All dashboard warning lights on

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
All dashboard warning lights on

I thought I saw a thread about this, but I can't find it. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I started my car today, and all my warning lights came on. It seemed to drive ok, but it was in limp mode (limited to 50 mph), and my steering was off center by about a 1/4 turn to the left.

I made it to my dealer, and he said it might be the battery. After he checked the battery, he did not find a fault. He said he had to keep running the diagnostics until they cleared. At that point, they gave me a loaner. So I'll see how this turns out later.

Anyone else have this problem? 1st of 4 Acuras this has happened to. (Other 3 were rock solid.)
Old 04-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rocket_pup
I thought I saw a thread about this, but I can't find it. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I started my car today, and all my warning lights came on. It seemed to drive ok, but it was in limp mode (limited to 50 mph), and my steering was off center by about a 1/4 turn to the left.

I made it to my dealer, and he said it might be the battery. After he checked the battery, he did not find a fault. He said he had to keep running the diagnostics until they cleared. At that point, they gave me a loaner. So I'll see how this turns out later.

Anyone else have this problem? 1st of 4 Acuras this has happened to. (Other 3 were rock solid.)
So, I called them to see what was going on with my car, and they said they're done. They said they "cleared the codes", drove it, and everything seems fine. This seem highly suspicious to me as nothing was repaired or replaced. They tried to "dumb it down" for me, but I didn't tell the Service Advisor I used to work for AHM.

I guess we'll see if this comes up again, and I'll be highly upset if it does. However, at least that's strike one if I need to bring up the Lemon Law. Dealer's don't like it when you bring this up, but my vehicle is well under 18,xxx miles or 18 months old (in CA).
Old 04-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
So, I called them to see what was going on with my car, and they said they're done. They said they "cleared the codes", drove it, and everything seems fine. This seem highly suspicious to me as nothing was repaired or replaced. They tried to "dumb it down" for me, but I didn't tell the Service Advisor I used to work for AHM.

I guess we'll see if this comes up again, and I'll be highly upset if it does. However, at least that's strike one if I need to bring up the Lemon Law. Dealer's don't like it when you bring this up, but my vehicle is well under 18,xxx miles or 18 months old (in CA).
If it's SH-AWD, could be a wheel speed sensor. When these start to go it causes a cascade of error messages, while not (initially) setting the codes. When the sensor finally goes, then you get the codes. You would think it would just fail but it is apparently a gradual degradation.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
If it's SH-AWD, could be a wheel speed sensor. When these start to go it causes a cascade of error messages, while not (initially) setting the codes. When the sensor finally goes, then you get the codes. You would think it would just fail but it is apparently a gradual degradation.
In my case, my TLX is a V6 FWD.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Something similar to this has happened to me twice. In each case, something different was done, apparently. The thread you were probably looking for is this one (my issues and their resolution are in there) :

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...ailure-931335/

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 04-12-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:22 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Please indicate model year.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EricInMaryland
Please indicate model year.
I have a 2015 TLX V6 TECH FWD. The dealer said I have no outstanding recall campaigns. (I already did the transmission and cross sensor updates.)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I would bet that it's a low battery that starved some electronics of power when you started the car. They lost their "settings" when being starved for power and thus the error codes. It's happened on RL's for the past decade.

Driving to the dealer probably charged your battery so it came up fine. Did you restart the car after all the lights came on to see if they disappeared?
Old 04-13-2016, 11:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
I would bet that it's a low battery that starved some electronics of power when you started the car. They lost their "settings" when being starved for power and thus the error codes. It's happened on RL's for the past decade.

Driving to the dealer probably charged your battery so it came up fine. Did you restart the car after all the lights came on to see if they disappeared?
The dealer said my battery is A-OK as that is the first thing they mentioned they would check. The advisor seems to think that clearing the codes will resolve this issue, but I told him that doesn't address what caused the event in the first place.

He tried to "dumb it down for me", and I had to finally tell him I used to work for AHM and I'm an IT professional.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
The dealer said my battery is A-OK as that is the first thing they mentioned they would check. The advisor seems to think that clearing the codes will resolve this issue, but I told him that doesn't address what caused the event in the first place.

He tried to "dumb it down for me", and I had to finally tell him I used to work for AHM and I'm an IT professional.
Even though the battery is fine and in good health, it could have been discharged enough to cause an error with voltages when starting the car initially. If there isn't enough juice it'll starve modules of power even for milliseconds and cause errors. By the time you arrived at the dealership the battery was charged.

I had to jump my MDX to get 4 miles to the autostore after the battery died. Within those 4 miles and 10 minutes of driving the battery was able to deliver 800CCA without an issue when tested. Turns out a bad radio drained the battery. The point is that it doesn't take long to charge a good healthy battery.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
Even though the battery is fine and in good health, it could have been discharged enough to cause an error with voltages when starting the car initially. If there isn't enough juice it'll starve modules of power even for milliseconds and cause errors. By the time you arrived at the dealership the battery was charged.

I had to jump my MDX to get 4 miles to the autostore after the battery died. Within those 4 miles and 10 minutes of driving the battery was able to deliver 800CCA without an issue when tested. Turns out a bad radio drained the battery. The point is that it doesn't take long to charge a good healthy battery.
I'd be happy if it's the OE battery because that's any easy fix. OE batteries are mostly crappy anyways... they usually get you by during the warranty period only. Then they usually go caput overnight. (Luckily I'm in So Cal, so weather isn't a factor.)

I haven't had to buy a replacement battery in a while, but I would get a Interstate or Diehard over OE.

Last edited by rocket_pup; 04-15-2016 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:53 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
This happened with my car as well but, while driving rather than starting up.

It cleared up later the same day but, I took it to the dealer anyway.

They did a software update and cleared the codes.

It hasn't reoccurred.
The following users liked this post:
wally808 (07-09-2022)
Old 08-19-2016, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shuttered and died

My 2015 TLX 2.4 Tech died on a major highway last week. All warning lights flashed. I could not restart the car, until I let it sit by the side of the road for an hour waiting for Acura roadside service (another story!). Finally able to restart with all of the lights flashing and move it to a side street. After finally having it towed 3 hours later to the dealer, they reset the codes. I made the dealer drive it for 2 days with no problems, but I am still nervous about driving it because they never really found a reason for the problem. If it happens again, I will get rid of the car an they will lose a long time customer.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:39 PM
Pro

My car has now been in the shop three times for the phenomenon of all the warning lights coming on.
It always starts with the electric parking brake warning followed by Emissions system. Next, SH-AWD, transmission, LKAS, ABS, etc.
It always happens when just cruising on a highway. In March and June, it was in the exact same spot on the NY Thruway. In September, it was the PA Turnpike.
The first time, they reset the codes and tested.
The second time, they replaced a wheel speed sensor.
In both cases, the car drove normally just had the dashboard lit up like the Ginza at night.
This third time was different. The transmission downshifted and the rev counter was over 4K. The shift paddles did not work so I pulled of the highway and rebooted.
Everything went away except the parking brake and emissions warnings so I was able to resume driving.
This third time, there was a permanent transmission error code. They called in Acura regional factory techs and tested the car for 7 freaking days. They replaced the transmission control module.
I asked for a new car. They wouldn't do it.
I hope it's OK now because I really like this car but, if the quarterly phenomenon happens again in December as I fear it will, I will ask for a new car again.
When they say no, I'll let them try their next repair and then head straight to the nearest Audi and Infiniti dealers to try a trade-in with as little financial pain as possible.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago

Anyone else have this problem? 1st of 4 Acuras this has happened to. (Other 3 were rock solid.
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago
Old 09-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
L Michele, This is probably the rear-wheel speed sensor. It degrades and then fails. Only when it is really ready to fail will they get codes. Catbert, sounds like you need a new TCM.
catbert430 (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 05:03 PM
Pro

Yep, they did the wheel speed sensor in June and the TCM in September.
I hope it's OK now because I just invested in a new set of tires.
The Acura dealer is going to mount and road-force balance them plus do an alignment on Saturday morning.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:11 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by rick0452
My 2015 TLX 2.4 Tech died on a major highway last week. All warning lights flashed. I could not restart the car, until I let it sit by the side of the road for an hour waiting for Acura roadside service (another story!). Finally able to restart with all of the lights flashing and move it to a side street. After finally having it towed 3 hours later to the dealer, they reset the codes. I made the dealer drive it for 2 days with no problems, but I am still nervous about driving it because they never really found a reason for the problem. If it happens again, I will get rid of the car an they will lose a long time customer.
!any up dates? have u had this problem again
Old 07-12-2018, 06:16 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Add another member to the list...Leaving the office yesterday and got the Christmas tree of dashboard lights, and ended up having to get towed. I have a 2016 SH-AWD Advance with 30k miles, with similar symptoms.

1) Over 2mins of warning lights saying certain features had errors
2) High idle (almost 2000rpm)
3) Was able to put it into gear
4) Unable to accelerate (even gas pedal all the way down), just creeping at the drive speed

I called my service department and my regular advisor did not seem surprised, it appears to be a known issue. On the plus side, Acura Roadside assistance and the app are very nice. You can see where the tow truck is in relations to you, and get alerts when the tow is expected to arrive. They followed up 2x to ask if the tow truck had arrived. The negative, it took the tow truck 2 hours to reach me
Old 07-15-2018, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Posted before reading this thread. I originally posted this in the general TLX forum, but believe it would be better here. I leased a brand new 2018 TLX A Spec AWD (Black with Red Interior) in October of 2017. When I had it about a week or so with less than 400 miles on it, I pulled in my driveway, put on the brakes, then finished a phone call. About three minutes later, I get an error for the cruise control. Then, errors for transmission, emergency break, breaking system, off road mitigation system, impact warning system and two or three other systems flashed. The car starts, but will not go in gear at all. Was told it was a battery sensor. Two days ago, with 10,000 miles, the same thing happened. Dealership changing sensor, but they don't know what else is wrong. Any advice?
Old 07-16-2018, 04:32 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Here’s how my issue was resolved:
  • Fuse to battery blower fan blew out, causing blower to fail and other lights to fail
  • Dealership replaced the fuse and installed a new blower
  • Dealership tested battery multiple times to make sure it was properly charged (may charge myself)
Hopefully, this will be a permanent fix. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:17 PM
ranger

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Dash lights

The same thing happened to me last year. The steering wheel offset is the clue. In my case; they replaced the rear wheel steering solenoids and that fixed the problem. This is a 2016 TLX with Tech package and V6. Goof Luck/
Old 08-19-2019, 08:59 PM
4th Gear

Catbert , can you provide a status update on this issue?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

Dashboard light 2015 Acura Tlx 4cyn

@rocket_pup what was your conclusion on your dashboard lights problem you had I change the battery and Alternator still has the lights on
Old 10-05-2019, 08:02 AM
1st Gear

Just brought a tlx 2 days later this happen to me in the shop now and they said they have to replace a control module didnt mention which one. Waiting on part will arrive Tuesday
Old 11-08-2019, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

I had it today

I drove between 2 hospital in the City and suddenly check engine, check handbrake, check transmission and other warnings popped. Drive stayed normal but I could not change speed manually. Car is TLX 2015. It is now parked. I called Acura and say that I can bring the car if there is nothing abnormal with drive. I have meeting and see what happens after it when I restart the rested car...

I dont like the overcomputerization of cars...
Old 01-04-2020, 11:03 AM
Cruisin'

Add me to this club again, 2nd time in 8 months.😡
Old 01-06-2020, 02:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by reefman
Add me to this club again, 2nd time in 8 months.😡
updated:
PCM and TCM update were needed. my fingers cross this is the fix.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by reefman
updated:
PCM and TCM update were needed. my fingers cross this is the fix.
I’m really hoping that this isn’t one of those nightmare electrical issues. I’m dealing with this sequence that flashes through about every 3 seconds—- TRANSMISSION SYTEM PROBLEM —-> VEHICLE STABILITY ASSIST—-> PRECISION ALL WHEEL STEER PROBLEM —-> FORWARD COLLISION WARNING PROBLEM—-> LANE DEPARTURE WARNING PROBLEM—-> BLIND SPOT INFO SYSTEM PROBLEM—— then starts over.

anybody else have this issue?
Old 01-14-2020, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Brown
I’m really hoping that this isn’t one of those nightmare electrical issues. I’m dealing with this sequence that flashes through about every 3 seconds—- TRANSMISSION SYTEM PROBLEM —-> VEHICLE STABILITY ASSIST—-> PRECISION ALL WHEEL STEER PROBLEM —-> FORWARD COLLISION WARNING PROBLEM—-> LANE DEPARTURE WARNING PROBLEM—-> BLIND SPOT INFO SYSTEM PROBLEM—— then starts over.

anybody else have this issue?
Take it to the dealership. Anything we tell you on here is probably just a guess. It can be one of several things that seem to have fixed similar problems. At least they can check for error codes. I wouldn't drive the car while it's doing it and even if it goes away, it doesn't mean it went away (from personal experience).
Old 01-27-2020, 06:20 PM
4th Gear

Follow Up To Your post

Originally Posted by catbert430
My car has now been in the shop three times for the phenomenon of all the warning lights coming on.
It always starts with the electric parking brake warning followed by Emissions system. Next, SH-AWD, transmission, LKAS, ABS, etc.
It always happens when just cruising on a highway. In March and June, it was in the exact same spot on the NY Thruway. In September, it was the PA Turnpike.

The first time, they reset the codes and tested.
The second time, they replaced a wheel speed sensor.
In both cases, the car drove normally just had the dashboard lit up like the Ginza at night.
This third time was different. The transmission downshifted and the rev counter was over 4K. The shift paddles did not work so I pulled of the highway and rebooted.
Everything went away except the parking brake and emissions warnings so I was able to resume driving.
This third time, there was a permanent transmission error code. They called in Acura regional factory techs and tested the car for 7 freaking days. They replaced the transmission control module.
I asked for a new car. They wouldn't do it.
I hope it's OK now because I really like this car but, if the quarterly phenomenon happens again in December as I fear it will, I will ask for a new car again.
When they say no, I'll let them try their next repair and then head straight to the nearest Audi and Infiniti dealers to try a trade-in with as little financial pain as possible.
Apologies as I know that this post was a LONG time ago... However, I have been having the same issue and would love to know if you ever permanently corrected this issue. I have had the Rear Wheel Speed Sensors replaced and had he Rear Toe Control Actuator connectors checked recently and I am just wondering if I am going to see this error again. I too love the car but don't want to keep it if this cannot be fixed. Again, I am sorry as I know you post was a long time ago but I thought that you would know if it ever came back.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:16 AM
ranger

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Dashboard warning lights

There was an inquiry as to whether I had any repeat problems. I should knock wood first, but I have not had any problems with the car since May 2018. It runs fine on long as well as short trips. It is out of warranty now but I did invest in the 10 year extended coverage. I hope I don't need it but if I do, I hope it is as good.as promised.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:13 AM
4th Gear

Follow Up

I had this issue 3 times in the past 6 months. It was much more than a nuisance because when it happened the car actually decelerated suddenly and drove very sluggishly. Mine was Acura Certified, 35k miles, and is under the extended warranty. I took it to the dealership and they were NO HELP AT ALL. I also opened a case with Acura Client Services and they were NO HELP AT ALL EITHER. They hid behind the fact that they could not dupliate the issue in the shop. I showed them this thread and they were uninterested.

I am disappointed beyong belief with Acura. With that said, I do love the car and decided to try to fix it and pay out of pocket (a gamble). I replaced the battery. I replaced the Rear Speed Control Sensors and had the Rear Actuator connector (crimp) checked which seem to be the most common issues referenced. If this does not fix it, I will replace the TCM. If the issue comes back after all of this, I will sell the car.

So, I will be sure to update this forum at a later date to let everyone know if this worked or not. So thank you all for the information and I sure hope that it is fixed as the car is SO fun and comfortable. Please let me know if you had tthis problem and fixed it or if you could not fix it.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2021, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Something similar to this has happened to me twice. In each case, something different was done, apparently. The thread you were probably looking for is this one (my issues and their resolution are in there) :

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...ailure-931335/
MOVED my 2012 mdx this morning, 2hrs later went in to leave and it was dead, after jump start and drove about 5 miles, the dash lit up with all lights and blinking with the car intermittently losing power. Check engine, breaking system, drl all came on please help
Old 11-13-2021, 04:57 PM
4th Gear

All Dashboard Lights On

I have a 2015 TLX Advanced Package. I had this issue in Jan 2020. This Youtube video is pretty close but mine also had everything blinking on and off too. But this shows the system showing all the failures that I had going on and he talks about it being in limp mode too. It happened 3 times to me. I took it to the dealer 3 times and they were NO HELP AT ALL!!! I called Acura Customer Care and they were NO HELP AT ALL!!

Video:

I was about to go and trade it in on something else. But I read here about people having this problem and suggesting the Rear Wheel Speed Sensors was the issue. I took it to my local mechanic and with diagnosis, parts and labor it cost me 800 bucks to have the Rear Wheel Speed Sensors Replaced and Rear Actuator connectors inspected (it was said that sometimes they were not properly connected). The mechanic had it for a week diagnosing this so simply replacing the parts and inspecting the connectors would have been much less.

Since then, I have not had the problem repeat (fingers crossed). And looking back, Acura SUCKED and it was clear that they knew about this issue too!

So I believe this was it. I am not a mechanic but I do believe people here saved me thousands of dollars by helping me fix this. I hope this helps! It fixed mine.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:24 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had 2015 (4-Cyl), 2017 (4-Cyl Tech) and 2020 (4-Cyl Tech) TLXs. Never had any serious problems with any of them. Today, my 2020 (with 8000 miles) exhibited the behavior described in this thread. The problem occurred immediately after re-fueling. Made it a few blocks home and called the dealer. Was told they've seen similar behavior from an overfull tank causing issue with the Evaporative System. Perhaps, but I'd expect only a check engine light, not an every system warning? For what it's worth, the steering wheel was cocked 1/4 turn when it first happened, but seems to have corrected itself. Still plenty of warning lights after six restarts. Will let it sit overnight and take it to the dealer if the problem is still present in the AM. After reading this thread, I'm not too optimistic it will reset on its own.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:38 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocketman
I've had 2015 (4-Cyl), 2017 (4-Cyl Tech) and 2020 (4-Cyl Tech) TLXs. Never had any serious problems with any of them. Today, my 2020 (with 8000 miles) exhibited the behavior described in this thread. The problem occurred immediately after re-fueling. Made it a few blocks home and called the dealer. Was told they've seen similar behavior from an overfull tank causing issue with the Evaporative System. Perhaps, but I'd expect only a check engine light, not an every system warning? For what it's worth, the steering wheel was cocked 1/4 turn when it first happened, but seems to have corrected itself. Still plenty of warning lights after six restarts. Will let it sit overnight and take it to the dealer if the problem is still present in the AM. After reading this thread, I'm not too optimistic it will reset on its own.
Follow up on the above post. Drove the car (cautiously) 3.1 miles to the dealership. Steering wheel returned to center and the car seemed to behave normally. The dashboard lightshow continued. Later that day when the technician went to work on the car, the error lights were no longer present. An OBD code indicated a problem with the Steering Angle Sensor. Similar posts indicated problems with wheel speed sensors. Apparently, just about any electrical anomaly involving an ECS component would be cause for the vehicle to start throwing associated warnings. While at first, it appeared to be a "catastrophic" failure, in retrospect the warning lights were appropriate.
Jim2301 (12-01-2021)
Old 04-07-2023, 05:39 AM
4th Gear

All cars have 4-wheel speed sensors (ABS sensors). If one of these sensors fails, you will get several warnings on the dashboard, including an ABS light, traction control light, stability control warning, etc. Adaptive cruise control and adaptive braking will be disabled as well if your vehicle has those systems.Jan 5, 2023