2015 TLX-AWD Vibration - Escalating

Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
My car is in the shop for this issue. Service rep spoke with tech line and they'll remove the propeller shaft and test drive it as a 2wd and see if the vibration is still there. If not, then theyll recalibrate the propeller shaft. Not sure what that means but as long as it fixes the vibration...
Old 10-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Update: new drive shaft has been ordered.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:43 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
Update: new drive shaft has been ordered.
I can tell you from experience it is not the driveshaft. I had my original rotated. Then they put a new one on. It still vibrated, and then they rotated that one. Still vibrates to this day. Sorry they are wasting your time.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:20 AM
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by mikedub88
I can tell you from experience it is not the driveshaft. I had my original rotated. Then they put a new one on. It still vibrated, and then they rotated that one. Still vibrates to this day. Sorry they are wasting your time.
Don't be so sure. As an owner of a Volkswagen Touareg I follow their forum. Some of the Touaregs get SWS (Steering wheel shake) and typically there is no one cure for all. Sometimes all it takes is jacking up the car and setting the proper torque on the lug nuts with a torque wrench. Sometimes it takes road force balancing. Sometimes new (different brand) tires. Sometimes replacing a driveshaft. A couple of Touaregs had to be bought back by VW because VW couldn't fix them. Basically if the vehicle is susceptible to vibrating behavior there may not be one solution for all. Sometimes it is a combination of several things and some cars my never get a full solution.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

They want me to test drive the vehicle. According to the tech who verified the vibration, it's gone now. I guess we'll see... but no way in hell im taking the car back if i still feel the vibration
Old 10-14-2016, 06:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm reading and watching this thread with trepidation and vested interest.... my new '15 SH-AWD with 1500 miles and stock tires (for now- AS3+s waiting to be installed) does have the vibration as well from 70 to 80 mph, with maximal effect at 75.
It'll be interesting to hear what my dealers service manager knows, and what hes' done, and to what effect...............
Old 10-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Test drove the car this morning and the vibration is gone. Acura didnt release the car to me yet as they needed to take snapshots to send to corporate. Car definitely drives like a different car. The smooth ride at 60 is now the same when going between 70 to 80. Will continue to monitor it once i get the car back. I believe they changed the drive shaft. Will post more info once i get more details.
The following users liked this post:
noclutch (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the ray of hope there mondster. I'm just now starting down the vibration path...

Did you find out or does anyone know if a newer TSB has been issued on this?
Old 10-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by noclutch
Thanks for the ray of hope there mondster. I'm just now starting down the vibration path...

Did you find out or does anyone know if a newer TSB has been issued on this?
No recent tsb releases, although a few from these forums have stated that acura is working on a fix that should come out by fall. Maybe im a guinuei pig? I will be monitoring mine... so far, it's better. Will it last? That's what im curious to find out. Stay tuned.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
See TSB 16-057 - Vibration Felt In Front Seats and Floor at Highway Speeds in the 2015 and 2016 TSB threads.
The following 3 users liked this post by EE4Life:
cube1 (11-03-2016), max3lv6 (11-05-2016), mikedub88 (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life
See TSB 16-057 - Vibration Felt In Front Seats and Floor at Highway Speeds in the 2015 and 2016 TSB threads.
Hallelujah!
Old 11-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hallelujah!
Amen!
Old 11-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Went to the dealership this morning... parts are on order for Tuesday. Service Tech didn't question the issue, he basically said it's about time a fix came from Acura.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:46 PM
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally some good news. About time. Will call Acura tomorrow rot make appointment.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I called my Acura dealer last Friday morning when I heard of the new TSB - unfortunately it is not available in Canada yet... Hope we get it soon.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
i have my appointment Thursday for this, let's see how it goes
Old 11-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by max3lv6
Went to the dealership this morning... parts are on order for Tuesday. Service Tech didn't question the issue, he basically said it's about time a fix came from Acura.
TSB 16-057 has now been performed on my car. So far I haven't noticed any vibration where I did before, everything is smooth to 80 MPH. A positive side effect: the auto engine idle stop is smoother as well, given the new trans and engine mounts absorb energy better.

The following 3 users liked this post by max3lv6:
mondster (11-09-2016), quantum7 (11-09-2016), ZipSpeed (11-28-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 09:07 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
car is at the dealer with this TSB being performed. they pre ordered the parts and didn't question anything. should get my car back tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Dropped my car off for its first service (A16). While it was there, lurked Acurazine and saw the TSB 16-057 service bulletin in this thread. Sent an email to my service rep and showed him the service bulletin. He said he would look into it and sent me an email a little later saying that he needed to keep the car because they needed to order the parts.

Quick background - Purchased my car (2016 Advance - SH-AWD) in February and it had the shake 70-80 mph. I actually went on a ride with the dealer's lead tech the first week I brought home the car. He said "they all do that" and "some are worse than others" and that there was nothing that really fixes it. He did say that one customer swapped the Goodyears for high performance Michelin summer tires and it helped, but it did not eliminate the issue. He agreed to force balance the wheels - made no difference at all and have been living with it (suffering) since.

Got my car back today and I am happy to report that the work done on this service bulletin actually helped! Is it smooth as glass now? No, but it's about 90% better. The vibration was bad enough before that the passenger seat would shake like crazy from 70-80 mph. It still shakes a bit now, but nothing like it used to and you can barely feel it. Definitely livable now, so hopefully it stays this way. Another service rep thanked me for bringing the service bulletin up and said his car was next in line to get it done.

Side note - the loaner I had (2015 V6 Tech FWD) did not have the same vibration issue. I know the loaner did not have the service bulletin done but it was about the same as my car after the service was done. However, holy transmission Batman! My transmission is so much smoother and a bit quicker. That 2nd-3rd harsh shift is non-existent on my car but is clearly there on this loaner still. The VCM vibration was much more noticeable on the loaner as well.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:32 PM
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Had my car fixed based on SB16-057 for vibration, and this made a Hugh difference. Car is now much smoother when driving 70-80mph. The work was performed in about 4.5 hours. The bill was nearly $700 for parts and labor,all covered in warranty, Acura lost a 60,000 mile pre-paid maintenance contract with me over this issue, as I was unsure I would keep the car that many miles with the vibration. And to get full refund amount, I had to cancel within 30-60 days from initial purchase. This fix came about 90 days from purchase. Too late for Acura.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:06 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Anyone in Canada have this fix applied? I never really felt the vibration with my all-seasons but ever since mounting winter tires, I can feel vibration, most noticeable around 110 kph/70 mph. I don't think it's a tire balance issue as the vehicle is smooth up to 100 kph. Once I get to around 125 kph, the car is smooth again.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Anyone in Canada have this fix applied? I never really felt the vibration with my all-seasons but ever since mounting winter tires, I can feel vibration, most noticeable around 110 kph/70 mph. I don't think it's a tire balance issue as the vehicle is smooth up to 100 kph. Once I get to around 125 kph, the car is smooth again.
The TSB isn't available in Canada yet - I called my dealer as soon as I saw it (on Acurazine) and then a few days later Acura Canada Customer Relations to find out when we'd get it (after my dealer said it was not available). I was told (more than two weeks ago) that it was a matter of days because Acura needed to ship specific parts and tools to fix the problem.

I had a similar experience with the vibration itself - I didn't have it with the all-seasons until I had my winter tires installed. Then in the spring I upgraded to 19" wheels with Conti DWS-06 tires and the vibration continued. I had both set of wheels/tires balanced multiple times...
Old 11-29-2016, 05:18 PM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by chris_cave
The TSB isn't available in Canada yet - I called my dealer as soon as I saw it (on Acurazine) and then a few days later Acura Canada Customer Relations to find out when we'd get it (after my dealer said it was not available). I was told (more than two weeks ago) that it was a matter of days because Acura needed to ship specific parts and tools to fix the problem.

I had a similar experience with the vibration itself - I didn't have it with the all-seasons until I had my winter tires installed. Then in the spring I upgraded to 19" wheels with Conti DWS-06 tires and the vibration continued. I had both set of wheels/tires balanced multiple times...
Thanks for the update. Hope we get the fix sooner, rather than later.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2015 TLX-AWD Vibration - Escalating

News from Canada,
After more then 1 year waiting, my dealer call me with a solution for my vibration problem. My appointment is this thursday and I hope it's the good one this time. After more then a mounth passed in the dealer garage to try everything last year, it's time to Acura to give a final solution. I cross my finger and I let you know the result after the work.

Next step from Honda Canada, giving back the AcuraLink service as soon as possible. The service is cut from de last september.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:07 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new fix don't work. I have the same vibration problem between 115 and 125 km/h. They change 2 bolts in the rear suspension and some support for the engine. I really don't know what to do with my car.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:19 PM
Intermediate

Anyone else had the TSB applied yet? Feedback?

Last weekend while tooling along at 75 mph, I videoed my vibrating passenger seat (just for a little more documentation) prior to showing up at the dealer to demonstrate my HPFP chirp and door seal squeak... LOL...
Old 02-09-2017, 07:36 AM
Intermediate

I had it done. No more vibration. Keep in mind that my TLX AWD is set up with the 19" diamond cut wheels and matching Michelins.

BTW, if your engine chirp is like the one I had, it is a vibrating fuel line part. My dealer repaired mine as a warranty claim. Chirp gone.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:40 PM
There are four lights!

As mentioned earlier, the TSB wasn't available in Canada a few months ago. Thinking sufficient time has passed, I emailed my dealer the TSB to see if it was available in Canada, and the next thing I know, the service manager emails me back saying the parts on order! Hopefully it won't be long now because the vibration at highway speeds is annoying (which is 75% of my daily commute).
Old 02-16-2017, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Frustrations

So, taking my '16 SH-AWD Adv in later today for B16. I asked my service manager about the TSB and he had never heard of it. Going to see if I can get it done, but since I have aftermarket wheels and tires on the car I'm sure things will not go smoothly. The vibration on the 2016 is not as bad as my 2015 (long story), but it is still there. I had to put a rubber bumper on the passenger seat seat belt receptacle to stop it from flapping back and forth. We'll see what happens.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:40 AM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by rgpolson
So, taking my '16 SH-AWD Adv in later today for B16. I asked my service manager about the TSB and he had never heard of it. Going to see if I can get it done, but since I have aftermarket wheels and tires on the car I'm sure things will not go smoothly. The vibration on the 2016 is not as bad as my 2015 (long story), but it is still there. I had to put a rubber bumper on the passenger seat seat belt receptacle to stop it from flapping back and forth. We'll see what happens.
There are two kinds of service managers I have observed over the years: (1) The kind that will bend over backwards for you to make things right and try to do their best to look for a solution even if there isn't one. (2) The kind that always say "That is how the car behaves and there isn't anything I can do" or "Never heard of it, go bug someone else".

I would personally email a PDF copy of the TSB and let him look at it. If he tells you to bugger off, that would be a sign to move your service to another dealer. When I emailed my service manager, I was surprised that he didn't want me to bring in the vehicle for them to evaluate. They probably dealt with the issue numerous times already is my guess.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
There are two kinds of service managers I have observed over the years: (1) The kind that will bend over backwards for you to make things right and try to do their best to look for a solution even if there isn't one. (2) The kind that always say "That is how the car behaves and there isn't anything I can do" or "Never heard of it, go bug someone else".

I would personally email a PDF copy of the TSB and let him look at it. If he tells you to bugger off, that would be a sign to move your service to another dealer. When I emailed my service manager, I was surprised that he didn't want me to bring in the vehicle for them to evaluate. They probably dealt with the issue numerous times already is my guess.
Road forced balanced the wheels, found one out of balance. Things seem good, but I have to go back next week to have fuel pump chirp fixed. That gives me a week to see if vibration returns.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
On the other Acura forum someone had traced a vibration to the rear subframe. Others fixed it with new tires.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:47 AM
There are four lights!

Happy to report the TSB (in Canada, reference J-12-16 service bulletin) has significantly reduced the highway vibration in my 2016 TLX. There is still a bit of vibration but overall, the highway drive is no longer super annoying and rather pleasant. If anything, my wife is happy she won't have to hear me complain anymore! Northwest Acura in my city has been very accommodating and they didn't even challenge the issue. They pretty much ordered the parts as soon as I mentioned highway vibration. Probably not the first TLX they've fixed, and won't be last. I did have to wait about 3 weeks for the parts to come in, but all said and done, I'm happy the issue has been finally resolved.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

I just wanted come back and say that I LOVE my 2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD now! The car is now what I expected in the beginning. I honestly never thought I would say that. With the vibration resolved by new sub-frame bushings and original hard-shifting tranny replaced, I am now very happy with my ride!!! (The new tranny seems better every 1,000 miles.) Luxurious and right for either economy, comfort, fun, or performance.
The following 2 users liked this post by volmoon:
a35tl (08-31-2017), F23A4 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-26-2017, 04:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't been on in a while but glad I checked and found this tsb. I complained about excessive seat vibration in late 2015 and early 2016 for my 15 v6 paws build and the jackass dealer was dismissive of my claim and said there's no way to test the problem occurring at 70-80 mph because it is over the speed limit. I'm going to shove this tsb up that guy's ass (no homo). Thank God for Acurazine.
Christopher. (12-20-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just felt mine last couple days driving about 75-80mph. The car is 2016 TLX I4 with 26k miles. Tires rotated every 5k miles with the last one done a month ago. Not sure if they even look at this since it's a 4cyl model and just starting to happen now. They can just blame on the tires or I might have hit something....Anyone with a 4cyl model that went thru this?
Old 09-02-2017, 06:04 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noclue02
Just felt mine last couple days driving about 75-80mph. The car is 2016 TLX I4 with 26k miles. Tires rotated every 5k miles with the last one done a month ago. Not sure if they even look at this since it's a 4cyl model and just starting to happen now. They can just blame on the tires or I might have hit something....Anyone with a 4cyl model that went thru this?
Have you had your wheels balanced? If not, start there. The balance can change as the tires wear. On my current car, three out of four of the tires were off balance at 18k miles and I had them high speed spin-balanced (no road-force) and it's much smoother on the highway. It's good to have the balance checked every other tire rotation, you'll likely find that small adjustments have to be made over time. Also not a bad idea to have the alignment checked also if you haven't already.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:48 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi Everyone,

It is ridiculous that for a brand new car , people have to go with "load force balancing" and a special brand of tire, in this case "Michelin". None of us bought a Ferrari , Lamborgini, Audi R8 or even Acura NSX. Imagine now that you are at the end of the base warranty, you will need to pay for this extra work, i am pretty sure that the cost for "load force balancing" is a lot more expensive as it is a very long process just to do one wheel and tire.
Acura does not know how to correctly fix this vibration issue and we are all paying the price for their mistake.
This is why i decided to sue them and till each and everyone of us will do the same, they will not care about us.

Thanks and have a good day.
Mickey
Christopher. (12-20-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Axe
Have you had your wheels balanced? If not, start there. The balance can change as the tires wear. On my current car, three out of four of the tires were off balance at 18k miles and I had them high speed spin-balanced (no road-force) and it's much smoother on the highway. It's good to have the balance checked every other tire rotation, you'll likely find that small adjustments have to be made over time. Also not a bad idea to have the alignment checked also if you haven't already.
Had mine rebalance every time I got it rotate. The vibration does not happen often, but it is there.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:20 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
[QUOTE=2Blueyam;15871442]... couple of Touaregs had to be bought back by VW because VW couldn't fix them.../QUOTE]
Why didn't Acura do that for the OP instead of simply telling him "too bad"?!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 TLX-AWD Vibration - Escalating