255/40/18??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
255/40/18??

Ever since I did my J35a3 swap all my car does is spin...currently running Hankook Ventus RS-3 tires 235/45/18 on 18x9 +35 Enkei Rpf1 rims. I'm thinking 255/40/18 tires on a lowered car (I do have Coilovers so I can mess with the height) is probably the biggest I can go. Any recommendations on tires that won't break the bank? I mean, should I go with a 255/35/18 instead? I'm thinking a 40 will flex a little more and give it a better bite? Either way, I'm not sure since I would go with a 255 if I would need the best of the best tires. Not sure if going from a 235 to a 255 will make a big enough difference not to spin anymore. It almost feels like I can put 305's in the front and still spin them in 1st gear....I'm not sure if any street tire out there will hold any grip in 1st gear, but with the setup I have now 2nd spins almost just as hard as 1st.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Check out Karanx7's thread below. He seems to have found a remedy to his 2nd gear traction problem.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-t...enders-965662/
The following users liked this post:
teh CL (01-06-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks Zeta, I think I might go with 255/40/18 tires, but nice to know that 255/35/18 tires fit with no problem. Here's a question that's been bugging me today. How do I know that I have an LSD tranny? Looking online on how to check if it's LSD they say that when the car is jacked up and both wheels are off the ground they both should spin in the same direction when you spin them in neutral. I could of swore when i tried that they both spun in opposite directions. All the videos I saw online say that when they spin in opposite directions it is not an LSD tranny. Is this true? Are the CL's different? I know when I'm turning into a curvy road and break the tires loose from punching the throttle it starts to drift in the other lane, thus both wheels should be spinning.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:02 AM
Suzuka Master

I took the attached page from the Helm's for an LSD Check.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LSDif.pdf (552.2 KB, 87 views)
teh CL (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 06:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2ndgentl
Thanks Zeta, I think I might go with 255/40/18 tires, but nice to know that 255/35/18 tires fit with no problem.
2ndgentl, you probably noticed it, like I did; but Karanx7 is running an Enkei TY-5 18x8.5 +50mm offset wheel to fit those 255/35/18 Conti - tires.
Not sure how much, if any, of a fitment issue it will present for you with an 18x9 +35 Enkei Rpf1 rim to run a 255/40/18 though.

You may want to 'bump' his thread and ask him if your +35 offset is going to be enough to keep the 255 clear of the knuckles and/or fenders to prevent rubbing on your CL-S.

I'm not a wheel guy, so I can't be much help there.
teh CL (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 07:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Wow, that's good info there Zeta on the LSD! That makes me feel better now. Just needed to get the thought out of my head of possibly having a 6-speed accord tranny on there. Lol
You are right about the +50 on Karanx7's car. I would think that his rims are sticking out pretty far. Mine with a +35 are literally sticking out of the fender about 1/4". I need to take a good look at all the clearances inside and out before making a purchase on tires.
Here's something completely off topic that I thought I'd share on here. Yesterday me and a friend of mine were going to lunch. When we pulled into the parking lot I noticed a white 2003 acura cl type s. Knowing that the chances of it being a 6-speed were slim to none, so I thought I would walk by it and check anyhow. Not only was it a 6-speed but it had black interior and navigation (1 of 15)! Same exact car as mine (when it was stock)! I couldn't believe it, so I had to wait like a creep and talk to the owner. We ended up chatting for a while and ended up exchanging numbers. I told him that I have a lot of spare parts for that car if he ever wanted to start modding it. I just know running into that same kind of car will never happen again. It was lowered a little and had exhaust, but looked pretty much stock.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2ndgentl:
anthrag1 (08-09-2020), teh CL (01-10-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Wow, that's good info there Zeta on the LSD! That makes me feel better now. Just needed to get the thought out of my head of possibly having a 6-speed accord tranny on there. Lol
You are right about the +50 on Karanx7's car. I would think that his rims are sticking out pretty far. Mine with a +35 are literally sticking out of the fender about 1/4". I need to take a good look at all the clearances inside and out before making a purchase on tires.

Just thought I would mention that about the offsets, I wasn't sure how quick you were going to pull the trigger on getting a new set of 255/40/18's, so I didn't want to see you have a fitment issue. The important thing, though, is for you to have plenty of tread on those front tires of yours, hehe, since alI they do is spin with that beastly J35A3 in there.

So give us your impressions thus far? Is that J35A3 one of the top mod upgrades you've done so far? We need details, lol!
It sounds like you are having a good time with all that extra torque down below, like teh CL said early on in your other thread.

Here's something completely off topic that I thought I'd share on here. Yesterday me and a friend of mine were going to lunch. When we pulled into the parking lot I noticed a white 2003 acura cl type s. Knowing that the chances of it being a 6-speed were slim to none, so I thought I would walk by it and check anyhow. Not only was it a 6-speed but it had black interior and navigation (1 of 15)! Same exact car as mine (when it was stock)! I couldn't believe it, so I had to wait like a creep and talk to the owner. We ended up chatting for a while and ended up exchanging numbers. I told him that I have a lot of spare parts for that car if he ever wanted to start modding it. I just know running into that same kind of car will never happen again. It was lowered a little and had exhaust, but looked pretty much stock.
Nice! It just goes to show how 'small the world is' for us car enthusiasts.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

I can EASILY say that a J35a3 wth Type S cams is a must. And for how easily accessible and cheap those engines are I'm surprised I don't see more people swapping them. My J32a2 felt like a beast to me, and it was, but the difference I feel between them is that the J35 has a lot more torque and when punched in 3rd it doesn't let up at all, therefore more HP as well. The power band feels the same throughout the entire gear (3rd). I could say the same for 1st and 2nd but all it does is spin. And if I punch it in 2nd at a low mph (15 mph) it sometimes grips until it hits vtec. That's another BIG difference, it hits vtec MUCH harder than ever before! And is much louder as well! 4th gear pulls hard as well, but I only held it through 4th that time I raced my friends Accord. That car will definitely surprise a lot of high performance cars out there in the streets, but without traction I don't stand a chance against mini vans from a dig. I took 2 of my friends out for a ride and they both said the same exact thing, "Your car feels scary." Lol Now remember, I have also shed quite some weight off this car. At least 300 lbs. So, I know that's another reason why my car moves out faster than most CL's. The last time I ran my car at the track was years ago with full interior and I only had half the mods I have now and ran a 13.6 @ 103 with a 2.2 60ft. So, I know now for sure it would break in the high 12's ONLY if I could find a way to get traction. That 06 Accord with heavy mods and 100 shot nitrous that I beat 3 times on the street ran a 13.2 @ 108 and i was spinning through 2nd every time. But I guess it all doesn't matter until I see dyno numbers and actually run it at the track.

Last edited by 2ndgentl; 01-06-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

^
Nice informative write-up, 2ndgentl, thanks!
By any chance, have you come across that 07-08 6-speed TL-S and/or the big turbo'd Hyundai Genesis Coupe you were running that unfortunate night the J32 gave up the ghost? Just wondering if they wanted a grudge match or something since you've performed the J35 transplant, hehe.

I guess the next thing on the agenda, when time/money permits, is to get those front wheels to stay planted with some beefier tires. Keep us informed with your impressions/progress. Keep in mind also, if you do narrow down a specific tire size and Discount tire online has them, you won't pay any FL Sales tax with the purchase; so, that will help pay for mounting and balancing. They tout 'free shipping' as well; however, that is usually hidden somewhere in the cost of the tire, but every little bit helps. When I purchased my BFG KDW II's four or five years ago I found them priced lower online somewhere and was able to get a price match from Discount tire which also helped. Good luck on whatever you decide!
Old 01-06-2018, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Funny that you mentioned those two cars because I always wanted to flag them down just to b.s. with them. I haven't seen the Hyundai ever since that night but I do see that TL-S here and there, just always on the other side of traffic. I'll end up running into him sooner than later I hope. I need a good laugh on how my car looked like with all that smoke after I blew the engine. I still get a little nervous taching out my engine because that night I blew it will always be in the back of my mind. Probably the closest I ever came to crying as a grown man. Lol Here's a pic of my engine after I fitted a 3.5 emblem on the front plastic. Ehh, looks ok, just wanted a 3.5 on there instead of the 3.2. I have the original hood with the bump on there to fit the IM with that 1.8" spacer, but my next project will be to cut a hole out of the real Carbon Fiber hood where the IM is so that it will fit. I think if I did that the IM would be flush with the CF hood. I figure I should do something with that hood since it's just collecting dust in my shed and I always like shedding more weight off my car. The CF hood weighs just over 20 lbs lighter than the stock hood.
teh CL (01-10-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

'Funny that you mentioned those two cars because I always wanted to flag them down just to b.s. with them. I haven't seen the Hyundai ever since that night but I do see that TL-S here and there, just always on the other side of traffic. I'll end up running into him sooner than later I hope. I need a good laugh on how my car looked like with all that smoke after I blew the engine. I still get a little nervous taching out my engine because that night I blew it will always be in the back of my mind.'

Lol, make sure to give that younger 3G cousin a good a*s kicking, again, for your 2G brethren.
He's to hoping that you get to 'school' that Hyundai Genesis again, as well.

'Probably the closest I ever came to crying as a grown man.'

Understandable. But, hey that's in the past and now you've got something even better for your efforts.

'Lol Here's a pic of my engine after I fitted a 3.5 emblem on the front plastic. Ehh, looks ok, just wanted a 3.5 on there instead of the 3.2. I have the original hood with the bump on there to fit the IM with that 1.8" spacer, but my next project will be to cut a hole out of the real Carbon Fiber hood where the IM is so that it will fit. I think if I did that the IM would be flush with the CF hood. I figure I should do something with that hood since it's just collecting dust in my shed and I always like shedding more weight off my car. The CF hood weighs just over 20 lbs lighter than the stock hood.'

That 3.5 emblem fits well with the car. I didn't know you had a CF hood squirrelled away somewhere? Looking forward to seeing how the mod process works out, that will be interesting to see. Maybe you can find someone in your 'boat repair' circle that can add a 'bump' should it be needed?
Old 01-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zeta

That 3.5 emblem fits well with the car. I didn't know you had a CF hood squirrelled away somewhere? Looking forward to seeing how the mod process works out, that will be interesting to see. Maybe you can find someone in your 'boat repair' circle that can add a 'bump' should it be needed?
Tanks Zeta! I still have some cleaning up to do in that engine bay. But yeah, I've had a CF hood and trunk for almost 2 yrs now. I left the CF trunk on but the hood won't fit unless I cut a hole for the IM or have someone make that bump again. The guy who made the bump on my stock hood had the mold for it but he's been in jail for a year now and who knows where that mold is now...But since I have a bump hood already I figured the CF hood would look good with the IM barely sticking out. That 09-TL IM looks really nice, might as well show it off a bit. I bought that CF hood and trunk off a guy locally for $450. I jumped on that deal quick! Both are in good shape but hood is a shade darker because he added a thicker clear coat on it, so it looks black unless you walk right up to it, then you can barely see the CF weaving.
zeta (01-06-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Here's a question which might be a dumb one, but is it possible to put Traction Control on the CL-6SPEED? I mean, the automatic CL's came with traction control, is there any way to take it off of an automatic and install it on the 6-speed? Or is that Impossible because they ecu's are different
Old 01-07-2018, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

^
2ndgentl, there is a huge complicated multi page section in the Helm's that addresses the ABS/TCS/VSA and how they work together to assist in vehicle control, lol. I think, pretty much, that it is conducive only in conjunction with an auto tranny set-up.

Besides, you already have the best traction control system known to man in the form of the neural pathway between your brain and right foot on the accelerator, coupled with the sounds you hear with your ears; thus, enabling you to feather the throttle as needed. Now it's just a matter of dialing it all in with beefier set of front wheels to minimize wheel spin from a dig.

A little extra weight up front in the form of belt driven 'air pump' might also aid your cause. Oh, wait, maybe not.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:41 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
You are right about the +50 on Karanx7's car. I would think that his rims are sticking out pretty far. Mine with a +35 are literally sticking out of the fender about 1/4".
Just to be clear, your lower offset will have the rim stick out of the fender more. A higher offset number will have the wheel tucked in toward the knuckle more. The stock offset is +55. I have like 1mm clearance between the tire and the knuckle with +50, so you can't use a higher offset than that without a spacer. This is the ideal offset for 255, as it just barely clears the knuckle allowing it to not stick out of the fender. Your +35 offset with 255 would need serious fender modification to clear properly.
Here's a question which might be a dumb one, but is it possible to put Traction Control on the CL-6SPEED? I mean, the automatic CL's came with traction control, is there any way to take it off of an automatic and install it on the 6-speed? Or is that Impossible because they ecu's are different
No. The ABS computer will work, but the TCS/VSA is integrated into the automatic ECU.
zeta (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Just to be clear, your lower offset will have the rim stick out of the fender more. A higher offset number will have the wheel tucked in toward the knuckle more. The stock offset is +55. I have like 1mm clearance between the tire and the knuckle with +50, so you can't use a higher offset than that without a spacer. This is the ideal offset for 255, as it just barely clears the knuckle allowing it to not stick out of the fender. Your +35 offset with 255 would need serious fender modification to clear properly.
Nice. That is very helpful info. Now I'm wondering if I could 'sneak in' a 245/45/17 all around (<Conti makes the ExtremeContactSport in that size)with my stock CL-S wheels. I'm lowered on the OG comptech springs from 'back in the day'. Looking at my current 'stance', it appears that I would have enough room at the fender, to not rub; now the question is do I have the millimeters to spare at the knuckle? Gonna have to get under the car and see.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:53 AM
Burning Brakes

^
2ndgentl, there is a huge complicated multi page section in the Helm's that addresses the ABS/TCS/VSA and how they work together to assist in vehicle control, lol. I think, pretty much, that it is conducive only in conjunction with an auto tranny set-up.

Besides, you already have the best traction control system known to man in the form of the neural pathway between your brain and right foot on the accelerator, coupled with the sounds you hear with your ears; thus, enabling you to feather the throttle as needed. Now it's just a matter of dialing it all in with beefier set of front wheels to minimize wheel spin from a dig.

A little extra weight up front in the form of belt driven 'air pump' might also aid your cause. Oh, wait, maybe not.

Hahaha! I know more weight will minimize wheel spin, but my problem that has been embedded in my head is that the lighter the car is the faster it will be. If you can find a solution to keep the tires from spinning.... my friends keep telling me to just hurry up and put the supercharger back on but I know it will slow my car down due to less traction. Also, Hondata makes a Traction Control module with ABS sensors. I don't know if it's possible to install it on the CL, but if you could it would work drastically. My friend keeps telling me that a good tuner can have that installed on just about any car. Not sure if that's true or not but it's worth looking into.

Last edited by 2ndgentl; 01-09-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Karanx7

You are absolutely right Karanx7. I have an inset of 35, which puts my lip at least 1/4" past my Fender which means if I got 255/40/18's the tires would be sticking out of the fender. I might be better off getting 255/35/18 just so that I can have a little more room from the fenders to the tires. Every tire has different specs from weight, height, tire width, and tread width. I'm going to try and find 255/35/18 tires that aren't as tall but have a wide tread width just so I can get more contact on the ground.

Last edited by 2ndgentl; 01-09-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Hahaha! I know more weight will minimize wheel spin, but my problem that has been embedded in my head is that the lighter the car is the faster it will be. If you can find a solution to keep the tires from spinning.... my friends keep telling me to just hurry up and put the supercharger back on but I know it will slow my car down due to less traction. Also, Hondata makes a Traction Control module with ABS sensors. I don't know if it's possible to install it on the CL, but if you could it would work drastically. My friend keeps telling me that a good tuner can have that installed on just about any car. Not sure if that's true or not but it's worth looking into.
I'm not familiar with the Hondata traction control module you mention; however, I do remember that the stand alone AEM system from Dezod for the CLS6 has a 2 Step Launch Control (perfect launches everytime!) and Programmable Traction Control as well. They are listed in the unit 'Features' section. Check it out:

AEM EMS Acura CL Type S 01-03
teh CL (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:35 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm not familiar with the Hondata traction control module you mention; however, I do remember that the stand alone AEM system from Dezod for the CLS6 has a 2 Step Launch Control (perfect launches everytime!) and Programmable Traction Control as well. They are listed in the unit 'Features' section. Check it out:

AEM EMS Acura CL Type S 01-03
Wow! Thanks Zeta! Looks like all I need is what I was planning on getting after all! I was planning on getting the stand alone AEM when I put the supercharger back on. I'm going to look into that link you sent me and look at all the features. That's really good to know, thanks!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

^
Now that I look at it again, I believe the '2 Step Launch Control' might be the most benefit for a manual transmission car; however, the 'Programmable Traction Control' may only apply to a car with a default TCS system, like the auto CL? Not sure. It would definitely would need to be clarified by the professionals you know the inner workings more thoroughly, for sure.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Hondata makes a Traction Control module with ABS sensors. I don't know if it's possible to install it on the CL, but if you could it would work drastically. My friend keeps telling me that a good tuner can have that installed on just about any car. Not sure if that's true or not but it's worth looking into.
2ndgentl, I was looking at the Hondata website for the traction control system you mentioned and it appears that it is not compatible with the CL-S6. The ECU / EMS's that look like the Hondata will work with are S300; KPro; FlashPro. All of which look like they don't work with the CL-S6 ECU. Check it out:

https://www.hondata.com/traction-control-product
Old 01-10-2018, 07:25 AM
Burning Brakes

2ndgentl, I was looking at the Hondata website for the traction control system you mentioned and it appears that it is not compatible with the CL-S6. The ECU / EMS's that look like the Hondata will work with are S300; KPro; FlashPro. All of which look like they don't work with the CL-S6 ECU. Check it out:

https://www.hondata.com/traction-control-product
Of course it's not compatible with the Acura CL type S, nothing ever is...lol thanks for doing some research and finding that out Zeta! I don't know what my friend was thinking about that it would be compatible for just about anything. There are cars out there that they make everything for, and then there are cars out there that they make barely nothing for,like ours, but that just makes me appreciate what I have more. Most people would have given up by now with this car, but I like having something completely different then what you normally see on the road every day. The other day I had a couple of kids trying to race me in a Mazda 3. I punched it next to them and left them in the dust. Then they pulled up next to me at the light all excited and asked me what kind of a beastly car is that?! They literally had no idea what I was driving and when I told them what it was they have never heard of it before which is making me think that it's almost becoming an antique pretty soon. Lol
Old 01-10-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Love it that the J35 lived up to the hype (not surprised at all ).

I've been wanting to hunt down a 3.5 TL-S to see how I'd match up with my Odyssey swap but no dice so far. I have though, severely hurt the feelings of an older gentleman in a newerish 535i..
Old 08-21-2019, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
What size did you end up going with? I was looking at 18x 9 +35's and was hoping theyd fit 255/35 on them.