Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
See the following July 2016 Acura Tech Line Summary Article:

BTS160701
Vibration in Front Seats, Floor, and Accelerator Pedal at Highway Speeds
Affected Vehicles: 2015−16 TLX V6 with AWD
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BTS160701.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p.../BTS160701.PDF

Last edited by EE4Life; 07-09-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life
See the following July 2016 Acura Tech Line Summary Article:

BTS160701
Vibration in Front Seats, Floor, and Accelerator Pedal at Highway Speeds
Affected Vehicles: 2015−16 TLX V6 with AWD
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BTS160701.PDF
LinkDeny
Wait what???? They're saying the solution is to put Goodyear LS2 tires back on the car (or swap the old ones)???

Acura swapped Michelins on nine months ago. That seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Question for others still having the issue...how bad of a vibration do you get? Is it slight or a pronounced and evident vibration.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by neil0311
Wait what???? They're saying the solution is to put Goodyear LS2 tires back on the car (or swap the old ones)???

Acura swapped Michelins on nine months ago. That seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Question for others still having the issue...how bad of a vibration do you get? Is it slight or a pronounced and evident vibration.
I believe some of the V6 models came with Bridgestone tires. I checked on Tire Rack, and they are now showing two versions of the Goodyear LS2 tire, with one listed as the "new" OEM. The specs appears to be the same, but the "new" OEM tire costs more, and is on backorder.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:45 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer refused to put A/S3's on my car and instead mounted the RE97 A/S. Vibration decreased a bit but still persisted in addition the Bridgestones are noisy as hell. I've since given up (back and forth to the dealer 1hr20mins way 5+ times) and traded it in for a Lexus GS350. The TLX is my first and last Acura.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can say with certainty tires will not fix the underlying issue, mitigate it at best for awhile maby, for the particular issue on my cars anyways.
A family member and I had a 2015 sh-awd - we bought them at the same time - the vibration on my car was so bad I could feel my face vibrate if my head was against the head rest and you could see the passenger seat literally shake -- all on nice new pavement at speeds between 60 and 85mph. As a side note I will never buy another car unless I drive it a lot on the highway first. They replaced pretty much everything on my car excluding the rear diff and transmission I am sure due to cost. The family member lives in another part of the country and is experiencing the same issue (from the serial numbers the cars were built about 500 cars apart both in October 2014 I think. I took my car back and was able to secure a 2016 sh-awd with the aspec package and was allowed to drive it a good amt before agreeing to it. The vibration issue I felt was 80 - 90 percent less and tolerable to me. I drove the car out to my family members home (about 2000km) and had our tires swapped -- her tires 18 inch ls2 raised the vibration level on my car somewhat. (No where near her car) The Michelin as3 did calm down the vibration somewhat on her car but still not acceptable -- at the time of the swap both cars had about 2000 miles on them.
Now I have 9000 miles on the car and the vibration is getting worse. It seems to me the better 19 inch tires just covered a inherent issue in the drive train of this car -- if it was tires why does the car drive absolutely great at 55 miles per hour and 85 miles per hour and above. Anything between these speeds, whether accelerating, driving constant speed or coasting in neutral (ex drive 100 mph put the car in neutral and coast down to 55 -- on my car vibration starts around 83 or so and gets stronger to 73 mph and then starts to lesson at 65, at 55 it seems to be gone) this is driving on new pavement on a long hill in the mountains with the car coasting in neutral. (Not vcm)
My speculation is either the rear diff or the transmission engine combo are causing this by how these units are isolated from the frame/cabin of the car and at certain frequencies at speed are not being compensated for by all the mounts -- ahh but who knows maby it's like Acura says its all in my head by telling me some people are just more sensitive... I thought that was funny �� Lol I have driven 5 of these cars over 500 miles each and all of them to one degree or another have this issue. Drove the 4 cylinder as well and it did not have this issue.
im now fighting with my wife to drive her new golf if I have to drive on the highway. Been told that engineering is working on the issue. Give it another month and if not resolved I will be getting another car as I drive 80 percent highway for my job and this is beyond irritating ... No more Honda products for me ��
The following users liked this post:
#172CR (07-10-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Racer

I can't speak for anyone else, but since my car got the new tranny and new Michelin tires in Feb, the vibration is gone. It was slight but noticeable before with the Goodyear tires, but essentially gone now.

So not sure if this is a hit/miss issue based on assembly or parts, or maybe is tied to the transmission (and the new transmissions mitigates the vibration). I also have the stock 18" wheels and tire size. I drove 1,000 miles recently on the highway and was focused on it and the ride was smooth.

We'll see once these tires wear if anything changes.

Last edited by neil0311; 07-09-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Homerman
I can say with certainty tires will not fix the underlying issue, mitigate it at best for awhile maby, for the particular issue on my cars anyways.
A family member and I had a 2015 sh-awd - we bought them at the same time - the vibration on my car was so bad I could feel my face vibrate if my head was against the head rest and you could see the passenger seat literally shake -- all on nice new pavement at speeds between 60 and 85mph. As a side note I will never buy another car unless I drive it a lot on the highway first. They replaced pretty much everything on my car excluding the rear diff and transmission I am sure due to cost. The family member lives in another part of the country and is experiencing the same issue (from the serial numbers the cars were built about 500 cars apart both in October 2014 I think. I took my car back and was able to secure a 2016 sh-awd with the aspec package and was allowed to drive it a good amt before agreeing to it. The vibration issue I felt was 80 - 90 percent less and tolerable to me. I drove the car out to my family members home (about 2000km) and had our tires swapped -- her tires 18 inch ls2 raised the vibration level on my car somewhat. (No where near her car) The Michelin as3 did calm down the vibration somewhat on her car but still not acceptable -- at the time of the swap both cars had about 2000 miles on them.
Now I have 9000 miles on the car and the vibration is getting worse. It seems to me the better 19 inch tires just covered a inherent issue in the drive train of this car -- if it was tires why does the car drive absolutely great at 55 miles per hour and 85 miles per hour and above. Anything between these speeds, whether accelerating, driving constant speed or coasting in neutral (ex drive 100 mph put the car in neutral and coast down to 55 -- on my car vibration starts around 83 or so and gets stronger to 73 mph and then starts to lesson at 65, at 55 it seems to be gone) this is driving on new pavement on a long hill in the mountains with the car coasting in neutral. (Not vcm)
My speculation is either the rear diff or the transmission engine combo are causing this by how these units are isolated from the frame/cabin of the car and at certain frequencies at speed are not being compensated for by all the mounts -- ahh but who knows maby it's like Acura says its all in my head by telling me some people are just more sensitive... I thought that was funny �� Lol I have driven 5 of these cars over 500 miles each and all of them to one degree or another have this issue. Drove the 4 cylinder as well and it did not have this issue.
im now fighting with my wife to drive her new golf if I have to drive on the highway. Been told that engineering is working on the issue. Give it another month and if not resolved I will be getting another car as I drive 80 percent highway for my job and this is beyond irritating ... No more Honda products for me ��
Good write up!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
I feel my car shaking and the see the passenger.seat shake like crazy whenever i accelerate to around 70 to 75 mph. Is this the vibration that most are feeling? Also seems like the harder i push the gas pedal, the more prominent the vibration is. Thoughts anyone?
Old 07-16-2016, 12:39 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mondster
I feel my car shaking and the see the passenger.seat shake like crazy whenever i accelerate to around 70 to 75 mph. Is this the vibration that most are feeling? Also seems like the harder i push the gas pedal, the more prominent the vibration is. Thoughts anyone?
The vibration in mine goes away at speeds over 85 miles per hour and is not dependent on accelerating or decelerating as mentioned in above post I can put car in neutral and let it coast from 100 mph down to 55 and the vibration will come on strong at 75 mph and lesson as the car slows down -- this is the same behavior in three tlx v6 sh-awd that I owned and a fourth and fifth used as a demo for a month or so (four 2015 and one 2016). Each one had varying degree of this vibration, but all had it. You also have to be on really smooth pavement or concreate or the road will mask the vibration.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
The vibration in mine goes away at speeds over 85 miles per hour and is not dependent on accelerating or decelerating as mentioned in above post I can put car in neutral and let it coast from 100 mph down to 55 and the vibration will come on strong at 75 mph and lesson as the car slows down -- this is the same behavior in three tlx v6 sh-awd that I owned and a fourth and fifth used as a demo for a month or so (four 2015 and one 2016). Each one had varying degree of this vibration, but all had it. You also have to be on really smooth pavement or concreate or the road will mask the vibration.
What was your solution to the problem?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:03 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by atl7
What was your solution to the problem?
No solution yet ... Other than Acura acknowledging the issue and it's being looked at in there engineering dept. The 19 inch wheels with pilot as3 did help mitigate the issue at first (it was still there but tolerable to me anyways) it has now gotten to the point after 9000 miles where it is worse.
It is too bad as my last four cars have all been acuras and I never had one issue or complaint with any of them. Acura has known about this since sept 2015 and I am sure they new before that. This seems to point to it not being a simple fix -- as I mentioned in previous posts -- the drivetrain isolation from the frame/interior of the car I suspect is not adequate for this power train.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

The highway vibration I had was very evident to the point I was forced to sale the pos TLX as I literally felt unsafe driving it on the highway. The seat vibrations were apparent even at slower than 50 mph speeds. Add to that the 9 speed had a mind of its own and dual screen display looks worse than Atari games and the responsiveness is comparable to $20 Walmart Android phone with Froyo or Gingerbread. None of these things helped me fall in love with the car. Still the constant vibrations were the nail on the coffin as other things I pointed out were manageable (although embarrassing and disappointing for $45k luxury car). I might consider TLX at some point in the future but only if Acura puts proper wheels/tires, transmission ( would love to see 6 speed manual or 10 speed DCT for V6), and entertainment system (heck, I would be happy with the one from Civic cause it is years ahead of the one from TLX).
Old 07-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Today, I took my TLX SH-AWD in for scheduling another TSB 15-040 (updated with tranny replacement step) and to check on my request to have the rear diff replaced like CR172 to correct the high speed vibration. While there, the dealer told me that Acura wants to wait to do the rear diff...Apparently another TSB is on the way for the vibration problem. My service manager said the Acura rep was vague but also clear that they it may not be necessary to replace the whole rear diff to correct the problem.
mikedub88 (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 11:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by volmoon
Today, I took my TLX SH-AWD in for scheduling another TSB 15-040 (updated with tranny replacement step) and to check on my request to have the rear diff replaced like CR172 to correct the high speed vibration. While there, the dealer told me that Acura wants to wait to do the rear diff...Apparently another TSB is on the way for the vibration problem. My service manager said the Acura rep was vague but also clear that they it may not be necessary to replace the whole rear diff to correct the problem.
This sounds intriguing!! Because getting the differential from across the country I know was a pain and the cost associated with it was very high.

Last edited by #172CR; 07-25-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by volmoon
Looks like it has been a month. Any news? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cube1
Looks like it has been a month. Any news? Thanks.
Unfortunately, nothing to update on my end. I'm currently working through the tranny replacement process. By the that is complete, the service manager said that he hopes to have news.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:45 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Fwd v6

i have a front wheel drive and i notice a the vibration in the passenger seat as well, i recently rotated my tires and there bad shimmy in the steering wheel, i moved it back to the rear. this friday im going to get the rear road forced so see if this fixes the issue a bit. i have the bridgestones tires
Old 09-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also have the vibration problem at high speeds (mostly between 120 km/h and 130 km/h, but sometimes creeps up above 110 km/h). The problem started last winter when I had my stock wheels on with winter tires and I have upgraded my wheels to 19" with Continental DWS 06 since then. After multiple wheel re-balancing efforts, the dealer indicated last spring that it was a known problem for which they were expecting a service bulletin over the summer. I have since submitted an official complaint with Acura Canada Customer Relations and have been told by them that it's a known problem that Acura is working on now... they're expecting a bulletin sometime during the fall.

I argued that the dealer should start debugging on their own since the bulletin is taking too long and the car feels unsafe - they countered that simply replacing parts with the same part number might temporarily fix the problem, but Acura is looking for a long term fix to it (so I need to wait for the bulletin). I'm getting more and more frustrated with this vibration...
Old 09-01-2016, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Cant believe they still havent figured out the fix to this issue.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mondster
Cant believe they still havent figured out the fix to this issue.
They have. I had my transmission replaced in Feb and it's been flawless ever since. The TSB 15-040 provides the steps leading up to replacement.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:00 PM
Advanced

They have. I had my transmission replaced in Feb and it's been flawless ever since. The TSB 15-040 provides the steps leading up to replacement.
This particular issue is apparently not likely to be transmission related, and does not seem to be restricted to just the 2015 model year - it is something else altogether. Fortunately, as far as I can tell so far, my 2016 TLX is not affected by this issue.

The reason that the one poster mentioned his transmission replacement, is because that poster has BOTH the rough shifting transmission related issues AND the vibration issue.

Last edited by cube1; 09-01-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added note about poster who mentioned transmission replacement.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:54 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_cave
I also have the vibration problem at high speeds (mostly between 120 km/h and 130 km/h, but sometimes creeps up above 110 km/h). The problem started last winter when I had my stock wheels on with winter tires and I have upgraded my wheels to 19" with Continental DWS 06 since then. After multiple wheel re-balancing efforts, the dealer indicated last spring that it was a known problem for which they were expecting a service bulletin over the summer. I have since submitted an official complaint with Acura Canada Customer Relations and have been told by them that it's a known problem that Acura is working on now... they're expecting a bulletin sometime during the fall.

I argued that the dealer should start debugging on their own since the bulletin is taking too long and the car feels unsafe - they countered that simply replacing parts with the same part number might temporarily fix the problem, but Acura is looking for a long term fix to it (so I need to wait for the bulletin). I'm getting more and more frustrated with this vibration...
I also have been told by ACR to expect a tsb in the fall timeframe for this issue.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:05 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Be curious to see what that TSB contains.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:53 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Hey guys well today I got my rear wheel road forced balanced and I also got an alignment. I couldn't believe how off my alignment was almost all that toes were really off and the passenger rear wheel was fine. Car has about 10,400 miles on it and the guy ask me what I hit I said nothing. He aligned the car perfectly even sat inside to make sure with the weight thr toe shows 0 degrees they did a great job. The car is so smooth now and that vibration about 70 is gone. Couldn't take it past that but in the upcoming week I will.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:06 AM
CR2
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2016 Acura TLX-SH AWD build date was earlier this summer. I posted at write up of the vibration issue I had on tlxforums, similar to what you describe. In short the Goodyear LS2's were well out of balance, and the dealer swapped them for a set of Michelin's A/S 3+. That cut down significantly on the vibration but it's still present. Your thoughts above about this being some type of drivetrain isolation issue seems consistent with what the service manager at my dealer ship is telling me. He is well aware of the issue, it's something that is discussed regularly with Acura corporate. Apparently there is a fix of some sort in the works that will replace some number of suspensions bushings/mounts. I've been told this issue is now resolved on 2017 models. Fingers crossed Acura issues a TSB to dealers soon.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:37 AM
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 TLX has the problem also

I purchased an 2016 TLX in August. Immediately noticed severe vibrations when driving at highway speed (60-80). Took it to dealer and they said there was a Technical Service Bulletin that referenced that new OEM Goodyear tires were bad. The tires were replaced with new Goodyear, and that helped reduce the vibration, but I still think that the car vibrates more than it should when going 70-75MPH. What other problems have I not been told about that could solve this issue?
Old 09-12-2016, 11:33 AM
CR2
10th Gear

Originally Posted by aussie5
I purchased an 2016 TLX in August. Immediately noticed severe vibrations when driving at highway speed (60-80). Took it to dealer and they said there was a Technical Service Bulletin that referenced that new OEM Goodyear tires were bad. The tires were replaced with new Goodyear, and that helped reduce the vibration, but I still think that the car vibrates more than it should when going 70-75MPH. What other problems have I not been told about that could solve this issue?
Similar story here. I purchased a 2016 TLX-SH AWD this month, car was manufactured in June. Noticed a vibration that occurs around 65-72 mph, and took it back to the dealer the following day. The service manager was well aware of this issue, noted that Acura is working on a fix, and that 2017 models the problem has been addressed. They did check balance on the Goodyear LS2, and noted they were all out of spec. They replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and that made a noticeable improvement, 85% better. However, a subtle vibration still exists. There's clearly a design issue that has to do with isolation of the drivetrain from the cars chassis. The service manager said that Acura is looking at resolving this on 2015/2016 cars with some updated suspension bushings. Hopefully we'll see a service bulletin soon.
9SpeedTran (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

My 15 SH AWD also vibrates the empty passenger seat a bit around 75mph. Hopefully the A/S 3+'s will help.

Opinions on road force balancing for this problem (to maybe eliminate any minor imbalance)??
Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
My 2015 is definitely not tied to the Tires or Wheels. I've had 2 sets of wheels: Stock 18" and optional Acura 19" rims and 3 sets of tires: Goodyear LS2 18", Bridgestone Blizzak 18", and Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 19" on the car. All sets were balanced when installed and the dealer recently re-balanced my 19's on their NSX balancer. Not sure if it's a road force balancer but none of these changes have improved my vibration at all. Still waiting for a service bulletin...
Old 09-12-2016, 08:55 PM
CR2
10th Gear

Originally Posted by max3lv6
My 2015 is definitely not tied to the Tires or Wheels. I've had 2 sets of wheels: Stock 18" and optional Acura 19" rims and 3 sets of tires: Goodyear LS2 18", Bridgestone Blizzak 18", and Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 19" on the car. All sets were balanced when installed and the dealer recently re-balanced my 19's on their NSX balancer. Not sure if it's a road force balancer but none of these changes have improved my vibration at all. Still waiting for a service bulletin...
Indeed there is an inherent problem with the 2015 and 2016 AWD models for which Acura is aware. Rebalancing the tires or replacing with new ones helps to quell the underlying issue (likely some type of resonant frequency in the chassis/driveline), but ultimately that's not the solution. And with time, the vibration will re-appear. The dealer swapped tires on mine, and it improved the issue a decent amount, but the more I drive the car, the more I realize something is not right. And we shouldn't have to settle with a brand new $46k car, touted as "precision crafted performance", that vibrates at highway cruising speeds. Acura just needs to step up and provide a fix because the car is otherwise very enjoyable to drive.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:48 AM
4th Gear

I have the same problem with highway vibration on my 2015 TLX SHAWD. After many complaints, the dealer finally took me seriously and is working on the car. The dealer has had the care for 2.5 weeks now. Apparently two different sets of tires were tried, all break rotors were changed, propeller shaft was changed but to no avail. The issue is still there. I strongly believe there is a manufacturing defect in the differential and nothing short of replacing it will fix the problem. What really concerns me is that if Acura indeed knew what the problems was, they would not be throwing parts at the car but immediately replace the defective part. In my case the evidence is load and clear - they DO NOT KNOW what the problem is. Strange thing is that I did not have the vibration for the first 15-20k I have driven the car because I know I would have felt it. It started 6-8 months after I had gotten the car (new).
Old 09-16-2016, 05:12 PM
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Took my 2016 Acura back to the dealer after driving 1,000 miles on the replacement tires that were supposed to fix the vibration problem. While the new tires were better, still had the issue. So the dealer did a road Force Tire balance and found that one of the new tires that had been installed to fix the vibration problem, actually was also a bad tire. They replace this tire with a new, and with the road force balance and good tires, the issue seems to have been resolved.
noclutch (09-16-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 07:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
even though I no longer have the car, I am still closely following the issue as I am very interested if this gets resolved. We know that the vibration is not fixed in '16, but how about '17? Does anyone have any experience with 2017 and the highway vibrations?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
I believe some of the V6 models came with Bridgestone tires. I checked on Tire Rack, and they are now showing two versions of the Goodyear LS2 tire, with one listed as the "new" OEM. The specs appears to be the same, but the "new" OEM tire costs more, and is on backorder.
FWD V-6 models got Bridgestones. They are passable if you drive like a 60 year old. I remember they were reasonable quiet but easily broke traction at the line, and did not instill confidence when cornering. For those aesthetic people, the 55 series didn't help it any either. (I lived with them for about a year.) I did a plus-1 to Continental ExtremeContact DW S06. They are a good compromise between performance, tire wear, and price... a TLX is a sports sedan at best, not a sports car.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:13 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by aussie5
Took my 2016 Acura back to the dealer after driving 1,000 miles on the replacement tires that were supposed to fix the vibration problem. While the new tires were better, still had the issue. So the dealer did a road Force Tire balance and found that one of the new tires that had been installed to fix the vibration problem, actually was also a bad tire. They replace this tire with a new, and with the road force balance and good tires, the issue seems to have been resolved.
Glad your issue has been resolved... but i am not as lucky as you.
I had the original goodyear LS2's replaced with new OEM specLS2's in accordance with the tech bulletin. Still a vibration
Now I have had Michelin Primacy's on it and still a vibration.
All 3 sets of tires have been hunter road force balanced.
I have had the prop shaft rotated 90 degrees, no fix.
I have had the prop shaft replaced.
172CR had his rear diff replaced but my dealer refuses to do this.
So i'm stuck with vibration until the true cause is known.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikedub88
Glad your issue has been resolved... but i am not as lucky as you.
I had the original goodyear LS2's replaced with new OEM specLS2's in accordance with the tech bulletin. Still a vibration
Now I have had Michelin Primacy's on it and still a vibration.
All 3 sets of tires have been hunter road force balanced.
I have had the prop shaft rotated 90 degrees, no fix.
I have had the prop shaft replaced.
172CR had his rear diff replaced but my dealer refuses to do this.
So i'm stuck with vibration until the true cause is known.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:44 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by #172CR
Okay here's my full conclusion on this one.

8/8/15 - Initial Purchase; 13 miles - When debating on getting the SH-AWD TLX, I wanted to see how it performed. I hadn't had an "automatic" since my first car at 16. 11 Honda/Acura's later, I hopped in the TLX. My test drive was consisted of curvy back roads in the hills around Portland. Never thought I had a need to drive it up and down the freeway (cabin quietness wasn't a big issue to me at the time).

9/1/15 - 1st visit 954 miles - On that first visit to the dealership, the general manager of the dealership drove my car and confirmed the "irregular" vibration. Nothing looked out of sorts with the car, the technician re balanced all the wheels, noted the vibration and wanted me to drive it for a few 100 miles and see if that improved. My initial thought was "This is a brand new model year, a TSB will probably come out figuring out what's causing it and we can fix it at that time" Until then I just wanted it noted within the Acura system something was off, because after all, I liked the car a LOT, just didn't know what was wrong and didn't want to end up with a car wearing on certain mechanical parts faster than it should be. A new case was reported to Techline for my car.

10/10/15-10/14/15 - 2nd visit; Mileage 2503 - We chatted about the vibration and he said to bring the car back, so I did. He completely de mounted each tire, checked the wheel's for imperfections, re mounted and balanced each tire. We looked at all the components under the car, things appeared normal. We drove the car together and we both felt the same vibration in the seats and floor of the car. Not the steering wheel and the cabin didn't shake. Techline had advised to swap tires/wheels with a known good car and see if the vibration persisted. We did that, went for a drive with the new wheels and tires and noticed the vibration was there, but something was different. The vibration threshold was pushed higher than before. Initially it would start around 55mph, but this time it didn't start until 65mph or so. After the drive we brainstormed a bit and realized the SH-AWD Tech pack tires had Bridgestones vs my Advance had the Goodyear LS2 tires (which I hated!), we were afraid it was an internal component though because the same issue was there, albeit at a higher MPH. That was when we first thought of the differential since the tendency of the vibration was in line with differential problems (felt from rear, in seats, not steering wheel etc). The district representative was involved now, a brand new $46,000 top of the model shouldn't be having issues like this. The rep goodwill'd a set of new tires since that helped a lot. We all kept our eyes on the TSB's hoping something would eventually come out.

2/12/16 - 3rd visit - Acura puts out TSB 16-009 - Vibration Felt in Floor at Highway Speed. This seemed to fit my condition exactly. The only problem was my VIN was not in the range of affected VIN's. The fix was fairly easy though (Disconnect and rotate the rear differential flange 90 degrees counterclockwise and replace the propeller shaft bolts) and the dealership said to come by and we could try it. The markings on my rear differential shown this had already been corrected from the factory. We still tried it, no change, so put the driveshaft back. Feeling defeated, they said to bring the car back and leave it with them, which I agreed to.

3/28/16-3/31/16 - 4th visit; mileage 11,000 - The tech had an idea to disconnect the drive shaft to try and eliminate the rear (differential) causing the problem. Everyone felt if the vibration still was there, it would be coming from the front of the vehicle as those axles were engaged and being powered. Also, he took each wheel off and force/road balanced them. Both he and another senior technician took the car out and both verified it was still there. Notes from district rep were to monitor the condition and see if it gets worse <--- After all this, didn't like that very much

​4/7/16-6/8/16 - 5th visit (Mileage unknown as I don't have the full write up yet, ~11,xxx) This was the big one. They started out wanting to completely eliminate the Variable Cylinder Management being the culprit for corporate. At least in my case the VCM is not directly related. They had the HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) connected while driving, monitoring the VCM, it was NOT engaging during the times the vehicle was shaking. As mine would shake on acceleration, we didn't think it was, but just to be sure. To further rule out concerns; front engine mount replaced and neutralized, still there, rear engine mount replaced and neutralized. Still there. Back to the drawing board. The regional Acura rep is fully engaged to correct the issue. They were directly working with Torrance regarding it too. Techline had the dealership drive it to see if they could get to a high enough speed to get OUT of the vibration, and they did, my threshold was 85mph (I had not gone that fast). They advised the technician to drive it through the vibration zone (65mph-85mph) then put in neutral and coast back through the zone and see if the vibration is there. It was, so to them they wanted to try new front axles first, in doing so, the technician noted the front passenger wheel bearing had an abnormal build up of grease on it, felt it had gone bad, so that was replaced at that time. Vibration still present. Since the rear differential was still actively engaged, they wanted to try new rear axles. Vibration still present. With Acura corporate actively involved and wanting a resolution, the next step was the rear differential A part like this carries a large purchase price, not only from the expense of the part but the labor to install it. It's also not a component that's readily available for such a new car. The differential had to come from New Jersey, and being in Oregon, delivery time was 7 business days. Found out late in the following week the differential was installed, and to all of our surprise, this remedied the ABNORMAL vibration my car had.

The circumstances surrounding my case were taken over by Acura corporate earlier on, through their engineers, believed it to be something more simple. I think they thought the chances it could be a major component like the differential or even transmission were relatively low but wanted to systematically try more inexpensive parts first as things started to get more and more carried away.
The dealership and I wanted to try the differential earlier on, but with the expense of a part like that, it needed to come from Acura. I can't say enough praise and thanks from the dealership staff, to the district representative and even Client Relations. All were on the same page with acknowledging the issue and making sure I was happy in the end. Communication with multiple parties isn't easy, and I know there were things lost in translation, but in the end I felt pretty good with it all

Total: 73 days the car was in service out of 305 days of total ownership (24% of the time I've owned the car...I didn't even have it!)

A couple things to keep in mind;
  1. All v6's due have some vibration in them naturally, FWD and AWD, as this is the nature of the ZF transmission and the gears
  2. The VCM itself does also cause some vibration at cruising speeds
  3. My car vibrated above and beyond the norm and was felt in seats and floor but not steering wheel or rest of car
  4. The conditions of my abonormal vibration were on accelertion, between 55mph-85mph, on deceleration
  5. My vibration at speeds made road trips uncomfortable, and had passengers asking if something was wrong with my car

And what we tried to remedy this problem
  • Re-balance the OEM wheels/tires
  • De-mounted the tire and re mounted
  • Tried set of wheels/tires from another TLX
  • New tires on my OEM wheels
  • Force balanced the OEM wheels and new tires
  • Alignment
  • New wheel bearing
  • Disconnected the driveshaft for a bit
  • New front motor mount
  • New rear motor mount
  • Neutralized the motor mount
  • New front axles
  • New rear axles
  • Finally - New rear differential
Hi 172CR,

Currently, I am fighting with the dealer to get the vibration fixed. They have replaced similar items as they did on car. Somehow they are adamant it is the tires. Anyway, I keep suggesting to them to change the rear differential, but so far no bite. BTW, since you got the new differential installed, there have been no degradation in smoothness of the car? The reason I am asking this question is my car was OK when new and only started to exhibit the vibration problem after approximately 25k kms. It has gotten worse ever since. And yes the better tires (Michelin AS/3 +) do improve the vibration felt in the car, but they merely mask it. Just like you said.
Mgord (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 05:53 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TLX Vibration

I bought a new 2015 TLX SHAWD. The vibration started from day one. I thought the tires needed to be re-balanced.
I have installed 10 new tires and have had them Roadforce balanced. I even had the Acura dealership re-balance them. They kept telling me that it wasn't the tires, but I didn't believe them. They said that it was as good as it gets. Never buy another Acura. They realize they have a problem and wont fix it or stand by it.They told me that they have had issues with the motor mounts and that the motor is what is causing the vibration. My vibration is from 72 to 80 mph.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mgord
I bought a new 2015 TLX SHAWD. The vibration started from day one. I thought the tires needed to be re-balanced.
I have installed 10 new tires and have had them Roadforce balanced. I even had the Acura dealership re-balance them. They kept telling me that it wasn't the tires, but I didn't believe them. They said that it was as good as it gets. Never buy another Acura. They realize they have a problem and wont fix it or stand by it.They told me that they have had issues with the motor mounts and that the motor is what is causing the vibration. My vibration is from 72 to 80 mph.
Given what I have read, they are right, it is NOT the tires. There is something else going on, so calm down and work WITH your dealer so Acura knows they have another customer with this issue. Based on what I have read, Acura is working on it. Make the dealer your advocate, not your enemy, and you will get further.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jaws1234
Hi 172CR,

Currently, I am fighting with the dealer to get the vibration fixed. They have replaced similar items as they did on car. Somehow they are adamant it is the tires. Anyway, I keep suggesting to them to change the rear differential, but so far no bite. BTW, since you got the new differential installed, there have been no degradation in smoothness of the car? The reason I am asking this question is my car was OK when new and only started to exhibit the vibration problem after approximately 25k kms. It has gotten worse ever since. And yes the better tires (Michelin AS/3 +) do improve the vibration felt in the car, but they merely mask it. Just like you said.
Originally Posted by cube1
Given what I have read, they are right, it is NOT the tires. There is something else going on, so calm down and work WITH your dealer so Acura knows they have another customer with this issue. Based on what I have read, Acura is working on it. Make the dealer your advocate, not your enemy, and you will get further.
Feel free to reach out to Acura Client Relations as well if you feel the need for some additional assistance however as far as the degradation, yes and no. The tires mask the remaining vibration substantially and are the first line of defense which is why Acura Tech-line has pushed so hard on this matter. As the tires wear/harden with mileage, the remaining vibration does creep in to a certain point, but I saw no further penetration of it.

With that said, I've heard rumors of the new TSB coming out and other members have mentioned a plan of attack that's 3 fold, replacing upper transmission mount, front engine mount bracket and rear bushings in the sub-frame. I have no idea if/how this will affect further vibration remediation as mine had largely been solved however if there is a vibration that creeps in from the rear of the car (i.e. differential) then changing these parts out at each juncture from the cause of the vibration through into the car will help reduce whatever creeps into the cabin.

I agree wholeheartedly with partnering with the dealer as an advocate instead of butting heads with them. Most of the time they are taking direction from Acura corporate so give them a reason to disagree with Acura by partnering with them. You catch more bee's with honey as the saying goes...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 TLX-AWD Vibration - Escalating