100K + goodwill Dealer replacement or not.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
100K + goodwill Dealer replacement or not.

What is happening with trannys going out after 100K?
Please post your dealership experience, lets see what is happening with everyone.
Updating thread now that more of our cars are passing 100.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be great to comile some options like Aftermarket warranties for 100K+, replacement transmissions with warranties & installers, Custom trannies or 6spd conversions, etc... Mine is at 120K with the second tranny and a cooler installed. The first tranny replaced at 72K but I don't think there was anything wrong with it when it was replaced.

Zack
Old 10-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm at 70k miles now and I would love to know my options as far as warranties go after 100k. I love my car, but if I cant get some type of extended warranty after 100k, I have to get rid of it. I cant wait around for this tranny to go on me, costing lots to replace.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:06 PM
'01 CL-S Auto

Goodwill Tranny Replacement

My '01 CL-S was just over the warranty at 102K miles and Scanlon Acura in Ft Myers, FL authorized a goodwill transmission replacement based on the 2nd gear slippage and often violent, jerky accelerations. Took a couple days and over the weekend and was given an '06 TSX loaner free of charge.

I have only put about 200 miles on since the replacement. I noticed at once much smoother shifts and the ability to cruise at certain RPMs without any jerking. The vehicle still has some hard upshifts and downshifts, but I have been told that is an Acura thing.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
One of my co-workers had the tranny in his TL replaced at about 108K. It helped that he payed cash for the car when he bought it and took it back to that one dealership for all maintainance work.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
One of my co-workers had the tranny in his TL replaced at about 108K. It helped that he payed cash for the car when he bought it and took it back to that one dealership for all maintainance work.

They will not go much past 110K and what he said is the best insurance policy...complete maint records on the car.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Cruisin'

tranny

i just got my 03 cl type-s replaced at 56000 miles. so pissed off! they gave me 12 months 12000 miles warranty, but by reading some of the posts it sounds like alot of people have had there second trannys replaced?? wtf. the dealership said that a new tranny would run me $5200,instead they gave me the goodwill warranty.they acutally payed for the tranny. i wonder if they used a old tranny or rebuilt the tranny??? i'm really thinking about getting rid of this headache.. what do you guys think??? is it worth keeping? i like the g35!!! infiniti.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Racer

A court date is set for Dec 8th in Oakland.
"Preliminary Approving Settlement Agreement"
I'm in the process of finding out what exactly is supposed to come down at that date. A pdf of the court doc is in the tranny section. That's about all it says.

If you are on the fence, i think you should wait until that date and see what happens. There is talk, do not quote me its merely unsubstanciated talk of a new tranny. Not the replacement b.s., but Honda finally being forced to give us a new tranny. Lets hope. It could go the other way and be more bull.

Meanwhile i hope we get more posts on what the dealerships did/did not do with a 100K+ blowout.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Racer

csp72 posted on trans replacement thread:
When the transmission failed at 118k, Landers and Acura said they would pay for everything except providing a loaner car, which we did not need at that time. The next transmissions were based on the 12 month 12k mile remanufactured part warranty and was completely covered by Acura, including towing and new loaner car.

Joni and Roy have been great through the entire event.

I bought a 2005 TL Navi last June 05 from Landers. Acura customer care gave me a 100k $0 deductible warranty just to keep me with Acura. I kept the 2001 CL type S and have 156K (18k on reman transmission) on the car now. I like the car and just don't accept that the transmission may fail again.

I am sure Joni and Roy will do all that is possible to get Acura to pay all the costs to replace the transmission if needed. They are the reason I have continued to buy Acuras.

Fred
Sorry it took so long to answer your post.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Racer

Threre is hope: 128K free

F. UPtagrafft
Russellville, AR
Service by Lander Acura
Fayetteville, AR
1st transmission at 80,000 miles (no cost to me) (Aug 2003)
2nd transmission at 118,000 miles (no cost to me) (Sept 2004)
3rd transmission at 128,000 miles (no cost to me) (Jan 2005)
4th transmission soon (will be no cost to me) service manager said current unit had bad differential bearings when it was installed.

This is details of csp72s post.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Springfield Acura - Possible Problem

My first transmission went at just over 50k. The second one went at 105k. Springfield's line? "The warranty covered you up to 100k. You're at 105k. I don't know if we can cover it. I'll have to check with my regional rep. We haven't seen you here in a while. Who's doing your service?" When I told them that no one was doing it by myself, they suggested that I get the timing belt changed and have a major service done, and maybe this would convince the regional rep to "throw in" the trans at 105 as a "show of good will." I spent over $1k in maintenance and got the trans "free."

Now I'm at 140k. The car runs fine, but the VSA lit up (it's off now after restarting the car), as well as the check engine (still on). Took it this morning. An error code indicated I need another trans (will be the 4th). "You'll probably be responsible for this one, since we replaced it free last time as a sign of good will." After I calmly and diplomatically reamed the service advisor a new one, he said he'd have to check with the service manager. Of course, the service manager is checking with the regional rep. I'm awaiting their call.

I got a call from someone in Acura corporate back in Nov '05 after the 3rd trans replacement. She wanted to know if everything was okay with the new one. I have her number, and she can expect a call if my demand for a free fix is denied. That will only be my first step if corporate does nothing to satisfy me.

I'd be happy to hear of others' experiences if they took the next step I'm considering - a trip to the county courthouse to file suit.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:08 AM
on to the next one...

My car experienced "Complete Transmission Failure" while cruising at 80 mph (2300 RPM) this last weekend (10/29/06).
My 2001 CL-S is at 111,000 miles.
I was in North Dakota, 400 miles away from home at the time, so I rented a U-haul and brought it to my local dealer - Burkle Acura in Brooklyn Center, MN.
They will be replacing my transmission at NO CHARGE to me, as well as a brand new TL as a loaner for 10 days at NO CHARGE to me.

I was a little concerned that my CAI would cause them to place blame on me (though any competent mechanic knows otherwise). Luckily, they made no mention of it...

So, there is some hope out there for all...
Old 11-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Zimbrick acura
Replaced my tranny good willed at 115k free of charge. Gave me a loaner as well
Old 12-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
I wonder how much Aamco transmissions charges to have our tranny replaced?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by bgsm1th
My car experienced "Complete Transmission Failure" while cruising at 80 mph (2300 RPM) this last weekend (10/29/06).
My 2001 CL-S is at 111,000 miles.
I was in North Dakota, 400 miles away from home at the time, so I rented a U-haul and brought it to my local dealer - Burkle Acura in Brooklyn Center, MN.
They will be replacing my transmission at NO CHARGE to me, as well as a brand new TL as a loaner for 10 days at NO CHARGE to me.

I was a little concerned that my CAI would cause them to place blame on me (though any competent mechanic knows otherwise). Luckily, they made no mention of it...

So, there is some hope out there for all...
Those guys treated me like i was a kid........I will never use that dealership again....

service adviser asked me "How old are you?" (I'm 37 btw) and "what are you doing with a CL type S?" I was like WTFudgesickle?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Cruisin'

First failed at 45K mi under warranty after I got the letter extending powertrain to 100K. Second one failed at 108K mi. Dealer replaced for goodwill w/ $200 deductible for 12 mo/12K mi, figured $200 was cheap compared to $4500 to replace the tranny if it went out again, which seems likely, but now it;s not my problem. Traded the thing in on a Lexus GX470 for my wife and I drive her old 4Runner now. I got the letter about the "settlement," if I had kept the car I would be pissed too.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:19 AM
5th Gear

New Member - Dead Tranny

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but unfortunately have joined the bad tranny club. Mine went out last week on Tuesday. I knew it was going to go out a few weeks ago. My Acura CL is a 1998 3.0. I tried checking my VIN on the settlement case, and it say's I'm not eligible. I worked with two other people who had bad transmission in their 96, and 97. As I limped it home from work on Tuesday, my engine light went on a block before I hit my driveway. This added insult to injury. A strong rubber/chemical odor was present enough for me to smell in the car, and others to smell outside the driveway. The belts are fine. The car is now dead in the driveway. Does anyone know where a person like me with a 98 needs to go? Are there any court rulings, or current cases open for us first generation CL folks? Does anyone know if people will buy the remains of my car so I can at least get something for this heap? It's a shame I still owe on a loan for this car. I've been told by my mechanic that it will be 4K to get a new (rebuilt) one, but after I did some research on the web, and talking to Acura mechanics, I am so shocked to know a lot of folks replaced there transmisisons more than once! The reason I got rid of my old car and purchased an Acura was due to the reliability that I thought came with the Honda/Acura brand. I know never to buy another Acura again. I already called client services (before it died) at Acura and was treated rude and dismissed immediately. I called both my local dealers and they said "sorry, but 120K miles is too much". I am writing a letter to Acura's client services, but not sure if that will do any bit of good. I'm not holding my breath after reading what many of you have said. In closing -- NighthawkBlue -- your information has been very valuable.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Instructor

My buddy Dave (ysr72champ ) recently had his 1st tranny replaced at 136k miles. The initial estimate was for ~$4300 and after Acura of Columbus spoke with corporate, they took care of the replacement of a remanufactured tranny as well as providing him a new TSX rental for 10 days for no charge. Still taking care of people post 100k is definitely great customer service.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey

acura should warranty the transmission up to 100k. my buddy has gone through 4 trannys
Old 01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
4th Gear

My 01 - CL - Type S & I just the tranny clud today at 140k (my 1st time, her 2nd). I took my car in due to "oil" puddles in the driveway since the last oil change (3wks ago), thinking it was an oopsie on the filter washer. Service manager came to the lounge and informed me that it ain't oil leaking, that's scorched tranny fluid. I thought for sure I was screwed, but the service manager called the regional rep and worked out a deal for me. My car has 140k but the settlement cut-off is at 109k. The dealer is going to cover the parts as a good faith effort, but I still would have to cover the labor ($700). Now the Tranny was replaced at 86k under the recall, plus it has always been into the acura dealer for service, so that had something to do with it. But they still didn't have to do anything for me. To me $700 vs $4,000 is a no brainer so I took the deal. Then to top it off they then threw in a '06 TL as a loaner untill I get my car back early next week. Now that's what I call GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! My last 6 rides have been Acura's and I'll give you three guesses as to what my next ride will be (and the first 2 don't count).
Old 01-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
brought my 01 cl-s in last week for the recall fix as the last owner did not do it since it was salvage (74900). tech came out and just looked at the fuild, said that i needed a new tranny. service advisor found out it was salvage and said that he would have to ask acura if its ok just to even touch the car since it was salvage. he said he would call on tues. i call ahead of him to client services on mon. i called back on tues., he did not even call acura yet. i said that acura said ok and he said go ahead and bring it in but he would still have to ok with acura. so i got it done today but all they did was put in a oil jet kit. i informed them that i was having problems like hard shift into third and slow shift into forth?(the clutch engages, the car revs up about 1k rpm then shifts into 4th, slipping?). i was pissed! i also asked him about the sudden shift from 5-2. he said no recall has been issued, just an extention to the warranty. which was useless to me. he said that it was because of the clutch packs and would mean total tranny failure. so what? i gotta wait till i slam from 80 to second gear? an advisor said that it was driviablity issue and would not be covered. so ill just complain to client services and fight for a new tranny. if all else fails, go to new dealership, repeat process.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:43 PM
4th Gear

Thumbs up Follow Up

So I was at work today and got a call from the service manager at my Acura dealer. I was thinking "oh boy here we go, they decieced not to cover it". But no, he was calling to say my car was done. Now I only dropped it of yesterday at 8am and this was at 4pm today. He said the tranny came in this morning and they had a slow day so they were able to crank it out. When I asked if there was any kind of warranty, he appoligised that he didn't talk to me about this yesterday. He then proceeded to tell me that since I paid for the labor that Acura was throwing in a 3yr / 36k mile warranty on the new tranny (but if I hadn't paid for labor there would have been zero warranty). That means I'll have coverage on the tranny up untill my car has 177k. Total cost to me $812 - for a new tranny, replace a engine mount, oil change and retal car for two days. Picked the car up tonight and she is running much better. Though didn't really push her at all. Need to take it easy for the first couple hundred to break her in. Will keep you posted. All I can say is this dealer rocks! Acura has given me a better level of customer service on this one than I could have asked for . So good I think I might even write my dealer a thank you/praise letter (I'm an IT guy, I normally don't write letters ).
Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 AM
8th Gear

First Tranny died at 68,000 miles (7/16/2005) 100,000 mile free warranty replacement, 2nd (improved unit) died at 117,000 (3/12/2007)

Acura volunteered to pick up 75% of the cost of the third unit. ($900 Out of Pocket) That's like 1 and a half payments on a new car, and will include 3year/36,000 mile waranty $1 a day. Too good to pass up.

Plano, Texas
Old 03-16-2007, 12:08 AM
2nd Gear

tranny fix

In Oct. at 101K, the 2nd tranny went out of my 2002 CL TypeS. Peoria(AZ) Acura put in a new tranny for free but charged me a fee of $900 for labor. I submitted my paperwork to Honda for reinbursement as a result of the class action suite. I was denied. Reason-- I only had 90 days to file the request after repairs were made. I waited 2 extra weeks more than I should have. I had a very short window of time to make the claim during the month of Jan. because the tranny went out in Oct. and they didn't start accepting claims until 12/28/06. I'm sure there were others who got caught in my circumstance.

Live and learn in AZ.

Originally Posted by NighthawkBlue
What is happening with trannys going out after 100K?
Please post your dealership experience, lets see what is happening with everyone.
Updating thread now that more of our cars are passing 100.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:59 AM
2nd Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by welchwarlock
First Tranny died at 68,000 miles (7/16/2005) 100,000 mile free warranty replacement, 2nd (improved unit) died at 117,000 (3/12/2007)

Acura volunteered to pick up 75% of the cost of the third unit. ($900 Out of Pocket) That's like 1 and a half payments on a new car, and will include 3year/36,000 mile waranty $1 a day. Too good to pass up.

Plano, Texas
Hi!
I live in Plano, and my CL '03 , 102K, has tranny issues, Which dealer did you go to? I am surprized that I never checked up this forum before buying the WarrantyDirect warranty...
I would really appreciate if you could reply me back @ kharbanda2001@yahoo.com and update me on this.....

Thank you
KK
Old 05-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Simple, yet complicated.

Hello All,

I have been visiting the site for some time now and this is my first post. I have been looking to get a CL 3.2 S since the day they hit the showroom floor. I purchased a 2002 CL last week from a second hand dealer for about 10k. I have the carfax reports and i spent several hours on the phone prior to the purchase with the local Acura dealership. I have gained more usefull information from the posts here than i have talking to the dealers and the service guys. So i figured the best thing to do was share with someone else.

The car i purchased has over 100k miles and has never been serviced for the transmission. According to the local dealership, since the VIN on the car is a valid recall VIN number they advised me that i could bring the car in and if the second gear is "burnt" they will replace the transmission at no cost. I was told that wording in the safty recall put out by Acura has no limition of miles as long as the car has never been serviced under the recall.

I hope this information could be useful or help someone who is on the fence of purchasing an excellent auto.

i am picking the car up from the second hand dealer this week as i am awaiting parts for the memory seats. I will then drop the car off at Acura for a full inspection and trans exam.

I will post results.

-Shawn.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:56 AM
2nd Gear

Hi All!
I had the same issues with my car. My tranny died down. Though I had already purchased the out-of-market warranty from WarrantyDirect. My car's VIN number WAS NOT in the tranny recall list. But...the most amazing thing that happened was.....David Mc David Acura in Plano, TX got this exchanged for me, and in just $1XX they are offering a 30K warranty too ;-). And yeah...I have 102k+ miles.
So, I believe its just a matter of going to the dealer and discussing about this. At that point of time...its just your skills which would save you a couple of thousand dollars....

All the best!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Simple, yet complicated.

Wow thats great news i hope that the Acura dealer will offer me some type of extended warranty on the car. BTW the Acura dealership that i have been dealing with is Pohanka Acura in Chantilly Va. From what i hear they are suposed to be very customer service oriented. Has anyone had any dealings?
Old 05-07-2007, 01:25 PM
'01 CLS w/NAVI

I have 97k on my CL-S
Took it in last week for a trans fluid leak and the dealership said they were going to just replace tranny. Will let you know how it goes...
Old 05-07-2007, 01:31 PM
'01 CLS w/NAVI

btw, my dealership is Nalley Acura in Marietta, GA
Old 05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Simple, yet complicated.

Bigkahuna,

Please let me know how your overall experiance goes, i travel to Atlanta often and i had to have my oil serviced in my last Acura and i was not happy with the service that i received. Although it has not stopped me from wanting to relocate to Atlanta in the (not) so near furture.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear

1st. tranny died at 109,000 last owner had oil jet recall done late about 90,000 acura of Auburn in Auburn Ma. replaced my transmission as a goodwill repair.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

Tranny #1 died at ~75K miles. Tranny #2 was just confirmed dead. It only lasted ~32K miles. Tranny #3 is currently being installed and will be finished tomorrow. Acura goodwilled the repair.

I am currently at just over 108K miles on my CL-S.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear

Had my first tranny on my 01 TL go out at about 45K miles. 2nd one just went at 152K. (yeah i drive alot) Anyway, figured I was hosed. My dealer Fresno Acura said they would cover the cost of the transmission. All I had to cover was the labor which is about $700. All things considered I was pretty happy to get away with only that cost.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Racer

^ Had Fresno Acura done much work for you the life of the car?
Old 05-23-2007, 02:04 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Lover
Hi!
I live in Plano, and my CL '03 , 102K, has tranny issues, Which dealer did you go to? I am surprized that I never checked up this forum before buying the WarrantyDirect warranty...
I would really appreciate if you could reply me back @ kharbanda2001@yahoo.com and update me on this.....

Thank you
KK

Acura Club Texas is very good friends with David McDavid in Plano as well as Vandergriff in Arlington. Mention the club and im sure they'll help you out. PM me for more details.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:25 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by NighthawkBlue
^ Had Fresno Acura done much work for you the life of the car?

Hey Hawk,

I did not buy the car from but they have done most of my work including the replacement of the first transmission.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:41 AM
10th Gear

tranny replacement..

I just got mine done at 95000. Gunn Acura SanAnton TX, got a TL loner.. But what I am wondering is... is it worth this much trouble to keep this car? I love the car but its kinda rediclous how there are people out there with 4 tranny replaced.. The dealer told me the new transmission has a lil lube thing going on in the second gear which should prevent from something like this to happen.. If i trade my car in right now, it seems like im not even going to get 10k for it.. Any Advice?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Simple, yet complicated.

Car drop off for tranny replacement today.

Ok,

So i drop my 01CLS off at the dealership this morning. (Please see previous post) was i shocked when the dealer called and said that it would be 3k for the tranny replacement. The guy that i talked with BEFORE i purchased the car was not in today. I explained that before i purchased the car ( from another dealer) i called and checked the status of the recall and my car and i was told that i should be eligible for a new tranny under the safty recall since the tranny had never been replaced.

So i go back and forth........

After talking with Acura Corporate offices then did the dealer call me back and changed his tune. It was MR this and MR that.

So as it stands the dealer will repull the transmission and if the 2nd gear is burnt like it should then they will do the tranny replacement for free!

Plus i get a 07 TSX loaner.

Hope this helps!

BTW acura advised me that the transmission cost the dealer nothing, so if you have a dealer not willing to work call Acura and call other dealers. They know the tranny was crap from the start and they seem to be willing to work with you.

I will advise tomorrow when the dealer calls me back to confirm or deny the replacement.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:02 PM
5th Gear

Has anyone had any luck with any Acura dealerships in the Sacramento area willing to do a "goodwill" repair on a 01-CL w/ a tranny problem? I started experiencing tranny issues on my car a couple weeks ago. The most terrifying one was driving home w/ my son on the freeway and having the car jerk on me while dropping from 5th to 2nd gear.

I called a dealership and was told that 109K is the warranty limit and that it would cost me close to 4G's to have it repaired. ABSURD!!!

I've read some postings that made me feel optimistic that the dealership will fix my busted tranny but would like to hear some advice/options from others.

btw - my car currently has 118K on it.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: 100K + goodwill Dealer replacement or not.