Has anyone used CleanBoost Maxx in their TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Has anyone used CleanBoost Maxx in their TLX?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
well, the test was pretty clear.

it's just a supplement tho, you would have to ALWAYS pour it in your tank when ever you wanted that higher power.

i'm sold and want to use it in my TL

Last edited by justnspace; 07-07-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Same here.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I would not recommend it. But don't take my word for it, take the work of Honda/Acura which does not recommend any fuel or oil additve to be used in your vehicle. The bottle of CleanBoost they showed in the video of 16 onces costs $36.97 + $4.99 (S&H) at Amazon. If you believe the contents of CleanBoost to be an octane booster then you could always just go to Summit Racing and purchase a 32 ounce can for $29.99 + $8.95 (S&H) (Depending on where you live) from Summit Racing. I have to wonder on the longevity of the engine and fuel system by adding these type of additives, but Honda/Acura knows best, so I think I will pass.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:30 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^my motor is from a junk yard. IDGAF

if it fails, swap another junkyard engine in
Old 07-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace

Old 07-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Well then, what happens if you try using "racing fuel"? I've got a Marathon gas station just a few blocks from my house that sells the stuff, I use it in my old lawn mower that was chocking on that 15% ethanol shit the regular gas stations sell - I heard/read that ethanol added to gasoline these days just kills small lawn mower type engines, sometimes after they're only a year or two old even! Put in that racing fuel, and it runs great! (I just hope it won't blow up some day!)
Old 01-02-2018, 12:57 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher.
Well then, what happens if you try using "racing fuel"? I've got a Marathon gas station just a few blocks from my house that sells the stuff, I use it in my old lawn mower that was chocking on that 15% ethanol shit the regular gas stations sell - I heard/read that ethanol added to gasoline these days just kills small lawn mower type engines, sometimes after they're only a year or two old even! Put in that racing fuel, and it runs great! (I just hope it won't blow up some day!)
Two things:
  • Racing fuel has LESS power than regular gasoline regardless of whether you're talking about E0, E10, or E15; so, racing fuel will not in any way make your engine blow up.
  • The reason why fuel with ethanol messes with small engines has nothing to do with how the engines run, it has to do with the fuel stability when the engines sit for weeks or months on end without being started. Either routinely start your small engines on at least a monthly basis, put fuel stabilizer in when you store the motor for the off-season, drain the fuel out before storage, or use racing fuel or AvGas prior to storage.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Two things:
  • Racing fuel has LESS power than regular gasoline regardless of whether you're talking about E0, E10, or E15; so, racing fuel will not in any way make your engine blow up.
  • [*]

Hmm - well I knew about the alcohol/storage issue. But an old lawn mower repair guy said that running fuel with ehtanol in lawn mower engines was bad for them even without the storage issue - my mower was hard to start, sputtered, had to keep it reved high or it would stall... When I switched to "leaded racing fuel" from the Marathon station it started right up easy and ran like a charm without keeping the engine revved - I'd find it hard to believe that kind of difference could be caused by a "placebo" affect on my mine? Dramatic difference in how the engine ran and started... Before I switched gas, I was basically ready to throw it away because repair would have cost more than just buying a new one.

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-02-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Latent car nut

Good to know it won't cause the engine to be any more likely to blow up I thought, in my ignorance, that it was more powerful. Is it simply able to still ignite under more adverse conditions than lower octane fuel?
All gasoline grade fuels ignite/burn when the spark event occurs, the thing about premium fuel is it can withstand higher pressures/temperatures without spontaneously igniting prior to the flame front reaching small pockets of end gas in the combustion chamber.

Hmm - well I knew about the alcohol/storage issue. But an old lawn mower repair guy said that running fuel with ehtanol in lawn mower engines was bad for them even without the storage issue - my mower was hard to start, sputtered, had to keep it reved high or it would stall... When I switched to "leaded racing fuel" from the Marathon station it started right up easy and ran like a charm without keeping the engine revved - I'd find it hard to believe that kind of difference could be caused by a "placebo" affect on my mine? Dramatic difference in how the engine ran and started... Before I switched gas, I was basically ready to throw it away because repair would have cost more than just buying a new one.
Are we talking about a pre-1970 lawn mower? If not then leaded fuel is not necessary. That said, when you ran the racing fuel, because of its composition, it more than likely cleaned out latent deposits in the carburetor from the E10 or E15 fuel (oddly enough, it isn't the ethanol per-se which causes the deposits, it's more a matter of the fuel formulation/additive package of modern fuel which causes the issues).

Once you got your fuel system cleaned out, if you had gone back to E10/E15 and used a fuel stabilizer (one of the very few justifiable uses of such products), you would most likely have had no further issues.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Are we talking about a pre-1970 lawn mower? If not then leaded fuel is not necessary. That said, when you ran the racing fuel, because of its composition, it more than likely cleaned out latent deposits in the carburetor from the E10 or E15 fuel (oddly enough, it isn't the ethanol per-se which causes the deposits, it's more a matter of the fuel formulation/additive package of modern fuel which causes the issues).

Once you got your fuel system cleaned out, if you had gone back to E10/E15 and used a fuel stabilizer (one of the very few justifiable uses of such products), you would most likely have had no further issues.
Oh, I totally was not trying to use leaded fuel on purpose - my goal was to try the only fuel I could find that I was told was ethanol free.

I had been using that red stuff "Stabil" knowing about the problems of leaving old gas in my mower over the winter. I have no reason to doubt you about the mower being restored simply because the racing gas somehow cleaned it out. I can try "regular" gas again next summer.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Seem great so far

So I bought of this and put it in my tank. Side note right next to the fix a flat can there is a mini funnel tube you can put in the gas cap entrance so it doesn’t run down the drain hole and land under the tire. I have it all mixed in a full tank and I feel pretty impressed so far. My car 2015 SHAWD TLX has about 30k miles. It is like those rare times where your car feels peppy and strong on a cold morning but it feels like that all the time now. So if it really stays this way then I am sold on it. Pretty cheap if you buy the big bottle and only put in 1/2 ounce in each tank. I will update again in a couple weeks.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:56 AM
Pro

What? Only 1/2 oz per tank? Can it seriously have any real effect with quantities that small, or is it just placebo?
Old 01-27-2018, 12:09 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
^^^ That's what I was thinking.........
Old 01-27-2018, 11:47 PM
Latent car nut

What? Only 1/2 oz per tank? Can it seriously have any real effect with quantities that small, or is it just placebo?
More like l'huile de serpent.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:42 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Observation

I find it interesting that so many things in life we base on subjective impressions. When we are torn between two different cars that have similar horsepower figures we go by how we “feel”. While reading wards ten best engines list for last year I remember one reviewer stated on an engine for the Mercedes c300 that even though it has less power it was the way it was delivered or felt that was impressive. We buy clothes based on how we perceive they look and feel on us. We join religion based on how we feel. We date and marry people based on how we feel wither they are defined as hot or sexy. So why is it even though we have a dyno (objective data) and people say they can feel a difference (subjective data), that we somehow still need further proof because we are cynical or are afraid of being taken advantage of or told lies. Are 2 dynos enough? or maybe 3? I am not trying to be a jerk and slam anyone or force my impression on others but isn’t that what it is all about, the subjective? We like things in life because we feel it is a little better compared to something else. This stuff is dirt cheap? For me 4 bucks a month from an 8 ounce bottle I bought to try it out. I like it and I feel it works. If you buy the 32 ounce about $1.50 a month (I fill up twice a month). If no one else wants to try it out that is cool too. Just an observation I wanted to point out.

I had enough evidence for me to think it was worth it to try it out. Now I do admit that if there was not even one dyno I may have been more hesitant to try it or believe it.

Last edited by ultrapogi; 01-28-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Latent car nut

You've been scammed; plain and simple.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:11 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I started using this stuff about 2 months ago as well. Largely as an experiment. I'm all about empirical evidence but I'm too cheap to pay for two dyno's to show a before an after with this stuff, or much of anything else for that matter.

Butt dyno's are obviously subjective when there's not a night and day difference. And even MPG's are difficult to use in a practical way to show efficiency since it's literally impossible to control all the variables. Ambient temps, wind and traffic conditions just to name a few. Having said that, I'm all about trying something if it's free or reasonably priced. I've used Seafoam, Techron, acetone (yes, in the tank) and a few different Lucas additives. Some of those are more cleaners than (claimed...) performance additives. However, I never noticed any difference, even when paying attention, which is usually where the claim of placebo effects come from.

However, after trying this stuff, I'm about 50/50 on whether it makes a difference or not. That's better than the 0/100 that I was with the other stuff so it's a big step up I'd swear I noticed a power difference. And my mileage is definitely up. But again - different conditions? It's been getting cooler over the last month and I'd estimate that I've been doing more highway trips with Uber, rather than running around the city as much. Either way, I'm a practical person. I work in the science industry and unless there's hard evidence, I'm not going to be 100% sold. Moreso, the MSDS on this stuff has naphtha petroleum and naphthalene as the primary ingredients which doesn't help their case.

I used the 8oz bottle in about 2 months (with the high mileage I put on the car) but I've ordered another and plan on doing a little experiment. The 8oz covered about 240 gallons, which is about 16 fill-ups. I ordered another 8oz bottle and this time, I'm going to switch off every tank and keep track of mileage. No, conditions won't be exact of course. But with 8 data points with and without the additive, I should have a decent idea of the trend. I never tried anything like this with the others since I couldn't identify even a minor change in power and MPG's followed the same trend they always had.

The claim with this stuff is that is improves "efficiency" which hurts the case even more since that's the same claim from crap like those gasoline magnets that you put on your fuel line. They were supposed to "line up" the gasoline molecules or something like that, so they burned more efficiently. If the stuff really improves efficiency, you should see both a power increase and better MPG's. Oddly enough, when ChrisFix did his own testing, he saw a good amount of power increase on the dyno with a Civic Si (about a 6% increase or so) but never saw better mileage when he did a long highway drive with his Corvette. He sent out a bunch of bottles to some of his subscribers and had them send the data back. The results were mixed, but the average between them all came back as a slight increase in MPG's. Probably too small to really account for any standard deviation. Check out his videos on YouTube. Kind of interesting.

Anyway, I'll post my results up here once I have some data. Although it's not a super-robust test, I'm likely going to base my future use of the stuff on the results.