2.4L I4 Tech | BWP/Ebony | Deck Lid Spoiler | Rear Splash Guards | (Partial) Aero Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:25 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2.4L I4 Tech | BWP/Ebony | Deck Lid Spoiler | Rear Splash Guards | (Partial) Aero Kit

Ordered on Wed, July 9, 2014
Delivered on Sat, August 23, 2014
Replaces: 2011 Acura TSX Base Model (also White/Ebony)
Link to pix: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/52koj8lup...Yopa2WYBa?dl=0

Spoiler Alert: I took the exterior pix on my way home from the dealership on Saturday, so there’s nothing wrong with your eyes. The aero kit is still “in transit”.

Like some others on these forums, I couldn’t really wrap my head around the aero kit, particularly the front and rear pieces. They look fine when you view the car from the side, but I just wasn’t thrilled with how they looked when viewed straight on in the front and especially the rear. Purely a matter of personal preference, of course. If you went with the full kit and you’re happy with it, that’s awesome. I just think Acura could have done a better job - integrated into new front/rear bumpers would have been my preference.

So I decided to just go with the side underbody spoilers and rear splash guards. Unfortunately, despite promises from my dealer that the parts would be in by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest, they still have not arrived at the dealership a week later. I’m just glad I decided to pick the car up on Saturday without them, rather than waiting for them to come in. But I waited 6 weeks for the TLX to come in after I ordered it (which was torture), so hopefully they will come in next week, and I’ll post more pix when the stage coach finally arrives from California with the rest of my accessories. It will give you some good before and after shots to compare. Kinda curious to see how that will turn out myself.

The interior shots were taken during the week, since it dawned on me that I never took any. Been having some fun playing around with different wallpaper for the center stack, but that’s just me

Initial Impressions: First of all, no one will ever confuse me with a professional photographer. All these pix were taken with my iPhone 5, because it’s the only camera I own. Other than obfuscating (ooo…nice word) my license plate in a couple of shots, they’re straight from the camera as is. And it was really overcast when I picked my car up, so the colors are a little funky in some shots. As has been said many times before, this car simply needs to be seen in person - even the professional shots do not do this car justice. Whatever color combination you’re interested in, whatever accessories you’re thinking about, go to as many dealers as you need to in order to see them in person. Even the stock 4-cylinder wheels look so much better in person. Much better than the stock wheels on my TSX. They’re actually quite shiny and the inside has this piano black enamel (??) coating that really looks good once you shine up the tires. Kinda like the black underside of the outside rearview mirrors - they’re really very shiny. Would I Iike to throw some 18” or 19” chromes on there? Sure, who wouldn’t? But I can’t justify what Acura is charging for those tire/wheel combinations right now. Maybe down the road, we’ll see.

Coming from a 2011 TSX Base Model, this is pretty much a quantum leap in almost every aspect. I don’t think you’ll find a comparably equipped car feature for feature in this price range. Back in May when my lease ran out (it’s been extended several times waiting for the TLX to come out), I was debating just getting a 2014 TSX or TL - this car was definitely worth the wait. At the time, I just figured the TLX was going to be completely out of my price range. But getting all the tech they packed into this car at the price point they decided on is a steal in my book. My lease rate only went up $19/month and my car insurance went up $10/month - felt like I was stealing the car off the lot when I drove it home. And it’s a lot of fun to drive, even peppier than my TSX, which I was quite happy with. Still have to remind myself that it only has a 4 cylinder under the hood. I’d be the first to admit that I’ve had TL envy for many years, but I think I’m over that now
Old 08-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Steve, you posted in the Photo Section. Why didn't you post pictures? That's what this section is for!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:36 PM
10th Gear

I didn't post pictures because although I've been reading Acurazine for the last couple of months, I just registered as a Member. So I can't post pictures inline until I've been a member for 15 days with 5+ posts (unless I read the rules wrong). So for now, you'll just have to click that link at the top of the thread if you want to see the pictures
Old 08-31-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Virtual Steve
I didn't post pictures because although I've been reading Acurazine for the last couple of months, I just registered as a Member. So I can't post pictures inline until I've been a member for 15 days with 5+ posts (unless I read the rules wrong). So for now, you'll just have to click that link at the top of the thread if you want to see the pictures
Thanks Steve - car looks great! The white/ebony is a great combo on this car and I think the decklid spoiler works really well. Enjoy!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 PM
__M|M__

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
Well actually Steve you can, using a host like Photobucket or Flickr. You just upload your pics on said host and then post the img code here.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-27-2015)
Old 08-31-2014, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Whoa, how did you get your Apple OS desktop to show up on the screen?
Old 08-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
It's probably a screen shot.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:41 PM
10th Gear

Yep, just took a screen shot of my OS X Desktop, saved it to a flash drive, connected the flash drive to the USB port in the center stack (you can see the flash drive inserted at the bottom of the last 2 pix), and then just followed the instructions in the Owner's Manual (Page 224).
Old 09-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool ????

Ordered on Wed, July 9, 2014
Delivered on Sat, August 23, 2014
Replaces: 2011 Acura TSX Base Model (also White/Ebony)
Link to pix: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/52koj8lup...Yopa2WYBa?dl=0

Spoiler Alert: I took the exterior pix on my way home from the dealership on Saturday, so there’s nothing wrong with your eyes. The aero kit is still “in transit”.

Like some others on these forums, I couldn’t really wrap my head around the aero kit, particularly the front and rear pieces. They look fine when you view the car from the side, but I just wasn’t thrilled with how they looked when viewed straight on in the front and especially the rear. Purely a matter of personal preference, of course. If you went with the full kit and you’re happy with it, that’s awesome. I just think Acura could have done a better job - integrated into new front/rear bumpers would have been my preference.

So I decided to just go with the side underbody spoilers and rear splash guards. Unfortunately, despite promises from my dealer that the parts would be in by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest, they still have not arrived at the dealership a week later. I’m just glad I decided to pick the car up on Saturday without them, rather than waiting for them to come in. But I waited 6 weeks for the TLX to come in after I ordered it (which was torture), so hopefully they will come in next week, and I’ll post more pix when the stage coach finally arrives from California with the rest of my accessories. It will give you some good before and after shots to compare. Kinda curious to see how that will turn out myself.

The interior shots were taken during the week, since it dawned on me that I never took any. Been having some fun playing around with different wallpaper for the center stack, but that’s just me

Initial Impressions: First of all, no one will ever confuse me with a professional photographer. All these pix were taken with my iPhone 5, because it’s the only camera I own. Other than obfuscating (ooo…nice word) my license plate in a couple of shots, they’re straight from the camera as is. And it was really overcast when I picked my car up, so the colors are a little funky in some shots. As has been said many times before, this car simply needs to be seen in person - even the professional shots do not do this car justice. Whatever color combination you’re interested in, whatever accessories you’re thinking about, go to as many dealers as you need to in order to see them in person. Even the stock 4-cylinder wheels look so much better in person. Much better than the stock wheels on my TSX. They’re actually quite shiny and the inside has this piano black enamel (??) coating that really looks good once you shine up the tires. Kinda like the black underside of the outside rearview mirrors - they’re really very shiny. Would I Iike to throw some 18” or 19” chromes on there? Sure, who wouldn’t? But I can’t justify what Acura is charging for those tire/wheel combinations right now. Maybe down the road, we’ll see.

Coming from a 2011 TSX Base Model, this is pretty much a quantum leap in almost every aspect. I don’t think you’ll find a comparably equipped car feature for feature in this price range. Back in May when my lease ran out (it’s been extended several times waiting for the TLX to come out), I was debating just getting a 2014 TSX or TL - this car was definitely worth the wait. At the time, I just figured the TLX was going to be completely out of my price range. But getting all the tech they packed into this car at the price point they decided on is a steal in my book. My lease rate only went up $19/month and my car insurance went up $10/month - felt like I was stealing the car off the lot when I drove it home. And it’s a lot of fun to drive, even peppier than my TSX, which I was quite happy with. Still have to remind myself that it only has a 4 cylinder under the hood. I’d be the first to admit that I’ve had TL envy for many years, but I think I’m over that now
Hi! How come you can get the MAC OS on your Top Dash screen? Im interested

Old 09-04-2014, 11:42 PM
10th Gear

On your Mac, CMD + Shift + 3 will take a screenshot of whatever you've got displayed and will save it as a .PNG file on your desktop. You'll need to convert that .PNG file to a .JPG or .BMP file and save it to the root of a thumb drive in order to use the image as the Wallpaper for your TLX. Then, just insert that thumb drive into the USB port in the center stack and follow the instructions for Wallpaper Setup from Page 224 of the Owner's Manual. I won't repeat those instructions here, unless you really want me to =)

Once you've done that, you have to select whatever Wallpaper you decide on as the default Wallpaper for your TLX. Then you can just hit the Info button on the center stack to display it, or use the Voice Command button and say "Display Wallpaper".
Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Ohhhh. He just made the screenshot his wallpaper. I think some of us thought you actually were able to link our mac OS to the screen.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:10 AM
10th Gear

LOL. That would be one awesome mod! But no, I haven't quite figured out how to get my TLX to run OS X. I figured I'd wait for Yosemite to come out before I try that one :P But it does freak people out when they first see it on the nav screen.

I did finally get a call from the dealership yesterday to let me know that my side underbody spoilers finally arrived from California. I have an appointment on Tuesday to get them installed, so I should have some before and after pix to post for anyone that's interested in seeing what that looks like without the front and rear pieces. We'll see how that turns out.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

I'm inclined to move this thread because of no pictures.

Just start a free PhotoBucket.com account. Download your pictures there. Then, copy the IMG code from any picture to paste here on AcuraZine. You can post pictures today.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:41 AM
10th Gear

Old 09-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Beautiful BWP. That is definitely the best color choice.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:14 PM
10th Gear

Finally, the side underbody spoilers arrived from California and have been installed by the dealer. So here are the "after" shots to go with the "before" shots above. I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out so far, with just the side underbody spoilers and the rear splash guards. At least for now

That "gap" in the last 2 pix between the body and the spoiler is just a shadow. There is zero gap in person. Again, these are just iPhone photos, so that's the best I can do.
The following 2 users liked this post by Virtual Steve:
ACCURATEin (09-19-2014), Cmyoung (09-21-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I like it. I figure the side skirts would not flow (line up lower?) with the front and rear bumpers, but it does.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:57 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its that mac OS pic in there on the nav screen
Old 09-19-2014, 12:17 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Nice car! Excellent color choice. Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:06 PM
3rd Gear

Finally, the side underbody spoilers arrived from California and have been installed by the dealer. So here are the "after" shots to go with the "before" shots above. I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out so far, with just the side underbody spoilers and the rear splash guards. At least for now

That "gap" in the last 2 pix between the body and the spoiler is just a shadow. There is zero gap in person. Again, these are just iPhone photos, so that's the best I can do.
These are GREAT PICS and because you posted these I've decided to do the same! I ordered the side underbody spoiler and it'll be installed THIS thursday!!! I was worried it wouldn't look complete but you proved me wrong with your pictures!

Like you I couldn’t really wrap my brain around the aero kit, particularly the front and rear pieces. They look fine when you view the car from the side, but I just wasn't thrilled with how they looked when viewed straight on in the front and especially the rear!

I'll be posting pics soon!!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Team Owner

Not bad at all. I wish Acura would make them not look so bolt-on.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
very nice!

did the car already came with some tint to the windows?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Not bad at all. I wish Acura would make them not look so bolt-on.
I agree...The side skirts really stick out. With my 2012 TL, they would replace the bottom part with a more agressive/flared out skirts while the front/rear skirts really were tacked on.

Now on the TLX, it seems the opposite, the front/rear skirts are better integrated than the side skirts (imo).

I just hop they'll come out with a kit like the 2009 TSX was, or have something coming straight from the factory but think that will never happen.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:06 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by fryrice
very nice!

did the car already came with some tint to the windows?
Pretty sure there is "some tint" standard on the front window, not sure about the rest (not very tinted, if at all). So I had the dealer do a 50% tint on the side and rear windows before I took delivery. This was the first time I've ever done window tints, and I thought 35% tint would be a little too dark. Especially living in New York, where the chances of being pulled over are inversely proportional to the percentage of window tinting. Not that I'd ever go over the speed limit or anything like that. Well, at least not today. You know, with the blizzard and all
Old 05-04-2015, 05:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that combo looks great. I too don't really like the front and rear parts of the kit, so I just decided not to do the kit at all. Maybe just do mudguards and spoiler...

I have to ask though, why does your top display look like you have a laptop hooked up to the car?
Old 05-04-2015, 04:33 PM
10th Gear

LOL. Yeah that's just me being me. Much as I would love to try running OS X on my TLX, I'm sure that would void my warranty big time. It's actually just a screen shot. Replacing the default display images is pretty easy. See Post #8 in this thread for the details.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:15 PM
4th Gear

Reality steve::

It may be a long shot since this thread is old but could you tell me the tint % on yours. I'm having a hard time deciding. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2016, 10:16 PM
4th Gear

Virtual steve::

It may be a long shot since this thread is old but could you tell me the tint % on yours. I'm having a hard time deciding. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2016, 10:31 AM
10th Gear

This was actually the first time I did window tinting on any of my cars, so I also had a tough time choosing the percentage. Eventually, I decided to go with 50%, because I had a feeling 35% was going to be a little too dark (anything lower than 35% was definitely too dark for my tastes). I wasn't really trying to go too much "gangsta" with the tint, so I'm happy with the way it turned out. Just enough to keep the car a little cooler in the summer (black interior) without giving the authorities another reason to pull me over (like Sammy Hagar, I can't drive 55). Hope that helps
Old 12-19-2016, 03:23 PM
4th Gear

Thanks so much!