TLX 2016 dashboard rattle noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TLX 2016 dashboard rattle noise

I read several posts about the 2015 Acura TLX making dashboard rattles, however, I haven’t heard of it with the 2016 + SH AWD. I just got it almost a week ago at 8,777 miles pre-owned from Acura of Fremont. I’m noticing the dashboard is starting to rattle over rough terrain with noise coming from all over the cockpit. I took it to Acura today and they didn’t hear it as it was a bit warmer today. The noise is driving me nuts. I recorded it, but the techs say they need to hear it before they can diagnose. Tonight I took a drive and it started to rattle even more now that it’s a bit cold out. I tried taking my glasses out the glasses case and that didn’t solve the problem. Lost at this point.

Any advice from anyone?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2017, 11:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I work around Fremont and there are some pretty bumpy roads in the area. I had a rattle that was coming from the overhead by the moonroof and they managed to fix it. I brought mine into Acura of Stevens Creek though, as the people at Fremont for some reason didn't want to ride with me to diagnose.

The tech had put in some foam or something, I forget, but it stopped my rattles. You gotta remember though that our cars are kept together by clips, cheap clips, and they'll rattle every now and then. Just have to apply some filler into the various gaps and hope that remedies it.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:42 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Our does something like that too when it is cold, seems to be the glove compartment -- of course I have a couple items loose in there like a tire guage etc. so it might be that.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
Our does something like that too when it is cold, seems to be the glove compartment -- of course I have a couple items loose in there like a tire guage etc. so it might be that.
I confirmed it is in the roof liner right near the visor. If I press and hold the visor or the roof liner right in front of it, the rattle stops. Will have to get this fixed (fortunately I have a great dealership with excellent service dept.).
Old 02-26-2018, 09:29 PM
9th Gear

Got 2018 TLX SH-AWD 3 weeks ago, 340 miles, after couple of days a rattling sound, similar to chattering of teeth when shivering coming from middle of steering wheel, it stops by placing a hand on the horn or in the crevice surrounding the horn between it and the rest of the steering wheel (also goes away when I turn the music up loud , worst when driving at highway speeds or on roads which are not the smoothest, I can feel significant vibrations in the crack surrounding the horn and feels like the horn is loose and banging against the surrounding steering wheel causing the rattling.
The rattling/vibrating sound is very annoying, taking it to the dealership this week.
Anyone else have similar experience or solutions?
Old 09-16-2018, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Acuramen
Got 2018 TLX SH-AWD 3 weeks ago, 340 miles, after couple of days a rattling sound, similar to chattering of teeth when shivering coming from middle of steering wheel, it stops by placing a hand on the horn or in the crevice surrounding the horn between it and the rest of the steering wheel (also goes away when I turn the music up loud , worst when driving at highway speeds or on roads which are not the smoothest, I can feel significant vibrations in the crack surrounding the horn and feels like the horn is loose and banging against the surrounding steering wheel causing the rattling.
The rattling/vibrating sound is very annoying, taking it to the dealership this week.
Anyone else have similar experience or solutions?
I just came across this thread and I was wondering if the dealership was able to fix the problem. I just picked up a 2015 TLX and I have the same rattle issue that stops when you hold the horn.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:35 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by NSaneXr
I just came across this thread and I was wondering if the dealership was able to fix the problem. I just picked up a 2015 TLX and I have the same rattle issue that stops when you hold the horn.

Thanks.
My 16' has a rattle coming from the horn cover also. I am due for an oil change soon so Ill have the dealer look at it. In the mean time I shoved a small block of felt in between the horn cover and the rest of the wheel to keep it quiet.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:19 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by NSaneXr

Thanks.
Yes, they fixed it, there was a wire or cable rubbing against the airbag under the horn on steering wheel, they rerouted the cable and rattling disappeared. Good luck to you, it might the same problem in which case they should be able to fix it, didn't take them long, about 1-2 hours as I recall
Old 09-21-2018, 04:25 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Acuramen
Yes, they fixed it, there was a wire or cable rubbing against the airbag under the horn on steering wheel, they rerouted the cable and rattling disappeared. Good luck to you, it might the same problem in which case they should be able to fix it, didn't take them long, about 1-2 hours as I recall
Thanks for the update. I'll see if they will fix it as I think my warranty just expired.