Power Folding side mirrors 2016 RLX

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:14 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Folding side mirrors 2016 RLX

Loving my new RLX - question about the power fold side mirrors - I know I can do this manually with the button, but I noticed that sometimes when I lock the car, the mirrors fold automatically - but not all the time?!

I thought they were supposed to fold upon locking and unfold upon approach - can someone help me?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Are you using different fobs? The personalized settings align to the fob (Driver 1 or Driver 2) and you may have them set only to fold with one of the Driver profiles / setting.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:17 AM
3rd Gear

That may be it - I have driver 1, driver 2 folds the mirrors upon lick - how do I program my fob to do that?
Old 01-27-2016, 11:36 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

It is done via the MID, not the fob. However WHICH fob you are in the car with will be the fob that acknowledges this personal setting.

The pathway in the MID is: Vehicle Settings > Door Setup > Auto Folding Door Mirror.

Page 115 of the owners Manual:
Attached Thumbnails Power Folding side mirrors 2016 RLX-mid.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
jdrfive5 (01-28-2016), miner (01-28-2016), Rolex Paws (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 11:45 AM
3rd Gear

Got it! Thank you so much!
Old 01-30-2016, 06:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
one thing I noticed is if the car is off the mirrors fold back out when I unlock the car. However, if I use the remote start they do not fold out until I am in the car and turn the car on.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:14 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by pac1999
one thing I noticed is if the car is off the mirrors fold back out when I unlock the car. However, if I use the remote start they do not fold out until I am in the car and turn the car on.
Remote Start does not activate most accessories, such as stereo & lights. It does activate climate control. I believe it is purposeful as to not drawn attention to a running, unmanned car. Think of it as Stealth Mode. That is one reason why you must push the START button when you enter, to activate the dash, lights, etc...and your mirrors will have opened when you touched the door handle (assuming you have them set so in the Personal Settings for the Driver Fob #.)
Old 01-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
...and your mirrors will have opened when you touched the door handle (assuming you have them set so in the Personal Settings for the Driver Fob #.)
I believe that if you use the remote start, the mirrors unfold when you press the start button also (I apologize if i misunderstood what you said). They also do not unfold if you use the AcuraLink app, or AcuraLink website to unlock the car.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by pgeorg
I believe that if you use the remote start, the mirrors unfold when you press the start button also (I apologize if i misunderstood what you said). They also do not unfold if you use the AcuraLink app, or AcuraLink website to unlock the car.

You may be correct pgeorg. I will test it out tomorrow and report back. I just assumed when you unlocked the car by grabbing the door handle, they would unfold as typical.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (01-30-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 11:16 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

You are correct pgeorg. The mirrors did not unfold when I unlocked w/ door handles. After pressing the START button they unfolded.

But I had an unexpected occurrence.

I started the car with remote start.
I opened the passenger side door with handle
I reached over the console to press START again (mirrors unfolded, dash illuminated, etc.)
I pressed START again to shut off car (being in the pax seat, I did NOT depress brake pedal).
Car shut off.
I exited car and locked car with handle button.
Seconds later, the stereo and Navi turned on!
I could NOT unlock the doors with either the handles or remote (either one!).
After a few minutes of 'oh crap!' I remembered the manual key in the fob.
I unlocked the door on DRIVERS side, got in, depressed brake pedal and pushed START button to shut down the car. It did.

I can only assume that when I THOUGHT I had shut the car off from the pax side, by not depressing brake pedal, I switched it to ACCESSORY mode. Why it did not go into ACCESSORY mode until after I got out of the car and locked it, dunno. Further, dunno why it would not acknowledge the fob (either fob) at that point, requiring the manual key.

Seems like a process step in the software may not have considered these conditions? Or it was purposeful for some situation I cannot determine.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Oh i will need to try this!
I do know this from my 2014 MDX:
I stop for coffee with the family at night, they stay in the car and i leave it running. I exit the car with the key-fob in my pocket, and my wife locks the car from the inside (power lock button on the door). When i come back and try to unlock-open the door, it will not unlock although i have the key-fob in my pocket. My wife needs to unlock the doors from the inside......
Hmmmm same thing happened to you, but nobody inside to unlock the door.....
Very interesting!
Old 01-31-2016, 06:52 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Sounds like Tampa may have hit a software bug by doing an unusual series of steps that the car is misinterpreting. Should be reported to Acura in any case (so long as it is repeatable).