Official TLX Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
The question is why we tolerate a few posters who have nothing constructive to say about the subject matter of a theamed forum. They are not TLX owners or have never owned one and yet they hang around the TLX forum day in and day out just to make the point that TLX is a bad car (sometimes by referencing TL as a benchmark). The arguments have gotten so tiresome and irritable that they are nothing but distractions and disturbance that got members into quarrels almost every day. And enough of the argument that they want Acura to hear the concerns. There are many other ways to voice the concerns directly to manufactures and consumer protection agencies if they desire to do so, but it's wrong to hijack this forum and ruin a great resource for TLX owners.

This is not or shouldn't be the Wild West of Internet. There are rules and mods. Individuals who have a sole mission to rain on others' parades and even resorting to aggressive verbal attacks should be warned or banned from posting if they continue their bullying behaviors.
The following 3 users liked this post by txl2017:
a35tl (11-26-2017), Saintor (11-28-2017), steve_97060 (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 08:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Many of us are longtime Acura owners who are unsatisfied with the direction of the company and product that Acura is producing. I like many am voicing my opinion about a car that I do not own but of which I have driven on multiple occasions for many days for many miles. I would love to purchase a new Acura, but the TLX has some significant problems that do not make it work for me. My replies on these threads are usually in response to someone asking for opinions about the car and so I provide it. Someone does not have to own a TLX to have an informed opinion. In fact it is because I have an informed opinion that I do not own it.

Just like some of us keep repeating our complaints with the car, others insist that it shifts perfectly, does not vibrate, and the stock tires are perfectly fine. I get it....just drive in Sport +, or mine does not vibrate, so the issues are not real.

This will never end. People who paid 40k and were pissed at Acura's "working as designed" or have a car that vibrates with no solution from Acura will keep posting. And people who think that the ZF shifts fine as long as you do whatever will keep posting.
The site is for Acura enthusiasts....which I am. It is not a corporate fanboy exclusively page.
end of rant
The following 4 users liked this post by quantum7:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-26-2017), hadokenuh (11-27-2017), pyrodan007 (11-26-2017), teh CL (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
As long as the TLX problems are not correctly handled by Acura, expect a lot more negativity as it ages and keeps failing. If the TLX was good, there would be only praise on this forum. Being the real world, the TLX has been a disaster for Acura and will continue to be. You like your car, good post in the correct thread. But don't tell people what they should think. Telling people that they're wrong will get you in this situation. Especially when problems are real and widespread.

Back on topic, I'm curious to see sales now that the competition got better. Alex on Autos just said he may buy a Stinger next year it being that good, so long for Kia's bad brand image...

Last edited by pyrodan007; 11-26-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
Many of us are longtime Acura owners who are unsatisfied with the direction of the company and product that Acura is producing. I like many am voicing my opinion about a car that I do not own but of which I have driven on multiple occasions for many days for many miles. I would love to purchase a new Acura, but the TLX has some significant problems that do not make it work for me. My replies on these threads are usually in response to someone asking for opinions about the car and so I provide it. Someone does not have to own a TLX to have an informed opinion. In fact it is because I have an informed opinion that I do not own it.

Just like some of us keep repeating our complaints with the car, others insist that it shifts perfectly, does not vibrate, and the stock tires are perfectly fine. I get it....just drive in Sport +, or mine does not vibrate, so the issues are not real.

This will never end. People who paid 40k and were pissed at Acura's "working as designed" or have a car that vibrates with no solution from Acura will keep posting. And people who think that the ZF shifts fine as long as you do whatever will keep posting.
The site is for Acura enthusiasts....which I am. It is not a corporate fanboy exclusively page.
end of rant
let's not confuse constructive criticism and legitimate feedback and complaints with the same tiresome rants that end up on most every thread from the same few posters. maybe there is something in the water up north.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_97060
let's not confuse constructive criticism and legitimate feedback and complaints with the same tiresome rants that end up on most every thread from the same few posters. maybe there is something in the water up north.
I'm not sure what you mean. The only tiresome rants I really see are things like the quote above.

And piffle about 2.0Toys and engine noise being the most essential aspect of the driving experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by svtmike:
kurtatx (12-04-2017), TacoBello (11-28-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
So true!
Old 11-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
..... the same tiresome rants that end up on most every thread from the same few posters. .
Agreed: on both sides of the issues it has been bad.

I am just tired of hearing how since I don't own a TLX that I should not be allowed to voice a negative opinion about a TLX.
I really want the RDX to be a winner this coming spring....and the new TLX to follow. It used to be so easy to buy a new car.....drive down to the Acura dealer and pick one up.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Let's keep the Official TLX Sales Thread on the topic of TLX sales - thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
F23A4 (11-27-2017), sinain (11-27-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Agreed.Too many threads get sidetracked into all sorts of other issues when a thread should be remained focused.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
So Steve, why don't you tell us what you specifically like about your TLX & if you are having any transmission, engine vibration, tire or spoiler falling off issues.

It should be pretty easy to demonstrate what a good car it is. Maybe banning the TSB & Sales threads might be a good start to policing the site to the satisfaction of the true fans.

That way we can pretend that sales are on target, Sport+ is the new drive & with the TSB thread banned it will be a perfect mechanical device with no known service issues..

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-26-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:06 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Is Acura running any Black Friday specials? Honda/Acura is expected to see a 12% sales increase vs November 2016 and a 8.1% sales increase vs last month.

If Acura promotes the TLX correctly, they should be able to sell close to 2,800.

Nov 2016 TLX sales = 2,281
Oct 2017 TLX sales = 2,668

https://www.edmunds.com/about/press/...2017-high.html

Black Friday Halo Effect Expected to Boost November Auto Sales to 17.8 million, a New 2017 High

Pre-Black Friday savings from retailers put consumers in a buying mood, giving dealers an unexpected early-month lift

Nov. 22, 2017

SANTA MONICA, CA — November 22, 2017 — Edmunds, the leading car shopping and information platform, forecasts that 1,422,212 new cars and trucks will be sold in the U.S. in November for an estimated Seasonally Adjusted Annual Rate (SAAR) of 17.8 million. This reflects a 5.3 percent increase in sales from October 2017, and a 3.5 percent increase from November 2016.

"Usually, the first two weeks of the month are slow, especially before a holiday," Jessica Caldwell, Edmunds executive director of industry analysis said. "But this year retailers are pushing the Black Friday bargains throughout the entire month of November, and it's putting everyone in a buying mood. It also doesn't hurt that automakers are starting to really sweeten the deals to clear out lingering 2017s and end this year on a high note."

Edmunds estimates that retail SAAR will come in at 15.0 million vehicles in November 2017, with fleet transactions accounting for 15.9 percent of total sales. An estimated 2.9 million used vehicles will be sold in November 2017, for a SAAR of 38.9 million (compared to 3.2 million — or a SAAR of 38.9 million — in October).

"While 2017 may have gotten off to a sluggish start, strong sales through the back third of the year are making up for lost time," Caldwell said. "We expect full-year sales to be over 17 million for the third year in a row, and are still tracking near our forecast of 17.2 million."

TacoBello (11-28-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
So Steve, why don't you tell us what you specifically like about your TLX & if you are having any transmission, engine vibration, tire or spoiler falling off issues.

It should be pretty easy to demonstrate what a good car it is. Maybe banning the TSB & Sales threads might be a good start to policing the site to the satisfaction of the true fans.

That way we can pretend that sales are on target, Sport+ is the new drive & with the TSB thread banned it will be a perfect mechanical device with no known service issues..
Please read post #248, this thread.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

Frankly Bear, I thought your reading comprehension was better than that, try one more time with what I wrote about car issues.
I have not seen one poster claim they don't want to hear about issues, the repetitive attacks and arguments get old.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sinain
Please read post #248, this thread.
OK So year to date the TLX is running about 2,000 units behind last year even with the unusual bulge of 5258 in April. They will need a good November & December to show an annual increase in sales for the car. Generally December has been a good month for the TLX,
Old 11-26-2017, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Frankly Bear, I thought your reading comprehension was better than that, try one more time with what I wrote about car issues.
I have not seen one poster claim they don't want to hear about issues, the repetitive attacks and arguments get old.
Actually its not really that bad. Just seems like any difference of opinion is an attack. Who defines what is consecutive criticism? We have one guy beating the drum that only happy posts need to be made.

I though a recap of what you like in your personal TLX would be a nice change. Problem is there is not really much to talk about with the car.

The forums posting universe is very small handful of people, there is only 2 versions of the car to talk about & almost no new people are coming in to bring in new thoughts.

Thing is after a week or two with those limitations everything is repetitive. If it were not for the threads everybody says they don't like because of some negative posts there would be almost no posting traffic on this site.

My lead in page on the site shows 50 threads. Of the 50 the TLX killer has over 1000 posts. Only two other threads in the 50 come with half that number of posts, both of which have a lot of back & forth by the usual suspects. Almost all the rest are in low double digits.

I believe if the site went to a happy post operation it would quickly die of pure boredom & lack of traffic.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-26-2017 at 04:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
TacoBello (11-28-2017), teh CL (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Actually its not really that bad. Just seems like any difference of opinion is an attack. Who defines what is consecutive criticism? We have one guy beating the drum that only happy posts need to be made.

I though a recap of what you like in your personal TLX would be a nice change. Problem is there is not really much to talk about with the car.

The forums posting universe is very small handful of people, there is only 2 versions of the car to talk about & almost no new people are coming in to bring in new thoughts.

Thing is after a week or two with those limitations everything is repetitive. If it were not for the threads everybody says they don't like because of some negative posts there would be almost no posting traffic on this site.

My lead in page on the site shows 50 threads. Of the 50 the TLX killer has over 1000 posts. Only two other threads in the 50 come with half that number of posts, both of which have a lot of back & forth by the usual suspects. Almost all the rest are in low double digits.

I believe if the site went to a happy post operation it would quickly die of pure boredom & lack of traffic.
You clearly don't get it. It's not about "happy posts" or not allowing free speech. It's about people who don't own the car trying to tell people who do what they should or shouldn't like about it. Doesn't that sound ludicrous to you? How could you, someone who doesn't have any ownership experience with my specific model year of a TLX with my options and the way I've set it up to drive the way I want, possibly know more about my car than I do? I don't own a replica of an AC Cobra, so it'd be pretty ridiculous for me to tell you your car is crap.

If someone who doesn't own a TLX A-Spec came here and said the TLX A-Spec is the best thing since sliced bread there would be plenty of us owners who would tell that person he's nuts. It's not perfect, but people buy these cars for a reason, different reasons for different people. Non-owners won't get it. If you had a previous bad experience, and have now moved on to a Stinger, an Accord, or an entry-level Audi sedan, then great. I'm sure there's a forum waiting for your wisdom and insight.

Anyway, staying on topic, the dealership I bought the TLX from sold 2 more today, according to my salesperson.
The following 4 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
a35tl (11-26-2017), steve_97060 (11-26-2017), teh CL (11-26-2017), txl2017 (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
. It's about people who don't own the car trying to tell people who do what they should or shouldn't like about it. Anyway, staying on topic, the dealership I bought the TLX from sold 2 more today, according to my salesperson.
Give me a break. Show me a post where anyone is telling someone what to buy. I do see a lot of posts that the ACURA corporate lurkers could take to the marketing department to expand the base. Remember all the it does not have exposed duals when the first version came out. The faithful swore by the fact the car did not need them & even went so far as to say other manufactures were abandoning them.. Some of us said the car was nice but the duals would add some performance image that the company is trying so hard to sell. Same with the glue on aero-cladding the were pedaling. Some of us said it should be integrated while some fans said we were being haters.

Shazam!!! introducing the hot new A-Spec with, wait for it, exposed exhausts & built in aero. Maybe our suggestions helped your dealer get those two sales today.

I have driven the TLX & it was OK for what 90% of the people who have bought said they want in a car. How is that me telling people what to buy if it does not fit what they want in a car? I think ACURA can build a better car that will pickup some of the past users but what they are building now is not the one.

I have also owned a 3G & driven my neighbors 4G on occasion & the dealers TLX. Personally for my usage of the car the only advantage the TLX would have had was its a new car & the 3G would be getting on in age & the 4G is not very attractive to me. If money was a limiting factor & I wanted a car the $30/40K range Accord looks to be a more attractive choice. Agree they are not race cars or even fast cars so that brings it down to creature comforts & interior room. Accord wins more car for the money between the two. For a total package the personal jury is still out since I have not driven a 2.0 & there are other cars in that price range to look at.

From professional opinions that people here salivate over when they are favorable to the TLX & ignore when they are not, I would say they have come down pretty consistently that the Accord 2.0 is a winner.

I expect the 50% of former owners that no longer buy the TLX had similar thoughts or they would have bought it. When you loose existing customers at the rate that ACURA has lost theirs there is something very very wrong going on.

Besides if someone likes their car why should they give a rats a** about what I or anyone else thinks about it? A lot of people don't like my replica first because it is a replica & not the holy grail by Shelby. Secondly because it a replica but has a COYOTE & not a 427 side oiler. Mr Drive it in Sport+ hates the ugly kit car so I know I did a good job on the build.

I was a pretty young guy when I decided not to let what other people think drive my life. If someone here needs some kind of group consensus approval on their car buy maybe they should step back, be confident in there own decisions & get to live their own life instead of living other peoples.

This whole ownership to have an opinion in polite language is straw men. In normal car back & forth total male bovine fodder by product. Do you own or have done everything you have ever had an opinion on?

To fulfill thread requirements on TLX sales why do you think sales stayed tanked & have not picked up with the Aspec coming online?

Just a quick history on sales. The sales target for the 4G was 60K units a year. Don't believe it ever made 37K. Also believe the TLX target was 60K units a years which was somewhat modest since the TLX was replacing two car lines the TL & TSX

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-26-2017 at 07:46 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
pyrodan007 (11-26-2017), TacoBello (11-28-2017), teh CL (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Do you own or have done everything you have ever had an opinion on?
Well of course!! If I don’t have first hand experience with something how on earth could I have an opinion on it? If you haven’t experienced it for yourself, then all you’re doing is guessing. Surely a smart guy like you would know the difference. I mean, imagine the hilarity of a guy who’s never owned a pair of jeans telling others why it’s stupid to wear denim.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Well of course!! If I don’t have first hand experience with something how on earth could I have an opinion on it? If you haven’t experienced it for yourself, then all you’re doing is guessing. Surely a smart guy like you would know the difference. I mean, imagine the hilarity of a guy who’s never owned a pair of jeans telling others why it’s stupid to wear denim.
That's is that's your best shot? Who is your favorite pro hokey team & how good are they?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-26-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's is that's your best shot? Who is your favorite pro hokey team & how good are they?
I haven’t followed the NHL for decades. So I couldn’t answer that question.

I’m amazed, you actually want to perpetuate your stance on this instead of admitting you’re wrong. Let’s try it this way: your grandson has to write a short essay on the thrills of riding on a roller coaster, but you refuse to take him to an amusement park. Let’s see how he manages that.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:14 AM
Team Owner

I haven’t followed the NHL for decades. So I couldn’t answer that question.

I’m amazed, you actually want to perpetuate your stance on this instead of admitting you’re wrong. Let’s try it this way: your grandson has to write a short essay on the thrills of riding on a roller coaster, but you refuse to take him to an amusement park. Let’s see how he manages that.
Riding a Roller Coaster: It's That Kind of Thrill

By CUB-AvHistory

The sumptuous padded vinyl bar holds you firmly to the form-fitting plastic seat. You look at your passenger, beads of sweat running down her face as she anticipates the herky jerky ride up the first hill. She leans in and whispers that it feels like your ZF9 transmission. You smile smugly to yourself. Finally you reach the apex and find the place the roller coaster is fastest: downhill and over a cliff. The roller coaster gathers momentum, with the thrill accentuated by the screams of the passengers behind you. This roller coaster is even more thrilling though because speakers behind your head pipe in even more screams. You reach the bottom of the hill, but unlike competing roller coasters this one doesn't frighten you by too closely approaching the earth below. This roller coaster has class-leading ground clearance. You go over hills and finally into a long straight deceleration chute because this roller coaster needs a bit more distance to bring it to a stop. Two screens greet you at the station. The top screen shows the location of the roller coaster on the track. The operator uses the bottom screen to perform common functions. He hits the Roller Coaster button. Then the Passengers button. Then the Release Safety Restraint button. Then the Back button. Then the Back button again. Then the Doors button. Then the Open button. You disembark the roller coaster and look back at it admiringly. The person behind you in line mutters something about how the roller coaster that was here before the one that this roller coaster replaced was better, but that's OK because to you this roller coaster is good enough. It's that kind of thrill.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:34 AM
Intermediate

Since post 248 doesn't seem to matter: "hokey" just about sums up your latest "contributions" to this thread. FYI, promise I am going to read #248 again and quit posting in this manner.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

While Cubby was at the amusement park with Nana BEAR ridding "little hill" the local roller coaster BEAR was down at the Local Acura store to take a test ride in the TLX. He read & had seen TV adds about the thrill & thought a nice hours ride through the Carolina Moonshine two lanes roads would recreate the thrill that was promised. Unfortunately as far as a thrill the total ride was meh. The thrill was just not there. The car proved to be very nice & certainly competent to drive Cubby to school, Cub Scout meetings & getting groceries. A nice reliable appliance for everyday use.

The teacher that assigned Cubby the task of writing the essay wanted to expand the little guys capability in comparative analysis. So she asked the class to compare the little hill to Kingda Ka in Jackson NJ. Now Cubby had his 1.5 minutes seat time in little hill as a base but Kingda Ka was 400 miles away & Gramps BEAR said no way. What was poor Cubby to do?

Gramps suggested he do an internet search for some hard data on Kingda Ka & use that against his real life experience to write his new essay.

So it looked up Kingda Ka & discovered Kingda Ka is quite simply the tallest coaster in the world and fastest roller coaster in North America. Is that impressive enough to warrant royalty? You bet it is.
This upside down U-shaped track bolts up 45 stories in the sky—that’s 456 feet high! This leaves all other coasters in the dust. And of course it’s going to take some mighty acceleration to get you to the top of it.You’ll leave the station going from 0 to 128 miles per hour in a jaw-dropping 3.5 seconds. Actually, there won’t even be time for your jaw to drop. You’ll be shooting up that impossible height so fast, you won’t even have time to think, so just hang on. It’s 90° straight up. And once you get to the top you’ll be plummeting right back down in a 270-degree spiral that is not recommended for wimps. There is very little that can prepare you for a drop of this intensity. You’ll top it off with a 129-foot camel hump.

Since Cubby's local ride coaster was only 200ft high topped out at 60MPH & never went inverted without ever stepping foot in Six Flags NJ he accurately concluded that Kingda Ka was much more of a thrill ride.

While Cubby was researching roller coasters Gramps BEAR was researching the new Accord. He discovered through all the major auto publications & published data on the TLX & ACCORD web sites that the Accord was much more fully featured than the TLX. It had a strong 2.0 Turbo engine. A 10 speed transmission, like the RLX, that while it did not have the top end of the TLX V6 it was competitive in DD traffic & returned good gas mileage.

For country road driving it has a HUD, like the RLX, so you could keep your eyes on the road & a real time Adaptive Damper System like BMW, Corvette, Mercedes etc. It was also thousands of dollars less expensive that the TLX which did not have these features.

So based to published data by the same people who published the TLX data that gets mentioned here so often to try to prove the TLX is a great car the Accord seems to be the much better bang for the buck. Had the TLX been outstanding on its test ride I would cut it more slack but it just wasn't.

Also with the Accords enhanced up to date suspension system why would it not be a better ride then the fixed two sizes fits all TLX system? Shortly the 2.0 Accords will be on the lot & good to drive confirm the reports or knock them down.

Both are utility haulers & both will do a good job getting Cubby to school but without the thrill why spend the extra money for a badge.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-27-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
quoting this here from a fellow moderator just in case anyone gets a temp ban and trying to figure out why.....
The following 5 users liked this post by ggesq:
a35tl (11-27-2017), F23A4 (11-27-2017), SebringSilver (11-27-2017), sinain (11-27-2017), wlkeel (12-01-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Waiting patiently for Dec 1st
Old 11-27-2017, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Something tells me that the results of anticipated reporting will be inconsequential to one side or the other. J/s
Old 11-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I predict that sales are not going to be very strong for November, in large part because folks on this site seem to care a lot more about TLX sales than Honda corporate does. If Honda really cared about TLX sales, they would have put their new 10 speed transmission in the 18 TLXs. The main complaint about the TLX is the ZF transmission, and Honda presumably could have used the new 10 speed for the MMC, but chose not to do so due to the costs, and the fact that they sell so few TLXs so that it is not worth the trouble.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
I predict that sales are not going to be very strong for November, in large part because folks on this site seem to care a lot more about TLX sales than Honda corporate does. If Honda really cared about TLX sales, they would have put their new 10 speed transmission in the 18 TLXs. The main complaint about the TLX is the ZF transmission, and Honda presumably could have used the new 10 speed for the MMC, but chose not to do so due to the costs, and the fact that they sell so few TLXs so that it is not worth the trouble.
This forum is one big reason I haven't moved on from my 4g TL. TLX seem to have problems, but yeah Honda built their little Accord, but now they need to put focus on making the 2nd gen TLX the top of its class and its cheap to not do so. The NSX is nice, but billions of people can't afford that car
Old 11-27-2017, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
I doubt putting a 10-speed would be of much benefit to them for basically what you just said. I doubt if even 5% of the people are going to say "oh, cool... 10-speed transmission!" and go buy it. And I doubt that many are going to say "they got rid of the ZF 9-speed? Now I'll buy!" because most of them don't know about the ZF 9-speed. They may know about the crappy shifting in the earlier models. Not to mention, the car is getting long in the tooth. They'll probably save it for the next gen where they can talk all about everything being "new" and a "thrill" again. lol. I doubt putting that thing in the current gen TLX is going to affect the barometer much. It'd be akin to putting your star starting point guard back into the game again in the 4th quarter when you're down 30. Nothing to be gained.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
I’m pretty much set on purchasing an ASpec come year-end and I could care less about what the sale numbers are.
In fact, I want them to be as low as possible.
It helps when negotiating and I don’t want to drive a car the whole town has.

So based on previous posts...does that make me a fanboy and a hater?
Old 11-27-2017, 09:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sloppy305
I’m pretty much set on purchasing an ASpec come year-end and I could care less about what the sale numbers are.

Nope, just a bargain hunter. Here's hoping sales are way down for you.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:14 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It actually makes you a very smart consumer! I believe you'll enjoy your 2018 A-Spec immensely. I too enjoy the fact that the TLX A-Spec is something of a rare sighting in my town. I prefer to have a car that isn't seen on every street corner and filling up the parking lots wherever I go.

Personally I think the new 2018 Accord is absolutely hideous looking, especially the front grill. And that is exactly what makes the world interesting. Different strokes for different folks. What you won't see me doing, however, is jumping into the Accord forums bashing that car. There is just no need for that type of behavior, IMHO.
The following 2 users liked this post by ogiewon:
a35tl (11-27-2017), steve_97060 (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ogiewon
It actually makes you a very smart consumer! I believe you'll enjoy your 2018 A-Spec immensely. I too enjoy the fact that the TLX A-Spec is something of a rare sighting in my town. I prefer to have a car that isn't seen on every street corner and filling up the parking lots wherever I go.

Personally I think the new 2018 Accord is absolutely hideous looking, especially the front grill. And that is exactly what makes the world interesting. Different strokes for different folks. What you won't see me doing, however, is jumping into the Accord forums bashing that car. There is just no need for that type of behavior, IMHO.
I also think the new Accord looks bad, especially the front grill. By contrast, I really like the way the TLX looks. The Accord's grill is not quite as bad as the whale mouth on some Toyota's (or as bad as the rear end on the 2003 Accord), but it still is bad. I think the new Camry is much better looking, but it lacks some features that are a deal breaker for me, including memory for the driver's seat.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Nope, makes you an informed future owner
Old 11-28-2017, 01:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Give me a break. Show me a post where anyone is telling someone what to buy. I do see a lot of posts that the ACURA corporate lurkers could take to the marketing department to expand the base. Remember all the it does not have exposed duals when the first version came out. The faithful swore by the fact the car did not need them & even went so far as to say other manufactures were abandoning them.. Some of us said the car was nice but the duals would add some performance image that the company is trying so hard to sell. Same with the glue on aero-cladding the were pedaling. Some of us said it should be integrated while some fans said we were being haters.

Shazam!!! introducing the hot new A-Spec with, wait for it, exposed exhausts & built in aero. Maybe our suggestions helped your dealer get those two sales today.

I have driven the TLX & it was OK for what 90% of the people who have bought said they want in a car. How is that me telling people what to buy if it does not fit what they want in a car? I think ACURA can build a better car that will pickup some of the past users but what they are building now is not the one.

I have also owned a 3G & driven my neighbors 4G on occasion & the dealers TLX. Personally for my usage of the car the only advantage the TLX would have had was its a new car & the 3G would be getting on in age & the 4G is not very attractive to me. If money was a limiting factor & I wanted a car the $30/40K range Accord looks to be a more attractive choice. Agree they are not race cars or even fast cars so that brings it down to creature comforts & interior room. Accord wins more car for the money between the two. For a total package the personal jury is still out since I have not driven a 2.0 & there are other cars in that price range to look at.

From professional opinions that people here salivate over when they are favorable to the TLX & ignore when they are not, I would say they have come down pretty consistently that the Accord 2.0 is a winner.

I expect the 50% of former owners that no longer buy the TLX had similar thoughts or they would have bought it. When you loose existing customers at the rate that ACURA has lost theirs there is something very very wrong going on.

Besides if someone likes their car why should they give a rats a** about what I or anyone else thinks about it? A lot of people don't like my replica first because it is a replica & not the holy grail by Shelby. Secondly because it a replica but has a COYOTE & not a 427 side oiler. Mr Drive it in Sport+ hates the ugly kit car so I know I did a good job on the build.

I was a pretty young guy when I decided not to let what other people think drive my life. If someone here needs some kind of group consensus approval on their car buy maybe they should step back, be confident in there own decisions & get to live their own life instead of living other peoples.

This whole ownership to have an opinion in polite language is straw men. In normal car back & forth total male bovine fodder by product. Do you own or have done everything you have ever had an opinion on?

To fulfill thread requirements on TLX sales why do you think sales stayed tanked & have not picked up with the Aspec coming online?

Just a quick history on sales. The sales target for the 4G was 60K units a year. Don't believe it ever made 37K. Also believe the TLX target was 60K units a years which was somewhat modest since the TLX was replacing two car lines the TL & TSX
1. Very well written post. Gold cup for you!

2. Your post made me think of something regarding Acura that has not ever crossed my mind before- you mentioned not liking the 4G, due to its looks. Truth be told, the feel of that car is very anemic also, even with the 6MT- they tried going euro style on us, but kind of missed the mark. So Acura came off a wave of success with the 1G TSX and 3G TL, all at the same time. They had money rolling, money to invest- they ended up investing that money and giving us the 4G TL.

Now, by in large, the 4G TL was an upgrade over the 3G TL. More power, SH-AWD, softer leather, more tech, etc. But the design was horrendously flawed. And sales plummeted. Acura still thinks it's because they tried going up stream and competing with the Germans. Really, it was the bloated looks. The 2G TSX suffered the same fate. So much so, Acura decided to axe two cars and give us one. They had to maximize their profits somehow and R&Ding two cars is, well, twice as much as one car.

So the TLX was born and rose from the ashes of the 4G TLs and 2G TSXs meh sales. The car is what it is- I'm not here to discuss that. But, it does appear that although the TLX hasn't exactly hit Acura's own sales targets, it has still been selling better than before. Acura as a whole seems to be selling a bit more every year, overall. Granted, the SUVs do a lot of heavy pulling, but the TLX isn't exactly dead weight either, landing in the middle in terms of volume sales per model.

Sales weren't bad before the MMC, even if we expected better. That likely funded everything we did get in the MMC. And we got a lot. Acura obviously knew it needed something to get back in the game, so they released the A Spec. It's nothing crazy, but at the same time addressed a metric ton of shit we begged for.

I'm sure Acura knows exactly where it stands in the market place and what issues they face. I mean, how could they not? But, if they had "little" investment money, how can we expect them to give us a reliable, high horsepower sports sedan that can endure 250000 miles of daily driving? Obviously, they couldn't. But, this hopefully bodes well for such a thing, and an even better overall TLX for the next gen. The only question that remains... what happens with the RLX and ILX?

Last edited by TacoBello; 11-28-2017 at 01:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
F23A4 (11-28-2017), steve_97060 (11-28-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 11:20 AM
_

Nov. 2017 TLX sales = 2,564

Not bad, I guess. Thought it'd be higher.

Higher than a year ago, but down from last month.

Nov 2016 TLX sales = 2,281
Oct 2017 TLX sales = 2,668

Acura

Rising across virtually the entire lineup, Acura sales gained a solid 9.5 percent in November. MDX sales were up substantially with the move to the East Liberty, Ohio plant alongside stablemate RDX. NSX made big strides, while TLX gained 12.4 percent over November 2016.
  • MDX sales gained 15.6 percent for the month, with 5,341 units sold.
  • RDX set a new November record, rising 0.7 percent on sales of 3,775 vehicles.
  • NSX notched sales of 83 units, a gain of 62.7 percent over November 2016.
  • TLX sales were up 12.4 percent on sales of 2,564 in November.

"The Acura brand continued its market resurgence at a steady pace benefitting from product, marketing and sales efforts, all aligned behind our Precision Crafted Performance brand direction," said Jon Ikeda, vice president & general manager of Acura Sales. "Our focus for the remainder of the year is to continue to build momentum we can take into 2018."
The following 2 users liked this post by AZuser:
FLYGUY31 (12-01-2017), Tony Pac (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 01:56 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts

Canadian sales are up comparing to Nov'16. RDX and MDX are rock solid. I believe Acura will close the year with:
USA: +/-150,000
Canada: +/- 20,000
Old 12-01-2017, 02:15 PM
_

Not even Canadians want the RLX.
kurtatx (12-04-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 02:30 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Not even Canadians want the RLX.
Actually Canadian standards are a lot higher than Americans
Often car manufactures offer more options to CDN market than the US. For example, my 4G TL has headlight washer and that option doesn't exist in the US.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Happy Talk?

"The Acura brand continued its market resurgence at a steady pace benefitting from product, marketing and sales efforts, all aligned behind our Precision Crafted Performance brand direction," said Jon Ikeda, vice president & general manager of Acura Sales. "Our focus for the remainder of the year is to continue to build momentum we can take into 2018."

Interesting comment. Take out the low volume NSX in which any change + or - will throw a big percentage number & 4 of the 5 car/SUV lines are behind last year, two quite significantly at over -18%, while the only one, the small RDX, is showing a gain of just at 2/10 of 1% positive.

Mr. Ikeda must live in a marijuana legal state or else he drinks a lot. Its hard to believe this guy still has a job.

Quick Reply: Official TLX Sales Thread