2014 ILX 2.4 Mods Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the responses and support!

Future plans (no specific order):
i-VTEC DOHC stickers (on the way)
3K HID fogs (arrived; not installed yet)
Better low beam HIDs (Osrams?)
Trunklid spoiler (OEM)
WeatherTech window visors
WeatherTech floor mats
5% Tint for the rears and 30-50% in the front
Swap interior lights to LEDs (Any suggestions?)
Paint grille black
Bags or Coilovers (decisions, decisions...)
Hoping to find some 17" HFP rims or 18" Enkei RPF1s

Possible performance plans:
Not necessarily going for power gains, just for better response, sound, etc.*
CAI or SRI (Injen, Takeda, etc)
A nice sounding cat back (Suggestions? Not too loud, nice aggressive deep tone)
No plans for Headers, Turbos, SCs, etc.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 205 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
My first two lips were the 05 STI lip so I know that will fit nearly exactly the same. Yours will be even easier since you already have a hole in the dead center of the lip.

Just use a screw to drill that lip directly into the bumper and follow the DIY I made. Any questions just ask.

Daill1 Id love to see a pic of your STI lip and how you got it to fit without cutting any of it off.
Don't want to walk all over K24_Rob thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-pho.../#post16050210
Old 07-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DaIll1
Don't want to walk all over K24_Rob thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-pho.../#post16050210
Haha, it's all good! It's an open thread, post what you like. But sweet ride, whats your next plans?
Old 07-06-2017, 10:54 AM
10th Gear

[QUOTE=Chrifff;16049886]The RBC Intake manifold was not super difficult however you will need to purchase a kit to make it fit (to make the seals and the injectors fit), the work will take you 3-6 hours depending on your skill level and tools. You also need to route one of the air lines with a "T" fitting to ensure the brake assist works. I have some pictures of how mine looks in "My 2013 Build". However there are some pretty good how to links in the civic forums. You will probably not want to do this mod unless you get the Hondata Flashpro tool, as the mod will run a little different (probably a little rich) without proper tuning.

People go back and forth about the mod and it is definitely a matter of opinion with regard to performance gains/trade off along the power band. Without a doubt it looks better and sounds better.

thanks for the input!
Old 07-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Cruisin'

Painted my front grille to add a whopping 5HP!! 😂
I also swapped my fog lights to 3K HIDs, however, I am experiencing some slight flickering/bouncing. Don't judge me on this, but I ordered 3K Morimoto bulbs ONLY by mistake. I should've Did more research and purchased a whole kit but I had a set of 35W Xentec ballasts (Yes, I know they're cheap but they worked flawlessly on my past cars (Integra, Civic)).
I ordered a relay and set of capacitors to see if they'll solve the problem.

Question, what do you guys prefer, Springs or Coilovers? I also saw a airbag kit selling on Andys Auto Sports for ~1K (Accuair).
I had ground controls with Eibach springs on my integra before and felt the ride was tolerable. But I am debating between brands and styles. Any experiences/preferences?
Old 07-09-2017, 06:03 AM
'15 ILX CBP 2.4

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Whats up bro, welcome to back to the k24 club. If youre on a budget go H&R springs for that optimal daily drive and low look .. Been at it for about 3 years alot of people cant tell Im using them when they ride. As the driver, definitely in an improve in handling and I have like a one finger wheel gap, but you will scrape with that sti lip on the front. Since youve experienced eibach springs before you can throw them on as well but they are the most drop youre going to get besides d2 springs. At the end of the day coilovers are the best if you have the funds for it and dont mind the stiffer springs comfort etc. Personally I am used to stiff suspension with feeling everything on the road and slight bumps so It doesnt matter to me since I am the only one driving. Some reason new cars and coilovers does wonder than much older cars. Godspeed coilovers or MeganEz are pretty good for manageable daily driving and some street wear. Ive experienced both of them, both similar.

If you want to read more about the best suspension options head over here,

2012+ Honda Civic Suspension Options With Product Info & Links | 9th Generation Honda Civic Forum

btw op, where you located SoCal?
Old 07-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mvidal6
Whats up bro, welcome to back to the k24 club. If youre on a budget go H&R springs for that optimal daily drive and low look .. Been at it for about 3 years alot of people cant tell Im using them when they ride. As the driver, definitely in an improve in handling and I have like a one finger wheel gap, but you will scrape with that sti lip on the front. Since youve experienced eibach springs before you can throw them on as well but they are the most drop youre going to get besides d2 springs. At the end of the day coilovers are the best if you have the funds for it and dont mind the stiffer springs comfort etc. Personally I am used to stiff suspension with feeling everything on the road and slight bumps so It doesnt matter to me since I am the only one driving. Some reason new cars and coilovers does wonder than much older cars. Godspeed coilovers or MeganEz are pretty good for manageable daily driving and some street wear. Ive experienced both of them, both similar.

If you want to read more about the best suspension options head over here,

2012+ Honda Civic Suspension Options With Product Info & Links 9th Generation Honda Civic Forum

btw op, where you located SoCal?
what's Up!

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll think about the springs and I've been looking into maybe the Megan EZ Streets or Tein coilovers.

Sadly, the STI lip fell off
It got loose when I pulled out of a steep parking lot. I rescrewed some screws but it got loose from driving on some bumpy roads in sacramento. Eventually, it fell off when I was entering the freeway. I'm not too bummed tho, wasn't satisfied with the install. I'll look into other lip options, if any. And if I will scrape with it on if I lower the car, then I may not need a lip at all haha.

But I'm in the NorCal area. sacramento/Elk Grove. You're in socal?
Old 07-10-2017, 07:12 PM
'15 ILX CBP 2.4

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Ohh I see thats dope my family is at Elk Grove !

Yeah LA County,

For the lip it actually works better using self tapping screws with doublesided 3m tape if you plan on getting again..

Im actually going to try this different STI lip since everyone here is rocking the same one..
Old 07-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by K24_Bob
what's Up!

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll think about the springs and I've been looking into maybe the Megan EZ Streets or Tein coilovers.

Sadly, the STI lip fell off
It got loose when I pulled out of a steep parking lot. I rescrewed some screws but it got loose from driving on some bumpy roads in sacramento. Eventually, it fell off when I was entering the freeway. I'm not too bummed tho, wasn't satisfied with the install. I'll look into other lip options, if any. And if I will scrape with it on if I lower the car, then I may not need a lip at all haha.

But I'm in the NorCal area. sacramento/Elk Grove. You're in socal?
Dammmnnn Bob, that sucks! Sorry to hear that. I had picked one up as well, it just came in and is sitting in my garage. Now you got me a bit concerned I have mine lowered about an inch as well, and notice I get pretty close to bottoming out - I definitely hit the front grey/black flaps underneath on occasion.

I am not sure what the first generation ILX in white will look with the splitter but I'm sure I will find out soon enough (seen it in black, dark metallic grey, and the 2nd gen in white). If it wreaks, then oh well I probably won't replace it.

I also ordered the Honda SI rear sway bar from a Honda parts dealer ( Hondapartsnow.com)who initially quoted me $16 USD for shipping to a US address, however just sent me an email saying they miss quoted and now want to charge an additional $86 USD - Now that sucks ballz. Told them to suck it up or refund me. That almost doubles my price.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mvidal6
Ohh I see thats dope my family is at Elk Grove !

Yeah LA County,

For the lip it actually works better using self tapping screws with doublesided 3m tape if you plan on getting again..

Im actually going to try this different STI lip since everyone here is rocking the same one..
Cool! Been living in Elk Grove most my life haha.

Yeah, the lip falling off was totally my fault. I was supposed to put 3M tape on it as well. As a matter of fact, I bought a extra set of screws and 3M tape earlier in the same day my lip fell off lol. It's okay though, as I said, I kinda rushed the install.

that looks nice. What year/style lip is that? When you do try that lip, post some pics!
Old 07-11-2017, 12:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Chrifff
Dammmnnn Bob, that sucks! Sorry to hear that. I had picked one up as well, it just came in and is sitting in my garage. Now you got me a bit concerned I have mine lowered about an inch as well, and notice I get pretty close to bottoming out - I definitely hit the front grey/black flaps underneath on occasion.

I am not sure what the first generation ILX in white will look with the splitter but I'm sure I will find out soon enough (seen it in black, dark metallic grey, and the 2nd gen in white). If it wreaks, then oh well I probably won't replace it.

I also ordered the Honda SI rear sway bar from a Honda parts dealer ( Hondapartsnow.com)who initially quoted me $16 USD for shipping to a US address, however just sent me an email saying they miss quoted and now want to charge an additional $86 USD - Now that sucks ballz. Told them to suck it up or refund me. That almost doubles my price.
Yeah man, I heard it rubbing as I was entering the freeway and in my head I'm just like man, this lip is bout to fall off. Seconds later, thud thud. I see it on the floor as I drive away haha.

Dont worry, I think you'll be fine as long as you watch out for steeper parking lot entrances and driveways as well. As Vidal said, 3M tape banded with the right screws will hold it well. It was my fault for a rushed install. If I order another lip, I'll make sure to place 3M tape on it and possible drill some extra holes to screw in for reinforced holding.

Aw dude, tell them a quote is a quote haha. Hopefully all works well.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:25 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Painted my front grille to add a whopping 5HP!! 😂
I also swapped my fog lights to 3K HIDs, however, I am experiencing some slight flickering/bouncing. Don't judge me on this, but I ordered 3K Morimoto bulbs ONLY by mistake. I should've Did more research and purchased a whole kit but I had a set of 35W Xentec ballasts (Yes, I know they're cheap but they worked flawlessly on my past cars (Integra, Civic)).
I ordered a relay and set of capacitors to see if they'll solve the problem.

Question, what do you guys prefer, Springs or Coilovers? I also saw a airbag kit selling on Andys Auto Sports for ~1K (Accuair).
I had ground controls with Eibach springs on my integra before and felt the ride was tolerable. But I am debating between brands and styles. Any experiences/preferences?
I'm currently running H&R springs on stock shocks. They've held up well for the past 70,000 miles. I also updated the rear sway to an 2014 Civic Si 18mm. Our stock sway bar is only 14mm. It handles a lot better and you will never rub your tires, even with 25mm wheel spacers.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Triscuit
I'm currently running H&R springs on stock shocks. They've held up well for the past 70,000 miles. I also updated the rear sway to an 2014 Civic Si 18mm. Our stock sway bar is only 14mm. It handles a lot better and you will never rub your tires, even with 25mm wheel spacers.
Nice, how was the install for the rear sway bar?
Old 11-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Cruisin'

Here’s an update to date on what I’ve done. I haven’t done much, more of just looks but now I’m looking to some performance upgrades.

Added:
- WeatherTech visors
- Yellow fog covers
- Spoilerking Rear Roof Spoiler (not pictured)
- Added some carbon fiber wrap to the interior

Upgrades in mind:

- Tein Street Advance Z coilovers - found them for less than 600 on ProImportTuners. Haven’t ordered yet.

- Spoilerking duckbill-like trunk spoiler, or possibly OEM.

- Possible CAI, thinking AEM.

- Possible custom quad exhaust setup. Got a quote from a local shop that installation and bumper cutting would be anywhere from 450-600.

- New wheels? Looking for 18” , No specific sets in mind. Any suggestions?
Old 11-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 205 Likes on 173 Posts
Haha, it's all good! It's an open thread, post what you like. But sweet ride, whats your next plans?
Sorry I didn't answer you before about plans, but I see you are thinking dual exhaust thru the bumper. I'm working on exhaust right now. In stock trim, only one side is not covered in plastic. There is a nice crossover point between the spare tire well and the plastic under cladding. I'm wrapping the entire tail pipe section, adding heatshielding, and insulating the tips from the system to keep from melting everything.
I would not take it to a regular muffler shop unless you know them/reputation.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
I just finished installing the Honda Civic SI rear sway bar myself just over a week ago. The install is one of the easier ones, depending on your tools and how much you change. The sway bar upgrade is also pretty cheap and I would agree, you can feet a difference in the vehicle handling.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Relatively easy. Jack up the front lower that rear diffuser tray and remove/replace. With more miles the end links may be harder to remove.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
- Tein Street Advance Z coilovers - found them for less than 600 on ProImportTuners. Haven’t ordered yet.
I wonder why these are so cheap? Tein is a great company. .