Battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery problems

Driving short distances seems to be causing problems with my 2015 Acura TLX to recharge sufficiently to avoid losing the ability to start the engine after stopping.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Ummm, what? Can you please rephrase?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluestone
Driving short distances seems to be causing problems with my 2015 Acura TLX to recharge sufficiently to avoid losing the ability to start the engine after stopping.
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Ummm, what? Can you please rephrase?
It only takes a very little effort to make sense of what he posted so try a little harder before you disparage someone unnecessarily.

I dont really think a translation is necessary but if it is: Short distances don't allow my battery to recharge enough to start my engine after stopping.

I'll leave the technical stuff to those guys who know more than I do and probably would have replied if you hadn't beaten them to it.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron A
It only takes a very little effort to make sense of what he posted so try a little harder before you disparage someone unnecessarily.

I dont really think a translation is necessary but if it is: Short distances don't allow my battery to recharge enough to start my engine after stopping.

I'll leave the technical stuff to those guys who know more than I do and probably would have replied if you hadn't beaten them to it.
So in the end not a problem, drive longer to charge battery. Long highway driving is the best.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:00 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
If it's still the original battery, consider changing it, as it's already been about 4 years. What version of the TLX do you drive? FWD 4 Cyl, FWD 6 Cyl or AWD? Each has a different type of battery. Other option is to buy a battery charger and use it about once a week to charge your battery.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Ron A

No intent to disparage the OP, and for the record, your translation is only one of the options I could come up with. I still think we need a better description of what is going on so we accurately understand the issues.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
More to the point. It could appear that the OP has an SH-AWD with auto idle stop.("the ability to start the engine after stopping") That probably would have been a useful detail. If that is the case, then almost for sure the battery is ready to be replaced. There have been a number of postings of difficulty to restart after AIS. So far as I can remember, they were all resolved by a new battery. I know I personally had the issue. The dealer put the battery on a test stand for about 2 hours and it finally showed a failure. Fortunately for me the battery was replaced under warranty.

Of course, "after stopping" could also mean parking the car leaving, and returning and it won't start. Another good reason for clarification. Unless the trips are really short and there are no longer trips involved it is still the case that the battery probably needs replacing.

So bottom line, no matter what the interpretation, the battery needs replacing.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I remember one other person who had a similar issue with the AWD version and the start/stop -- you'll find the thread in this forum somewhere. If I recall correctly, they replaced the battery and the starts were better. I don't have the AWD version, but have a V6. I started getting starting problems that the dealership couldn't figure out because of course they couldn't duplicate it and the battery "checked out ok" at 2 different dealerships. Even though the battery was just 2 years old or so, I decided to replace the battery on my own dime (decided to get an Interstate battery instead of an Acura/whoever makes their battery -- hell, it could be Interstate). It fixed the starting problems. It's been maybe a year since I replaced it, I think, and I'm starting to have starting issues sporadically or weak starts again.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like you've lost a few cells in your battery. Get it tested, probably doesn't generate enough amps. Buy a new one.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluestone
I recall a thread here or somewhere else of at least one other person having an issue with the car shutting down on idle stop and not restarting. In those cases it seems a battery replacement was the issue. Hopefully it happens while your waiting for your garage to open. Really sucks you can't shut if off as a permanent setting. I try to remember to shut it off when I first start out (along with the anti-collision braking system) but more often then not I forget to shut them off and do it after the car shuts off at a stop sign or the brake warning starts flashing on a two lane road due possibly to the other cars driving lights. Both systems are not great. If I had to choose I would want the braking system to be off by default. I have had the brake warning alert come on at least 60 times in the past 7 months just in normal driving on back roads and one time when the brakes actually kicked in I was close to being rear ended. I shut off the parking sensor as that gave too many false alerts for no real danger. I would pay extra to be able to shut off permanently the auto idle stop and CMS system. Anyway, the car overall drives well and the sh-awd versus the FWD variant are worth the extra steps, really night and day handling wise.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
I recall a thread here or somewhere else of at least one other person having an issue with the car shutting down on idle stop and not restarting. In those cases it seems a battery replacement was the issue.
That was me. Replaced the battery (at my own expense) last summer. Clearly their tests don't accurately capture operational requirements correctly because the battery "checked out fine". But I have not had the problem since. I had always heard Honda batteries suck so I was not surprised that this issue cropped up once I realized what it was.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
That was me. Replaced the battery (at my own expense) last summer. Clearly their tests don't accurately capture operational requirements correctly because the battery "checked out fine". But I have not had the problem since. I had always heard Honda batteries suck so I was not surprised that this issue cropped up once I realized what it was.
Hmmm, I guess somebody forgot to tell that to the Honda 100-Month battery I just replaced in my Accord; that battery lasted 118 months!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
Give it a year or so and see if it starts happening again before you think it's "fixed". Like I said, I replaced my battery on my FWD V6 and it was ok for about a year or so I guess and now the weak starts or failures to start are coming back. It may not be the battery... it could be something draining the battery. The new battery I used was not a "Honda" battery (not sure who makes Honda's batteries for them on these models) -- it was an Interstate.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:39 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Take it to Autozone and have them test it. My non-AGM battery had a shorted cell and I had a similar problem starting my 2WD car in the winter. New battery, no problem. I too drive short distances to work, but I sometimes use a charger to top up the charge.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Give it a year or so and see if it starts happening again before you think it's "fixed". Like I said, I replaced my battery on my FWD V6 and it was ok for about a year or so I guess and now the weak starts or failures to start are coming back. It may not be the battery... it could be something draining the battery. The new battery I used was not a "Honda" battery (not sure who makes Honda's batteries for them on these models) -- it was an Interstate.
Coming up on a year with no problem... You might want to have the dealership check for any parasitic drains, I know the Bluetooth phone module was the source of one, I think there was a TSB for it. Good luck!