TLX Speaker sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TLX Speaker sizes?

For those that already own the tlx. Does anyone know what the tlx speaker sizes are for the base model? I Pre-ordered mine, but i'm trying to buy things ahead of time for my audio build.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Details are available here: http://www.panasonic.com/business/au...e_Final8_7.pdf

JLawrence
Old 08-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Link above was truncated when pasted. Here's the breakdown:

2 hybrid titanium dome tweeters

Three 8 centimeter Super Dynamic Range (SDR) speakers with double-press polypropylene cone, providing low distortion and extended bass.

Four 17 centimeter Super Dynamic Range (SDR) speakers in the front and rear doors featuring extremely lightweight designs.

One 20 centimeter Super Low Distortion Driver (SLDD) Subwoofer with extended bass response to 20 Hz.

DSP Multi-Channel Power Amplilfer with 490 Watts of system power.

The system is made by Panasonic.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
General interest question. Where is the sub located in the car?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
behind the back seat centered in that large grille assembly.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

well I finally got my tlx friday.

The TLX sound system consists of 10 speakers of for the upgraded ELS system

There are four 6.5" speakers (front doors and rear deck)
There are two 1" tweeters
There is one 8" inch subwoofer (very underwhelming)
There is one 3" inch center speaker
There are two 3" inch speakers in the rear doors

The Base model just has the 4 (6.5" speakers in front and rear deck, 2 tweeters, and the sub)
Old 09-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If the sub is the only real weakness, I wonder if that should be my first upgrade. Could I get fix this problem with $200 at Car Toys? Or would I also need a better amp to go along with it?

I'd rather not screw with wiring, amps, etc, but a higher quality sub would be no big deal if that's all I need. I don't need crazy thumping like a teenager, but I want it to at least be in balance.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

i mean it's your own personal preference, but problems you will run into is that the stock amp of the car doesn't send enough power to the subwoofer. So even installing a more powerful 8inch sub i don't personally think would solve the problem. May need some form of an amp to add to increase the power.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Advanced

I just don't know enough about audio components to figure out the weak link. Off the top of my head, 490 watts (current ELS amp setup) sounds like plenty, but 8" is on the smaller side. I wonder if the issue is just that the sub needs to be bigger? Also, I don't really know the quality of the components. Traditionally, it seems like even upgraded stock stereos tend to be poor quality components. I wonder how the 8" ELS sub compares to the typical quality you'd see at Car Toys for $200... My guess is it's a lot worse.
The following users liked this post:
xiaosongz (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexboculon
I just don't know enough about audio components to figure out the weak link. Off the top of my head, 490 watts (current ELS amp setup) sounds like plenty, but 8" is on the smaller side. I wonder if the issue is just that the sub needs to be bigger? Also, I don't really know the quality of the components. Traditionally, it seems like even upgraded stock stereos tend to be poor quality components. I wonder how the 8" ELS sub compares to the typical quality you'd see at Car Toys for $200... My guess is it's a lot worse.
I have pretty much same thought as yours. I remember I've read some articles states that the stock speakers are actually crap compares to the aftermarket one, but I am not a expert so I am not sure.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
The 8 inch sub size has always been an issue for some. It's quite common, at least it has been since I had my 3G and 4g
Old 10-02-2014, 04:16 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xiaosongz
I have pretty much same thought as yours. I remember I've read some articles states that the stock speakers are actually crap compares to the aftermarket one, but I am not a expert so I am not sure.
That is definitely true about the stock speakers. Only getting about 20watts rms to each of the 6.5" speakers. Just isn't enough power. I changed out the rear deck speakers which wasn't too hard.It made a nice difference so far. Will be adding front door speakers tomorrow and then adding an amp for the speakers and then completely getting rid of the 8inch subwoofer and putting in an aftermarket sub. I took the 8inch subwoofer to car audio shop and he basically laughed at it.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jamaica47
That is definitely true about the stock speakers. Only getting about 20watts rms to each of the 6.5" speakers. Just isn't enough power. I changed out the rear deck speakers which wasn't too hard.It made a nice difference so far. Will be adding front door speakers tomorrow and then adding an amp for the speakers and then completely getting rid of the 8inch subwoofer and putting in an aftermarket sub. I took the 8inch subwoofer to car audio shop and he basically laughed at it.

Interesting, so you're saying you have the ELS system and these are the upgrades you're planning? If the amp in the ELS is 490 watts, that ought to be an average of 49 watts per speaker (10 speakers), which is not too terrible. In fact, it's probably more than 50 watts each for the larger speakers, as the tiny tweeters would be less. Are you sure a new amp is needed?

I want to know what level of impact an upgrade would have on my car. For example, I don't like the idea of replacing my rear deck with a custom speaker box, nor of having a massive boxed subwoofer taking up space in my trunk. Could you cram a 10" sub in the current rear deck setup? Or just a better quality 8" sub? I'll be very curious to see what you come up with.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
The "issue" with the sub in these cars are that they are open air subs. Just an FYI
Old 10-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Interesting, so you're saying you have the ELS system and these are the upgrades you're planning? If the amp in the ELS is 490 watts, that ought to be an average of 49 watts per speaker (10 speakers), which is not too terrible. In fact, it's probably more than 50 watts each for the larger speakers, as the tiny tweeters would be less. Are you sure a new amp is needed?

I want to know what level of impact an upgrade would have on my car. For example, I don't like the idea of replacing my rear deck with a custom speaker box, nor of having a massive boxed subwoofer taking up space in my trunk. Could you cram a 10" sub in the current rear deck setup? Or just a better quality 8" sub? I'll be very curious to see what you come up with.
The ELS system is just 10 speakers it doesn't add any more power to the system if that makes sense it just fills the music in the car. The basic model has 7 speakers while ELS has 10 the extra watts you see added from the base to ELS is the added (rear door speakers and center channel speaker) they aren't more powerful. Acura added 3 more speakers and just added the power they had.

(Basically this means that if the system was 100watts at 7 speakers and the next 3 speakers were 10watts each the system is now 130watts, but amp isn't stronger)

Hence i changed rear deck speakers and front door speakers and i'm adding an amp to feed it more power to have a cleaner, crisp, and louder volume.

The stock sub woofer can't handle that much power and the stock amp just doesn't send enough power to the subwoofer either. i do think that upgrading to a stronger 8" subwoofer could help but wouldn't make a substantial difference.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The "issue" with the sub in these cars are that they are open air subs. Just an FYI
Seems like the sort of design issue that a "Grammy winning" designer would notice!
Old 01-28-2018, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep the info coming because I am considering replacing my 2018 TLX ASPEC speakers as an upgrade but probably not adding an amp
Old 01-29-2018, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought about replacing all the speakers and sub after couple months driving. After reading and asking questions, I ended up disconnecting the stock sub, added an amp and a 10in sub. imo, this is the quick, easy way to add some bass into the TLX. And with the ELS system, the external sub makes the whole car sounds a lot better.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noclue02
I thought about replacing all the speakers and sub after couple months driving. After reading and asking questions, I ended up disconnecting the stock sub, added an amp and a 10in sub. imo, this is the quick, easy way to add some bass into the TLX. And with the ELS system, the external sub makes the whole car sounds a lot better.
This is what I did with my 06 TL. I'm very disappointed I need to do this again for my new TLX I'm about to close the deal with.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

490 watts is not real power. This is a maximum rating and you can expect approximately half of that in "real power" aka RMS watts. Stock speakers run at 2 ohm so they maximize whatever little power is available from the OEM amp. Your quickest route of improvement is to add a subwoofer and aftermarket amp with real power. Free air woofers (infinite baffle) are available out there for those who don't want to take up precious trunk space. ID Max and Acoustic Elegance are a few that excel in these applications.

Last edited by Bchester6; 05-09-2018 at 10:14 AM.