A-Spec Brakes :-/

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher.
RE Udate: Thank you for the update! Good information - based on your opinion I think I'll go with those pads, but, for me I'll just wait until I need new pads anyway.
You will be waiting a long time, my 15 TLX with 24K on it when I turned it in the brakes had plenty of life left on them.
EBC Redstuff

DP31753C (I believe these are the fronts)
DP33018C (and I think these are the rears)

These remind me of the Brembos that were on the 3G Type-S I can't recommend these enough, but on silver wheels there will be visible dust.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 222 Posts
I just do oil changes when the car "tells" me to do them, after hitting the 15% oil life left warning. I do feel like that happens sooner than it should, for synthetic oil. I guess they just use a "blend" though, not full Synthetic? I go do the dealer and they use the OEM specified "Acura brand" oil. I did read that the oil filters are actually quite good, better than the orange Fram oil filters commonly bought at auto supply stores.
Hmm, I also wait till 15%. Maybe I forgot an oil change along the way but I am almost certain the first one was at close to 9k in miles. This has been my general experience on multiple acuras since 2007. Wonder why your minder runs down so quickly. I do recall on my 2007 the oil with 4k miles was still clear but I didn't monitor the 2018 like that car. Agree it's probably a blend as I think they charged 42 including tax on my oil change as I rotated the tires myself. Certain full synthetic would be more expensive.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:12 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
I have not done a lot of "drifting", and I don't think this is the right car for that, but I don't know? I do wish I could have a car that feels safe to drive that way (intentional drifting around corners, "controlled" sliding for fun, etc.)
The SH-AWD makes it easy to slide the back end around a corner. It also makes it much easier to do a U turn since the extremely wide turning radius The more practice I do the more comfortable I become and I figure out the limits of the car in a way to do it safely without loosing control. My sweet spot is driving in sport + then right before the corner drop it into paddle shifter 2nd and accelerate controlled through the corner.

Unfortunately a front wheel drive understeers like crazy and is extremely hard to slide the back out.

Last edited by ultrapogi; 08-25-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Maybe so, but your tires won’t last nearly as long as a fwd car that isn’t sliding the ass end out
Old 08-26-2018, 01:03 AM
Team Owner

But seriously... I can’t lie. Sh-AWD is bad ass.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:08 AM
Suzuka Master

SH-AWD has matured nicely. In early iterations it only kicked in when only really needed, now it tends to be engaged even under mild acceleration or load. It is truly an under appreciated and under advertised feature that sets Acura apart from most of its competitors.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 11:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Did a lot of drifting at the BMW performance drive school, 49 seconds on the Rat Race Vid, but can't really figure a reason to ever do it in my own car on the street. Kills tires & not all that great for the suspension.

For U turns I live close to a lot of old NC bootlegger roads but have never felt the need to a bootlegger U turn with big a** pine trees as curbs.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-26-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
For U turns I live close to a lot of old NC bootlegger roads but have never felt the need to a bootlegger U turn with big a** pine trees as curbs.
For the U turn I goose the throttle just enough and slide it ever so lightly. While in the middle turn lane I have almost hit the curb on my front end from the wide turning radius doing a normal u turn. So the slight slide gives me enough clearance. I did it once right after a light rain without thinking and I almost slide right into the curb on the back end from sliding so far. Felt like I was in the movies! Dirt along the road throws in a little monkey wrench too. Dry pavement seems to be pretty predictable.

Last edited by ultrapogi; 08-26-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:26 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by ultrapogi
The SH-AWD makes it easy to slide the back end around a corner. It also makes it much easier to do a U turn since the extremely wide turning radius The more practice I do the more comfortable I become and I figure out the limits of the car in a way to do it safely without loosing control. My sweet spot is driving in sport + then right before the corner drop it into paddle shifter 2nd and accelerate controlled through the corner.

Unfortunately a front wheel drive understeers like crazy and is extremely hard to slide the back out.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:28 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

For the U turn I goose the throttle just enough and slide it ever so lightly. While in the middle turn lane I have almost hit the curb on my front end from the wide turning radius doing a normal u turn. So the slight slide gives me enough clearance. I did it once right after a light rain without thinking and I almost slide right into the curb on the back end from sliding so far. Felt like I was in the movies! Dirt along the road throws in a little monkey wrench too. Dry pavement seems to be pretty predictable.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Can you record what you mean? GoPro or iPhone is fine I'm trying to practice my u turns and could use a little advice on how to do it better.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Can you record what you mean? GoPro or iPhone is fine I'm trying to practice my u turns and could use a little advice on how to do it better.
oh wow. I am by no means perfect but maybe I can see what I can do. I apologize for thread jacking slightly. Let’s get back to the red stuff breaks and if I am able to do that I can start a new thread.

Last edited by ultrapogi; 08-27-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:03 AM
Team Owner

My SH-AWD experience is limited to the 2G RL, but driving it in the deep snow this past winter was a ton of fun. The car is super easy to control. Just mash the throttle and steer in the direction you want to go. And this was on meh Pirelli all season tires. No opposite lock, no throttle handling, no skill required. Just point and go.

But, to be perfectly honest, I’ve had similar experiences behind the wheel of a Subaru Legacy GT Spec B, and a WRX, in the winter.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:15 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Old 08-27-2018, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
My SH-AWD experience is limited to the 2G RL, but driving it in the deep snow this past winter was a ton of fun. The car is super easy to control. Just mash the throttle and steer in the direction you want to go. And this was on meh Pirelli all season tires. No opposite lock, no throttle handling, no skill required. Just point and go.

But, to be perfectly honest, I’ve had similar experiences behind the wheel of a Subaru Legacy GT Spec B, and a WRX, in the winter.
Reads like my 4X4 pickup truck but I am cheating with off road snow rated tires.

TacoBello (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 03:08 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
You will be waiting a long time, my 15 TLX with 24K on it when I turned it in the brakes had plenty of life left on them.
EBC Redstuff

DP31753C (I believe these are the fronts)
DP33018C (and I think these are the rears)

These remind me of the Brembos that were on the 3G Type-S I can't recommend these enough, but on silver wheels there will be visible dust.
Hey guys so far so good on the pads, no noise or issues and the stopping power is great.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Yup, I love these pads. Very assuring stopping power, a tad dusty, but I plan on washing this weekend and the pads have 1K miles so I suspect the worst dusting is over.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:38 AM

Very infrequently have I found that I don't like my brake pads...I've experienced brake fade before, and having a few vehicles I obviously feel different brakes on a day to day basis but I think it becomes the job of the driver to learn the vehicle and adapt and drive accordingly.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Brain Fart already posted this earlier, DUH

Thought I would put this in. These are dirty pads Hawk HP+ combo performance street & track. Stop fast under 100ft from 70mph excellent fade resistance but dust quickly.

The bad news: About 2 weeks dail driving.

The Good News: A single wipe around with a dry paper shop towel.

Armor All OutLast Brake Dust Repellent. At this point did the normal spray the wheel with McGuires (sp?) wheel cleaner, hosed it off then a once over with a big sponge. Reparayed the repellent & hit the tire with some wheel black. Good to go for Cars & Coffee Saturday. About 20 minutes for all 4 wheels with no real labor.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-30-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:51 AM

those lips are gonna need a polish already...
Old 09-22-2018, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Quick update. 2K miles on the car about 1500 on the Red stuff pads. They are freaking amazing. I washed car 3 weeks ago then today and very little brake dust likley due to using the Amor All Brake Dust Repellent, it works great, my wife's 19 RDX with 890 miles had far more brake dust.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:35 AM
Styl1n

Sounds good, mine are still holding up strong no issues. My bother wants to get a set for his MDX
Old 09-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Thanks for the recs on these. Will be ordering them soon. I can live with a little more dust if the pads are as good as you guys say, and nothing will be as bad as OEM Audi/BMW dust.

I've always felt that most Honda/Acura brakes weren't aggressive enough, and I've gotten intermittent vibrations with heavy braking at high speeds in the TLX from to time due to pad deposits. The PSS tires are so good, they really point out the brakes. Have about 4mm left on the stock front pads with 38k on the clock. Plan to swap pads to these at my next oil change. Love the PSS so much, think I may ditch the OEM Goodyears, and get some DWS tires for the winter on the stock wheels.

Originally Posted by kuzdu
Sounds good, mine are still holding up strong no issues. My bother wants to get a set for his MDX
Let me know how it goes with the MDX, may consider the same for my wife's. What SUV couldn't use some better braking.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 09-26-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Styl1n

Hey Everyone just checking in with an update. So far so good, brakes a running strong and no rotor issues.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Ditto here. 2700 miles on them and yeah they dust a little, but not noticeable on ASPEC wheels. Amazing pads, smooth grippy stopping power. I am loving my 19 ASPEC, I sure hope they don’t f up the 20.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation on the EBC redstuff pads; I really love them.
Had them on for a few weeks, and they are just better in every way performance wise. Can;t comment on dust due to all the rain we are having, but having owned BMWs and Audis, even with low dust pads, these are not even in the same league for dust.

With "spirited" driving, or repetitive high speed braking, you could just tell the OEM pads were at their limit. I wouldn't say my factory brakes were warped, but you could just tell the brakes went from being smooth to feeling much coarser which I attributed to very mild pad deposition.

With the EBCs, right off the bat, just on initial bite, the brakes are almost touchy in comparison. I've quickly become accustomed to them though, and really like having that additional stopping power right off the bat.
I haven't beat on them yet, as EBC recommends casual driving for their brake in procedure, but in local driving, and with a few instances of high speed braking, they stop much better in those scenarios as well.

In all scenarios, besides actual braking performance, the brake pedal feel itself is just so much better. I am super happy with these pads, so happy, that just behind getting rid of the crappy goodyears,this is the best thing modification/maintenance upgrade you could perform on your car. Really wish I didn't wait til I had 40k miles to swap them out.

These pads feel so good, I am definitely going to get them for the wife's MDX. Driving both cars back to back, I always felt like it didn't stop as quickly as I would expect, and had a more vague pedal feel than the TLX. That gap has only gotten bigger now, so definitely looking forward to some improvement,

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 01-07-2019 at 01:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Hyde:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-07-2019), csmeance (05-26-2020)
Old 01-07-2019, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Had them on for a few weeks, and they are just better in every way performance wise. Can;t comment on dust due to all the rain we are having, but having owned BMWs and Audis, even with low dust pads, these are not even in the same league for dust.

With "spirited" driving, or repetitive high speed braking, you could just tell the OEM pads were at their limit. I wouldn't say my factory brakes were warped, but you could just tell the brakes went from being smooth to feeling much coarser which I attributed to very mild pad deposition.

With the EBCs, right off the bat, just on initial bite, the brakes are almost touchy in comparison. I've quickly become accustomed to them though, and really like having that additional stopping power right off the bat.
I haven't beat on them yet, as EBC recommends casual driving for their brake in procedure, but in local driving, and with a few instances of high speed braking, they stop much better in those scenarios as well.

In all scenarios, besides actual braking performance, the brake pedal feel itself is just so much better. I am super happy with these pads, so happy, that just behind getting rid of the crappy goodyears,this is the best thing modification/maintenance upgrade you could perform on your car. Really wish I didn't wait til I had 40k miles to swap them out.

These pads feel so good, I am definitely going to get them for the wife's MDX. Driving both cars back to back, I always felt like it didn't stop as quickly as I would expect, and had a more vague pedal feel than the TLX. That gap has only gotten bigger now, so definitely looking forward to some improvement,
Will look to them as the 135is brakes are getting close to done.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

I hope they offer them for the 19 RDX so I can get them for the wife's RDX as those OEM brakes suck as well.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde

awesome news, mine are still running strong no issues. I recently put a set of new light weight wheels on my Aspec, stopping power has increased even more. Glad you enjoyed them and I’m hoping the new type s has some good brakes if not a set of ebc reds are going on it.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:26 AM
Racer

I just bought and had installed a full set front and back with some stainless steel brake lines. The braking power difference is...WOW. I can brake so much later into a turn. I am surprised at the difference is stopping power. This is definitely how the car should have come from the factory. These are the best set of brakes now that I have had on any vehicle that I have ever owed. Total cost was $800+ yuck. $500 for install but man what a difference this has made. I haven't even put them through hard testing to see their limits but so far I am extremely happy with the results.
The following 2 users liked this post by ultrapogi:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-03-2019), Christopher. (08-09-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

The EBC red barrels make a huge difference. I have 7500 miles and the brakes are great. They do dust a bit more than I would like, but the ASPEC wheels mask it well until it gets real bad. What needs EBC brakes is the new 19 RDX, I have never felt such soft uninspiring brakes in my life as the RDX. My wife's RDX has 10K miles and I hate driving it due to the brakes.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:05 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
SH-AWD has matured nicely. In early iterations it only kicked in when only really needed, now it tends to be engaged even under mild acceleration or load. It is truly an under appreciated and under advertised feature that sets Acura apart from most of its competitors.
So... I have a '19 3.5L V6 TLX SH-AWD Aspec on loan for about a week or who knows how long, until mine is done being fixed... So far, I prefer my FWD P-AWS TLX to this SH-AWD, but, that's because mine has "learned" how I like to drive and this hasn't yet (I presume that's why) and, I also have a Sprint Booster on mine. This one seems to have more of that "must rev up before you feel acceleration" aspect that I absolutely hate. I want to feel the acceleration WHILE the engine is revving up!?! I don't want to have the engine revving, meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the accel to kick in, wtf is that?!? Torque converter too sloppy or something? Slow clutch engagement in the automatic? I really don't know.

Strangely, also, turning of Traction Control on this SH-AWD has a much less noticeable effect than it does on my FWD TLX - once I do that on mine, I feel fully in control of the throttle, I can even burn out at will if I want (which I do not often feel like doing, just once in a while it's fun). So, yes, I have to be more careful not to slip my front wheels as you do not on the SH-AWD, but, it's not like it happens often against my wishes, I simply have learned how to modulate the throttle, use the paddle shifters, and my car feels like it has plenty of power and is decently fast off the line (though not like a RWD V8 of course).
Old 08-09-2019, 12:07 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I just bought and had installed a full set front and back with some stainless steel brake lines. The braking power difference is...WOW. I can brake so much later into a turn. I am surprised at the difference is stopping power. This is definitely how the car should have come from the factory. These are the best set of brakes now that I have had on any vehicle that I have ever owed. Total cost was $800+ yuck. $500 for install but man what a difference this has made. I haven't even put them through hard testing to see their limits but so far I am extremely happy with the results.
Do you know, does the Aspec take a different part # brake pad than the non-Aspec V6?
Old 08-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Racer

Do you know, does the Aspec take a different part # brake pad than the non-Aspec V6?
I am pretty sure that they are all the same across the board at least on the V6. I contacted Chris at Xlr8 and told him what I wanted and he got everything set up for me and sent me an invoice and mailed it off after I paid for it. He made it really easy for me.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
All TLX's use the same brake pads:
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-pa...dXRvbWF0aWM%3D
Old 08-13-2019, 06:08 AM

The Type S will get carbon ceramic rotors though
Old 04-13-2020, 10:40 AM
Styl1n

Hope everyone is safe during these times. After 24k miles it’s time for me to change my ebc reds, they are low and ready to be swapped out for a fresh pair. I ordered another set and will be installing this weekend. I recently flashed my car with Ktuner….best thing I ever did and now I decided to change the brakes since it’s low and there is some extra power there. My lease is up in September but I may extend it to wait for the Type S.
csmeance (04-18-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 04:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Hope everyone is safe during these times. After 24k miles it’s time for me to change my ebc reds, they are low and ready to be swapped out for a fresh pair. I ordered another set and will be installing this weekend. I recently flashed my car with Ktuner….best thing I ever did and now I decided to change the brakes since it’s low and there is some extra power there. My lease is up in September but I may extend it to wait for the Type S.
Glad you got 24K out of them. My car has 13K miles on them and I was not driving as much as expected before Covid and with about 14 months left om my lease I suspect these will make it until I turn it in. I love these Reds. Best most economical improvement that can be made. Stopping power and feel is phenomenal. The do dust a bit, odd how EBC rates dusting as low as I would hate to see what they think High is.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:40 AM
Styl1n

Finally swapped out my current EBC reds for a fresh new set, also changed the rotors I got regular Centric plain. As you can see from the pic the pads were pretty much done, I should not have waited so long but the rotors took over a month to come. Got about 24k miles out of the pad and it feels good again to get that Big bite back lol. I also bedded them after the install 6 stops from 60 to 15 so it's nice and coated.

Last edited by kuzdu; 05-11-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally swapped out my current EBC reds for a fresh new set, also changed the rotors I got regular Centric plain. As you can see from the pic the pads were pretty much done, I should not have waited so long but the rotors took over a month to come. Got about 24k miles out of the pad and it feels good again to get that Big bite back lol. I also bedded them after the install 6 stops from 60 to 15 so it's nice and coated.

NICE! I'm thinking about changing mine to these too. Were you aggressive with braking for it to wear at 24K? I'm at 37K on stock pads and ready for the swap LOL.

Where did you get your centric disks? I had them on my accord with akebono pads and LOVED the pairing.

Quick Reply: A-Spec Brakes :-/