ILX discontinued.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
What was the weight distribution on your cars?
They were both 58/42. Like I said, very nose heavy.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
They were both 58/42. Like I said, very nose heavy.
Oh, no I meant the STI and EVO (sorry should have been more specific).
Old 01-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

Found an old one. Would be interesting to see a TLX & A-4 to see how the engine transmission mass is distributed. Like this format better then the current ones, think it gives you more useful information.
Incidentally, I did my driver's test on the sister car to the Bonneville above (i.e.: one Pontiac Catalina).
In any event, Car and Driver will at times note the weight distribution in their test sheet. (See article, and click 'Download Test Sheet' under Specifications)

Just to save some work, here is the weight distribution (f/r):
TLX V6 P-AWS 61.2%/38.8%
TLX 2.4, 60%/40%
TLX -SH-AWD 60.4%/39.6%
Audi A4 2.0T 7AT 56%/44%

Honda Accord V6 Touring 61.7%/38.3%
Nissan Maxima Platinium 61%/39%
*I tossed in the AV6 Touring and Maxima as they are the most direct competitors to the TLX V6

The data presentation lacks the visuals of R/T's cutaway but, the numbers are clear enough.

Last edited by F23A4; 01-07-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
And the current Audi A5 is 55/45.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
I would hope that the 2019 TLX has more interesting changes than just color. If Infiniti can introduce new engines in between MMC, pretty sure Acura can too. Acura's sedan lineup is dying a slow death.
Acura is following their normal playbook. I also think they brought the 19s out earlier than usual because I expect the 20 TLX 6G to be out this time next year.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
^what about RLX?
i suspect it is dead. Let see if they even release 19. Dealers I talked to had no date on 19s. Personally it needed the infotainment update the TLX got and some active dampers and I would be in one. I wish they would update it because I would love to get one, but just could not bring myself to do it, the raid was a little soft. The Krell audio was really excellent.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL

i suspect it is dead. Let see if they even release 19. Dealers I talked to had no date on 19s. Personally it needed the infotainment update the TLX got and some active dampers and I would be in one. I wish they would update it because I would love to get one, but just could not bring myself to do it, the raid was a little soft. The Krell audio was really excellent.
I think they are focusing on the volume models first (RDX, TLX, MDX), then move to the ILX and RLX last. Which makes perfect sense, since I imagine you want a ROI as soon as you can. I imagine the next RLX be 4WD only, the TC V6 and a Sport Hybrid.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hondu

I think they are focusing on the volume models first (RDX, TLX, MDX), then move to the ILX and RLX last. Which makes perfect sense, since I imagine you want a ROI as soon as you can. I imagine the next RLX be 4WD only, the TC V6 and a Sport Hybrid.
I hope they do another RLX I would get it when this lease is up. But with the volume they move I can;t see them investing in another RLX. Sedan sales are on the slow decline and to me if they wanted to do a hail mary halo car do a larger MDX to go against the Escalade and Navigator, that may get them on people's radar.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by hondu

The are building 160 RLX cars a month. These are not high margin cars like an exotic, how about a mercy killing & use the money on the winners in the product line.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I hope they do another RLX I would get it when this lease is up. But with the volume they move I can;t see them investing in another RLX. Sedan sales are on the slow decline and to me if they wanted to do a hail mary halo car do a larger MDX to go against the Escalade and Navigator, that may get them on people's radar.
I believe Acura has said they wanted a balanced portfolio, so I think they will keep it, and to ever be considered a true "luxury" car company they need the RLX.

Sales are low because of a host of reasons, but I imagine with a bespoke plank and proper drivetrains, they could easily increase sales 4X or more.

Taking the new TLX (RDX) platform and stretching it for the RLX and shrinking it for the ILX would help differentiate Acura from Honda and elevate the overall brand (plus lower investment and cost).
Old 07-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
After what date will the ILX discontinued?

2019 Acura ILX’s New Face Revealed in Patent Filings?

[Article]
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...patent-filings

[Patent Images]
https://www.caranddriver.com/photo-g...ings-gallery#1
Old 07-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hdcolumbus
After what date will the ILX discontinued?

2019 Acura ILX’s New Face Revealed in Patent Filings?

[Article]
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...patent-filings

[Patent Images]
https://www.caranddriver.com/photo-g...ings-gallery#1

The ILX needs much more than a new face ;-)
The following users liked this post:
hdcolumbus (07-08-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Fail.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Agreed, needs much more than an exterior overhaul, and this update doesn't look all that exciting, but we'll see. At the very least it needs the new RDX interior / tech.

IMO the A3/S3 still holds the trophy for best executed compact sports sedan design and tech (Audi Virtual Cockpit).
Old 07-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I really hope Acura keeps the ILX.

The redesign needs to have the refinement of the TLX but without its problems: vibrations and bad transmission/software. It certainly should get a similar (although toned down) interior similar to the 2019 RDX.

The current ILX is not suited for even an entry level luxury.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I really hope Acura keeps the ILX.

The redesign needs to have the refinement of the TLX but without its problems: vibrations and bad transmission/software. It certainly should get a similar (although toned down) interior similar to the 2019 RDX.

The current ILX is not suited for even an entry level luxury.
The problem is that the current Civic is pretty nice. The ILX must be better than the Civic but not as good as the TLX - it's a very small slot to squeeze into IMO. Given the overall downhill demand curve for sedans in general I'm not sure they see much ROI from it but I'm just wildly speculating here.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Recent news: The ILX is on the Consumer Reports verified owner list beats MB CLA........for worse car. MB CLA is #10.

Sorry the devil made me do it.

Seriously now, I believe the ILX's biggest problem was the CIVIC on which it is based is just too good of a car for the money. There was a major lack of product differentiation between the two cars.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

I think Acura can survive with an upgraded TLX when it doe 6th Gen next year and then if they can pull off a good RLX makeover I think those 2 sedans can do well. Sedan sales are sinking and the ILX price point is drowning in cars and it is not worth their time.
kurtatx (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 04:34 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I think Acura can survive with an upgraded TLX when it doe 6th Gen next year and then if they can pull off a good RLX makeover I think those 2 sedans can do well. Sedan sales are sinking and the ILX price point is drowning in cars and it is not worth their time.
I think Acura can do this only if RLX is a significant departure from the TLX. We're talking mega-performance model. Otherwise, no way a plane Jane RLX can last in this market.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Can we stop calling the TLX 5th and 6th gen though.

Just because you added an X to TL doesn't mean they can keep the generation going.

The following 2 users liked this post by Flipster23:
TacoBello (07-12-2018), wlkeel (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Can we stop calling the TLX 5th and 6th gen though.

Just because you added an X to TL doesn't mean they can keep the generation going.

Technically the platform the TLX is built on is the 5th soon to be 6th gen. They just changed the name.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
No, what he's saying is the TLX should have been called the 1G, with the new model being the 2G.
wlkeel (07-13-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I think Acura can do this only if RLX is a significant departure from the TLX. We're talking mega-performance model. Otherwise, no way a plane Jane RLX can last in this market.
I agree. If they really nail the interior which seems they are headed in right direction and clean up some of the exterior styling, drop the FWD model they can do it. They need to go all in on precision cockpit, full LCD instrument panel, large infotainment display and high quality touch surfaces and materials. A full adjustable suspension and some tweaks to SH-AWD and they can pull this off. Problem will be if they want to make the investment, but my guess is they decision was made a long time ago.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by TacoBello
No, what he's saying is the TLX should have been called the 1G, with the new model being the 2G.
Yeah, at this point, it's the 2G TLX. Model name change is a model name change.
wlkeel (07-13-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:06 PM
Pro

Received 533 Likes on 262 Posts
Keep dreaming. The RLX is dead. With all the upgrades they will never recover the investment. Waste if time. High end sedans is where Merc and BMW play. Acura needs to nail the next TLX and with the momentum release a beautiful coupe. Even then I'm not sure if they will recover their investment on the coupe.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by dmski
Keep dreaming. The RLX is dead. With all the upgrades they will never recover the investment. Waste if time. High end sedans is where Merc and BMW play. Acura needs to nail the next TLX and with the momentum release a beautiful coupe. Even then I'm not sure if they will recover their investment on the coupe.
If it wasn't clear, I'm basically trying to say the RLX would have to be replaced by a performance-centric model
Old 07-13-2018, 09:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
The problem is that the current Civic is pretty nice. The ILX must be better than the Civic but not as good as the TLX - it's a very small slot to squeeze into IMO. Given the overall downhill demand curve for sedans in general I'm not sure they see much ROI from it but I'm just wildly speculating here.
While the current Civic is nice, it's still a Civic. I test drove a Civic EXL about 2 weeks ago and my opinion is while it's nice, it's still noisy and feels economy. There is definitely a market for a small compact sedan with a quiet and nice interior.

Originally Posted by dmski
Acura may not sell too many RLX but they need to keep it alive to be able to compete as a luxury auto maker. Without it, the profolio would look very lacking. But I agree with you that they need to nail the next TLX and possibly a TLX coupe. Honda killed the Accord coupe so I don't know what's the possibility of a TLX coupe at all.

I agree. If they really nail the interior which seems they are headed in right direction and clean up some of the exterior styling, drop the FWD model they can do it. They need to go all in on precision cockpit, full LCD instrument panel, large infotainment display and high quality touch surfaces and materials. A full adjustable suspension and some tweaks to SH-AWD and they can pull this off. Problem will be if they want to make the investment, but my guess is they decision was made a long time ago.
Most definitely agree. That's exactly what they need to do with the RLX. And keep their volume seller (RLX SH-AWD with Tech) be at $50K or less.

Last thing Acura also needs to step up is their dealership experience. Damn, my two local dealerships don't feel anything special at all, except for the NSX in their show room.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Azine Jabroni

While the current Civic is nice, it's still a Civic. I test drove a Civic EXL about 2 weeks ago and my opinion is while it's nice, it's still noisy and feels economy. There is definitely a market for a small compact sedan with a quiet and nice interior.
So does the ILX. It's noisy and very, very bad.

Acura may not sell too many RLX but they need to keep it alive to be able to compete as a luxury auto maker. Without it, the profolio would look very lacking. But I agree with you that they need to nail the next TLX and possibly a TLX coupe. Honda killed the Accord coupe so I don't know what's the possibility of a TLX coupe at all.
The RLX has no business in Acura's lineup. There's no requirement that the RLX be there. RLX does nothing to bolster Acura's portfolio.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Burning Brakes

That's why I said what I said in post #215. Feel free to re-read before you comment further.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

The RLX has no business in Acura's lineup. There's no requirement that the RLX be there. RLX does nothing to bolster Acura's portfolio.
The 2016 refeshed ILX is not THAT bad, and in some ways trumps the RLX by resolving many of the issues that plauged (and still plauge) the RLX. I speak from experience having leased both over the past 5+ years.

The reason the RLX did nothing to bolster Acura's portfolio is because it was a disaster of a product launch, and was plauged by soo many issues. IMO the RLX epitomized the outcomes from Ito's mistakes durings his 6-year seat as CEO (2009-2015). An attempt to make a luxury flagship vehicle during a period of time in which Acura was forced to operate in a way that was everything BUT luxury.

I agree that with Ikeda at the helm, and having much better support now from the mothership, they can right the ship with a future RLX re-design. What they've done with the RDX is a clear sign they can do it. The question is whether they really "want" to or not. I think it's clear the flaship sedan class of vehicle is not a high margin / large volume type product. It is similar to the NSX, it creates brand image and cache via a halo approach, just not as extreme as the NSX. So it really comes down to whether they want to make the investment or not.

Last edited by holografique; 07-13-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Most definitely agree. That's exactly what they need to do with the RLX. And keep their volume seller (RLX SH-AWD with Tech) be at $50K or less.

Last thing Acura also needs to step up is their dealership experience. Damn, my two local dealerships don't feel anything special at all, except for the NSX in their show room.
Exactly, offering the damn thing in FWD took all street cred away form it as a high end luxury car regardless of the the FWD vs. RWD BS. I know it takes space, but to bump up the rear motor HP a bit would be nice to help give it enough oomph off the line until the gas engine is all in since you do feel it almost similar to turbo lag.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Go to 8:00 on this vid some interesting comments on TLX & Acura as a "luxury" car maker in general. Think a lot of the general public can find some truth in the conversation.

Long vid about how owners feel "affordable" luxury car versions like the ILX & CLA

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-13-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Just saw an older RLX PAWS... what an uninspiring car. I don't know if anyone would run out to buy one. It annoys me that Acura/Honda will blame vehicle sales failures on anything and everything, besides the most obvious. The 4G TL didn't sell poorly because it went up in price. It sold poorly because it was ugly AF. It's not rocket science. The RLX looks worse than a Camry- any Camry.
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
KeithL (07-13-2018), ZipSpeed (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Long vid about how owners feel "affordable" luxury car versions like the ILX & CLA
Thanks for sharing Bear. From my experience, everything those guys speak about Acura can be applied to the RLX, and even more so considering the high price tag it carried upon it's launch.

The only reason the ILX carries weight and some satisfaction for me is that it in my case with my original 2014 PAWS Advanced (built and released in March of 2013), the ILX improved my experience with the RLX in every area (suspension, drive handling, tech. infotainment, etc) with the exception of the interior and general engine performance.

IMO the interior and engine performance were the only two things they got right in the RLX PAWS and obviously were a step back in the ILX. Otherwise my ILX A-Spec has all the same tech as my RLX Advanced did, without all the annoying bugs and issues. Which says alot when you're comparing a $32k compact sports sedan to a $63k lluxury flagship sedan within the same brand lineup...

Last edited by holografique; 07-13-2018 at 01:27 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Acura can build good cars but their market positioning sucks. The marketing people have made a Harvard B school case book of how not to run a car company for the past 10 years. Hopefully the new guy can correct the company's direction. Getting up to date engines like the 2T, DOHC 3T, 10 speed & SHAWD will certainly put the wheels under the car. Now if they can figure out a really contemporary design language, product positioning & pricing structure they can make a comeback.

My gut would be two sedans, TLX + an higher level something like 3/4 vs 5/6 in BMW land & two possibly three SUV's for the present buying trends. They should not try to go head to head with Europe but shadow them with less expensive but content competitive products. Europe has a lot of fat in their price cost model. If Acura ran the cost side with a leaner pricing model I believe they could move a lot more iron then they do now.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Just saw an older RLX PAWS... what an uninspiring car. I don't know if anyone would run out to buy one. It annoys me that Acura/Honda will blame vehicle sales failures on anything and everything, besides the most obvious. The 4G TL didn't sell poorly because it went up in price. It sold poorly because it was ugly AF. It's not rocket science. The RLX looks worse than a Camry- any Camry.
I have a 4g TL, I personally love that TL more than any other TL. I'm starting to see the 4g more and more over the last 2 years. It's also better performing than the 3g and TLX

It didn't sell cause it came out right after the depression and it was such a drastic change from the 3g that it didn't convert 3g buyers. The 4g buyers only some of them are converting to the TLX, most of us rather look at a RLX being use to the size. I'm planning on test driving an used 2018 RLX sport hybrid
Old 07-15-2018, 01:18 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts

Technically the platform the TLX is built on is the 5th soon to be 6th gen. They just changed the name.
The first gen TL platform is a longitudinal layout and it has zero things in common with its successors. So technically the current TLX is the 4th gen.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure how accurate is the news but it's certainly disappointing. IMO, the main problem of the current ILX is NVM, or the lack of. Really bad, even for an entry level model of a near luxury brand.
Pardon me, but what’s NVM?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidg4781

Pardon me, but what’s NVM?
Good catch, I meant NVH (Noise, vibration, and harshness).
Old 07-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
We can now all stay informed about the new ILX coming soon.....

https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles

Quick Reply: ILX discontinued.