What effects throttle response...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
What effects throttle response...

Some people may think I am crazy and it is all in my head but just try the following and see. You have nothing to lose.

Now obviously this won’t help the that much when in D (drive) dynamic mode if you are cruising at city speed your transmission will most likely be in 5th and when you slam the gas peddle it will still lag. The dog tooth gear still has to take the time to disengage power and drop to 2nd gear. This is the nature of the transmission. Throttle response and transmission shifting are two separate issue but when the throttle response is at the top of its game it overcomes most of the transmissions weaknesses. To fix over come transmission weakness I drive it Sport+ Auto 80% and use paddle shifts 15% of the time and transfer back and forth between those at key moments during driving. 5% in other modes.

Things I feel reduce throttle response and or increase lag.

-pushing gas peddle before gear engages from park-reverse and reverse-drive. There is a lag before the transmission engages that has nothing to do when gears dropping. I felt this always affected my 08 TL also so I wait for the transmission to engage before I press the gas peddle. I think it somehow misaligns The drive by wire response.

-possible pressing the gas pedal before the dynamic mode change engages when switching while driving.
-timing retarding from detonation from low octane or too much heat.

Things that increase throttle response and or reduce lag

-sprintbooster
-bored throttle body
-aftermarket intake(but it kills low-midrange torque so not worth it unless sound is all you want)

Now I have figured out that the throttle response has 3 user experience modes

-ON FIRE MODE (the way is should be all the time, an athlete in the zone. Poweron tap anytime you need it.) Rarely in the mode. Stuff dreams are made of!

-Normal (still fun but you want a little more)

-Pig mode (makes you wonder if someone swapped in a 4 cylinder and stole your V6)

So this is a technique I heard about while owning my 2008 TL. Sometimes in the past it seemed to work and other times I had to do it multiple times to work but I think I have figured it out.

I was driving my car the other day and it was in pig mode. So when I got home I did the following. I have done it twice now and it worked perfectly both times. I have done it in the past but I didn’t do the first step until these two times

Turn the car off and come back after at least 5minutes

Push start button twice to enter accessory mode without pushing in brake peddle so motor is not on)

Close door

Push gas peddle to the floor and hold for 5-10 seconds (remember motor is not on so this doesn’t seem to do anything)

While still holding pedal down push the start button to turn accessory mode off.

Continue to hold pedal down until Acura logo shows up then release peddle and walk away for another 5 minutes at least.

Now I did this at the end of the evening and drove it the next morning. Now some might say well of course the next morning it would be good again. From evening till morning it never has made that much of a difference. It was almost scary fast. Now it doesn’t seem to last this way for ever. Maybe a few days then it drops to normal mode.

But if this really is a way to reset the throttle so to speak then this could be the answer to TLX owners prayers.

Quick caveat. If you have sprint booster. Turn it off before the whole procedure.

I remember in the 3G forums years ago many people said that this procedure worked for them. So I periodically did it on my 3G. But it didn’t need it as much because the transmission was pretty good.

Just try it and see if it works for you. And be sure not to press the throttle during P-R or P-D or R-D engagement to prevent throttle peddle misalignment. (This part could totally be in my head but I don’t think it is)

Old 09-07-2018, 09:25 PM
Racer

So I tried this a 3rd and 4th time.

The third time time I only waited 5 minutes before trying it and it didn’t seem to work. The 4th time I waited a half hour(car off for 30 minutes prior) before doing the procedure and it worked perfectly. For those who have a hard time thinking this will work here is the link to the 2004-2008 forum where it has over 500 posts and worked for the 3rd gen

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-happy-747662/

it makes my car feel fun to drive all the time

So my reasoning was if it would work on the 3rd gen it should work on the 5th gen

Last edited by ultrapogi; 09-07-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
For most cars its the same process except for the timing of the shutdown cycle. ECU does not go to sleep right away when you turn off the ignition. All you are doing is erasing the "learned" pattern & going back to a factory default setting.

Two things I would never do. Buy a sprintbooster & engage a reverse/drive gear while not completely stopped.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Two things I would never do. Buy a sprintbooster & engage a reverse/drive gear while not completely stopped.
Just curios is Sprint booster somehow harmful on the car?
Old 09-08-2018, 05:18 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by ultrapogi

No, Sprint Booster is not harmful. It only amplifies the accelerator by wire that you currently have. I've had my Sprint Booster for a bit over a year and love it. I've combined it with a VCM Muzzler to get the full 6 cylinders all the time, with no more VCM dropping my engine to 4 or 3 cylinders. Once you have tried a Sprint Booster, you will like it. That is why they have a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee. The only downside to the Sprint Booster is that I can see if you forget to dial it down in snowy or icy weather the car could get out of control easier. I always make sure to either turn it off or dial it down during implement weather.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by ultrapogi

No it does not cause any harm. Its an electronic device that changes what the drive by wire software sees. It effectively makes a small pedal movement at the beginning of travel seem like a larger one to the cars ECU. This makes the upper ranges of pedal travel seem less to the ECU. So you are effectively front loading the throttle movement response by taking away from the back end. Instead of a booster you can always just push the pedal more.

FWIW or not. The TLX is relatively low powered so as was mentioned below outside of wet or snow causing the tires to lose traction it "feels" better. It does not make the car run faster just seams like it. Process is called tip-in. Manufactures used to give low powered cars faster tip-in to give them that peppy feeling. EPA fuel requirements forced manufactures to be lighter on tip-in to save fuel so that went away for most cars.

Works both ways. On my old modified BMW & my current COBRA I programmed them to have slower tip-in to better control tire slippage on a quick launch. My current BMW is factory delivered with a variable throttle map depending on what driving mode I have selected. Runs normal & quick maps but in the highest performance setting it run a normal map again for better throttle management.

Rat Race below was run with the normal throttle setting. Would not have been as easy to do the wet skid pad drifting with a too sensitive fast throttle

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-08-2018 at 12:26 PM.