Signal Light Default Flash

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Signal Light Default Flash

Hi Folks,
New to the forum and glad to have found this site. Belong to a Lexus site and I can tell you, these forums are the best exchange of car knowledge you can find. I am the proud owner of a 2016 RLX Hybrid Advance, purchased 12/16. Love the car. Do have one gripe, the default turn signal flashing. I do not like that it is only 3 flashes. I have been unable to locate where, or even if, this setting can be changed. Has anyone been able to change this setting? I hate to keep talking about Lexus, but this setting is an easy fix on those vehicles. Thanks in advance for all responses!
Old 02-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Welcome to the board moose66 and congratulations on your purchase.

To my knowledge, the number of blinks when the turn signal is pushed up/down quickly is not a settable feature and if you want it to blink more thank three times, you just have to hold the turn signal up or down longer.
The following users liked this post:
moose66 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Welcome to our small but generous group. I may be prejudice, but the RLX SH is a brilliant machine with what seems like a select group of people have discovered.

The directional one-touch 3 flash configuration is not adjustable. Unless you flip the turn signal stalk to a full click, then the flasher continues until you turn it off or the steering wheel rotation disengages the flasher.
moose66 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the quick replies. I should have been a little more specific with my post. I was questioning the quick turn signal, where you just touch it down and it flashes for three times, without locking it in place. At least now I know not to complain to the tech at the stealership the next time I am there.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Moose66 really glad to have you as a part of our little group! I hope you enjoy the SH as much as we are.
Acura has always been very cautious with what you can change, when it comes to basic system functions.

Whenever you get a chance I would love to see a couple of picture of your SH with the Diamond cut wheels!

Thank you!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pgeorg
Moose66 really glad to have you as a part of our little group! I hope you enjoy the SH as much as we are.
Acura has always been very cautious with what you can change, when it comes to basic system functions.

Whenever you get a chance I would love to see a couple of picture of your SH with the Diamond cut wheels!

Thank you!
Understood. I guess I have been in a Lexus for too long. This is my first Acura since owning a 2002 MDX in 2004. Seems to me an easy fix. Just allow the change from the settings screen.

Should be decent weather this weekend here in the mid-south. I'll make sure I get a pic or two once I get her cleaned up.
pgeorg (02-10-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm guessing that the safety watchdogs at Acura agree with you that three flashes isn't always adequate. In an ideal world, all drivers would click up the turn signal when changing lanes in traffic, wait two or three flashes to announce their intention to change lanes and then, only once everyone around is aware of their intentions, safely proceed and then click off the turn signal once they have completed the lane change. Sadly, in reality a lot of drivers give the turn signal a quick bump as they have already begun changing lanes and their signal amounts to about half a flash (if they signal at all, but that is the topic for another thread). Acura's thinking is thus to have that little bump at least generate three flashes to give the cars that are being influenced by the lane change a bit more notice of the maneuver. In that real world scenario of the "quick flash while you go", more than three flashes would then be too many as it would begin to signal an additional lane change since three of the flashes would occur AFTER they have already completed the lane change. Less than three flashes might be considered too few to alert surrounding driver in the most real world scenarios and that is my guess at why Acura engineers designed the three flash bump.

I agree that being able to adjust the number of flashes would be a cool feature, but I'm just trying to think of Acura's logic in not employing it.

Anyway, hopefully once you've experience the torque vectoring of the SHAWD and the great mileage and acceleration of the Sport Hybrid, it should make you forget about that fourth flash. Enjoy
moose66 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Signalling is a sign of weakness...
hondamore (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
Signalling is a sign of weakness...
LOL . . . . . . . Is that supposed be received the same as not signalling being a sign of laziness? Pretty good.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

... and STOP signs / lights are merely suggestions...
Old 02-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have a friend who has a "I know where I'm going so I don't need to signal" attitude and I frequently remind him how much autobody repair shops love guys like him. Maybe the IIHS should push for a new function in cars that applies an increasinlgy severe shock to drivers who don't signal when they change lanes or turn (or text while driving, or tailgate.......).

Sorry for the rant...not signaling is a bit of a pet peeve.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

You have A LOT of friends on the roads, hondamore.

With the autonomy suites becoming commonplace, particularly BSW, it is becoming increasingly annoying NOT to use directional signals. If the suite is engaged (in our case AcuraWatch) the driver gets annoying flashes or beeps when changing lanes and BSW senses a car trailing your rear flank. And if you do not signal, to fake out the BSW, then the LDW alerts and shakes the steering wheel. So if you regular zig zag lanes (and these type of drivers never leave reasonable clearance) these two systems will be nagging you until you signal. The only way to avoid them is to disable the autonomy suite, which includes ACC, CMBS and LDM.

Just as we have warning bings and bongs, Infotainment disclaimer messages and seat belt required snares, it wont be long before 'required' signalling and 'required distance to change lanes' become built in without options to disable by the Fed Car Nannies..

And like your friend, I am convinced the overwhelming majority of drivers operate without any awareness of other drivers reacting to how they behave on the road (or care). I believe they also have a mindset of 'I think my car will fit there' and the left lane is the 'I don't have to pay attention lane - zone out or update-my-Facebook-page lane

The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (02-11-2017), pgeorg (02-11-2017)