Poor Acura Customer Service

Old 10-08-2015, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor Acura Customer Service

Just a heads up to advise one more dissatisfied Acura owner. I have an 02 CL with less than 61K miles on it. I have maintained the engine every 5K miles using only Mobil 1 synthetic and did a complete change out of tranny fluid at 47K using the recommended Honda transmission fluid.
The other day I was driving down the 405 fwy in L.A. and the transmission "surged" (as in threw me forward in the seat) as though the transmission decided to drop into 1st gear and then back up to normal RPM range again. I knew something was really screwed up with the transmission so I maintained a constant speed until I got to my exit 4 miles down the road. When I exited the freeway, the transmission started revving up and down trying to find the correct gear, slipping along the way. Obviously something was wrong and I only hoped the tranny would last long enough to get me home.
I contacted Acura Client Relations to see what concessions they might consider relative to repairing a meticulously maintained transmission with only 60K miles on it. I was advised to take it into an Acura dealership to have them diagnose the problem and they would consider the matter after further assessment. $150 later with no technical diagnosis other than a "yeah, it's screwed up" and a $6800 estimate, I called Acura Client Relations back to plead my case.
I was advised my Client Relations that the recall extended the warranty mileage to 100K (I think) but the age of the car was outside of their warranty period. I suggested that I could understand their not covering the stitching on a seat or crack in a dashboard but time shouldn't affect the functionality of a maintained transmission.
To cut to the chase, Acura would not consider any compensation in this matter given the warranty period. When I asked them why they would direct me to pay a $150 diagnosis fee if they had no intention of picking up any of the associated costs, they said that if the problem was related to the "2nd gear recall" they might consider sharing some of the expenses associated with the repair of the transmission but that would have to be determined by the dealership. I was denied even the $150 diagnosis fee they had directed me to incur.
My issue is the complete denial of Acura assuming any responsibility for a premium vehicle meticulously maintained with a history of transmission problems. Acura obviously doesn't care about their customers or they would have at the very least offered to pay the $150 diagnostic fee I was directed to incur. The transmissions have had a sordid history of breaking down and you might expect some sort of compensation for a car with so few miles on it.
Can anyone advise whether having the transmission rebuilt (outside of Acura with a quoted estimate of $2500) would assure a more reliable transmission...one that might last another 40K to 50K miles, or should I just bite the bullet and sell it for parts? One further question…can anybody refer me to a reputable transmission rebuild shop in the Los Angeles (Southbay) area and how much should I expect to pay?