How many immediate problems with 2019 RDX are too many?

Old 08-31-2018, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
Other gripes? I don't like the character lines in the hood on either side. They are distracting while driving with the amount they stick up.
I also disliked the lines in the hood. I prefer cars where you cannot really see the hood while driving. I noticed that the BMW X3 has similar lines, but they did not seem to stick up as far.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:09 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffro941
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say the 2019 RDX is not the car for you. I on the other hand am in love with mine. The infotainment system is a little quirky, but I expect Acura to remedy that. I could not be happier with the fit, finish, handling and interior of the car
What makes you say that?

Old 09-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else having issues pumping gas? Gas station near my house's auto stop system repeatedly kicks in. Was way less effort filling car with a car then it is with the new capless system...

Also I noticed the body panel on back of car is slightly off. Heres a pic, is this normal? Seems to be different on both sides. https://imgur.com/a/fG2JJGC
Old 09-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Pearl77
While those having no/few complaints do not post on message boards with the propensity that those who have problems do, the litany of gripes here and elsewhere says that Acura definitely put the new RDX out before they had done enough tests to make sure that basic things were not going to be regular issues. I have a deposit on a Performance Red Advance for which I believe I have a pretty good deal, and I am not easily scared off, but I am almost ready to take a financial hit and cancel this deal and wait until a) Acura gets their act together, or b) I find a car I like better with fewer complaints. My vision of a new car is not spending endless hours at the dealer to fix basic things.
I took 2019 RDX for a test drive, liked it, however I felt it had too much technology which equals problems. I decided to wait till the 2020 comes out see reviews. I would imagine these issues will be resolved by then.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:15 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cgprelude
Anyone else having issues pumping gas? Gas station near my house's auto stop system repeatedly kicks in. Was way less effort filling car with a car then it is with the new capless system...

Also I noticed the body panel on back of car is slightly off. Heres a pic, is this normal? Seems to be different on both sides. https://imgur.com/a/fG2JJGC
Try pulling the nozzle back about an inch, i.e. don't shove it all the way in.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
I also disliked the lines in the hood. I prefer cars where you cannot really see the hood while driving. I noticed that the BMW X3 has similar lines, but they did not seem to stick up as far.
I think the lines are there to impart some structural rigidity.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by K-redd
I took 2019 RDX for a test drive, liked it, however I felt it had too much technology which equals problems. I decided to wait till the 2020 comes out see reviews. I would imagine these issues will be resolved by then.

Every car made today has "too much technology" and there really isn't much that's unique to the RDX except for the new infotainment system which will have OTA updates to manage as time progresses. It's all about the software and I really don't think waiting until 2020 will make much difference but your money.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
Every car made today has "too much technology"...
That's becoming true of many things today. Cars and cell phones are both not much more than computers with different design goals.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cazman:

I bought the Kuat Transfer 2 and locking kit from Amazon and am extremely happy with both. Do you have any suggestions on how to mitigate the constant alert when the RDX is in reverse and the rack is tilted up? Somewhat annoying and the only drawback to a very good system.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
So I picked up my new RDX Friday night and the only problem I noticed with it was with the Lane Keep Assist. I felt like a ping pong ball going back and forth in the lane. I was wondering if it was just a matter of it being the width of the lane and the system just bouncing the car back and forth within the lines. It was keeping me in the lane, but if a cop had seen me, I think I'd have been test for DUI. Eventually I gave up on it. Other than that, loving my RDX, especially the HUD. I think it is my favorite feature.
The following users liked this post:
GW208 (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Pirate Princess
So I picked up my new RDX Friday night and the only problem I noticed with it was with the Lane Keep Assist. I felt like a ping pong ball going back and forth in the lane. I was wondering if it was just a matter of it being the width of the lane and the system just bouncing the car back and forth within the lines. It was keeping me in the lane, but if a cop had seen me, I think I'd have been test for DUI. Eventually I gave up on it. Other than that, loving my RDX, especially the HUD. I think it is my favorite feature.
can you turn it off?
Old 09-09-2018, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pirate Princess
...I felt like a ping pong ball going back and forth in the lane. I was wondering if it was just a matter of it being the width of the lane and the system just bouncing the car back and forth within the lines...
Sounds like you were letting the system do the steering for you which is not what it's designed to do.

From the OM:

Provides steering input to help keep the vehicle in the middle of a detected lane and
provides tactile and visual alerts if the vehicle is detected drifting out of its lane.

■Steering input assist
The system applies torque to the steering to keep the vehicle between the left and
right lane lines. The applied torque becomes stronger as the vehicle gets closer to
either of the lane lines.

The LKAS is for your convenience only. It is not a
substitute for your vehicle control

Old 09-10-2018, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Sounds like you were letting the system do the steering for you which is not what it's designed to do.

From the OM:
I was experimenting a little bit on a rural interstate and when I greatly relaxed my grip on the steering wheel while still keeping my hands on the wheel and Lane Keeping Assist was on, I got a warning to keep my hands on the steering wheel. Apparently when there is side torque to keep within the lane lines, the system expects resistance from your grip on the wheel which should keep the car from yawing back and forth. I view that feature mostly as a safety measure for when you might become drowsy or somehow have your attention diverted.

I am interested to see how it behaves when there is a light layer of snow on the road towards the edge of the lane and in the middle of the lane between the wheel tracks. I suppose it probably should be disengaged then.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gtssenior
...I am interested to see how it behaves when there is a light layer of snow on the road towards the edge of the lane and in the middle of the lane between the wheel tracks. I suppose it probably should be disengaged then.
Under those conditions you shouldn't even attempt to use it as there is no way for the system to differentiate between lane markings and 'snow tracks'.

OM page 476

The system may not detect lane markings and therefore may not keep the vehicle in
the middle of a lane under certain conditions, including the following:

■ Environmental conditions
Driving in bad weather (rain, fog, snow, etc.).
• Sudden changes between light and dark, such as an entrance or exit of a tunnel.
There is little contrast between lane lines and the roadway surface.
• Driving into low sunlight (e.g., at dawn or dusk).
• Strong light is reflected onto the roadway.
• Driving in the shadows of trees, buildings, etc.
• Shadows of adjacent objects are parallel to lane markings.
Roadway objects or structures are misinterpreted as lane markers.
• Reflections on the interior of the windshield.
• Driving at night or in a dark condition such as a tunnel.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Under those conditions you shouldn't even attempt to use it as there is no way for the system to differentiate between lane markings and 'snow tracks'.
THIS^^^ Do NOT try this when the road markings are compromised...not designed for this at all and you are only asking for trouble.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Add another problem to my long list. First cold weather, pushed the heated steering wheel button. Nothing, no indicator light, no heated steering wheel. Took the car to the dealer for the 9th time in 9 weeks. They verified the problem and said it was not the fuse, bummer. Have a service scheduled with a loaner for another stay on the 10th visit.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazman
Add another problem to my long list. First cold weather, pushed the heated steering wheel button. Nothing, no indicator light, no heated steering wheel. Took the car to the dealer for the 9th time in 9 weeks. They verified the problem and said it was not the fuse, bummer. Have a service scheduled with a loaner for another stay on the 10th visit.
with this many problem, have you asked for a swap yet? You know most dealer will never offer you one without you demanding right?
Old 09-20-2018, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Exclamation "She's A Rainbow"... NOT

Originally Posted by acuraada

with this many problem, have you asked for a swap yet? You know most dealer will never offer you one without you demanding right?
Good suggestion. I have requested that the scheduled service I have to fix my non-functional heated steering wheel be changed to coincide with the Acura regional visit to my dealer. I requested a face to face meeting and will let you know how it turns out.

Besides the plethora of issues I have with my RDX Advance I plan to address how the climate control system is supposed to function. We have had much debate on the forum about the fact that the A/C is marginal. The system never switches out of "recirculate" unless you manually depress the recirculate button to turn it off, whereupon the auto indicator also turns off. I want him to explain how the "auto" indicator is on with the recirculate indicator off in the RDX ad that plays "She's A Rainbow". I just noticed this today. You need to pause it but it is clearly the case. I'm getting pretty tired of Acura just brushing off all the common issues that we have with "that's they way it is supposed to be, they are all like that". This is my first Acura and may be my last. From my experience Acura is good at talking but not very good at doing. They need to stop the BS and get us a system update that rectifies many of the issues we are experiencing.

Last edited by Cazman; 09-20-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Pearl77 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:38 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Good suggestion. I have requested that the scheduled service I have to fix my non-functional heated steering wheel be changed to coincide with the Acura regional visit to my dealer. I requested a face to face meeting and will let you know how it turns out.

Besides the plethora of issues I have with my RDX Advance I plan to address how the climate control system is supposed to function. We have had much debate on the forum about the fact that the A/C is marginal. The system never switches out of "recirculate" unless you manually depress the recirculate button to turn it off, whereupon the auto indicator also turns off. I want him to explain how the "auto" indicator is on with the recirculate indicator off in the RDX ad that plays "She's A Rainbow". I just noticed this today. You need to pause it but it is clearly the case. I'm getting pretty tired of Acura just brushing off all the common issues that we have with "that's they way it is supposed to be, they are all like that". This is my first Acura and may be my last. From my experience Acura is good at talking but not very good at doing. They need to stop the BS and get us a system update that rectifies many of the issues we are experiencing.
It is still low milage enough to sale if you are not happy with it. Should not be much of a loss. Sorry to hear you didnt have a much better experience.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:15 PM
Intermediate

My RDX stays in inside air 95% of the time I drive however I have seen it switch to outside air twice now. I should have paid better attention to the specific conditions but I was very surprised when it happened since everyone mentions it on this thread. I'm starting to think it's not broken but designed to work this way. I don't entirely mind since less pollution on the highway (I hope) but my other car with a similar system switches between the two (inside air/outside air) way more often.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cgprelude
My RDX stays in inside air 95% of the time I drive however I have seen it switch to outside air twice now. I should have paid better attention to the specific conditions but I was very surprised when it happened since everyone mentions it on this thread. I'm starting to think it's not broken but designed to work this way. I don't entirely mind since less pollution on the highway (I hope) but my other car with a similar system switches between the two (inside air/outside air) way more often.
This is interesting. When did you take delivery and what model do you have (base, tech or advance)?

I can say definitely that my system never changes from recirculate in auto mode. I confirmed this on a recent trip that entailed six hours of driving. Another owner of a pretty recently acquired tech model has a system that apparently works correctly. I noticed in the pic he provided that he was using Apple Play and I thought maybe that had some correlation. I set up mine with Apple Play but it made no difference. Mine is an advance model that I acquired in mid June.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
It is still low milage enough to sale if you are not happy with it. Should not be much of a loss. Sorry to hear you didnt have a much better experience.
I like the car and just want it fixed. It will be pretty revealing of Acura if the only recourse I have to resolve the problems with my RDX is to sell the vehicle!! Once you drive a care off the lot you are in for quite a surprise if you try to sell it. You can expect it to depreciate 10% the day you drive it away. $5000. is pretty significant to me. I now have almost 4K miles on it and with the service history I would take more of a hit. I don't think selling it is practicle.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts
My car finally arrived at the dealership yesterday and was supposed to be scheduled to be picked up this morning but I noticed the driver-side taillight did not line up properly because the left side of the hatch wasn't aligned correctly. I thought it would be a simple adjustment of the rubber bumpers, but apparently when they adjusted it, it made a louder sound when it closes; so now they will have to wait until next week so their body shop can look into aligning it properly. I was hoping to pick it up for my birthday but now I have to wait even longer.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vvlien
My car finally arrived at the dealership yesterday and was supposed to be scheduled to be picked up this morning but I noticed the driver-side taillight did not line up properly because the left side of the hatch wasn't aligned correctly. I thought it would be a simple adjustment of the rubber bumpers, but apparently when they adjusted it, it made a louder sound when it closes; so now they will have to wait until next week so their body shop can look into aligning it properly. I was hoping to pick it up for my birthday but now I have to wait even longer.
I know how excited we all can be when our new shiny vehicle arrives but one shouldn’t take delivery when such misalignment. Hopefully that’s the case here.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

I like the car and just want it fixed. It will be pretty revealing of Acura if the only recourse I have to resolve the problems with my RDX is to sell the vehicle!! Once you drive a care off the lot you are in for quite a surprise if you try to sell it. You can expect it to depreciate 10% the day you drive it away. $5000. is pretty significant to me. I now have almost 4K miles on it and with the service history I would take more of a hit. I don't think selling it is practicle.
Yes that Is going to be quite a hit on resell. Try to work lol ut the issues through your dealer and document all events.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Whatever you do, don't let them tell you they'll fix it after you sign the paperwork. If they can't get it to your satisfaction before you sign the paperwork, refuse the car and tell them to order another. You'll thank yourself later.
K-redd (09-24-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeh62
Whatever you do, don't let them tell you they'll fix it after you sign the paperwork. If they can't get it to your satisfaction before you sign the paperwork, refuse the car and tell them to order another. You'll thank yourself later.
They actually insisted that I wait until it’s fixed before I sign the papers.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

They actually insisted that I wait until it’s fixed before I sign the papers.
you got a winner dealership there
Old 12-05-2018, 12:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Update to all of the above:
Despite a couple more trips into the dealership, I am still having issues with Road Departure Mitigation, Auto-Headlights, Wind Noise (from the redesigned roof rack), Hands-free trunk and infotainment system... some of which the dealership and Acura district service manager believe will be directly addressed in that semi-mythical upcoming Software Update...

The heads-up for everyone here is that the District Service manager just emailed to let me know that the long-awaited first software update for the 2019 RDX's is expected to roll out soon - on December 14th (with announcements starting to go out on the 12th), to be specific.

Fingers, toes and legs crossed that this will address a significant number of issues, as promised...
Jeffro941 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by BeatboyUK
Update to all of the above:
Despite a couple more trips into the dealership, I am still having issues with Road Departure Mitigation, Auto-Headlights, Wind Noise (from the redesigned roof rack), Hands-free trunk and infotainment system... some of which the dealership and Acura district service manager believe will be directly addressed in that semi-mythical upcoming Software Update...

The heads-up for everyone here is that the District Service manager just emailed to let me know that the long-awaited first software update for the 2019 RDX's is expected to roll out soon - on December 14th (with announcements starting to go out on the 12th), to be specific.

Fingers, toes and legs crossed that this will address a significant number of issues, as promised...
Thanks for the scoop. Did your source state whether this is done by the owner via the system update menu selection or does it involve updates to other vehicle components that need to be done at the dealer?

Last edited by gtssenior; 12-05-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If I was a betting man......I’d bet against it. But I am hoping it’s true.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:23 PM
10th Gear

I was told that this is to be an over-the-air update..
Old 12-06-2018, 01:11 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
This was posted on FB
Old 12-06-2018, 02:15 PM
10th Gear

And here on AcuraZine as a sticky post...
Old 12-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Great so now it’s up twice ...
Old 12-11-2018, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to this forum/ Problems with 2019 Advanced

I'm posting this to find if anyone is having problems with the front suspension making noises (ratttles and sqeaks) going over bumps and generally going down the road at times? I also have a problem with the front passenger seat shifting and making a popping noise. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by lehidave
I'm posting this to find if anyone is having problems with the front suspension making noises (ratttles and sqeaks) going over bumps and generally going down the road at times? I also have a problem with the front passenger seat shifting and making a popping noise. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I have observed front left (driver side) suspension making some noise over bumps or dips when driving > 25/30 mph
Old 12-11-2018, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear

It feels like my grandmas car in front end sound at times. Not tight at all. It happens when rolling out of the driveway and at all speeds. I will have them check struts and torque on bolts next week. Hopefully this is all it is.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:31 AM
6th Gear

What would I need to do to have Acura extend my warranty? The car has been back three times already for infotainment/electrical issues.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimber
What would I need to do to have Acura extend my warranty? The car has been back three times already for infotainment/electrical issues.
Uhh ...probably buy an extended warranty? You could ask the dealer, but it's unlikely they'll just extend it unless they feel the problem was egregious.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many immediate problems with 2019 RDX are too many?