understand that LEARNING how to be great, is VERY different that actually being great!

Gabriel's thinktank.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gabriel's thinktank: I sense a new career

Put all the other so-called thinktanks out of business!
Old 05-15-2003, 10:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Manufacturing Output Per Hour Index 2001

USA = 141.5
FRANCE = 146.4
UK = 119.3
CANADA = 116.1
GERMANY = 128.4
ITALY = 115
JAPAN = 133.8
BELGIUM = 134.9
NETHERLANDS = 134.5
NORWAY = 105.3
SWEDEN = 181

SOURCE: US DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/surveymost?in

Only Sweeden and France are more productive than the USA. And I picked the BEST countries when it comes to productivity. If I include the rest 20-30 European countries, you wont believe how low the numbers are. As for other Asian and African countries...I am assuming that you agree that there is no need for research on the statistics.

Also, in 1999, 1996, 1993 and 1991 USA was higher than France in productivity.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:07 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally posted by gavriil
So what are you saying? That we work hard but we are not as productive as the Europeans?
no no no, youre backwards, we may be more productive but it doesnt mean the quality of our "superior" productiveness is on par with the "less" productive countries.

And ok ok ok I reneg the whole american work ethic and will agree with heyitsme about the american auto makers work ethic, that is kind of what i was trying to lean towards and just worded in a more broad way which was wrong.

Cause we all know americans produce the best movies in the world maybe im just biased cause i work in that industry
Old 05-16-2003, 11:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The way that you re-worded now, sounds better.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

http://www.thecarconnection.com/imag...8030_image.jpg
http://www.thecarconnection.com/imag...8031_image.jpg

Spy Shots: ’06 Cadillac XLR-V - - Corvette underpinnings, Corvette speed? - - by Brenda Priddy - - Source: The Car Connection

GM's Performance Division was busy this week and we caught yet another future V-Series Cadillac. This time we photographed the 400-horsepower XLR-V, powered by a supercharged 4.6-liter Northstar V-8.

Besides the supercharged engine and other performance-related features, the V-Series XLR also sports a unique hood, ten-spoke wheels, and high-performance tires.

The XLR V-Series is expected for the 2006 model year, or possibly as an early 2007-model offering.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

So now, I am wondering if the STS-V will be rated at 400HP.

Personally, I dont feel that 400HP is enough for a either the XLR-V nor the STS-V here. 450HP would be more appropriate.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am also now wondering if the CTS-V will switch to this 4.6 S/Ced engine and drop the LS6.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

400HP? WTF? They'd better do alot better than that to be credible... not even 450 HP. 500HP or BETTER. DO YOU HEAR THAT CADDY?! 500 OR BETTER!
Old 05-18-2004, 03:33 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
someone up here has something like that. i know its a caddy convert
Old 05-18-2004, 03:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by titan
400HP? WTF? They'd better do alot better than that to be credible... not even 450 HP. 500HP or BETTER. DO YOU HEAR THAT CADDY?! 500 OR BETTER!
What I am thinking is that maybe we'll see what we saw with the CTS. A V version and a V-Plus version. And that's 400 HP for the former and 500HP for the latter.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Safety Car

What I am thinking is that maybe we'll see what we saw with the CTS. A V version and a V-Plus version. And that's 400 HP for the former and 500HP for the latter.
Well, I see your point, but I think that it's a waste. Why have two ultra premium versions? and then to call it "Plus"... is lame. We don't hear anything about an "AMG-Plus", or an "M-Plus". I can see them introducing a sportier "Sport model, with maybe a small hp boost, tightened supension mods, kit, etc.", but more than one V version is kind of moot.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by titan
Well, I see your point, but I think that it's a waste. Why have two ultra premium versions? and then to call it "Plus"... is lame. We don't hear anything about an "AMG-Plus", or an "M-Plus". I can see them introducing a sportier "Sport model, with maybe a small hp boost, tightened supension mods, kit, etc.", but more than one V version is kind of moot.
I totally agree, though I am thinking the Plus designation is used temporarily in the case of the CTS. To fill the gap between the 2 years difference between the Caddy and BMW new generation showup. Bottom line, Caddy is not gonna wait for 2-3 years before the next gen. CTS-V shows up to match the M5's power. They needed 500HP now and they're going that way.

So the next gen. CTS-V will start at 500HP and there will be no Plus designation unless needed.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:33 PM
Safety Car

I totally agree, though I am thinking the Plus designation is used temporarily in the case of the CTS. To fill the gap between the 2 years difference between the Caddy and BMW new generation showup. Bottom line, Caddy is not gonna wait for 2-3 years before the next gen. CTS-V shows up to match the M5's power. They needed 500HP now and they're going that way.

So the next gen. CTS-V will start at 500HP and there will be no Plus designation unless needed.
I see what you're saying... if that's the case, that's cool.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

Old 08-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

GM to boost XLR production - - Source: Automotive News

General Motors is looking to slightly increase production of the Cadillac XLR roadster in the face of overwhelming demand, said David Leone, chief engineer for the Cadillac Sigma prestige vehicle architecture team.

more as article becomes free
Old 08-04-2004, 02:36 PM
__

I thought the XLR wasn't selling so well...
Old 08-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Zoot
I thought the XLR wasn't selling so well...
Misconception...
Old 08-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

GM set to increase output of popular Cadillac XLR roadster - - DALE JEWETT | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- General Motors wants to increase production of the Cadillac XLR roadster slightly in the face of high demand, said David Leone, chief engineer for the Cadillac Sigma prestige vehicle architecture team.

"We want to maintain the scarcity of the XLR while still taking advantage of dealer orders that are five times what we can build," Leone said last week at the Management Briefing Seminars here.

He would not provide specifics of the planned production increase.

This year Cadillac sold 2,159 XLRs in the United States through July. The XLR went on sale late last year.

Leone said the increase in production would begin before the 2006 model year.

He said the change would not affect production of the Chevrolet Corvette, which also is built at GM's Bowling Green, Ky., assembly plant.

Old 08-18-2004, 07:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
August 08, 2004

Cadillac XLR
by Jay Leno
Look Dad, I've got a cool Cadillac too

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...205522,00.html

When I made it big as a comedian, even before I started doing The Tonight Show, I took my dad out to buy him a car. My dad was Italian and felt he had to have a Cadillac.
We go into the showroom at the Cadillac store and there’s a big white Cadillac sat there. I remember the salesman saying, “You want the regular interior or the interior de EleGAAAANCE?” And I said, “Oh, we’ll have the interior de EleGAAAANCE.”

This was in 1984, and the inside of the car was all crimson and tufted. I mean, it looked like the decor of a brothel. It was a white Cadillac with red upholstery and great big buttons.

My dad thought this was the most fabulous thing ever, but my mother did not — she was so embarrassed to drive in this car. My mother was from Scotland, you see, so any show of ostentation was meet with “Aach”. They would go down the street and sit at a lights and if there were people next to them she would lean across and say: “You know, we are not really Cadillac people, our son got us this.” My mother was so embarrassed to ride in this flashy white car that she would slump below the level of the window so she couldn’t be seen.

So that’s what Cadillacs always meant to me: big, old men’s cars. They were good though: the air-conditioning was freezing, the heating was boiling, everything was dependable. Cadillacs didn’t stop well or go round corners decently, but they did what they were supposed to do — take Italian guys around and look real cool. I remember my uncle saying: “The Cadillac is the Rolls-Royce of automobiles!”

In a way he was right. In 1949 the Cadillac was the greatest car in the world: it had Hydramatic transmission, a V8 engine, electric windows, air-conditioning . . . all the stuff that Rolls-Royce owners could only dream about. It was smooth, it was fast, it was quiet . . . it was just a terrific car.

The trouble is that the same thing happened to Cadillac that happened to the British car industry, which is now starting to happen to the Japanese car industry, too. People get lazy, you see. They think, “Let’s just keep making the same thing, let’s not put the profit back into new development, let’s put it into financing and into other areas.”

Twenty years ago at Cadillac, an exciting new feature was not the introduction of disc brakes or the improvement of handling, it was a voice saying, “Your door is ajar”. Nonsense things like that meant Cadillac lost its way.

Now, though, Cadillac seems to have got its act together. In fact I have never seen a brand execute a turnaround as effective as this one. The company once again seems to comprise engineers, and appears to be getting rid of nonsense such as landau bars — S-shaped bars at the rear fitted solely for decorative reasons — and awful gold roofs.

I believe the Cadillac CTS and CTV are two of the best, most entertaining American cars currently on sale. And the XLR, which is scheduled to arrive in Britain early next year, is a good car too. Cadillac is now cool like it has never been: when we have rappers like 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg on the show, the words Cadillac Escalade are all they want to hear. They love the Escalade, which really is the coolest car out there. That makes me smile, because like I said, when I was a kid Cadillacs were for old men.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in the XLR and it’s a good all-round package. The chassis is one of the most modern platforms available, the standard model has more power than the Mercedes SL350 or SL500, and here in America it’s a bit cheaper than the competing Mercedes or BMW so that’s the big advantage. In the UK that advantage is unfortunately lost: the XLR will cost around £70,000 compared with £58,510 for the SL350 and £72,160 for the SL500.

It has all the modern features you’d expect, such as keyless entry, but I’m always suspicious of things like that because they make me think of Sherlock Holmes TV shows set during the war, where Holmes investigates someone who has cut an electrical wire to an alarm. I recall him saying in a cut-glass accent: “Ah, electricity, the high priestess of false security.” It’s the same for me. All this electronic stuff is wonderful until your battery goes dead. I like the simple mechanical-ness of pulling a switch.
Despite which, I like the XLR, and the way its roof goes up and down is an engineering marvel, although you don’t get much boot space. I guess you might just be able to get a nine-iron in there.

If you want brilliant high-speed handling then get the Corvette . . . although I still thought the XLR handled pretty good and rode nicely. It seemed more responsive than the Merc and more like the Dodge Viper. If they bothered with focus groups, half would like the Viper and half wouldn’t. Then the company says: “Well, half didn’t like it, so we’d better not make it.” Trouble is, the half who do like it absolutely love it, and if you can sell it to that half then that’s fine. It’s the same with the XLR, so it’s good that Cadillac stuck by its beliefs.

It is also a style that appeals to those who grew up in the 1980s and are now in their twenties or thirties and used to those angular Japanese shapes, transformer-type things and Star Wars-inspired objects. That’s where it has appeal. It’s okay: I like it, and it certainly doesn’t bother me, even though it’s not of my age group.

The other thing that’s great is that the stylists and engineers are working together for the first time at Cadillac — or so it seems to me. Years ago you’d style a car and that was that. Now you engineer a car first, then the stylists come in.

The bottom line is that all cars are good now — there really are no bad ones. When I was a kid, every two years we’d go to the Midas Muffler exhaust dealer, bring our guarantee and they’d put a new tin muffler on, which would last for one winter. My dad had a 1966 Ford and by 1969 it was so badly rotted that my foot went straight through the floor.

Nowadays, though, what you have to sell is your branding, quality and style. BMW is the standard now: if you are anything less than BMW you are simply not in the game. The XLR is close though — it’s a real good up-to-date car, although worryingly some of the trim appears to come from the GM parts bin.

This is a turning point for Cadillac, a company that is constantly fighting the old customer who has been there for 50 years and will buy a new Cadillac every three years. Those customers are going to walk in, see the shape of the new XLR or even the CTV and go, “Standard shift? What the hell is that?” So you have to replace that customer with somebody new, and the company seems to be doing that pretty well. I know a lot of young guys who are excited about the new Cadillac models.

I like the fact that it’s a clean sheet of paper, because to get an American car company to start with a clean sheet is a pretty good thing. All they need do now is keep the quality and get rid of the little things that break. Rudolph Giuliani had that idea when he was mayor of New York: he reckoned that if you could fix the small crimes the big crimes would look after themselves. It’s the same with cars — if the radio doesn’t work or a piece of trim falls off it may be no big deal, but it is in your face and it bothers you.

That’s always been the problem with American cars: they run for ever, you can’t kill them, but you get in and shut the door and . . . “ker-klink”, some chromed plastic falls off the door and your friends go: “Hey, nice new car, Bob!”

Timing is everything, and just as Cadillac gets it together I get my first-ever Cadillac. It’s not an XLR or a CTV but an old 1957 model.

wasn’t looking for one but an old boy called me up the other day. He’s 88 years old and a Normandy-beach veteran. He goes, “Jay? Jay Leno? My name is Ed. I’m 88 years old and I don’t have any family but for one nephew and he’s an asshole. I don’t want to give him my car so I want you to have my Cadillac.”
So I talk to him and he shows me his second world war diary. He’s a pretty sharp guy so I say, “Ed, I’ll restore it to brand new for you.” So he gave it to me, and now I finally own a Cadillac

VITAL STATISTICS

Model: Cadillac XLR
Engine type: V8, 4565cc
Power: 320bhp @ 6400rpm
Torque: 310 lb ft @ 4400rpm
Transmission: Five-speed automatic, rear-wheel drive
Suspension: Independent, double wishbone all round
Fuel: 17mpg (city), 25mpg (open road)
Acceleration: 0-60mph: 5.9sec
Top speed: 155mph
Price: $75,835 (UK circa £70,000)
Verdict: Breathes new life into a vintage marque
Rating: *****

ALSO IN THIS SECTION

Bentley Continental GT

Cadillac XLR

Caterham R300 SV

Caterham R400

Chrysler 300C

Chrysler Crossfire
Old 08-18-2004, 11:13 AM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
The trouble is that the same thing happened to Cadillac that happened to the British car industry, which is now starting to happen to the Japanese car industry, too. People get lazy, you see. They think, “Let’s just keep making the same thing, let’s not put the profit back into new development, let’s put it into financing and into other areas.”
sooooo true
Old 08-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Pit Stop?

No wonder I've only seen THREE since they've been available..........
Old 11-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: Autoweek
Old 11-03-2004, 11:51 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Old 11-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

Rims similar to Merc's.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:58 AM
goldmemberererer

Not the most flattering pictures ever. Exhaust looks shitty, it needs to be integrated into the bumper. The rims are uninspiring. The suspension is too high, for a car of this sort, wheelgap is unacceptable.

Take it back.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

^^ I agree.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
When I saw this thread title I was expecting Landau tops, wire hubcaps, and a Continental tire holder on the back.

Old 11-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Safety Car

Think GM should be banned from SEMA, never seen a company put out so many crappy ideas.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Think GM should be banned from SEMA, never seen a company put out so many crappy ideas.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:50 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

The only car that i am even able to look at is the gto judge concept....the vettes look like apc got their hands on em
Old 11-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Pit Stop?

I'm fairly sure if I had the capability to get either the XLR-V or the C6............I'd get the Vette.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

I like the car, the exhaust looks fine. It looks like the cat back is a Corsa judging by the tips. Caddy needs to put a "sport" package on this car. Every test that I have read stated that the car handled great, but needed more tire.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:38 AM
Kabachitare!

The quad exhaust looks really stupid. Also looks like it is about to fall off.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

GM cuts production of sluggish-selling Cadillac XLR halo car - - JASON STEIN | Automotive News and ROBERT SHEREFKIN | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

Last summer customers waited in line to buy Cadillac's hot XLR. Now dealers are waiting to sell them.

GM has reduced XLR production at its Bowling Green, Ky., plant from 23 vehicles a day to 12, union officials say.

As of Feb. 1, Cadillac had a 200-day supply of the $76,200 vehicle -- about 1,700 units.

Cadillac once hoped to sell 6,000 XLRs annually. But through 18 months, Cadillac has sold just 4,744.

As recently as last August, Cadillac executives wanted to increase production of the XLR -- Cadillac's halo car -- because the division couldn't meet demand. David Leone, chief engineer for the Cadillac Sigma prestige vehicle architecture team, said then that dealer orders were "five times what we can build."

Leone said production would increase before the 2006 model year. But those plans have changed.

Says GM spokesman Stefan Weinmann: "We're very careful to make sure that on a brand like Cadillac, the inventory levels are more closely managed than some other brands in order to maintain its cachet." GM has never offered sales incentives on the XLR and has no plans to do so.

Eldon Renaud, president of UAW Local 2164, says there will be no layoffs at the Bowling Green plant, which employs 1,015 workers. He said GM trimmed production Feb. 8. Output of the Chevrolet Corvette, built at the same plant, will remain unchanged.

The cutback could be painful to some suppliers.

Meridian Automotive Systems Inc. of Dearborn, Mich., will build just half of the molded door panels it expected for the XLR. Idle capacity is expensive, but Meridian cannot use that equipment for other customers because at some point GM may resume higher XLR production.

Production slowdowns also make it tough for suppliers to recoup their costs.

In December 1999, HP Pelzer Automotive Systems Group of Troy, Mich., won the contract to supply acoustic and flooring material for the Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac Grand AM -- on the condition that it also take on the much smaller XLR and Corvette programs.

"It's a pain in the neck," says an industry executive familiar with that contract. "The tools you put in place cost more than the parts you sell" for the smaller programs, the executive said.

Adds the CEO of one XLR supplier, "We're all in the doldrums."

Jacques Moore, owner of Moore Cadillac in Richmond, Va., admits XLR demand has slowed, but adds: "It's important to remember it's a seasonal product."

Moore says an oversupply of XLRs is not good.

"The last thing we want to do is have a couple of dealers with three, four or five on the ground and then they need to have a sale," says Moore. "That would be the wrong idea."
Old 03-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am surprised it actually has sold that well if anything.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:01 PM
101 years of heartache...

LOL @ GM. ::pointsandlaughs::. I can't wait to rub this into my Domestic-loving friends. Little do they know that me being a Nissan and Honda lover can give them a quick reply with the old RL and Infiniti Q being even worse seller, but they don't need to know that .

I actually thought the car wasn't a bad idea and don't understand why it isn't doing well. I'm sure there are older die-hard Caddy fans that want a BMW 6 series orLexus SC-type car with American origins.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
I'm sure there are older die-hard Caddy fans that want a BMW 6 series orLexus SC-type car with American origins.
Actually it competes with the SL mercedes directly.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:56 AM
Banned

Since it's intro, my sight count of this car has been just one.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd rather have a C6 vert instead and pocket the difference.

Quick Reply: Cadillac: XLR news **Production to End (page 3)**