Need Help - Car Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Need Help - Car Wont Start

Hi everyone, I took my car into the dealership last week because randomly it will not start. They ran tests on the battery and alternator, said there were no issues and sent me on my way. Well come yesterday, I drove about a 45 minute drive, stopped somewhere to eat (took about 10 min.), and came back out and the car would not start again. It turns over weakly once, no clicking, and just stops. I sit there for 2 min and hit the button twice more, the first time it turned over and wouldnt start (sounded weak), and second time started right up. Any idea what this could be or what I should tell the dealership?
Old 08-27-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
battery.

on average batteries tend to last about 4 years....if your 2015 is on the original battery, it could be on it's last leg.
have your dealership compensate you for your lost time on your last visit. that sucks that they didn't catch it
Old 08-27-2018, 01:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
battery.

on average batteries tend to last about 4 years....if your 2015 is on the original battery, it could be on it's last leg.
have your dealership compensate you for your lost time on your last visit. that sucks that they didn't catch it
I have had the battery checked out by Oreillys and Autozone, tests fine. Battery is only a year old.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:04 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
If it's still under warranty take it to the dealership. If it's not the battery, it could be the alternator or starter.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:04 PM

should have led with that...my battery is 1 year old.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:06 PM
Advanced

should have led with that...my battery is 1 year old.
Haha I apologize. I thought the part about they ran tests on it was enough.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
If the battery and alternator are testing out fine, the next thing to test would be the starter. I'm curious, what the use of the auto idle stop feature has been with your car. Has it been used regularly or rarely?
Old 08-27-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by jreyes
Haha I apologize. I thought the part about they ran tests on it was enough.
lol no worries.

a weak battery can test good, thus I like to go by date for batteries.
just as an average, I can only get about 3 - 4 years out of a battery here in the Texas heat
Old 08-27-2018, 02:57 PM
Advanced

lol no worries.

a weak battery can test good, thus I like to go by date for batteries.
just as an average, I can only get about 3 - 4 years out of a battery here in the Texas heat
Im in OK, so it should be similar to yours. Date on the battery is 2/17, so I am not thinking it is that.

Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec
If the battery and alternator are testing out fine, the next thing to test would be the starter. I'm curious, what the use of the auto idle stop feature has been with your car. Has it been used regularly or rarely?
Is auto idle stop on every TLX? Cause mine has never stopped at idle.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:18 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a same problem like you OP. Battery tested fine but I can see the weak start in the morning. Finally, it gave up on me after 30 minutes hwy drive. Parked and grab a drink, came out car won't start. Had a jump and still no go. Good thing the guy helped me had time to spare, so he left the jumper cable attached for like 5 minutes, was able to start after that. Mine was 2 years old. My 13' Accord's battery also gave up after 2 years.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:32 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
My car has a similar problem. My original battery started having this problem after about 1.5 years but it always checked out ok when I took it to Acura dealerships and couldn't duplicate the starting problem:. I finally gave up on it and replaced the battery on my own dime. It solved the problem... that was around last June or July. This May/June, I think (1 year later) the issue started happening again. It's progressively getting worse again. Today, I had to crank it about 4 times for it to turn over. It seems like I'm going to have to replace the battery every 1-1.5 years in this thing. lol.

BTW, it seems to happen to me (but not always) after driving the car, stopping it, going in somewhere and coming back out to start it. I never have the problem in the mornings/overnight when I attempt to start the car. FYI : I'm in Texas.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by noclue02
I have a same problem like you OP. Battery tested fine but I can see the weak start in the morning. Finally, it gave up on me after 30 minutes hwy drive. Parked and grab a drink, came out car won't start. Had a jump and still no go. Good thing the guy helped me had time to spare, so he left the jumper cable attached for like 5 minutes, was able to start after that. Mine was 2 years old. My 13' Accord's battery also gave up after 2 years.
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
My car has a similar problem. My original battery started having this problem after about 1.5 years but it always checked out ok when I took it to Acura dealerships and couldn't duplicate the starting problem:. I finally gave up on it and replaced the battery on my own dime. It solved the problem... that was around last June or July. This May/June, I think (1 year later) the issue started happening again. It's progressively getting worse again. Today, I had to crank it about 4 times for it to turn over. It seems like I'm going to have to replace the battery every 1-1.5 years in this thing. lol.

BTW, it seems to happen to me (but not always) after driving the car, stopping it, going in somewhere and coming back out to start it. I never have the problem in the mornings/overnight when I attempt to start the car. FYI : I'm in Texas.
These are the exact same issues as mine. Only when the car has been running for 30+ min and restarted after 10 does this happen. Since it doesnt happen much, did you guys just ride it out till the battery just died?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Racer

These are the exact same issues as mine. Only when the car has been running for 30+ min and restarted after 10 does this happen. Since it doesnt happen much, did you guys just ride it out till the battery just died?
I got the battery replaced after couple jumps. You don't want to be stuck somewhere where you can't get help or have to wait long for a tow truck or a friend to come and help you out. I have one of those portable jumper, but it did not help last time on me. Battery was really dead dead lol.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:28 AM

interesting. what brand are these batteries that are crapping out in 2 years? Could it be the HONDA/ACURA ones???
perhaps that's a cost cutting measure, to ship cars with okay batteries...?

I know there are only a few battery manufactures; with the 2 biggest producing GREAT batteries that last 3-4 years. Johnson controls and someone else.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:54 AM
Racer

Mine was the factory batteries that gave up after 2 yrs.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:21 PM
Advanced

I got the battery replaced after couple jumps. You don't want to be stuck somewhere where you can't get help or have to wait long for a tow truck or a friend to come and help you out. I have one of those portable jumper, but it did not help last time on me. Battery was really dead dead lol.
Ya, thats what im scared of. I guess ill just purchase a battery from an auto parts store with a 3 year replacement warranty for next time.

interesting. what brand are these batteries that are crapping out in 2 years? Could it be the HONDA/ACURA ones???

I know there are only a few battery manufactures; with the 2 biggest producing GREAT batteries that last 3-4 years. Johnson controls and someone else.
Mine was the factory batteries that gave up after 2 yrs.
It is an Acura/Honda battery. Not the first time I have had issues with them. When I have a new TSX, had to get its battery replaced under warranty, too.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Drifting

After a while I got scared I'd be stranded somewhere and just replaced it before it died. I'm hoping I can "risk it" this time for another couple of months before replacing it since I've only got 1 year on it. Insane. After that, I guess I'll replace it again since I may be taking a roadtrip around November or December and definitely don't want to risk it then.

The original battery was, of course, an Acura-branded battery, but the replacement is an Interstate, and like I said, I'm having the same symptoms of poor starts after parking the car for a few minutes and attempting to re-start. Either this is an Acura vehicle problem or Interstate makes the batteries for Acura and they have issues.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I had the same problem with my TLX. It would start fine 95% of the time, but when I would make short stops like to the gas station it would have a hard time starting back up and would take a couple tries. They had tested the battery and alternator at the dealership and everything was fine, but I kept having the problem intermittently. I ended up just buying a new Interstate battery from Costco and installing it and never had the problem since. Guess the OEM battery must have had a weak cell it or something. It was about 3.5 years old
Old 08-30-2018, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by h_dawg
I had the same problem with my TLX. It would start fine 95% of the time, but when I would make short stops like to the gas station it would have a hard time starting back up and would take a couple tries. They had tested the battery and alternator at the dealership and everything was fine, but I kept having the problem intermittently. I ended up just buying a new Interstate battery from Costco and installing it and never had the problem since. Guess the OEM battery must have had a weak cell it or something. It was about 3.5 years old
Seems to be a somewhat widespread issue.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Advanced

Whelp... out doing a showing for a house (I work in real estate) 50min away from home and my car will not start. A little smoke came out of my hood and a burned electric smell came with it. Tried to jump it with no luck. So now im extremely frustrated with the dealership for acting like im crazy and telling me there is nothing wrong. Thank god for warranties.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Nothing new the 3G had battries that sucked also. Lots of 2 years & dead. Mine was replaced either as a good will or warranty can't remember which.

Got 6 years on my OEM FORD battery in the pickup truck.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-02-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Happened to me but it was the starter. It had to get replaced.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
Happened to me but it was the starter. It had to get replaced.
Had a starter with a bad segment on an early '70's FORD station wagon. Would fail to start it the starter stopped on that segment. The thing that is troubling is the OP smelled & saw smoke coming from under the hood. Sounds like some wires got fried, mice/squirrels eat some insulation?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Advanced

Well I will keep you guys updated with what happens. Dealership gave me an A-Spec as a loaner, the car is sweet. Sounds much better, but im thinking that may be fake noise, idk.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
The engine noise is fake on the A-Spec. Piped through the speakers.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by miner
The engine noise is fake on the A-Spec. Piped through the speakers.
Thats just sad. Had me fooled. Sounds so good!
Old 09-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Advanced

From the dealership - valve cover leak that leaked onto the starting, freezing the starter and burning it up. Not sure what all that means, but they are fixing it.
The following users liked this post:
Curious3GTL (09-26-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:46 PM
Drifting

From the dealership - valve cover leak that leaked onto the starting, freezing the starter and burning it up. Not sure what all that means, but they are fixing it.
Interesting. So if this is the problem on mine, I'm going to have to wait for the starter to die to get a solution. lol. Of course, the problem went away for about a year after I got a new battery before it started again, so who knows.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Advanced

So the A-SPEC the dealership gave me as a loaner is so nice. Everything feels more polished than my base 2.4. I honestly feel sad driving it, not because I want it, but because I feel like the A-SPEC is how Acura should've started the TLX. Everything on it works together and and is so much smoother than mine, even small things like the infotainment. The layout and design of it just works, unlike the old 2015-2017 version.

Then you look at the exterior. Wow, it's amazing how far a couple small tweaks go with this car. As with the inside, I look at this exterior and think, why wouldn't Acura have done this in the first place? Just from driving it, it feels super aggressive compared to the 2015-2017s. I feel like im driving the bat-mobile.

I just wish Acura was more proactive, less reactive (or innovative) when it comes to design and function. The A-SPEC is a fun car. All that being said, for the price, I'd go for a Mercedes C or E class.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:52 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I’m having this same starting issue. Car starts fine in the morning. I go in to 7-11 and get a cup of coffee after driving for 10 minutes, and sometimes it takes 2 try’s. Dealer kept car for a day but could find nothing.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:54 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan

same exact problem here
Old 09-23-2018, 08:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
So the A-SPEC the dealership gave me as a loaner is so nice. Everything feels more polished than my base 2.4. I honestly feel sad driving it, not because I want it, but because I feel like the A-SPEC is how Acura should've started the TLX. Everything on it works together and and is so much smoother than mine, even small things like the infotainment. The layout and design of it just works, unlike the old 2015-2017 version.

Then you look at the exterior. Wow, it's amazing how far a couple small tweaks go with this car. As with the inside, I look at this exterior and think, why wouldn't Acura have done this in the first place? Just from driving it, it feels super aggressive compared to the 2015-2017s. I feel like im driving the bat-mobile.

I just wish Acura was more proactive, less reactive (or innovative) when it comes to design and function. The A-SPEC is a fun car. All that being said, for the price, I'd go for a Mercedes C or E class.
Have you looked at how bland many German cars now look that are 4+ years old....especially rear ends with crappy exhaust pipes. Design changes and along with it our taste change as well. I always liked the overall look of my 2015 and 2016 TLX's, but driving my 2018 ASpec Elite gives me the feeling that my car will always be the best looker in the lot
Old 09-26-2018, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Thats just sad. Had me fooled. Sounds so good!
It's not entirely piped through the speakers. At higher RPMs, e.g. 5k+, w/ ANC turned off it doesn't sound half bad, but it'd be nice for it to sound good a lower RPMs w/o piping it through the speakers.