Acura: ILX News

Old 09-08-2018, 08:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,494 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
Oh I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. It is well documented that 9th gen was a result of Honda overreacting to the 2008 financial crisis so they had to reuse almost everything from the 8th gen part bin. Like you I also have drove both 8th and 9th gen extensively(my sister had a 9th gen, she drives a 10th gen now) I can definitely tell you how similar the older two Civics behave, and how much more advanced 10th gen is.

And the fact remains that this 2nd MMC ILX still rides on an extremely uncompetitive outdated platform.
no worries
yeah, the 9G Civic interior looked and felt cheap.

small world, my oldest daughter now has a 10G 2016 Civic LX (the 9G was totalled in a flood in 2016). Much better car, the infotainment and tech is so much better.
Interior materials ( displays, switches, plastic, cloth, carpeting,...) are nicer and factored for inflation was the same price as the 2012 9G she had.

ILX? Agree that's it's way overdue for a new redesigned chassis, and interior upgrade. A poor to fair design that should have been retired like the 4G TL.
Alot of the recent posting were wondering why no turbo, I'm guessing but the engine bay of the ILX can't easily take a L15B7.
There's alot of mechanical ancillary components (the low mounted intercooled) that take up more space than the NA K24 so it'd probably require a bit of engine bay redesign.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:23 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Yes, agreed.

In terms of “cranking” the power up on the 1.5T, I was thinking even 1 psi would do the trick. It would result in a minor power bump, but enough to get it that gain over the 2.4L and make it seem all new and better. Remember, this is a daily duty car, not a race car. No one expects a regular ILX to suddenly jump to 250hp. That extra 10-12hp or whatever, would help. And it would still be a smaller boost gain than whatever Hondata does with their stage 1 upgrade. Aka, it could still be well within Honda’s safe zone.

Either way, I think we’re on the same page with the ILX. Honda has a history of milking the crap out of slow selling models. The ILX is no different. But hey, if that allows to to fill the coffers a bit more and make a better next Gen product, whatever it might be, I’m down!
I hear you man. Tho the Civic Si 1.5T is already at over 20psi, vs 16psi for the normal Civic 1.5T. The CTR with a much better and stronger engine is at 23psi. I'm really not sure if Honda would wanna push the little 1.5T that bit more since it's designed more as a economical engine and probably can't take as much stress as the K20C. And then there's also the issue of the power curve when you put a larger turbo and turn up the boost. The CTR for instance is little gutless below 2000rpm, gets better from 2000-3000rpm, and it doesn't really reach full boost until 3000rpm. That kind of power curve might not suit the ILX.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
I'm pleasantly surprised at how good the ILX looks now. Honestly really sharp. But it's like putting lipstick on a pig, so it's not for me.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I hear you man. Tho the Civic Si 1.5T is already at over 20psi, vs 16psi for the normal Civic 1.5T. The CTR with a much better and stronger engine is at 23psi. I'm really not sure if Honda would wanna push the little 1.5T that bit more since it's designed more as a economical engine and probably can't take as much stress as the K20C. And then there's also the issue of the power curve when you put a larger turbo and turn up the boost. The CTR for instance is little gutless below 2000rpm, gets better from 2000-3000rpm, and it doesn't really reach full boost until 3000rpm. That kind of power curve might not suit the ILX.

The thing is.... we are not asking for the ILX to have anything significant over SI... but with FI cars, it is not hard to squeeze out another 10 or 20hp (Crank) to differential ILX... a better flow intake or exhaust will do just that. Unless the SI's system is as "free flow" as it is, which i highly doubt.
Shit, even if they are exactly the same... just say it has 10 more HP, isnt the 1.5T somewhat underrated anyway?

as far as the CTR, isnt that a typical issue with small engine that has big turbo and big hp #s?
Old 09-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
A bigger turbine will push more air, even at the same psi. You can still move 20PSI with a slightly bigger turbo, but because airflow is increased, you create more HP without adding any more boost into the engine. The potential downside is more turbo lag. But... if Acura slapped an electric motor to spool the turbo, they can avoid this (and apparently that is their plan for the 3.0T).

I remember reading about this and turbos in general, a very long time ago. 20PSI with one size of turbo is not the same as 20PSI with another size, at least as far as airflow is concerned.

And really, they would only have to slap on an incrimentally bigger turbo to get those 20hp gains. And maybe even drop the boost a bit, if necessary. The rest can be handled by the little electric motor spooling it up.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 5,281 Likes on 3,620 Posts
A bigger turbine will push more air, even at the same psi. You can still move 20PSI with a slightly bigger turbo, but because airflow is increased, you create more HP without adding any more boost into the engine. The potential downside is more turbo lag. But... if Acura slapped an electric motor to spool the turbo, they can avoid this (and apparently that is their plan for the 3.0T).

I remember reading about this and turbos in general, a very long time ago. 20PSI with one size of turbo is not the same as 20PSI with another size, at least as far as airflow is concerned.

And really, they would only have to slap on an incrimentally bigger turbo to get those 20hp gains. And maybe even drop the boost a bit, if necessary. The rest can be handled by the little electric motor spooling it up.
Honda + turbo-hybrid, what could go wrong? Maybe call Alonso for a consult...
Old 09-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Team Owner

Not a hybrid. The electric motor is somehow attached to just the turbo and keeps it spooled, or something rather. I don’t know the intricacies of it yet as it is fairly new stuff, but it is definitely not a traditional hybrid system.

but you’re right, I’d avoid the first two to three years of production. As much as that sucks.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:34 PM
Team Owner

Not a hybrid. The electric motor is somehow attached to just the turbo and keeps it spooled, or something rather. I don’t know the intricacies of it yet as it is fairly new stuff, but it is definitely not a traditional hybrid system.

but you’re right, I’d avoid the first two to three years of production. As much as that sucks.

If the turbo is consistantly being spooled, isnt that going to create other potential issues like reliability, heat?

I mean there are always ways to make more power... but if Honda does not want to spend $... they can just tweak their current 1.5T for the ILX... obviously we know the 2.0T will not going in.. or all issues will be resolved.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:43 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Were you expecting anything to change in that department? They weren’t going to put the very expensive CTR engine in every ILX. The other option was a 1.5T, which would net more or less the same power in stock form, of which many of these will stay in that guise.

at least it has the DCT transmission. I’d imagine it’s a fun little go cart to whip around in. Definitely not a race car by any stretch, but, it was never intended to be one anyway.
Even with similar HP and TQ numbers the two engines can be very different in delivery and if I was driving an ILX I wouldn’t want the engine to hit peak power and torque at high RPMs because that isn’t what this car is marketed to be. A 1.5T with torque from 1500-3000 rpm is going to be much more usable.

I just prefer forced induction even if I never tune it. The power delivery is more suitable for a non-sporty car.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

Just put the detuned version of the 2.0T in and done...

all other manufactures have no issues putting 2.0T in their $30k/40k range cars, it is only Acura/Honda somehow made a 2.0T such a big deal..... It is not....
Old 09-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
If the turbo is consistantly being spooled, isnt that going to create other potential issues like reliability, heat?

I mean there are always ways to make more power... but if Honda does not want to spend $... they can just tweak their current 1.5T for the ILX... obviously we know the 2.0T will not going in.. or all issues will be resolved.
no, it might just spool upon hitting the throttle... like an instant spool up, rather than waiting to whatever rpm. Like I said, I don’t know the intricacies of it. I’ll just wait for the 3.0T to come out with said tech
Old 09-13-2018, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

all other manufactures have no issues putting 2.0T in their $30k/40k range cars, it is only Acura/Honda somehow made a 2.0T such a big deal..... It is not....
Problem is, the 2G TLX base will likely have the 2.0T also. So why have the ILX even? I doubt every 2G TLX will have the 3.0T. I’m guessing it’s reserved for just the Type S model
Old 09-13-2018, 02:18 PM

Just a bit of a knock on the unreliability of the McHonda F1 team.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:40 PM
Team Owner

Problem is, the 2G TLX base will likely have the 2.0T also. So why have the ILX even? I doubt every 2G TLX will have the 3.0T. I’m guessing it’s reserved for just the Type S model

That is not an issue. BMW/Mercedes/Audi all use their 2.0T in their 2/3/5 series , A3/A4/A6 and etc... they can tune it differently for different applications but all the same engine.
Isnt the ILX smaller and competing in the segment below TLX? IMO, Acura should not have any 1.5T in their lineup...
Old 09-14-2018, 01:18 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,810 Likes on 3,840 Posts

It's not constantly spinning any more than it would without the electric motor. The motor just provides an assist to get it going before the exhaust stream takes over. Can't get that amount of air mass going without engine revs so the electric assist fixes that issue.

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-aud...min-1823681637

I can't see the ILX lasting past this generation. They'll introduce an Acura version of the HRV and call it good.

The detuned 2.0T is already in the Accord which makes the case for the TLX 2.0T even more vague unless they all come with the bigger V6 turbo. If they come with a non-detuned 2.0T then it's banging on the CTR's door which they can't have happen. The case for keeping Acura around at all is getting worse and worse. Just make the RDX, MDX, NSX honda models or trim levels and move on. No need to keep a different brand because it's not all that different to begin with.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,494 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Honda + turbo-hybrid, what could go wrong? Maybe call Alonso for a consult...
Alonso the ultimate Honda powertrain spokesman

Technically it's a hybrid if it's an electric motor, just a thermal vs kinetic hybrid. It's used currently in F1 but is extremely exprensive (6 figure MGU-H turbo's), that are very challenging requirements. MB is working on a road going version for it's new six cylinder ICE but it's been quiet the past couple years. MB does have a separate electric motor air compressor that runs on a 48V electrical system on some of the latest models. That provides short term boost in parallel until the turbo spools up.

I seriously doubt there will ever be much wide spread adoption of hybrid turbo's in production. The technology is too complex, expressive, and by the time it's worked out electric powertrains will overcome any advantage they sought to have.
Even F1 is trying to move away from MGU-T cause of how difficult some of the engine manufacturers are having with them.

The exhaust heat is always there, it's the spinning effect on the turbo bearings and turbine shaft seal. It's a wear item and the question is how long it will last.

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Just a bit of a knock on the unreliability of the McHonda F1 team.
McLaren Honda F1, watch that Amazon Prime documentary on the McLaren team. Classic is when Honda mates the first powertrain to the 2017 chassis and try to start the ICE with the MGU-K, nothing but lots of Japanese engineers with their notebook computers that are connected to the probably incredibly complex McLaren ECU trying to convince the the electric motor to spin, nothing after several minutes. Finally a air starter is brought out and it fires up.

I expect to see new redesigned TLX and ILX in a few years with more turbo 4's as the norm, perhaps still a J32 for the high end TLX. The RDX and NSX are showing the direction of future Acura vehicles.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-17-2018 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 12:39 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
The thing is.... we are not asking for the ILX to have anything significant over SI... but with FI cars, it is not hard to squeeze out another 10 or 20hp (Crank) to differential ILX... a better flow intake or exhaust will do just that. Unless the SI's system is as "free flow" as it is, which i highly doubt.
Shit, even if they are exactly the same... just say it has 10 more HP, isnt the 1.5T somewhat underrated anyway?

as far as the CTR, isnt that a typical issue with small engine that has big turbo and big hp #s?
Hahah that's what I was saying man. They can just claim it has more hp and be done with it, since the engine is already underrated to begin with. People aren't going to be able to tell the difference anyway since the Si has 6MT, and ILX has 8-DCT. I suspect the Si already has a higher intake and exhaust than other 1.5T applications. I'm really unsure if one would get 10-20hp more by going with something even higher flowing, especially for such a puny engine. In the FK8, expensive aftermarket exhaust and intake don't add much power. Also, my point wasn't about how easy or difficult it is to get more power out of a turbo engine - I know it's not that hard. Rather, my point was more about the power delivery and turbo lag. As is, while still good, the Si already has a bit more turbo lag than the 1.5T found in other applications.

I'd imagine that's the plan for the next gen ILX, if it's here to stay. But, going back to what we were discussing earlier, I think this 2019 ILX is just a stop gap model - to have all Acura models wearing the same grille while keeping the car not as outdated with relatively cheap modifications and upgrades. This is after all a car based on the 2012 Civic. It's probably wasn't engineered to take the 1.5T, let alone the 2.0T, without substantial engineering work.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:24 AM

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/03/...ilx-price-cut/

2019 Acura ILX gets $2,200 price cut to go with redesign, more features

Acura tries to lure more buyers to its smallest car

Acura brought a relatively substantial update to the 2019 ILX, and now it has chopped prices to boot. It starts at $26,895 including destination charges, a $2,200 reduction from the 2018 model. The price came down, yet Acura added to the car's standard equipment; that's something we can get behind. Now the full suite of Acura's driver assistance features come standard, instead of as a $1,300 option.

Exterior changes are the most obvious, with lots of new sheetmetal both front and back. You'll still be paying if you want the updated dual-screen infotainment system though. Equipped similarly to a 2018 model, it's $3,550 cheaper with the Premium and Technology packages. That same figure rings true for the A-Spec models too — an ILX with every package equipped tops out at $32,545 now, versus the $36,095 from before.

We're all for the heavy price cuts, but the ILX remains the same relatively boring vehicle under the new bodywork. The A-Spec model is still only an appearance package, and doesn't really pay homage to the sporty Acura compacts of the past. A 1997 Acura Integra Type R just sold for $63,800 at Barrett-Jackson. Seeing that, plus the fanfare surrounding the Civic Type R arriving in America, shows that there's clearly tons of untapped hype surrounding small, hot Hondas. A true successor to the Integra Type R, or even just the GS-R, would have enthusiasts tripping over themselves. Keeping the price low for such a vehicle like we see for the 2019 ILX would be the cherry on top.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Too bad they didn't just make the car $2,200 better. There's just nothing new under the hood. Get a 2.0T in there.
RPhilMan1 (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

Well good call on the price cut without cutting standard features. It gives a legit reason for buyers who are on a budget but dont want to buy Civics.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
No one in their right mind was paying within $5000 of MSRP anyway. These cars were heavily discounted. Nice to see the content bump.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
I think this might help sales a little, but it's still riding on a 2013 platform. The 2k cut with the new features definitely makes it a lot more attractive.

They also just eliminated the need for the tech package. With Apple Carplay and Android Auto in the premium trim there's no reason to get the technology package.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
I think this might help sales a little, but it's still riding on a 2013 platform. The 2k cut with the new features definitely makes it a lot more attractive.

They also just eliminated the need for the tech package. With Apple Carplay and Android Auto in the premium trim there's no reason to get the technology package.
To an average ILX buyer, he/she will never know what platform it is riding... RDX is helping bring customers into the door and i think ILX will do better. If this does not help, then they are hopeless.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Curious3GTL

True though the ELS system is noticeably better.

That would be my reason for it.
F23A4 (10-05-2018)
Old 03-01-2022, 08:42 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
In August 2021, Acura brand officer John Ikeda told Motor Trend, "Integra is not a replacement for ILX but Integra is our entry gateway vehicle. We don't plan on having something below that." Seems what he meant is that the Integra shouldn't be viewed as a new-generation of the ILX, because the Integra is replacing the ILX in every other way. In a video podcast on YouTube, two podcast hosts at Serra Acura said, "The Integra is replacing the ILX. That has been the clear message from them without saying the ILX is going away." Motor1 asked the Japanese luxury brand about the statement, getting the reply, "The 2022 model year is the final model year for the ILX, in anticipation of the new Integra."

The Acura spokesperson then followed up with, "The new Integra was developed from day 1 to deliver on the original lineage that began with Integra back in 1986 ... and will be the new entry point to the brand." This is in the vein of Ikeda's comment, where we're not meant to connect the Integra to the ILX, but see the two models as distinct branches in the family tree, like cousins by marriage instead of siblings. Acura wants this Integra to be seen as a delayed new generation for the lineup that ended in 2001 if you're a purist, or 2006 if you're willing to let the RSX into the house.

The effect today is still the same, the distinction unimportant. The 2022 ILX is the final model year for the 10-year-old sedan, which has sold more than 2,000 units in the U.S. in a single month only once since October 2013. The new entry-level vehicle is the Integra, priced a touch above the ILX at around $30,000.

With Integra pre-orders expected to begin March 10, the real surprise is how much we have let to learn about the coming hatchback. We're looking forward to the 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder up front, its output still unknown. That 2.4-liter, naturally aspirated four-cylinder in the ILX makes 201 horsepower and 180 pound-feet of torque, the Integra's 1.5-liter produces 200 hp and 192 lb-ft in the Honda Civic Si. We'd love for the Acura to get its due and make a noticeably more power than the Si. We know the Integra will offer a six-speed manual, but the automatic gearbox option remains a mystery. And other than checking out the interior of a static Integra on display at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, we're missing a whole bunch of details on features and amenities. We expect the blanks to get filled in soon.
2022 Acura ILX dies this year, replaced by Integra (autoblog.com)
Old 03-01-2022, 08:43 AM

Pretty sure everyone saw that coming.
Not much market case to have both side by side, both being tarted up Civics.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:25 PM
Team Owner

Exactly the same car. just different name...