2016 ILX Down Pipe - Will This Work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 ILX Down Pipe - Will This Work?

Just noticed CARiD is listing their Blackworks Racing Down Pipe as a "Fit" for the 2016 and 2017 ILX.

As a matter of fact, they also list the 2013,2014 and 2015 models as well.

Would this part be interchangeable with all years?

https://www.carid.com/blackworks-racing/downpipe-with-3-v-band-mpn-bwfi-dp-keg-3v.html?singleid=59305063&url=79293052

Last edited by iRaw; 06-22-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
I've heard of quite a few fitment issues with parts ordered from CARiD, and I also spoke to BWR a little while ago about downpipes, they had mentioned they were going to discontinue them because there were too many options, and they had a lot of trouble with people ordering parts that didn't fit.

It might have the proper flange for the turbo and that's why it's listed as fitting, but last thing I knew BWR didn't have an application specific down pipe for the ILX. I went to check their site just now, but I keep getting an error when I load the page like it's been taken down - and their phone number isn't valid anymore.

If you're feeling lucky you could purchase it and see where you end up. Might have to cut and re-weld, or it might actually fit; but I honestly don't think it will. Hopefully someone has some first hand experience!

Good luck & happy modding

Last edited by ExcelerateRep; 06-22-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by iRaw
Just noticed CARiD is listing their Blackworks Racing Down Pipe as a "Fit" for the 2016 and 2017 ILX.

As a matter of fact, they also list the 2013,2014 and 2015 models as well.

Would this part be interchangeable with all years?

https://www.carid.com/blackworks-racing/downpipe-with-3-v-band-mpn-bwfi-dp-keg-3v.html?singleid=59305063&url=79293052

I don't know if this will work for you vehicle however, the engines are similar with the main difference being that generation 2 has direct injection (well comparing 2.4L model versions). I think there is an RV6 downpipe available for your vehicle (I believe some people on the forms have tried it) and it appears to be of better build quality, this is what I have on my vehicle and I had installed it myself (2013 ILX 2.4 L Dynamic). However I would double check with them first.

https://www.rv6-p.com/ilx/
Old 06-23-2017, 01:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I would not purchase anything from CarID. They are your typical drop shipping company so chances are they know zero about the parts they sell. If they sell you a part that wont fit it is a huge headache because you will then have to bounce back and forth between their company and Blackworks. Blackworks will be pissed they advertised wrong. CarID will be pissed they are idiots. In the end you are the only one that will lose.

Went through exactly that when I bought my ISC coilovers from XLR8 (cough cough the people right above Chrifff's post). Basically XLR8 being the shipping company had zero idea the part wouldnt fit. So when they sold it to me saying it would but it didnt I was obviously annoyed. When I tried to get a refund they denied it. IMO that is flat out false advertisement and though XLR8 was lame enough to offer me a simple discount in store I will never forget that. They sold me a product that was not what they described then when I asked for a refund they denied me. Bunch of fucking assholes. Okay I change my mind CarID isnt the worst XLR8 is. Fuck them.

XLR8 in an attempt to made good was stupid enough to tell me to just drill out some of the holes to make $1000 coilovers fit. ISC came back and said "NOOOO DONT DO THAT!!" XLR8 is a bunch of fucking idiots and assholes. Dont buy anything from them if you like parts that fit and work correctly.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Alright now that that is out of the way lets talk about the downpipe. Or more what will and will not fit in all the ILXs there are.

2013-2015 K24

2013-2015 R20

2016-17 K24

Notice how in the early K24 the engine has the intake manifold upfront. This means the exhaust manifold is in the back. The downpipe in the early K24 leave the engines, drops down, then runs the length of the car.

In the R20 the engine is flipped. You see the exhaust manifold in the front and the intake manifold is in the back this time. This means the exhaust downpipe leaves the engine but first has to go under the engine before running the length of the car.

In the new K24 the engine sits similar to the R20. The intake mani sits upfront and the exhaust mani sits behind the engine. If you look at where the intake attached to the engine in each pic you can see where the intake manifold is.

Meaning while it is possible an intake for the R20 could fit the 2016 K24 there is no way an early K24 downpipe will have enough tubing to reach the 2016 K24. Though I am sure any exhaust shop could close up that maybe foot of open space.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by usdmJON
I would not purchase anything from CarID. They are your typical drop shipping company so chances are they know zero about the parts they sell. If they sell you a part that wont fit it is a huge headache because you will then have to bounce back and forth between their company and Blackworks. Blackworks will be pissed they advertised wrong. CarID will be pissed they are idiots. In the end you are the only one that will lose.

Went through exactly that when I bought my ISC coilovers from XLR8 (cough cough the people right above Chrifff's post). Basically XLR8 being the shipping company had zero idea the part wouldnt fit. So when they sold it to me saying it would but it didnt I was obviously annoyed. When I tried to get a refund they denied it. IMO that is flat out false advertisement and though XLR8 was lame enough to offer me a simple discount in store I will never forget that. They sold me a product that was not what they described then when I asked for a refund they denied me. Bunch of fucking assholes. Okay I change my mind CarID isnt the worst XLR8 is. Fuck them.

XLR8 in an attempt to made good was stupid enough to tell me to just drill out some of the holes to make $1000 coilovers fit. ISC came back and said "NOOOO DONT DO THAT!!" XLR8 is a bunch of fucking idiots and assholes. Dont buy anything from them if you like parts that fit and work correctly.
I have the feeling that XLR8 is just a company that creeps on the forums for customers. But was not sure what the experience using them was like, good thing there are people on the forum like Jon. Honestly IRaw you are at the right place by checking the forums with people that have tried it. But be careful of the cheaper distributors. That downpipe from Carid looks cheaply made, but don't take my word alone and see if anyone has tried it and liked it.

This is what I used and install was not that difficult on the 2013.

I did need to buy a special tool:

Needed to remove the oxygen sensor - Got it at Lordco (Starbucks coffee not included)
Old 06-23-2017, 01:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Alright now that that is out of the way lets talk about the downpipe. Or more what will and will not fit in all the ILXs there are.

2013-2015 K24

2013-2015 R20

2016-17 K24

Notice how in the early K24 the engine has the intake manifold upfront. This means the exhaust manifold is in the back. The downpipe in the early K24 leave the engines, drops down, then runs the length of the car.

In the R20 the engine is flipped. You see the exhaust manifold in the front and the intake manifold is in the back this time. This means the exhaust downpipe leaves the engine but first has to go under the engine before running the length of the car.

In the new K24 the engine sits similar to the R20. The intake mani sits upfront and the exhaust mani sits behind the engine. If you look at where the intake attached to the engine in each pic you can see where the intake manifold is.

Meaning while it is possible an intake for the R20 could fit the 2016 K24 there is no way an early K24 downpipe will have enough tubing to reach the 2016 K24. Though I am sure any exhaust shop could close up that maybe foot of open space.
Jon is right, now that I recall, the engine is flipped (thanks for the pics). It would make sense that the mouth of the downpipe on the 2.4L engine from the 1st gen would fit the 2nd gen, however the length of the piping would have to be longer. IRaw make sure the downpipe is longer to fit. The install might be easier from the front opposed to the back of the engine like mine was as it appears you would have more space.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:58 AM
Suzuka Master

There were a lot of people that spoke up in favor of XLR8 when I gave my story. So clearly a lot of people have good stories purchasing through them.

But from my experience and through my time working in service retail and selling guns I know when an refund is due. If you sell someone a product that does not work as described or if it does not fit as described you dont tell them how to make it fit (which would void the warranty). You refund them. Maybe they turn around and use the money to buy something else from you. Maybe they dont. In the end you made a customer happy and they will walk away with a good chance of returning. My situation left me not only never wanting to do business with them again but left such a sour taste that I will probably forever say bad things about them.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So as noticing that the new k24 in the ilx like mine is flipped intake and exhaust. is there civic si aftermarket/performance parts other than exhaust that work for ours to add some performance. also everyone says the ilx used the engine from the si but If the engine is flipped as shown it has to have some differences? anyways. can we use the aftermarket world for the k24 si engines that the new ilx engines are "based" on or no?
Old 09-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will a 06-11 Civic R18 DC Sports header fit on a 2013 ILX 2.0?
Old 09-09-2017, 02:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 206 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by davidlstewart
So as noticing that the new k24 in the ilx like mine is flipped intake and exhaust. is there civic si aftermarket/performance parts other than exhaust that work for ours to add some performance. also everyone says the ilx used the engine from the si but If the engine is flipped as shown it has to have some differences? anyways. can we use the aftermarket world for the k24 si engines that the new ilx engines are "based" on or no?
Top end all different. The DI head changed everything.