2018 MDX Sport Hybrid??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 11:31 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 MDX Sport Hybrid??

The 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid is the only Acura I'm interested in for the following reasons:
- It is the only Acura that has the 3 following items: V6 engine, Android Auto/Apple Car Play, No ZF 9 speed Transmission

I am only interested in the MDX Sport Hybrid Tech Trim, as I need 3 seats in the second row.

The problem is, none of my local dealers stock any. I have been checking all my local dealers, and only one 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Tech in my area has been available in the past year, and I didn't like the color. There have been a handful of Sport Hybrid Advance Trims, but I have not seen any recently. I have not seen any 2018 Sport Hybrids offered, and we're almost into April. I want a 2018 for the better infotainment.

How do I get a reasonable deal on this, if none of my local dealers stock them? If the dealers will not give me a good deal, then I have no interest in the vehicle, as value is the primary reason that attracted me to Acura.

I can get a great deal on an Audi Q5 or Q7. I have multiple Audi dealers that keep a huge inventory in stock.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Depending on where you are at, it can be a real struggle to find one at a good price. Here in CA, dealers are selling them at MSRP. People in the midwest (IL, OH) are getting them for a more reasonable 53.8 for the advance hybrid. I ended up just getting the regular advanced for 52k last week since getting it shipped from IL was way too much hassle. On the bright side, the ZF on the 2018 ones has been reprogrammed and does not have any issues the older models had. The non-hybrid also gets better real world high way mileage than the hybrid because it effectively becomes a 1.8L 3 cyl. engine when cruising.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Hybrids are hard to come by period as production is limited. The 2018 model has only been in production for a couple of months now. I too was interested only in the '18 hybrid (advance), and had a specific color combo in mind. My first stop in early February, was in person at the closest Acura dealer to my area. They were all talk as they had no '18 I was interested in and they tried to push a leftover '17 hybrid on me. I was not interested as I too wanted the improved infotech and the CarPlay. They claimed they couldn't even order an '18. Next stop was online. I built a car on Edmunds.com and that basically opened me up to receive quotes. I talked to three dealerships, outside of my local area, but still within driving range before I found one willing to get off of the MSRP AND to do the leg work to locate my exact vehicle. That proved successful. Yes, I will have to go out of my local area by about an hours drive to get my vehicle, but it is what I want at a price point I am willing to pay. The vehicle is in transit and should be here in about 2 weeks. Roughly a 2 month process.

I am not sure where you are located, but it helps to have multiple dealers within a reasonable area. Edmunds.com, KBB.com, etc. usually can show you the going rate for your area. You should be able to at least get that price, if not better. Again, you may have to do some work, and go out of your way a little, but it may get you what you want. Just looking around on some of the posts here on this forum, it appears location is a factor. Some are reporting the ability to deal, and others not so much. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:55 PM
Racer

I am located in Texas. Lots of dealers, plenty of regular 2018 MDX SH-AWDs, but no Sport Hybrids. Every now and then one may have a Sport Hybrid Advance, which I do not want. I will never by an Acura with a ZF 9 speed. Again, I can get a great deal on an Audi. I'm very disappointed that Acura put a terrible transmission into multiple vehicles I would have been interested in (TLX and MDX).

If I cannot get a deal, I will wait to see the 2019 RDX or leave the brand altogether.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Advanced

Do you have personal experience with the ZF that you hate it so much lol? The new reprogrammed ones do not have the glitchy downshifts the earlier ones did, but to each their own. I'd personally love a Nissan type CVT on this but I know folks who hate it.
The following users liked this post:
teh CL (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 01:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by undertaker2k8
Do you have personal experience with the ZF that you hate it so much lol? The new reprogrammed ones do not have the glitchy downshifts the earlier ones did, but to each their own. I'd personally love a Nissan type CVT on this but I know folks who hate it.
Yes - I had multiple ZF9 loaners. I know it has gotten better, but it still lags. It's OK for highway driving, but the ZF9 rears its ugly side when trying to pass at lights, in stop and go traffic, or any spirited driving.

I have test driven a Sport Hybrid. It's a totally different vehicle. Acura should have made them more available and added a Sport Hybrid Type S TLX - it would have really elevated the brand.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Advanced

It's adaptive transmission so it learns your driving patterns (the 9 speed), 5 days into driving the MDX, I can already feel it behaving better with how I drive. Might be confirmation bias but it does seem to 'learn'.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:48 PM
Greb 06 RL

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
AcuraGuy2016, Before you blow off the MDX Sport Hybrid as 'my way' or 'the highway' please take a long test drive on the same day in both the gas model and hybrid model. Some things are worth the extra money and IMO that goes for the sport hybrid MDX. Acura seems to be making the MDX sport hybrid their 'mid year' model for 2017 and 2018, so deals are hard to find on your specific model and color. For 2017 Acura only made about 2000 Sport Hybrids out of the 55,000 total MDXs. Of that 2000 only about 200 were the tech model. Good luck...
moose66 (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 08:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running into same issue with my parents. My mom's car was totaled in January (Lexus RX hybrid) and they wanted more space, which led them to the MDX Sport Hybrid (which wasn't out when they bought the Lexus). They placed an order on a 2018 Advance model (with two different color preferences) right after the on-sale date in February but only one has been allocated anywhere in the state of Pennsylvania since then (none in their part of the state). Out of three dealers, only one is finally getting a Sport Hybrid, and it's only a Tech model. Acura corporate tried to intervene but somehow forgot you can't "order" cars and can only request an allocation. The dealer they chose (with the best price) is a smaller one as well, so they may also be low man on the totem pole. Meanwhile, I've seen cars matching their request in Rochester, New York and North Carolina, but not anywhere closer. Hoping one gets allocated in April, but I'm not optimistic.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vuwildcat07
Running into same issue with my parents. My mom's car was totaled in January (Lexus RX hybrid) and they wanted more space, which led them to the MDX Sport Hybrid (which wasn't out when they bought the Lexus). They placed an order on a 2018 Advance model (with two different color preferences) right after the on-sale date in February but only one has been allocated anywhere in the state of Pennsylvania since then (none in their part of the state). Out of three dealers, only one is finally getting a Sport Hybrid, and it's only a Tech model. Acura corporate tried to intervene but somehow forgot you can't "order" cars and can only request an allocation. The dealer they chose (with the best price) is a smaller one as well, so they may also be low man on the totem pole. Meanwhile, I've seen cars matching their request in Rochester, New York and North Carolina, but not anywhere closer. Hoping one gets allocated in April, but I'm not optimistic.
Were they offering any discount? I really don't understand Acura. When they finally make something good that may set the brand apart, they severely restrict production.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GrebRL
AcuraGuy2016, Before you blow off the MDX Sport Hybrid as 'my way' or 'the highway' please take a long test drive on the same day in both the gas model and hybrid model. Some things are worth the extra money and IMO that goes for the sport hybrid MDX. Acura seems to be making the MDX sport hybrid their 'mid year' model for 2017 and 2018, so deals are hard to find on your specific model and color. For 2017 Acura only made about 2000 Sport Hybrids out of the 55,000 total MDXs. Of that 2000 only about 200 were the tech model. Good luck...
No doubt it's worth the extra money over the regular gas model, but there are other vehicles than the MDX than may offer better value with discounts. If I have to pay MSRP, the Sport Hybrid will depreciate just as much as the regular MDX, and I'll take a huge depreciation hit.

I can get great deals on Audis in my area. I can get an Audi at a better price than the MDX Sport Hybrid, with similar 0-60 performance numbers and nicer more updated interior. I liked Acura for the better value, but the depreciation on a full MSRP Sport Hybrid would be no less than depreciation on German when getting a great deal.

I would take the MDX Sport Hybrid over German if I could get a good deal on it.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:23 PM
Greb 06 RL

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
AcuraGuy2016, I must disagree with your assumption that the Sport Hybrid MDX will depreciate at the same rate as the gas MDX. It is supply and demand in a free market and the Hybrid MDX is a 'Limited Edition'. If you go to KBB.com and compare a 2017 MDX sport hybrid to a gas model, the hybrid is worth a lot more both in trade in value and private party sale. Much more in fact, than the $1500 up charge for the Hybrid. Just saying...
Old 03-24-2018, 10:48 PM
Advanced

Part of the reason is that for the regular MDX, Kbb only has pricing options for the base FWD and AWD, not the tech and advance pkgs, where as for the hybrid is shows the tech and advance pkgs. That said the hybrid is going for 3-5k over regular so if you can get it for the 1500 more then get it.For me, it was atleast 3k more plus a months wait plus shipping hassle, too many variables at play.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:50 AM
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 140 Posts
I waited until November to snag a 2017 Hybrid Advance after Acura finally offered a reasonable lease (the incentives in November were excellent). The infotainment in the 2017 was not so bothersome to pass on it and I was suspicious about their then announcement that the 2018's were to be introduced in "winter". With production shifted to Ohio and my 2015 lease expiring in early February I went with the 2017 and it truly is an awesome ride.Seeing the limited availability and late production of the 2018'sI am glad I did.

Supply and demand is the key to pricing. No automaker (or dealer) wants to have to offer deep discounts and incentives to move vehicles if they don't have to. We may not like it as consumers but this is a fact of life.

The 2019 RDX will likely have few discounts or incentive for many months if all we have read about that model holds up.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Advanced

I agree but what I dislike is the fact the folks in IL can get it for 54k and in CA you'll be lucky to snag one for 58k (and then pay tax on top which can't be helped). That's too much of a regional incentive for it to be fair. What's even worse is what Infiniti is doing with the QX50, artificially limiting production for all versions to increase demand and pricing it higher than german cars!That simply ain't gonna work for more than a month or two.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you just need to go get an Audi and spare yourself continued agony.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Advanced

After dieselgate and exhaust monkey business (literally testing exhaust fumes on monkeys till 2016) no one should buy a VW/Audi/Porsche. The 2013 A6 (before all of this broke) will be our last.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
Were they offering any discount? I really don't understand Acura. When they finally make something good that may set the brand apart, they severely restrict production.
Yes. They offered just under $56k. Another dealer offered $500 over invoice, but we didn't even know what invoice was at the time (this was before the release date), so we were wary of that one.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

. . . . . . . Meanwhile, I've seen cars matching their request in Rochester, New York and North Carolina, but not anywhere closer. Hoping one gets allocated in April, but I'm not optimistic.
Why not swing a deal on one of those which is already on a lot? If you're in PA, you're well within road trip, or fly and drive distance for either location.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by moose66
Why not swing a deal on one of those which is already on a lot? If you're in PA, you're well within road trip, or fly and drive distance for either location.
May come to that. My dad was trying to start a relationship with a local dealer and the price was good. The question will be whether the deposit he put down is refundable.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:10 AM
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 140 Posts

May come to that. My dad was trying to start a relationship with a local dealer and the price was good. The question will be whether the deposit he put down is refundable.
I am pretty sure all deposits would be refundable. If there was a problem I am sure Acura Corporate would step in. in fact the threat to call them likely would result in an immediate refund.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pens Fan
I am pretty sure all deposits would be refundable. If there was a problem I am sure Acura Corporate would step in. in fact the threat to call them likely would result in an immediate refund.
. . . or better help in locating the vehicle you are after. Dealers can do allocation swaps, if they are willing.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by undertaker2k8
it is far from fixed. Just ask Neuronbob and his ZF9 experience. For the record- the Nissan CVTs are shit, too. A friend of mine worked at a Nissan dealer and said the bigger SUVs were constantly coming in with shot transmissions. On average, about 2 per week were coming in, needing a replacement.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

Finally, one showed up in the Pittsburgh area (though not at the dealer my parents ordered and not one they want to deal with after a poor experience trying to work with them). Funny thing is Acura says one is on the lot and one is in transit, but the dealer's site only shows a 2017, and there were none at that dealer on Acura's site yesterday (so I don't believe one is already there). Not sure the dealer they used has anything of comparable value with which to trade, but we'll see.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I purchased a 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid with tech package two weeks ago. I paid $50250 including all destination and handling fees. I thought it was a great deal. I had to drive from Baton Rouge LA to just outside of Houston TX, but I felt like it was well worth it. I purchased it from AutoNation Acura in League City TX and they were great to deal with. I just kept looking for crystal black pearl sport hybrids with the tech package within 500 miles and went after this one as soon as I saw it. I am very satisfied with my purchase!
Old 03-31-2018, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I am supremely satisfied with both of our sport hybrids. We are very fortunate to have them. It is a tough choice as to which one to take on a trip if cargo requirements are not an issue. The RLX Sport Hybrid is way more "sporty" and is clearly a faster vehicle from every measure. However for serene cruising and a pleasant ride, it is hard for me to imagine a smoother driving experience. It is quiet, efficient and attractive. Ok I'm done.
pilozm (04-01-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 02:31 PM
Cruisin'

Doesn't sound like my parents' dealer has had any luck having a car allocated. Not sure if they know about the one coming into the area or if it has been pre-sold (or if the dealer won't trade). The sales manager said he might have to have the owner intervene, and they sounded frustrated as well. If there's no car allocated next month, my dad is willing to back out and find another dealer with one, as it could otherwise be until June before one arrives.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Cruisin'

Well things just got more interesting. All of a sudden, a grey hybrid just appeared in the inventory for this dealer on Acura's website. Wasn't there yesterday, but Acura now says it's "on the lot" rather than "in transit". The problem is the dealer's website does not list the car, and nobody ever called to say a car had come in (as of last Friday, they didn't know they were even getting one any time soon). Anyone have experiences like this?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Acura corporate is in control of Acura.com and attempts to show vehicles allocated to a specific dealership. The individual dealerships control their websites. The vehicle may be on the lot according to corporate allocation records, but may not appear at the local dealership site for any number of reasons. It may already be sold. I'd be more inclined to call and talk to a sales manager as opposed to just relying on the website. It may take a while to update a website.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Cruisin'

Acura corporate is in control of Acura.com and attempts to show vehicles allocated to a specific dealership. The individual dealerships control their websites. The vehicle may be on the lot according to corporate allocation records, but may not appear at the local dealership site for any number of reasons. It may already be sold. I'd be more inclined to call and talk to a sales manager as opposed to just relying on the website. It may take a while to update a website.
They did after I notified them the car was showing up. It was pre-sold to someone else. Our guess is a return customer, because my family ordered right when they went on sale (if not slightly before). They are actually trying to trade with another dealer who got an identical car (supposedly this other dealer wants TLX A-Spec in our dealer's stock) but no guarantee they will agree to it. A little disappointing for them to say we weren't in some sort of line, though.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Seems like you are having all sorts of issue with your local dealers. I guess they don't value you as a customer/potential customer. I too had issues, even with the dealer I bought my RLX from in 2016. Got all kinds of run around because I wouldn't bend on not wanting a '17, nor did I want whatever 2018 they claimed was already allocated to them. So I took my show on the road about 80 miles away from home (I have to pass two Acura dealers to get there). I found the dealer who was willing to do the legwork to close the deal. My hybrid is showing up as "In Transit" on the Acura.com site and should be in my garage by the end of next week.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have to drive out of state to get mine. I am from CT and the first dealer sold the car that we put a reservation. We arrived several hours late on a Saturday afternoon. The offer from MA was way much better, though. I guess it was a blessing in disguise for me and my wife.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Cruisin'

So my dad had told the dealer they were giving them until this week to find a car or they were walking. In the meantime, we had a family emergency with an elderly relative that would require a bigger vehicle to transport her, so the urgency to have the car now went up. The good news is we found one at the other end of Pennsylvania that had not been pre-sold (different interior color, but we're fine with it) and the salesman at that dealer (who called us back on a Sunday, even though the dealership was closed) says it's ours for the taking this coming weekend. Supposedly the car had just arrived a few days ago and the dealer back in Pittsburgh had been calling trying to desperately trade (which they refused). Demand is high enough for the Sport Hybrid that production will be boosted in MY 2019.

The kicker is the dealer in Pittsburgh just called and said a Sport Hybrid has been allocated to them, but it is 2-3 weeks out. Wonder if we can get our deposit back now (of course, with the fact these cars sell quickly, they've had over two months to find a car, and the fact we have already engaged Acura corporate in this search, I have a feeling we will).
Old 04-16-2018, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

So my dad had told the dealer they were giving them until this week to find a car or they were walking. In the meantime, we had a family emergency with an elderly relative that would require a bigger vehicle to transport her, so the urgency to have the car now went up. The good news is we found one at the other end of Pennsylvania that had not been pre-sold (different interior color, but we're fine with it) and the salesman at that dealer (who called us back on a Sunday, even though the dealership was closed) says it's ours for the taking this coming weekend. Supposedly the car had just arrived a few days ago and the dealer back in Pittsburgh had been calling trying to desperately trade (which they refused). Demand is high enough for the Sport Hybrid that production will be boosted in MY 2019.

The kicker is the dealer in Pittsburgh just called and said a Sport Hybrid has been allocated to them, but it is 2-3 weeks out. Wonder if we can get our deposit back now (of course, with the fact these cars sell quickly, they've had over two months to find a car, and the fact we have already engaged Acura corporate in this search, I have a feeling we will).
Thankfully, the first dealer did agree to refund the deposit this morning. They probably understand our decision given the circumstances. Besides, I have a feeling they will have no issue selling that car.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:15 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GEtting my Hybrid tomorrow 4/17/18

At 10:00 AM I will pick up my 2018 Acura MDX Advance Hybrid. Hard to say good by to my 2014 MDX Advance in perfect condition with less than 37,000 miles.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

I picked mine (actually the Mrs. daily driver) on Friday. It arrived a week early from Ohio after the original allocation to the dealer was secured in early February. Sweet ride. She actually let me ride drive it a little bit over the weekend. LOL. I am glad to get my RLX back full-time. So glad I washed her up yesterday and she is sitting in the garage right now spotless!

The dealer did say he has been fielding calls daily for folks looking for the MDX hybrid. They are in very high demand. The fact they are in such high demand doesn't explain how if you can get one, you can get it for under MSRP. Believe me, I am not complaining about that. Good luck to those who are seeking out one.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

The dealer did say he has been fielding calls daily for folks looking for the MDX hybrid. They are in very high demand. The fact they are in such high demand doesn't explain how if you can get one, you can get it for under MSRP. Believe me, I am not complaining about that. Good luck to those who are seeking out one.
TrueCar was quoting under $54k as the lowest price for an Advance model (or the average price, can't remember). One dealer was quoting under $55k. My only theory is there's enough "profit" (kickbacks) baked into the price that they can sell for under invoice and the dealer still makes money. Might be more of that with luxury cars than mainstream models.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
TrueCar was quoting under $54k as the lowest price for an Advance model (or the average price, can't remember). One dealer was quoting under $55k. My only theory is there's enough "profit" (kickbacks) baked into the price that they can sell for under invoice and the dealer still makes money. Might be more of that with luxury cars than mainstream models.
I agree with your theory. I got mine way under invoice and the dealership was still happy.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:04 AM
Cruisin'

Picked up the car on Saturday up in Allentown, PA. Dealer was very pleasant to deal with (maybe when there is an RDX hybrid, I'll bite myself, but I was told by the salesman it would be 2021 at the earliest). They said the model we had been looking for (Sport Hybrid Advance AWD) only comprised about 1.25% of total MDX production, if that gives you an idea of the rarity. I did have an opportunity to drive briefly before I had to leave my parents at the dealer to go to another event - was definitely impressed. The Espresso interior color definitely grew on me after seeing it in person.

I think the only surprise I found (after having come from Lexus, where this was the case) was that the hybrid components don't seem to have any extra warranty over the rest of the powertrain?
Old 04-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Im almost positive the batteries are warrantied for 8.5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
pilozm (04-23-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid??