Calling all 2.0 owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Calling all 2.0 owners

I had a conversation today with Hondata which was not only unproductive but slightly demeaning. That being said, has anyone found any solutions for ECM mapping? I plan to find out the difference in the R9A/R9B modules and from there can see if anything on the market can be recycled, but mean time if someone can better explain to me the HOW Hondata interfaces (to me it seems like a GUI that interprets the Hexadecimal inputs but I am sorely wrong according to them)

If anyone can give background info as my experience is with Bosch ECM's it would be great. With the shear number of cars made with the r20a I think people would utilize it, AND I believe in the R20A for moderate power.

Nobody wants to provide a solution, so its time to figure it the F out.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:21 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Good luck to you, sincerely!
should throw up your progress on youtube or something! would be pretty cool to see and watch you figure this the F out..
I'm watching Tavarish fix his cheapest turbo Lambo with harbor freight tools...kinda cool to watch him figure out the tuning
Old 06-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

I spoke with Honda/Acura/Keihin/Hondata/Ktuner in the past 24 hours.

KTuner has agreed to sell me a unit for dataloging, and then work on supporting the full suite. Good group over there, even gave me a little kick back for being willing to guinea pig.

The R20 can make power, the SOHC only limits the range of power not potential (variable timing becomes impossible). A good cam gear and proper grind will make a mid-powerband turbo roll coal. The NEXT problem is a LSD solution......
The following users liked this post:
KSeriesTuner (07-02-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

Update:

looked into the cam and vtec process on the r series a bit more. Anyone here familiar with boost knows high lift low duration (simplified). The vtec design is supposed to provide drivability but produce top end via pin mechanisms locking the rocker on the intake side to the “vtec” lobe, breathing better. This is Perfect for a turbo cam, because drivability does not have to be sacrificed with a BT (minus injector idle issues but we won’t go there)

on the R series, instead of the “vtec” lobe being optimized for power, it minimizes pumping losses by leaving the intake valve open much past bdc “efficiency motor” why this is fabulous is...

1) cam regains to shorten duration will be no issue

2) recycling current cam will work, and be preferable with an adjustable cam gear to push band out 500-800 rpm

3) with springs/retainers and rod bolts I want to bet 7500 ignition cut 7800 fuel will be no issue all day, and have a flat torque curve all the way up

ive found most of the solutions for the build, including going to the Acura dealer and verifying the 2.0 and 2.4 suspension is the exact same part number, so I have coils now.

i found a torque converter but still working on reinforcing the r9da trans and getting some sort of limited slip

Any other info is appreciated. (This is simplified from the hours of research when I should have been working this week)

Old 07-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by fasterd
Nobody wants to provide a solution, so its time to figure it the F out.
Glad you gave us a shout and figured out that wasn't the case! Let me know when you're ready!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Speak of the devil...

so ive been doing research regarding my auto trans situation...

i need to either find a way to fool the ecu out of looking for shift points, work with you guys at K tuner to gain access to that part of the module, or fortify auto with custom friction plates, an optimized torque converter, and one SERIOUS cooler. I believe I can make an R18A manual work regarding mounts if I can bypass ecu controls (I smoke a lot of weed, so no promises but I’ve been known to be quite clever when not passed out 🤙&#127995

@ K tuner what is the backlog regarding breaking my ECU? I will be looking to purchase in the next month or so....

@ forum: anyone have an R18A head laying around (or work for Honda?) I need to know about valve springs, retainers, and would really like to look at some other specs (already verified valves are different diameter in the shaft)

Last edited by fasterd; 07-02-2018 at 07:27 PM.