Good news for the auto trannys: Extended 100k Warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Scrib
The USA Today article clearly states that it will be a 7yr/100K warrany on the tranny only.

If this is in fact what happens, then having your own extended warranty still sounds like a good idea.
Yea, I'm thinking the same too.
They wouldn't smear the customers who already purchased
a $1000 7yr./100k extended warranty.
-----------------------------------------------------
Its not b.s. Stoner. I'm betting that if you want the full extended warranty, then you'd have to shell out the full amount.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by jimcol711
guys, just to send us the letters about the tranny, its going to cost Honda about 384,000 bucks!!! hahahahah (1.2 million letters times 32 cents a peice for postage....not to mention the cost of the paper and printing the letters....hahahahah) this letter alone will likely cost them over 400,000 bucks!! let alone the trannys they have to replace now
Presorted first class BULK mail costs MUCH less wiseguy :P
Old 09-20-2002, 02:13 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by KavexTrax
Yea, I'm thinking the same too.
They wouldn't smear the customers who already purchased
a $1000 7yr./100k extended warranty.
-----------------------------------------------------
Its not b.s. Stoner. I'm betting that if you want the full extended warranty, then you'd have to shell out the full amount.
So you dont think they will even lower the price on a FULL extended warrenty?

I wonder how much stupid things like the power seats cost to fix if it broke..
Or how much $$ for a broken actulater?

Anyone know?
Old 09-20-2002, 02:17 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by StonedCL
So you dont think they will even lower the price on a FULL extended warrenty?

I wonder how much stupid things like the power seats cost to fix if it broke..
Or how much $$ for a broken actulater?

Anyone know?
It's not so much parts anymore, it's the labor that rips the shit out of you. Just a couple minor incidents that take 2 hours each at $70/hour make the extended warranty pay for itself.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:40 PM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to jimcol and everyone: DON'T PUT IN THE OLD STYLE TRANNY!!
a couple reasons #1 the old design will keep on blowing trannys because the design sucks (if you look at my post before i explained why the old style trannys lock up) #2 they might have (i haven't even talked acura dealer about this cause this is so new) changed gears or something so you guys might get better launches or better mileage :P
Old 09-20-2002, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
FYI to all.. I added a link to Honda's site on Water-S' original post....
Old 09-20-2002, 03:00 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Lets say in 3 years my tranny brakes. How am I going to prove to my dealer that my 03 AT Cl-S has a 7 year 100,000 mile tranny extended warranty. Am I supposed to expect a letter or something from Honda. Also, if I do not receive one if i am supposed to, then how should I follow up on that. Also, can someone explain what the actuator is, and how I would know if it broke?
Old 09-20-2002, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Renegade
Lets say in 3 years my tranny brakes. How am I going to prove to my dealer that my 03 AT Cl-S has a 7 year 100,000 mile tranny extended warranty. Am I supposed to expect a letter or something from Honda. Also, if I do not receive one if i am supposed to, then how should I follow up on that. Also, can someone explain what the actuator is, and how I would know if it broke?
Per the articles... the affected car owners will be receiving letters. I'm also sure that the warranty will be indicated on the service computers... as the extended warranty is now.

If you do not receive one and you feel you should have you would call Acura Customer Service and they will let you know by you VIN number.

Information on the actuator can be found on our FAQ, or you can just click the link below.....

http://www.geocities.com/gamesmgr/chod/acura/#Driving6
Old 09-20-2002, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AIN'T READING THIS WHOLE THREAD....... THIS IS PHUCKING BULLSH!T....... YOU MUTHASUCKA'S SHOULDA BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY LIKE I DID WHEN I FIRST PURCHASED THE CAR..... NOW YOU GUYS ARE COVERED FOR FREEE....... BULLSH!T I TELL YOU.......

j/p......:P :P Glad to see Acura coming to their senses..... I guess I can keep away from the Audi's a little bit longer......
Old 09-20-2002, 05:38 PM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS
Danny25 and Rod - I am using Rondog's issue as a point for that. He was went to the dealership to get his car worked on and his transmission. The dealer gave him a load of BS because of his CAI. Now if I were to mod my car and they said this was a part of the problem BS! Honda had a problem with the trannys b4 modding. So, if i were to come into the dealership and my tranny went, there should be no discussion on me having to pay for the next one because i modded my car. Reread the post by rondog about his tranny and modds. I am not worried about HONDAs engines because for the most part they are bullet proof. I was worried about the tranny and dealers not servicing them because of modds. The mong(don't know the spelling) MOSS ACT or whatever you call it still applies here.
It's RockDog, not Rondog
Old 09-20-2002, 05:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Props to Acura!

Be happy they did something! Just think if this was GM or Ford!
You would get nothing!
Old 09-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Race Director

After seven pages, I'm just getting into the reading so it's probably a big unfair to be judgmental but I do see that this is good news for everyone (even me although I have an extended warranty). Yes, there are a few greedy people here who always want something for nothing but that's to be expected.

Like I said earlier, Honda/Acura knew all about the problem all along, they read on this board all the time, I don't think it was the pressure from this board that brought results, the type of pressure that would result from a full press that could be found on ACL would have resulted in more than an extended tranny warranty. Honda/Acura just did what they were suppose to do and I think their timing was only slightly off. You gotta remember this problem started out slow, we know on the Internet and lived with it a lot longer than the [regular] public, and it was a stumper so I guess the only issue is what about if your's fail and inconvenience you and/or the safety factor? So far, no recall.....

Also I think it's funny how a few have changed their tune overnight. I still think Honda/Acura is a great company and they make great products, but mind you I don't work for them, I just buy their cars.
Old 09-20-2002, 05:58 PM
Darth Tator

Originally posted by fastvtecCL
hell yea !!!!! i'm going to spray a 200 shot today
i don' think they mention anything about '99 Cl being covered
am i wrong?
Old 09-20-2002, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally posted by kensteele
After seven pages, I'm just getting into the reading so it's probably a big unfair to be judgmental but I do see that this is good news for everyone (even me although I have an extended warranty). Yes, there are a few greedy people here who always want something for nothing but that's to be expected.

Like I said earlier, Honda/Acura knew all about the problem all along, they read on this board all the time, I don't think it was the pressure from this board that brought results, the type of pressure that would result from a full press that could be found on ACL would have resulted in more than an extended tranny warranty. Honda/Acura just did what they were suppose to do and I think their timing was only slightly off. You gotta remember this problem started out slow, we know on the Internet and lived with it a lot longer than the [regular] public, and it was a stumper so I guess the only issue is what about if your's fail and inconvenience you and/or the safety factor? So far, no recall.....

Also I think it's funny how a few have changed their tune overnight. I still think Honda/Acura is a great company and they make great products, but mind you I don't work for them, I just buy their cars.
I want them to do more than 7yr/100K, they should cover your transmission for life time if it fails because of the freaken design flaw.... What if your 3rg gear bearing problem only surfaces after 100K miles? So far there is no clear indication at what milage this problem happens... some have at 10K some have at 60K...

I am not greedy, I just think that specifc design flaw should be covered lifetime. To be fare, they can open a transmission and determine the source of the problem... if the source of the problem is the design flaw there were talking about... it must be covered for lifetime!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 06:33 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by russianDude
I want them to do more than 7yr/100K, they should cover your transmission for life time if it fails because of the freaken design flaw.... What if your 3rg gear bearing problem only surfaces after 100K miles? So far there is no clear indication at what milage this problem happens... some have at 10K some have at 60K...

I am not greedy, I just think that specifc design flaw should be covered lifetime. To be fare, they can open a transmission and determine the source of the problem... if the source of the problem is the design flaw there were talking about... it must be covered for lifetime!!!
Russiandude, there are limits to everything, there will always be isolated cases of what if's, but they probably figured on some statistic about how long the average owner keeps a car

most failures are either a design flaw or limits of materials, thats how most products are updated with new designs
Old 09-20-2002, 07:01 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey, Whatsup guys

I have a friend who is a Honda Tech and he told me Honda did indeed correct the issues that was wrong w/the 3rd clutch pack bearing....instead of just replacing the blown tranny w/another defective one I'll ask him 4 for specifics/details later but he told me that the tranny was redesigned...He told me that the new generation of 5spd trannies (03 Accord and prob 03 MDX) should not be plagued by this problem anymore and all 5spd's w/v6s should be fine by model year 2004...He said Corporate Honda of Japan was supposedly very pissed at American Honda and was beginning to think that this would become a black eye to the company and thus ordered meetings and re-evaluations of the tranny...

I do not understand why Corporate honda of Japan would be pissed since the trannies are built in Japan My friend did mention that the North America is Honda's largest market and they can't afford to lose share here due to their own stupidity (i.e. under-designed trannies)....plus they didn't want it 2 blow up in their face like firestone and ford
Old 09-20-2002, 08:04 PM
Mild Mannered Reporter

how's this for timing...

my tranny blow today - 9/20/2002 - with 52026 miles.

I was a little more than pissed! I over it now, but it caused the rest of my day to be hell, and I'm not just talking about waiting the the Florida sun while AAA took their sweet time coming to get me.

I hope that when the dealership looks at the car on monday, they have and open mind and know about the extended warranty. I've already printed this information and I sure they'll take care of me.

Now I can only hope for a nice loaner.

J
Old 09-20-2002, 08:47 PM
Oh...Behave!

Wrong!

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
great.. now at 41Kmiles I have fears about my tranny starting to shake when shifting or lifting up on gas....

I already have a FREE Acura 6/years 100,000 miles Extended Power train warrenty. Acura is making it a better deal for 7-years/100kmiles on the tranny only. now if I hit 90 kmiles and the tranny dies... The newer tranny should hold up for an extra 100,000 kmiles.

I am all set now.
They're NOT going to add them together back to back! - You'll get 100k coverage TOTAL!
Old 09-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

sure it is only 100,000 kmiles... I meant to say if the tranny held up to 90kmiles and went south you would expect the new one that was replaced under the extended warrenty to serve you an extra 100,000 miles...
Old 09-20-2002, 09:29 PM
go like hell

unsure:the tranny's are built about 5 or 6 miles from my house near indian lake,ohio. (it was like a stone throw from my high school).so they are built in the good old USA.
now about the tranny replacements. believe it or not there's 2 generation trannys from 01 to 03 CLs and TLs
the gen 1 trannys were put in the 01 and 02 cars(these as you other guys can tell you are garbage)
the gen 2 trannys are good trannys these are are on the 03 CLs and TLs
now what the acura will do if you blow a tranny they will unbolt your 01 or 02 tranny and bolt in a 03 tranny. your saying why is the 03 different. They redid the design of that bearing in the tranny for the 03. so it's very likely for a 01 or 02 car have a 03 tranny:P
Old 09-20-2002, 09:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Scrib
And what if you bought an extended warranty???
You may have paid too much.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by russianDude
I want them to do more than 7yr/100K, they should cover your transmission for life time if it fails because of the freaken design flaw.... What if your 3rg gear bearing problem only surfaces after 100K miles? ... it must be covered for lifetime!!!
Once again you are being unreasonable Duder. I am thankful that we got this extension on our transmissions warranty.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by acura_service
Russiandude, there are limits to everything, there will always be isolated cases of what if's, but they probably figured on some statistic about how long the average owner keeps a car

most failures are either a design flaw or limits of materials, thats how most products are updated with new designs
I am not talking about any type of tranny failure, only if it fails because of the same 3rd gear bearing issue.
So to make things clear, does it mean if I can go more than 100K miles on the original transmission, it means my 3rd gear bearing is fine, or it can go any moment ?
In your oppinion, is it reasonable to expect ORIGINAL transmission to work until 200K miles like on many good old Toyota Camrys ??? what is the chance your original transmission will ever hold until 200K miles, 3% chance??

Anyway, that's fine with me... if I am confident that the replacement transmission is free of issues, I would not be to pissed to replace it after warranty with my own money ( ofcourse if I still have this car by that time ). Cause it seems that our engines are very good, and car should last till 200K miles.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:37 AM
Suzuka Master

This story made the Ch.4 NBC news at 11 in LA
Old 09-21-2002, 01:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
awesome, thanks for the news.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
This is still a poor excuse on acura part. I mean ok now you got the warrenty... and IF your tranny does go out, its free.. well thats good news.. but how about how most have to wait almost A MONTH for it? So basicly you are without a car for a month or so. Still doesnt tickle my pee pee
Old 09-21-2002, 01:55 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Woodfield said they could do the trans in 2 days......garunteed!
Old 09-21-2002, 02:04 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
So basicly you are without a car for a month or so. Still doesnt tickle my pee pee
And why would it BM Weenie?
Old 09-21-2002, 02:45 AM
Pro

Well it's about friggin time!

I guess that LA Times article got their attention!!

MAYBE I will buy the wife a Pilot or Odyssey next April.
Old 09-21-2002, 03:11 AM
4th Gear

Does anyone care about the safety issue with these bad transmissions and why a mandatory recall was not called for by the NHTSA instead? The LA times article about that guy's tranny slamming into 2nd gear while going 80mph scared the s!@# out of me. Yes, I agree Acura is headed in the right direction by extending the warranty and that's great, but think about it, if I'm dead the extended warranty is worthless. Call me crazy, but I value my life and don't feel safe anymore in my beloved Type-S anymore.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...tos%2Dhighway1
Old 09-21-2002, 04:31 AM
Instructor

would anyone else be upset knowing that after seven years of ownership we'll then finally realize what a really bad decision this was... so instead, we should all sell our cars now! let's leave the agony and pain of owning a CL to the next group of losers...
Old 09-21-2002, 07:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by SilverBulletCLS
would anyone else be upset knowing that after seven years of ownership we'll then finally realize what a really bad decision this was... so instead, we should all sell our cars now! let's leave the agony and pain of owning a CL to the next group of losers...
Yeah, that's what I mean. Even if you make it to 100K on the original transmission, what are the chances your transmission will work much longer? You know, some people like to buy cars with 100K miles and drive them for another 100K. That's what I did when I was a student, I got myself Toyota Camry with 100K miles and had it till 190K miles without any major problems.

That's why I said its better if they can cover this design flaw for life-time. Not just ANY transmission failure, only the one related to 3rd gear bearing!

On the other hand, lets say your tranny fails at 100K miles... but you are really crazzy about this car and want to have it for another 100K miles, it might be worse it to pay $5,000 to have new transmission ( provided that the problem is fixed )
Well, I really hope that if your tranny is doomed to fail it will do so before 100K miles.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:17 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

asking tranny to work hard for 200,000 kmiles at 15 kmiles/year that is 14-15 years.... Sorry I don't need to drive the same car for that long... CL is not a collectible....

I will buy a new car!!
Old 09-21-2002, 08:49 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Water-S

the gen 1 trannys were put in the 01 and 02 cars(these as you other guys can tell you are garbage)
the gen 2 trannys are good trannys these are are on the 03 CLs and TLs
On the TL board there are 2003 TL-S that have blown trannies.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:13 AM
__

Originally posted by Chaptorial
On the TL board there are 2003 TL-S that have blown trannies.
That's why the new warranty covers some 03 models...They fixed the prob. after a few of the 03's were built.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
asking tranny to work hard for 200,000 kmiles at 15 kmiles/year that is 14-15 years.... Sorry I don't need to drive the same car for that long... CL is not a collectible....

I will buy a new car!!
Dude, I know, if you drive 15k miles a year, its fine... But just to give you an example, I had a job 3 years ago, and it was 60miles one way, 120miles a day 5 times a week... Plus all the weekend driving.... I turned my Toyota Camry clock by 50K miles in just one year !!! You can never be sure what will happen in your life, and how much driving you will need.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:47 PM
Blown LS6!!

Ugh. This board depresses me. Even good news is bad news. Ya know, shit happens. Try to be happy until it does. This isn't a perfect car but it's still a DAMN nice car. I know, I know - 'just wait until YOUR tranny blows.' Well, when it occurs, it'll be covered. I'm not gonna baby my car just because there is a 1.5% chance of the tranny going. I mean, think about it. Condoms are 1.5% ineffective. Does that mean you stop having sex???
Old 09-21-2002, 02:17 PM
Broke youngster :(

ya i saw this on the news at 11 in LA, PT woo hoo, it didnt come out this morning, FRIDAY BABY!!

WOO HOO but if my tranny goes, ill prob still end up selling my parts and selling the car stock.... Made some evaluations and prob go //M3

Nick out
Old 09-21-2002, 03:43 PM
__

Originally posted by nvpscore
ya i saw this on the news at 11 in LA, PT woo hoo, it didnt come out this morning, FRIDAY BABY!!

WOO HOO but if my tranny goes, ill prob still end up selling my parts and selling the car stock.... Made some evaluations and prob go //M3

Nick out
So you are get rid of your CL when your tranny dies and buy an M3??? So what are u going to buy when your M3's engine blows.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:40 PM
Broke youngster :(

Originally posted by Acura3.0CLP
So you are get rid of your CL when your tranny dies and buy an M3??? So what are u going to buy when your M3's engine blows.
Thats why I'm waiting for the e56 //M3

The engine problem should be fixed, hopefully....

If not, prob s2200 and save the money for mods, SC for sure

Nick out

Quick Reply: Good news for the auto trannys: Extended 100k Warranty!