Reset All Learned Throttle and Transmission Settings to Factory

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reset All Learned Throttle and Transmission Settings to Factory

Hello,

I would like to completely erase all systems and start fresh with my car. Any help would be appreciated as Acura/Honda hasn't been very helpful in isolating the issue, and I've come to believe that it's all software at this point. I asked the dealer how to reset all systems in the car, and the only thing they suggested was an Idle re-learn process, and as I understand it there's more to the behavioral learning systems of these cars than that. Any thoughts, tips/tricks/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Vehicle Background: 2016 TLX Base (I4 8spd DCT) purchased late March 2016.
Service History: The vehicle has been in for warranty service 5-6 times for the issues below (including a rep from American Honda driving it) and they say the car is acting 'within spec' and can't repeat my issues. They performed a software update and enabled clutch break-in reset.
Comparisons Made: I had a brand new loaner that was a 2016 TLX Tech (I4 8spd DCT) in late June, and didn't experience the problems below.
Problem 1: The transmission sometimes feels clunky
• I hear plates shifting when going from 30-40, then to a stop, as well as decelerating slowly to a stop. Since dealer did a software update and clutch break-in reset (I drove 50 miles under various conditions on normal mode), it's gotten a little better, but not by much.
Problem 2: The throttle isn't very responsive.
• Even with gas mostly/fully depressed all the way, the transmission will hunt gears (downshift) until the one delivering the corresponding power output is found. Example: At 50 miles in 8th gear, I can press the gas all the way, and it will shift to 7th, then to 6th, then finally end up at 5th (note that actual speeds & relations to gears are just for example purposes). In the loaner I drove, the most it would hunt through is a single gear in the scenario I outline.
• I've also experienced cases where I press the gas halfway and nothing happens for .5 - 1 second (and this is VERY dangerous IMO).
Logic Behind Question: I drove the car for the first 1,200 miles in Econ mode, and believe it learned much of its behavior from that driving style.
Question: How would I reset all computers to factory (and hopefully erase any learned shift point and throttle settings).
Old 07-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Does it behave like that in Sport and Sport+? I don't know how to reset the PCM, but it should learn your new style over a little more time. The clunky thing is something other than style. Maybe the lockup clutch on the torque converter is having some kind of issue. Until you can reproduce the problem with the mechanic there, they can't help you (which kind of sucks but look at it from that perspective).

Problem 2 you describe is PCM programming. This should be easy to demonstrate that it takes a long time to figure out when to downshift.

So basically, get them to reset your PCM (powertrain control module) if they'll do it. Otherwise try driving aggressively in Sport mode a lot. I have the 9-speed and I drive in Sport all the time, fairly heavy on the throttle and it seems to have learned when I like to downshift.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks, youngTL. Sport and Sport+ are laggy as well (compared to the newer one I had as a loaner), just little less laggy in Normal mode. I've been driving more and more in Sport and Sport+, but it doesn't seem to be 'learning'... I drove my car with the dealership GM and he saw the issue as well, but their techs said it was normal and couldn't 'reproduce the issue'.
I also drove with GM in a different car (I4 8 spd DCT) that wasn't the loaner I refered to in the post, and it demonstrated throttle response between the brand new loaner I had, and my car.
Nobody has brought up the idea of a complete reset except me, until now.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Problem 2 i believe is nomal. If your in 8th or 9th like you said, to accelerate (even medal to the medal) it has to take a moment (usually like 1.5-2 seconds) to get to the right gear like 4th or whatever so its a lag. You get used to it and learn to plan ahead
Old 07-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Check the 3rd Gen forums for ECU reset instructions. Could be the same method across generations? I do this on my 07 from time to time for problem #2 above (guess they've had this issue for a while!) and it works well. Sometimes holds the setting for months, other times only a few weeks.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
so how exactly do we do this?Do the PCM idle learn procedure: · Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio unit, rear window defogger, lights, etc.) are turned off. · Start the engine and let it reach operating temperature (the cooling fans cycle twice). · Let the engine idle for 10 minutes with the throttle fully closed. · Turn the ignition to OFF. · Jump the SCS line with the HDS. · Wait 60 seconds, then exit the SCS mode.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM
3rd Gear

I have a 2018 tlx sh-awd a-spec that i recently bought certified used with 10k miles on it. I called our dealer and spoke to a tech who stated that:
1) PCM relearn is not the only thing they need to do to force a transmission learn reset - they need to do stuff with the computer using their tools as well.
2) They do not routinely do this reset as a part of delivery prep for a certified used vehicle.
I think that it does not downshift fast enough for my liking on the highway so I am going to have them do the reset
Dennis