Transmission went out today! Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission went out today! Help

So, I recently starting having issues with my 03 acura cl, flashing 5, downshifting and slipping when driving etc. Today I had to drive about 45 min, I was hesitant because I had planned to take the car to amco to figure out what was wrong. I have been praying its the speed sensor.

So it seemed like the car just all of a sudden slipped out of gear when I was going about 75 on the freeway. I could not change gears and get it to engage, so I coasted to a stop. and I think the car was smoking a bit, that's possible but not for sure, because cars were throwing dust on me so that may have been it. it smelled like some burned plastic and it was very hot near the dip stick. I had put in some autozone tranny oil abouit a week ago, it smelled a bit like that stuff. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I could not tell if there was too much oil or if it was all gone, I was thinking maybe it all leaked out, or the clutch burned out? im not sure, but is this a speed sensor problem. I took an uber home after letting the car sit for an hour, and I was able to drvie it around a biy when it was cooled down. it was still shifting hard from 1 to 2, that makes me thibk its the speed sensor, please help, what should I do tomorrow, its 45 min away from my house, should I just get the transmission fluid fully changed and the filter and then maybe get the speed sensor changed?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
IMO: If your unfamiliar, with the 2G Acura CL/TL model transmission issues, the operational problems, you describe, SHOULD have triggered your check engine light. Check the transmission fluid level, than drive it, or have it towed, to a trusted shop, and have the codes read. A P0740 code, would NOT be a good thing. From the symptoms you describe, your transmission, has a serious issue. If, the transmission is TOAST, you should consider replacing it, with an 06/07 Honda Accord, AV6 transmission, rather than having it repaired, or rebuilt. I recommend you read-up on the extensive transmission problems, and fixes, posted on this Forum, to better familiarize yourself, with all options, available, to you. GOOD LUCK
Old 07-23-2018, 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

ok I got the codes today, its p0780 p1750 and p1751 ,
the transmission shop wants to charge me 500 dollars to take it apart and diagnose the problem, then charge me more,
I told them I want to just check the valve body (he mentioned the correct term when I said, that's a common issue, and I want to check the speed sensors and solenoids and replace them where needed, and I want an oil change, and he pretty much laughed and me and said he wouldn't do it that, I need to find out what the problem is, I said well what if that fixes the issues, and he didn have much to say he really wanted to take it apart and get the 500 dollars.
he says theres glitter particles in the transmission oil and It was low and looked burnt. So I am thinking I had put a quart of castrol in it for honda behicles, and maybe my car didn't like it and it overheated my transmission and im hoping theres not a lot wrong with it. I don't wanna pay 500 just to find out it needs a few thigns done and a fluid change. Any opinions/ ideas? how much is a transmission from another car, and how much to install, im tired of this happening, already had a rebuild 20k miles ago.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Cruisin'

also, when it broke down I put about 2 quarts of fluid in the expensive Valvoline everyone says to use, and they still said it seemed pretty LOW, so im thinking, maybe I was almost out of fluid and it started to overheat???
Old 07-23-2018, 05:33 PM
Cruisin'

also, when I put my 03 vin in acura recall, it says airbag recall, not trans, im pretty sure ive been left out of the recall, with the same exact problems?
Old 07-23-2018, 07:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
IMO: First off, if the transmission has metal particles floating around, in the fluid, that's a pretty good indication, that your transmission is TOAST, irrespective of the failure codes! As I mentioned earlier, if you look at previous posts, regarding replacing your transmission, with a transmission from an 06-07 Honda Accord V6, you will find. that is the most viable solution! Cost estimate= $600 - $1200, for the AV6 transmission, and $500 - $700, to have it installed. If you let the shop, which you currently, don't seem to have much faith in, rebuild your current transmission, your probably looking at $3,000 +++! As far as the Acura Good Will Warranty Transmission adjustment is concerned, your car is way beyond that Policy!
Old 07-23-2018, 08:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't rebuild this tranny if a shop paid me to do it. As mentioned the auto v6 tranny seemed to be markedly better with the 5 speed units from 7th gen Accords and 3rd gen TLs. Good luck OP.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:21 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by loliwin
also, when I put my 03 vin in acura recall, it says airbag recall, not trans, im pretty sure ive been left out of the recall, with the same exact problems?
Wouldn't have mattered. The recall only covered it for 109k miles OR 7 years. Your car is far older than that. Even if it was still covered, the problem is the transmission design. A rebuilt transmission may last 100k miles or 1k (there have been people on this forum that have gone through 3 in 10k miles).

As others recommended, look to upgrade to a newer transmission with a better design.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's very likely that your transmission at minimum needs a rebuild. The CL I bought had very low miles (62,000), had been religiously serviced at the dealer with full service records, it had the oil jet mod, and I did the three tranny fluid change deal with Honda genuine transmission fluid and my transmission still started slipping bad at 75,000 miles.

I was going to try and have someone put in the AV6 transmission, but I couldn't find a transmission shop in my city that would do it. I ended up having it rebuilt. FWIW, the shop that did the rebuild said that several years ago the rebuild kit for that transmission was revised to include updated parts that address the fault with the transmissions that cause them to so consistently die early. I'm not sure how true that is but the owner of the shop was extremely confident in what he was saying so I took his word for it.