Will a cold air intake Lean out the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Will a cold air intake Lean out the engine?

So as the title states will a cold air intake lean out my engine? I have a 2016 Acura TLX V6 and i just recently installed a RV6 HFPC, RV6 J-pipe and Circuit werks catback. It feels like a completely different car now. The exhaust opened up a lot of power on this car. Now my next upgrades will be the AEM cold air intake and XLR8 light weight pulley. But I'm afraid that the cold air intake might lean out the car due to so much air flowing through the engine now without a tune. I know a lot will say the CAI isn't worth it but AEM is claiming 12hp. I will be doing a DYNO before and after the intake and will post up the numbers if i do end up getting the intake. Thank you in advance for any help!
Old 08-03-2019, 02:02 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe go with an Injen tuned intake. On their site it's labelled as 2015-17 TSX CAI. I also checked with a rep and he said it would not lean out the air flow at all.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:56 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you are already probably running lean....
if you cant or have the ability to tune, who cares if you run lean?? you have already modded to the point of no return
Old 08-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Hmm - I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the factory intake is actually better than the aftermarket ones - but, I do not know. I would really like to see some actual independent test showing some improvement.

Of course I do believe that improvements could be had w/aftermarket exhaust kits...

Anybody have any idea why the manufacturer would use a pulley that was not optimal? Or, is there also a downside to a "lightweight pulley" so that's why they don't use it?