Transmission Class Action Settlement Website - Transmission Letter

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
that's good to know as i bought my cls the same month/year. can't believe you're considering another acura after they've screwed us over.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:02 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the decision was mine alone, that would be an easy, but I have to consider all the choices that's given me because the wife will be driving the vehicle as a daily driver. The one thing I'm sure of is that with our next purchase, the automaker will have to hold customer service as high as product quality. Acura is third down the list in my book.

FWIW - Speaking from a perspective of having dealt with numerous other automaker's faulty parts(or recalls) and their dealerships, regardless of your experience with this settlement, Acura is still one of the better makes to deal with.

Deal with the domestics awhile and let me know how you feel in dealing with issues such as this.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:30 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
that's good to know as i bought my cls the same month/year. can't believe you're considering another acura after they've screwed us over.
There are other manufacturers that have had models with transmission problems across the board that never offered extensions on there warranty's or any else for that matter so I consider what Honda/Acura is doing the exception rather than the norm. I wouldn't rule out a manufacturer just because of that problem especially since it has already been corrected in current models.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:03 AM
SOLD

Here is a Q & A...or just a Q for now.

My 01 CLs is at the stealership right now, being examined after is has been shifting jerky and throwing an OBDII tranny code. If it needs a new tranny this would be the 4TH replacement. I have replaced all motor mounts and tranny mounts on my own dime, as the service reps and service manager along with an Acura Customer Service regional rep refuse to admit tranny failure and mount failure (even if only the tranny mounts) could be related.
After this no accountability fiasco I have taken the car to a different dealership. I told the service rep about my situation with the other dealership. BTW, I called the other dealership (FlatIrons Acura) to ensure the mounts were covered in case they were F'ed up again. The service rep knew exactly who I was and that my car is slightly modded, and stated repeatedly "unless the car has been raced..." The Courtesy Acura service rep asked if they had just replaced the tranny and I stated that they have twice now replaced it as well as the PCM and ECU. He thought that this should not happen and there was probably an underlying issue.
So they take a look and he says they didn't experience any symptoms of tranny failure (standard response), but they did find a failing 3rd gear clutch pack (isn't that part of a tranny failure?). He says that he had to put in a call to the district manager because he is not sure if a clutch pack, being an "internal" part of the tranny, is covered by the "external" tranny warranty. I told him that would be odd if it wasn't covered and the tranny didn't need to be replaced. He is supposed to call tomorrow and let me know the results. I might have to let HIM know about the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, specifically the part regarding "if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts." I would think this would cover the third gear clutch pack as well as tranny mounts, if not also motor mounts. I paid over $1,000 for all the mounts, and now could possibly face being charged for the clutch pack as well as any mounts damaged or broken. Is this something worth taking to court if it comes down to that?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 AM
4th Gear

performance

I've read through this thread and haven't seen this directly addressed. I had my transmission ('01 CL-S) replaced in Sept '06. While it fixed the shifting 'goofyness' I had been experiencing, the performance of the car just isn't there anymore (IMHO). Did they seriously de-tune our cars to make the trannys last a little longer? I'm referring mainly to the way transmission shifts when I say this. I understand that the programming was changed to make the shifts softer, but now mine does not like to shift down like it used to. Also, once it's in 2nd gear, it NEVER will go back down into 1st, unless I come to a stop (was it always that way?).

Maybe that's just the way it is now, but honestly it doesn't feel very sporty to me anymore. The TL I was given as a loaner was much more responsive which, to me, is sad.

Does anyone else have the same thoughts?

SD
Old 10-26-2007, 07:57 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Superdog
Also, once it's in 2nd gear, it NEVER will go back down into 1st, unless I come to a stop (was it always that way?).SD
My TL-S would if I really stomp on it but I've only tried it two or three times. This is probably not related but mine won't engage the V-TEC unless it's fully warmed up, but I think that's built into the programming on purpose.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tom Blasing
My TL-S would if I really stomp on it but I've only tried it two or three times. ...
You're right. I had to put it to the floor to get it to go back to first, and it was still stubborn about it. I haven't driven it very hard lately, so the tranny has probably learned that, which may explain some of the reluctance to shift down when I think it should.

Thanks for responding.

Stu
Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

my girlfreind almost got into accident about 10 times, i just found this site and am happy to see that shes not the only one with transmission problem, im taking it to dealership tomorrow, car has 98k miles on it and tranny slips extremeley bad, i will update on what happens. we just bought the car about 3 months ago and over last month its gotten worse and worse.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by efx
What would be the normal lifespan of a transmission in a similar car. That should be the critiria for the extension in my opinion. I know at this point it doesnt matter, just a thought.

200K plus? I know my friend has a 89 acura and it has 240K on the original at........
Old 08-27-2009, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

Give me break!

Hey, I just joined in. My wife got a 2000 3.2Tl from her folks, and we have had it a year and the tranny went into buck and slam in traffic. No Acura dealer in my town, so I went to AAMCO. The rebuild cost $3200. Acura has not gotten back to me on any reimbursement. This "high Quality" vehicle has only 164K on it and the Torque converter disintegrates? BTW, the Torque Converter took all the speed solenoids and switches along with it, costing more in parts than the labor to rebuild. Seems to me that Honda/Acura should stand behind their product. I have currently a Mazda auto/4WD, a Buick,a Honda Accord and a Plymouth. All have over 200K on them with nary a tranny problem. I'm just looking to Honda to reimburse me for the parts cost. $1800 for solenoids and switches? Serious mechanical defects here...
Has anyone had any luck with partial reimbursement?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:53 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure this is a stupid question

What's up, I'm a noob!!!I bought a used 01 cl type s with 120,000 on it and the tranny seems awesome, but are there dealers still doing a goodwill fix on them by chance? Since I'm not the original owner would I be able to do anything anyways?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

Tranny went out on my wife today. 03 cl with less than 82000 miles on it. Can it be covered with the extended warranty?
Old 12-10-2011, 03:24 AM
Advanced

Canadian info so not sure if it applies in the U.S. but my warranty was extended in February, 2007 for the second time from 7/160,000 km to 93 months/175,000 km. The effective period is from the original delivery date until the calendar limit expires.

I lapsed on October 26, 2009 but there's only 72,000 km on the odometer. Thought with the mileage I'd have a strong case, which started on the 5th but so far it's not going well and I don't expect it to get any better but I'll keep at it.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Keep on them and it might pay off.

I wasn't satisfied with the first goodwill offer from Customer Relations so I wrote a letter to senior management and ended up getting a better deal.

After it was all said and done I got a factory new remanufactured transmission and a new ECU/PCM installed and paid 45% with Acura picking up 55%

The only downside was the 1 year/20,000 km warranty vs. the 3/36 in the U.S. I wrote a letter on that as well but they wouldn't budge.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Banned

Anyone still having problems, even with the replacement transmissions? I'm on my fourth tranny, all under warranty. I don't remember how much time is left on the most recent warranty.

CB
Old 06-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
^ raplacements seem to hold up better but the issues are not resolved overall.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:42 PM
7th Gear

I have a 01 CL types S and it has been the most unreliable car I have Ever had, and I had a 82 AMC Concord (google it). I am on my 4th transmission in 7 years. I bought the car becuse it had the transmission recall a month earlier by acura. A month later it went out the 1st time. Acura has installed the #'s 2 and 3 for labor only. This time they told me it would be 4600.00 for a transmission that WILL FAIL in 2 to 3 years. Can you give me the info on that lawsuit or who is the lawfirm that is involved before I sell this lemon.
Thanks

Last edited by Rockals; 07-25-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 PM
I like peanut butter

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2001 CL just had the tranny rebuilt. Only has 52k miles. First time tranny went out or any troubles with this car. Was my mom's, and babied until I took the car from her a year ago. I got the car with 31k miles. I don't abuse this car...

So as I did research, I did find out the tranny in these cars are apparently worthless pretty much. I'm doubting this lawsuit is still going on, and not sure it's really worth writing a letter to Acura and chasing that down. I have $3k less in my bank account, and have a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty from the transmission shop that did the work. And guess what, within days already had clunks and bangs going on, so as soon as I can get another car lined up for a couple days, it's going back for warranty work. This makes me want to get rid of the car, even though it's paid for, gets over 30 mpg, and still a nice looking car. I was getting ready to just go trade the car in for a brand new car, but didn't make it to a dealership before the engine light came on. O'well..

Any thoughts on what I should do? What I should or should not waste my time with? Thanks
Old 08-02-2014, 09:57 AM
3rd Gear

2005 Acura tl Faulty transmission

Is there anyone own a 2005 acura tl who would like to start a class action lawsuit against honda for faulty transmissions
Old 04-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Cruisin'

ok so i gotta ask,i bought a 2001 3.2 cl about a month ago and thus became a member of this site. lots of great info thank you to all who contribute. i was unaware of the transmission issues that have plagued this car. i know that the transmission in mine was done 5-6 years ago and the car now has 349k and no signs of a problem as yet. im horified to read some of the stories along the net about this transmission but i ask, is it possible that a transmission put in in 2009/20010 would have a better chance of lasting for the remaining life of this car? the motor is solid save but for the "heat soak" issue which i managed to solve to an acceptable degreee by removing the fpr vacuum hose. im pretty capable with used cars ads a driveway mechanic but trannys are outside my realm of knowledge. any input or advice, im listing the car for sale but i really dont want to im just afraid of this tranny! thanks
Old 04-01-2016, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

2001 CL Type-S

I purchased my Acura in 2014 with 190k miles, took my car out of town and about an hour from my destination my transmission went completely out! I heard about a class action suit/recall but the Acura rep told me it was only issued to certain VIN numbers and (of course) mine wasn't one of them. 6 weeks and $3500 later I got a rebuild at a "specialty shop" and as soon as I had gotten it home my check engine light came one with a code for a torque converter solenoid. I love this car but don't know if I can keep shelling out cash for repairs
Old 05-12-2016, 10:16 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, my TL-S just took a dump last week w/67k miles. Luckily I was close to home and on level pavement to get it back into the garage. Had it towed to my dealer where they tested it and called back and forth with the district service rep. I do have the receipt for a flushing the trans fluid at a dealer the same time I had the timing belt done in 12'.

Got a call back from the dealer saying that it's all covered. Whew!! Would have run me about $4k for a new one. I think one of the main things that got it approved was that the car is (almost) immaculate. They said it would take about a week to get it done but I'm o.k. with that, seeing what it would have cost me otherwise. I have a call out to them now to see if all this includes getting a loaner. A new car or one off the used lot, I don't care, as long as it rolls under it's own power.