0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Aftermarket Radius Rod Bushings Poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by zeta
Yes, I agree. I guess what I was questioning was the vertical size of the Moogs vs the OEMs. From the bushing picture that richardparker provided above, it appears that the Moogs are slightly larger, vertically, as they would sit one their base. Which, inturn, would explain the increased size of the collar provided by Moog.

A picture of the Moog bushings vs OEMs, like richardparkers collar picture side-by-side, would prove/disprove the point I'm trying to articulate via text.
Here are pics of moog, oem and es all next to each other. Is this what you were asking for? Btw moog is blue, oem is dirty looking black and es is shiny black.

The following 2 users liked this post by brian6speed:
CLSspeedx (09-14-2011), zeta (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
Here are pics of moog, oem and es all next to each other. Is this what you were asking for? Btw moog is blue, oem is dirty looking black and es is shiny black.

Yes, that is perfect, thanks.

With the comparison in the picture above it clearly shows they are all practically the same height. The Moog height was deceiving my perception at the other angles in previous pictures because of the flared lip.

Therefore, since I reused the OEM collar, which is shorter, when I replaced my OEM's with ES, they will be under additional compression in comparison to the increased collar lengths provided by Moog. Interesting.

brian6speed, which one are you going to try on your car?

Last edited by zeta; 09-01-2011 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CLSspeedx (09-14-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Yes, that is perfect, thanks.

With the comparison in the picture above it clearly shows they are all practically the same height. The Moog height was deceiving my perception at the other angles in previous pictures because of the flared lip.

Therefore, since I reused the OEM collar, which is shorter, when I replaced my OEM's with ES, they will be under additional compression in comparison to the increased collar lengths provided by Moog. Interesting.

brian6speed, which one are you going to try on your car?
The moogs may use a slightly larger sleeve as they may not require as much compression? (then again i didnt compare my stock sleeve to the moog to actually know if they were different length?)
Old 09-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The moogs may use a slightly larger sleeve as they may not require as much compression? (then again i didnt compare my stock sleeve to the moog to actually know if they were different length?)
I think the shorter OEM RR collar length was designed in consideration primarily to increase the compression from the 'soft as cheese' OEM RR bushings. That, inturn, allowed for a more luxurious suspension feel our cars were intended for.

The TL/CL RR collars share the same OEM part number. So, your OEM collars should be the same length as my reused CL-S6's. Now, with the modified RR durometer ratings currently available via the aftermarket, Moog engineers probably calculated, somewhere along the line, that an increased collar length was needed to get that sweet spot between performance and luxury.

Anyway, IMHO, this mod is one of the best ones to come along in awhile. I wish I could of experimented with the energy suspension LCA bushings discussed in the thread below; however, I just replaced them, so I will have to wait.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/front-lower-arm-bushing-compatability-possibility-830344/
CLSspeedx (09-14-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
Can i get those bushings possibly moogs from autozone ?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 AM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
I think they were 40 something at stores.
and 30 something off ebay.
I've been noticing my ride has gotton a bit more ruff hiting bumps and might be going back to oem to check out the difference.
so bad that it sounds like the dash is hitting the bumps not the tires
Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Went to autozone the dont have radious rod bushing nor strut rod bushings. im going to go work on the car and i wanted to change it today
Old 09-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

I found them in advance auto parts $42
Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Just in case someone need it.

CLSspeedx (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 09:55 AM

Started to get some knocking from the bushings this morning.
Everything is as tight as it can be with the moog bushings and sleeve's.
Just ordered all oem pieces to see what's really going on.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

I have about 4k miles already on mine So far so good. I really like them Front end is much better.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by richardparker
Started to get some knocking from the bushings this morning.
Everything is as tight as it can be with the moog bushings and sleeve's.
Just ordered all oem pieces to see what's really going on.
Did you ever replace the OEM sleeves with the Moogs?

I got a low thud/snap noise now and I'm thinking it's either the RR bushings or front bolt(s). The noise happens mostly at LOW speeds of between 0-30mph (backing out of the driveway - curb lip, humps in the road, etc).

endlinks are new, just installed about 2 weeks ago, but one of the Moog's rubber caps were split before even putting them on (only on the passenger side where I have the noise).

By the sounding of it, I'll be doing the RR bushings regardless...seems well worth it.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Neejay
Did you ever replace the OEM sleeves with the Moogs?

I got a low thud/snap noise now and I'm thinking it's either the RR bushings or front bolt(s). The noise happens mostly at LOW speeds of between 0-30mph (backing out of the driveway - curb lip, humps in the road, etc).

endlinks are new, just installed about 2 weeks ago, but one of the Moog's rubber caps were split before even putting them on (only on the passenger side where I have the noise).

By the sounding of it, I'll be doing the RR bushings regardless...seems well worth it.
Im very happy with my Moog RR bushings. Made a big improvement in steering response (for me and my setup) still solid and very quiet.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Recently turned 18

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So to recap...what would be a good list of what ALL to order to cure this mystery bump? Once I get back from Aghanistan I HAVE to do this. Sometimes the car sounds really bad, especially on DC streets.

Apologize if someone posted that list already.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,134 Likes on 4,804 Posts
I finally installed the Energy Suspension bushings. I dont know why I didnt do this 40k miles ago. My old, most likely OE bushings were doughing. Everything up front feels tighter and the car feels glued to the road more.

But, I do have to add that when I installed these I also put in new lower control arms, sway bar bushings, and MOOG sway bar end links. Still, the front end feels 100x better.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I finally installed the Energy Suspension bushings. I dont know why I didnt do this 40k miles ago. My old, most likely OE bushings were doughing. Everything up front feels tighter and the car feels glued to the road more.
Good to hear.

But, I do have to add that when I installed these I also put in new lower control arms, sway bar bushings, and MOOG sway bar end links. Still, the front end feels 100x better.
I must say that I to had replaced my LCA bushings, end links and sway bushings within the last 24 months, since they all had over 100k on them. They all helped tighten up the front end slightly; however, when the aftermarket RR bushings were installed, only then did I really notice a difference.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:28 AM
Suzuka Master

So with install of moogs bushing i should use their sleeves or reuse oem ?
Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by StreetKA
Good question.

richardparker was the only one who commented that reused the OEM collars with the Moogs and he stated, in little detail, that he had a problem.

fsttyms1 on the TL side used the slightly longer collars that came with the Moogs and he has had no problems and likes the improvement they added to his setup.

If you look at the pictures above that brian6speed supplied of all of the RR bushings they all appear to be the same size, so I'm not sure that reusing the OEMs with the Moogs would be problematic.

Last edited by zeta; 10-13-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Pro

Yeah, richardparker using OEM = back to clunking

Everyone else that I read did the replacement used Moog collars and all was good.

I'd stick with whatever collars some with Moog. I think the bushing material is what plays a role in the needed length of collar (in terms of compression).
Old 10-13-2011, 10:53 AM

I had a problem with the moogs with the sleeves that came with them 1st. They would not tighten down enough.
So loose that after being tightend I could grab the front screw and move the radius rod.
So I went with a shorter sleeve to make it tight. I did make it tight but still kept getting knocking.
Went to new oem everything to the lock nut and it seams to be easyier over bumps but their is still a light knocking every once in awhile.
I'm leaning towards another issue perhaps is causing my noise.
I know I've been having a axle noise and I think my motor mounts are about due to be replaced.
On that note my next pieces I will get will most likely be a pair of axles and some mounts.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:48 PM

I reused all OEM hardware with the Energy Suspension bushings.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Pro

quick question: would bad RR bushings make noise randomly? Or would it always happen on braking and accelerating only?

My pop/thud is awful random. I can't link it to any part of my driving.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by StreetKA
I used the ones that came with the moog bushings.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:51 AM
Recently turned 18

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So who has replaced the most parts to fix the issue and what all did you replace?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Pro

I just finished installing my RR bushings (haven't test driven yet), but I noticed that I don't have ANY adjustment shims on neither of my rods...only the large washers???
Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 PM

Thats how mine was. Only the two large washers on either side. Thats how my old Prelude and Civic was too.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Neejay
I just finished installing my RR bushings (haven't test driven yet), but I noticed that I don't have ANY adjustment shims on neither of my rods...only the large washers???
When you get it aligned, if the caster falls into spec, then that is a good thing. Mine did not have any shims from the factory as well.

If you installed them yourself, a noticeable increase in the stiffness of travel at the LCA should have been evident (over the OEMs) when making the connections. I noticed it right away. Then the drive really confirmed it.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Pro

Thats how mine was. Only the two large washers on either side. Thats how my old Prelude and Civic was too.
When you get it aligned, if the caster falls into spec, then that is a good thing. Mine did not have any shims from the factory as well.

If you installed them yourself, a noticeable increase in the stiffness of travel at the LCA should have been evident (over the OEMs) when making the connections. I noticed it right away. Then the drive really confirmed it.
Ah, ok. Thanks for confirming guys.

Just drove it and my RATTLE/CLANK/POP is GONE!!! So happy this was a cheap fix. I was unsure if it was one of the control arms (upper or lower) or the RR...but eventually I heard the noise more on acceleration or letting off the gas. So I went with the cheapest solution + gut.

And as everyone has said, I noticed a huge difference in stiffness/driving. Thanks zeta for the instructions + side notes. Worked perfectly.

EDIT: I used the Moog ones + Moog hardware.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Pro

Reporting back to inform anyone who changes them: BE SURE TO GET NEW RADIUS ROD BUSHING NUTS!!

I had a bad noise, when I had to hard brake twice, the wheel was rubbing the back of my wheel well + you could see the wheel sitting closer to the back of the wheel well while parked.

I jacked the car up, and as soon as I took off the splash shield the passenger side old nut, front-half bushing, AND center cylinder FELL TO THE GROUND! The RR shaft had worn a half-moon circle in the frame and it was slightly frayed (if that's the right word). Driver's side was slightly loose as well. I torqued them back and within the next few days, I bought brand new ones. The new ones have plastic at the end of the nut threading, old ones did NOT. Torqued properly, the new nuts should not be able to come off at all.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Installed!

Installed a set of energy suspension radius rod bushing earlier this week. What a difference they made. So happy I finally got them installed as I had them in a box for a month... I took pics of the install and old parts but they mysteriously vanished from my phone. I can tell you that my old bushings were totally deformed. The passenger side was almost flat as a pancake, and was starting to come apart. The inside of all the bushings were grooved out pretty deep as well. Also the outsides had changed shape too.
I only have 65k on the car but with the mods I have it was time to change them anyway.

The radius rod bushings are the weak link for sure. Overall the car feels better in just about every aspect. Most obvious was the improvement in braking. Without the front wheels moving around as much the brakes seem to grab with more authority. It might just be me but the suspension feels a tad bit softer. The suspension seems to soak up the bumps more rapidly now that the wheels are under more control.

Looking at the suspension geometry more closely from underneath during the install I can tell what a huge part these play in the overall dynamics of the way the car handles the road. Steering response is better, as well as take-off from a dead stop. With my mounts, dampeners, and stiffy mount this car just leaps forward with minimal wheel spin(need tires), and no wheel hop period. Its crazy. Doing this mod is a no-brainer. If you have even lightly moded your Cl these bushings are a must have.

I rarely come on here and post but I am just so happy with this mod, for 50$ (i got all new oem washers, nuts, and sleeves) you cant go wrong.
zeta (01-30-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

how's are your mounts btw ?

i installed the moog bushings too car feels much better
zeta (01-30-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SlickShiftNall6
Installed a set of energy suspension radius rod bushing earlier this week. What a difference they made. So happy I finally got them installed as I had them in a box for a month... I took pics of the install and old parts but they mysteriously vanished from my phone. I can tell you that my old bushings were totally deformed. The passenger side was almost flat as a pancake, and was starting to come apart. The inside of all the bushings were grooved out pretty deep as well. Also the outsides had changed shape too.
I only have 65k on the car but with the mods I have it was time to change them anyway.

The radius rod bushings are the weak link for sure. Overall the car feels better in just about every aspect. Most obvious was the improvement in braking. Without the front wheels moving around as much the brakes seem to grab with more authority. It might just be me but the suspension feels a tad bit softer. The suspension seems to soak up the bumps more rapidly now that the wheels are under more control.

Looking at the suspension geometry more closely from underneath during the install I can tell what a huge part these play in the overall dynamics of the way the car handles the road. Steering response is better, as well as take-off from a dead stop. With my mounts, dampeners, and stiffy mount this car just leaps forward with minimal wheel spin(need tires), and no wheel hop period. Its crazy. Doing this mod is a no-brainer. If you have even lightly moded your Cl these bushings are a must have.

I rarely come on here and post but I am just so happy with this mod, for 50$ (i got all new oem washers, nuts, and sleeves) you cant go wrong.
Great feedback. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 AM
03 CLS-6

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
I think I might pick up a set since everyone is saying it makes a noticeable difference. I'll let you guys know how it feels after I install a set.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:05 PM
03 CLS-6

Just want to make sure these are the right ones?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPSHOCAMS_____
Old 02-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

^
K9733 is the correct Moog part# for the CL-S.

You can save some money at ES, where a pair is $22.87 shipped. You will have to reuse all your OEM collars and RR washers. The manual states to replace the RR self lock nuts. You could always put some blue/red loctite on if that is easier.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...prod=16%2E7103
Old 02-06-2012, 04:26 PM
shifting at 7k

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
^Do you know what the Moog bushings come with?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

^
Click on the link in post #114.
azeezp13 (02-06-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 07:29 PM
03 CLS-6

^
K9733 is the correct Moog part# for the CL-S.

You can save some money at ES, where a pair is $22.87 shipped. You will have to reuse all your OEM collars and RR washers. The manual states to replace the RR self lock nuts. You could always put some blue/red loctite on if that is easier.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...prod=16%2E7103
Thanks for the heads up. So what's the better bushing moog or energy suspension?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 1foxbody
Thanks for the heads up. So what's the better bushing moog or energy suspension?
Thank brian6speed/civicdrivr, they had some on hand initially which sparked the curiosity.

Personal preference.

The ES RR bushings above are for the Accord; however, they are compatiable with our CL chassis as well.

I had tried Moog LCA bushings about 24 months ago and had to replace them with OEM because they split.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-tires-wheels-suspension-54/simple-ball-joint-separation-740248/

Had I known that ES had some that were compatable with our LCA's, I would have tried them. This is discussed on the link below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830344

I believe either are equally suited for stiffening the front end suspension up. If you have 100K+ on the OEMs, then this is a nice inexpensive upgrade.

Last edited by zeta; 02-06-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 PM
03 CLS-6

Thank brian6speed/civicdrivr, they had some on hand initially which sparked the curiosity.

Personal preference.

The ES RR bushings above are for the Accord; however, they are compatiable with our CL chassis as well.

I had tried Moog LCA bushings about 24 months ago and had to replace them with OEM because they split.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740248

Had I known that ES had some that were compatable with our LCA's, I would have tried them. This is discussed on the link below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830344

I believe either are equally suited for stiffening the front end suspension up. If you have 100K+ on the OEMs, then this is a nice inexpensive upgrade.
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm just going to do the RR bushings for now to see if I notice a difference. The last time I saw my LCA'S I'm pretty sure the bushings looked fine. I still haven't hit 100k miles yet but I'm pretty close. I will let you guys know how it feels after I install a set .

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radius Rod Bushings Poll