100K + goodwill Dealer replacement or not.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:30 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skyline98
After talking with Acura Corporate offices then did the dealer call me back and changed his tune. It was MR this and MR that.

So as it stands the dealer will repull the transmission and if the 2nd gear is burnt like it should then they will do the tranny replacement for free!

Plus i get a 07 TSX loaner.

Hope this helps!

BTW acura advised me that the transmission cost the dealer nothing, so if you have a dealer not willing to work call Acura and call other dealers. They know the tranny was crap from the start and they seem to be willing to work with you.
I was wondering if you can provide me info on how you got in contact with Acura Corporate office. My claim for a transmission repair was denied due to the fact that my 01-CL have 118K.

Thank you.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Simple, yet complicated.

Well Pohanka Acura will replace the transmission in my CL for free. They will warranty the tranny for 3years and 36k miles.

Before i puchased i did my homework and I contacted my local dealership with the following questions:

1. Has the transmission in this car been replaced?

2. Tell me in chlid like terms how the recall works and how the safty recall works.

Things that you have to take in consideration when you approach the dealer, THE TRANNY REPLACEMENT WILL NOT COST THEM A DIME aside from labor. So at worst if you have to spring for the labor and get the tranny you are coming out on top.

Is you car eligible for the tranny recall? (Check the class action website, you will need your VIN number).

If it is, has it been replaced? By whom and where. There are a couple of ways that you can go about this, 1. Pay the 20 bucks for a carfax report contact the dealer on record that the car has been serviced at. Call Acura (i found the number here on the site) and change owership and they will be happy to give you all the information they have on the car.

My saving grace was the car i purchased was eligible and the tranny and it had never been replaced.

But from what i have learned, the miles are not a consideration in regards to the safty recall on the transmission, you have to have a "burnt" second gear and the dealer will have to install a OIL JET, but if the tranny is shot then the dealer really has no choice but to change the tranny.

All the best to you and i hope that you get it resolved with out shelling out 4k.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:54 AM
5th Gear

Well - I basically got told by Acura that I'm SOL.

The dealership verified that I am having a transmission problem. It slips between 1-2 and 2-3 and some erratic upshift. The dealership denied my claim which led me to call Acura Corp.

I called Acura Corp. and they gave me a case number and had me talk to a case manager. After hearing my story...I got the same response from the dealer. "I'm not making any promises, but we'll see what we can do."

I got a call from Acura Corp. this morning and was told that after further review, and discussions with the dealership and the GM, that they are sorry to say but my claim is still denied due to the 118K mileage.

So, even though the tranny on my car has never been replaced by Acura EVER, and my VIN clearly states that my car qualifies for the settlement (I went to the class action website: http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com), Acura STILL REFUSES to fix my tranny even though I was willing to pay for labor. I was quoted just under $3800 to have it fixed at the dealership.

I am at such a loss.....
Old 06-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Simple, yet complicated.

PM'd you. I really feel for you and we have the EXACT situation. Call me and i will tell you what i went off of to get the tranny replaced.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:06 PM
5th Gear

I don't seem to have access to PM. Could you please email me at psykdelic1@yahoo.com.

Thank you.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 PM
2003 Satin Silver CL-S

Just bought an 03 Type S

I just bought my car yesterday. How do i know if the tranny was already replaced? When i wa driving home the tranny did something funny on the onramp. I checked and my VIn is one that is covered. Should i take it to a dealership just to be safe?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:30 PM
3rd Gear

H/A Tranny's suck!!!

Originally Posted by CL98Blues
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but unfortunately have joined the bad tranny club. Mine went out last week on Tuesday. I knew it was going to go out a few weeks ago. My Acura CL is a 1998 3.0. I tried checking my VIN on the settlement case, and it say's I'm not eligible. I worked with two other people who had bad transmission in their 96, and 97. As I limped it home from work on Tuesday, my engine light went on a block before I hit my driveway. This added insult to injury. A strong rubber/chemical odor was present enough for me to smell in the car, and others to smell outside the driveway. The belts are fine. The car is now dead in the driveway. Does anyone know where a person like me with a 98 needs to go? Are there any court rulings, or current cases open for us first generation CL folks? Does anyone know if people will buy the remains of my car so I can at least get something for this heap? It's a shame I still owe on a loan for this car. I've been told by my mechanic that it will be 4K to get a new (rebuilt) one, but after I did some research on the web, and talking to Acura mechanics, I am so shocked to know a lot of folks replaced there transmisisons more than once! The reason I got rid of my old car and purchased an Acura was due to the reliability that I thought came with the Honda/Acura brand. I know never to buy another Acura again. I already called client services (before it died) at Acura and was treated rude and dismissed immediately. I called both my local dealers and they said "sorry, but 120K miles is too much". I am writing a letter to Acura's client services, but not sure if that will do any bit of good. I'm not holding my breath after reading what many of you have said. In closing -- NighthawkBlue -- your information has been very valuable.
Okay first off... the warranty will cover trannys to 109,000. This is per Acura, how do I know... because I built all your cars!!! I've been a Honda assoc. since 1988 at the Marysville, Ohio plant... that's right we built all TL's since '99 and CL's 'till they discontinued them in'03. Me and a friend from the plant do Honda/Acura repair after working in the plant, daily. So if you need a tranny replaced after the warranty period we can have a trans rebuilt by a quality control staff assoc at the HTM trans facility and install it for about $1200 (parts and labor!) for ANY Honda/Acura product. The tranny will be built with the most recent specs/updates known.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyNorq
I just bought my car yesterday. How do i know if the tranny was already replaced? When i wa driving home the tranny did something funny on the onramp. I checked and my VIn is one that is covered. Should i take it to a dealership just to be safe?
Any lights on the dash?? How often does "somthing funny" happen?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:08 PM
2003 Satin Silver CL-S

New Guy

Originally Posted by deematic
Any lights on the dash?? How often does "somthing funny" happen?
It only did it once.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:20 PM
9th Gear

Worried about my transmission

I just bought my 2001 CL type-s at 81k miles. It's an automatic and it definitely shifts really hard sometimes. It also has a sluggish pull sometimes when i'm cruising. What do you guys think i should do? How will I know if it needs a new transmission?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:18 PM
3.2CLType-princeSS

what if your acura cl is salvage can you still get covered for a tranny replacement?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Advanced

01 cl-p. first tranny replaced at 55k free of charge, second one just went tonight at 102k. I had the extented bump to bump warranty. What do you think my chances are of a free replacement? I will follow up once i talk to my dealer.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Lead Foot Extraordanaire

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CL-S -

Had my VSA light come on after a 120 mile drive. Reset the code and waited a week for it to flip again. Took it in and they replaced it under goodwill warranty. I have been very impressed each time I have dealt with my service department. (Dave Mungenast's St Louis Acura) I was considering getting a G35x, but after having an RDX loaner all week, I was sold.

Big thanks to acura for going the extra mile, I am so glad I don't have a Ford anymore....
Old 09-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes it's true my '00 TL tranny #1 went at 164,000 miles and they did it as good will since I bought the car there and had some service done as well (timing belt etc). But when they did the tranny they also got me for a motor mount and alternator, but I doubt the alternator was bad. It came to $800 anyway. BTW that tranny is still fine at 229,000 miles now.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:34 PM
5th Gear

Bought my '02 Acura CL from Hillside Acura in Bay Shore, NY on Long Island. Car had about 25K on it when I purchased it in August '05. The mileage is now up to about 59,500 and most of it is highway miles since I commute to school, during non-peak traffic hours, four days a week. Maybe a 40 mile trip roundtrip. I'd say about a month ago I started to have some problems. First, the shifts were becoming much harder. Secondly, I'm getting flares before the shifts, about a 1,000 rpm surge before the shift (slipping). On two occassions, it almost like "locked" into a gear and wouldn't accelerate before finally kicking out of it. The weird thing was that it'd come and go, I didn't always get the "flare" of rpms, but it was more often than not. Planning on selling the car and didn't want to sell a lemon so I bought it in to the dealership this morning. My VIN is covered under the lawsuit, but I'm still far under the factory 100,000K warranty anyways. I explained the situation to the guy and about 20 minutes after I gave him the keys they called me in and told me they are going to replace the tranny free of charge. They said it's ordered and will be here next week and will provide me with a loaner while they are doing the work. It sucks that I got to replace it but I figure it'll be better for the sale value if the person knows the transmission is brand new. He said the technician said he didn't experience the flares but that, "there's a long delay between shifts" and that it needs to be replaced. I realized this after he said it cause when I originally got the car it'd shift at a little over 2500rpms now it's closer to 3500 with the flare.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Advanced

My tranny was relaced for free along with both front knuckles. got an 06 MDX for a loaner. Whole process took about a week. Car drives beautiful. I am very happy with my dealer for taking care of that.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:57 PM
'08 TL-S

Thought I was out of the woods w/my '01CL-s at 112K miles and still on the original (well behaved) tranny... until my wife was driving the car in Philly (we live in MD) and calls me saying that the tranny is slipping and won't upshift and 'all the lights on the dash are on'... piazza acura in West Chester was luckily only a couple miles away and she managed to nurse the car there.

Thought I was screwed and was anticipating a big fruitless fight over the expired warranty, but was amazed when I called the dealer the next day and was cheerfully told that they had already arranged w/Acura to have the replacement done as a goodwill repair 'since I am the original owner'... (?!)

I'm still a little stunned by this, but hat's off to Piazza Acura and hopefully my good luck will extend to others who are (somewhere) past the warranty...
Old 09-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes Tischer Acura, Laurel Md. did mine as a goodwill job with 164,000 miles on it, but to make alittle money they put an alternator on it and a motor mount too. I was happy with that either way. They knew me as I bought the car there and had the 105K miles big service done there 2 years later. BTW that tranny is still in there at 229K miles no issues.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:57 PM
2003 CL-S

Hola,

I just purchased my 03 CL-S from Carmax in San Antonio and it had 58k. I just did the VIN lookup and it says my car isn't covered under the settlement. I called Gunn Acura here in town and they said that the car had been serviced there and they installed the kit or whatever it was that better lubricated the part of the tranny that lead to failure. So, if this things decides to take a dump on me, am I SOL in getting any kind of recall work?

Thanks for any info.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 AM
9th Gear

FYI

Took my '01 CLS(purchased new in 06/2000) into Dealership on Thursday(10/02), with increasing occasions of tranny shift slip and certain non-engagement issues. I did the prescribed homework before, by running the VIN # and bringing down the maintenance records.

Acura/Honda over-nighted the reman. tranny and under the settlement warranty, replaced the pressure regulator(FP - 16740-PGK-A01RB), ECU(FP - 37820-PGE-315RM), Warranty A/T KI(FP - 06200-PGF-090RM), 5 QTS ATF-Z1. The prescribed work was done and picked up the CLS on Saturday(10/05). Honda/Acura will only issue reman. trannies under the settlement warranty and this warranty covers the "new" tranny up to 109,000 miles.

In the end, the experience cost me just to fill up the tank of the free loaner TL, while the work was done. 0 out-of-pocket cost for the tranny work.

I will say for us, as much as my wife loves the CLS and has been her utmost favorite, we will be trading up to something else sometime next year. The loaner TL we had, didn't hold a candle to our '01 CLS and since we have drove the RL, that vehicle would be the top choice for replacement from Acura to replace the CLS. She does have her eye on other makes also, so we'll see which it will be.

I hope this tranny experience is useful to all...
Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Advanced

i have an 03 with 165K miles with the original tranny and HID ballast and everything
Old 03-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
Well my car is going in for a ATF change tomorrow as the dealer wants to do that first to see if it fixes anything since the fluid is brown and low when I checked and called them. However it may not even make it there now cause tonight I was driving and in drive and it just started reving and not going anywhere so I had to put it in d3 for it to move. So I might have lost final gear in it now but havent tried it again yet since getting home. Not sure if I am even going to trust getting it to the dealer now. Hopefully if I can't get it there and it fails they will replace it for free cause it only has 690320 miles but is over 7 years old.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Instructor

tranny died on me =( at 135k miles, almost died on the expressway, finding out tomorrow if the dealer will replace or not, they have to call corporate and they will decide weather to cover completely zero out of pocket, cover parts i only pay labor 900, or not be able to cover anything, this was the original transmission, hope they can at least cover parts, this sucks, im paying for a car payment + repair work blah!, im actually kinda scared, wish me luck.....
Old 04-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Advanced

Will ACURA replace tranny if I go buy a 2003 CL with 77,000 miles? I kinda would rather have the tranny replaced before I drive it..... tell me what you think! Here is the Acura , its on eBay....... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TODAY.m238.lVI

THANKS!!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

i bought a used 01 cl type s last year. it has about 128k miles on it right now. I haven't been driving it much, but i'm getting paranoid whenever i did drive it. I felt alittle jerk. the tranny was replaced at 75k miles by the previous owner. im pretty sure acura won't replace it, or tell me it's nothing. can i do anything to get this tranny replace before it goes?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Instructor

getting my car back tomorrow, the dealer replaced tranny and i had to pay labor, im at 132xxx.......
Old 04-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
99 TL with 112,000 miles (bought in 7/99)

Princeton Acura paid for the parts, I paid labor ~$900 which included replacing all motor and tranny mounts.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

my 01 cl type s got the engine light at about 51, 900 miles and i brought it in just 3 months over warranty. i did the customer participation and covered about $500 for a new tranny. it feels like it runs a lot better and oakland acura employees were very nice. also took care of my motor mounts and gave me a good deal.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Tranny went out at 46k and Acura of Glendale (California) went the extra mile for me since my car is not covered in the class-action. Mine is a 2003. All the employees were very helpful. Service guy was outstanding. He had his manager call Acura, they gave the ok for a goodwill replacement and he had a loaner ready for me within the hour.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:23 AM
10th Gear

hey fellas, i recently purchased a 03' cl-s w/ 95xxx miles. i recently contacted my local acura dealership to inquire about the warranty on my transmission, after providing my vin# to the rep he informed me that i would be entitled to the warranty. is what he is telling me true? if so, what makes it ineligible
Old 04-14-2008, 01:43 AM
666 Speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpn415sf
hey fellas, i recently purchased a 03' cl-s w/ 95xxx miles. i recently contacted my local acura dealership to inquire about the warranty on my transmission, after providing my vin# to the rep he informed me that i would be entitled to the warranty. is what he is telling me true? if so, what makes it ineligible

There were certain 03's that were not covered under the warranty...
Old 04-14-2008, 03:06 AM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme.../php/login.php
Old 04-14-2008, 01:51 PM
10th Gear

dang it, thanks fellas. just curious what is the cost to repair these suckers (auto tranny) anyways. luckily a client of mines works for a local acura dealership and he said if needed, he can work up some magic for me...
Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jpn415sf
dang it, thanks fellas. just curious what is the cost to repair these suckers (auto tranny) anyways. luckily a client of mines works for a local acura dealership and he said if needed, he can work up some magic for me...
$2500 for a remanufactured unit and eight hours of labor @ $120/hr if you had to pay for it yourself. About $3500, which isn't bad for a unit with all of the latest updates and a 3/36 warranty. A rebuild at an independent shop would run you about $2800.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Cruisin'

anyone in central florida that had the tranny replaced? Which dealer? I'm at 73k miles and the tranny broke. I'm not covered by the recall. I called Acura and they told me there was nothing they can do for me.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Just call me DADDY!!!

My second tranny is slipping at 2nd and 3rd with 158K and I think I need to replace it again. I had my first tranny replace at 105K a few years ago free under the warranty. Is there anything I can do? Or am I going to have to pay for a new tranny? Thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got remanufactured tranny for goodwill (10%) at 135K miles

shift points feel way different though on new tranny.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Lurker

Thumbs up Good experience in central NJ

I had a good experience at Bridgewater Acura in central NJ.

My 2001 CLS transmission gave out at around 158K miles. I took it to the dealer and dropped it off for them to look at; all I said was that I knew there were transmission issues with that model car and asked that they do whatever they could for me.

When I called later that afternoon to see what the status was, they had already ordered a new transmission for me and said they were going to take care of it. Two days later it was done, and it's been fine since then.

BTW I agree with the earlier posters that the shift points feel a little different. But I'm not complaining.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
mine came back today after 9 days

different ECU 37820- PGE -A62RM
Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 PM
10th Gear

tranny died at 120,777 miles

My '03 cl 3.2 just started to slip and downshift into 2nd gear, the code said to replace the transmission, took it into Lindsey Acura in Columbus OH, they confirmed that it needs a new tranny. They told me it was past the warranty but would attempt, with Honda, to get it covered under the warranty. I told them the only incentive I could offer was hiring them to do the 105k service, which hadn't been done yet and is kind of a lot of work. They said they would see what they could do. Just waiting to hear back now. I'll post back after they call me. Anybody have any suggestions about anything else I could possibly do in order to plead my case with them? I bought the car used 14 months ago with 65,000 miles and the original transmission. I drive tons of freeway miles and was really loving this car till now...

They quoted me $4000 to do the transmission replacement if not covered, can't I get this done a lot cheaper if I use someone else? Anybody have any experience getting this repair/replacement done at non Acura dealerships?

Thanks

- bpcl

Quick Reply: 100K + goodwill Dealer replacement or not.