2013 Acura ILX rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Acura ILX rear bumper

I have a 2013 Acura ILX but really like the rear bumper of the 2016 a-spec ILX. Would the 2016 a-spec bumper fit on the 2013? If not, any suggestions of where to find a better looking rear bumper?
Old 05-25-2017, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
Wiki says "facelift" so I imagine with any supporting mods, it should fit.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
2016 rear bumper should fit no issues since the tails look to be the exact same shape and they didnt change the trunk or quarter panels any.

But the front isnt that easy. The grill, bumper, and headlights are all different so you would have to replace all of them to get them to fit.

^the above info is not regarding electronics. Im sure rear bumper is fine as there are no electronics but the front may need new plugs for the new headlights which would require new harnesses IF they did change them.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
I agree with usdmJon. I have a 2013 and removed my front bumper a couple times (works pretty much the same as my old 2008 Honda Civic SI) and replaced the rear tail lights with 2016-2017. I believe it should work for you without any real issues, or modifications. In fact most of the external body style is pretty much the same.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:57 PM
4th Gear

Has anyone found out if the front needs the respective radiator support or all you need is the fenders, hood, grill, headlights, harness, and bumper and it bolts on?
Old 04-01-2019, 04:58 PM
4th Gear

Did the second gen tail light harness plug and play into your first gen?
Old 04-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eupherein
Did the second gen tail light harness plug and play into your first gen?
The side taillights are plug and play with no modifications. Just pop off the clips in the truck to reveal two screws. Pull out the taillight assembly, then twist and unplug the harness which I believe just fits into the newer taillights.

The problem is the middle two trunk pieces.... In the 2013-2015 version there is only the reverse light, however the 2016+ model years have the LED light. To make this work you will need to remove the trunk taillights (best to go your local Acura for instruction print out like I did), this is a bit of a pain:
- Remove the inner trunk liner
- Remove the screws (3 or 6 each?)
- "Carefully" pull up the portion of the trunk lid that supports the taillights (there is adhesive that if you are not careful you will need to replace - I did not have to replace it and had no leaks).
- Removed the old taillight and insert the new one
- Run a separate wire and splice it from the rear license plate lights = This will turn on the center LED lights at night.
Done!

I am sorry I may be slightly off on my description above, and I did intend to actually post a "How To Replace the Rear Taillights Thread" however I ended up selling my ILX about a year ago and unfortunately am no longer an Acura owner and switched to a different "A" company (I may come back if Acura makes a Type S with a manual!?!?).

The rear taillight swap is a great modification and looks amazing = Totally makes the vehicle look more modern, I have not seen another one done in my area!

*** If you are at all curious my modifications are in my previous Thread: "MY 2013 BUILD".
Old 04-04-2019, 05:25 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Chrifff
The side taillights are plug and play with no modifications. Just pop off the clips in the truck to reveal two screws. Pull out the taillight assembly, then twist and unplug the harness which I believe just fits into the newer taillights.

The problem is the middle two trunk pieces.... In the 2013-2015 version there is only the reverse light, however the 2016+ model years have the LED light. To make this work you will need to remove the trunk taillights (best to go your local Acura for instruction print out like I did), this is a bit of a pain:
- Remove the inner trunk liner
- Remove the screws (3 or 6 each?)
- "Carefully" pull up the portion of the trunk lid that supports the taillights (there is adhesive that if you are not careful you will need to replace - I did not have to replace it and had no leaks).
- Removed the old taillight and insert the new one
- Run a separate wire and splice it from the rear license plate lights = This will turn on the center LED lights at night.
Done!

I am sorry I may be slightly off on my description above, and I did intend to actually post a "How To Replace the Rear Taillights Thread" however I ended up selling my ILX about a year ago and unfortunately am no longer an Acura owner and switched to a different "A" company (I may come back if Acura makes a Type S with a manual!?!?).

The rear taillight swap is a great modification and looks amazing = Totally makes the vehicle look more modern, I have not seen another one done in my area!

*** If you are at all curious my modifications are in my previous Thread: "MY 2013 BUILD".
so you don’t need the wire harness from the second gen? Just a splice and the LED tails work? Also, all four pieces are LED right? Just that the outer are plug and play, inner are splice and play?
Old 04-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Instructor

The rear taillights have 2 LED brake lights per side and a long thin LED that runs as a night driving light on the taillights and the trunk lights.

When I received my replacement 2017 taillight assembly they came with the connectors which fit in with 2013 (after you remove the plastic bulb connector portion).

You only need some additional wire and a connection (small female connectors) that can splice into the license plate bulbs to run the middle/truck lid LED's
Old 04-04-2019, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chrifff
The rear taillights have 2 LED brake lights per side and a long thin LED that runs as a night driving light on the taillights and the trunk lights.

When I received my replacement 2017 taillight assembly they came with the connectors which fit in with 2013 (after you remove the plastic bulb connector portion).

You only need some additional wire and a connection (small female connectors) that can splice into the license plate bulbs to run the middle/truck lid LED's
I was going to add some pictures here to help you out, but then realized this is the wrong post/thread (this is thread is for bumpers not taillights) for it and so I ended up doing a How To thread....

Check out the below named thread:

2013-2015 Rear taillight conversion