Odd Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by roycer60
The cheap flimsy panel under the engine is the cause of my road noise. I would like some more detail about how to put washers in the plastic clips/pins that hold it in place. Any washer? Plastic washer? Is the plastic clip/pin reusable once removed?
did you fix the road noise? what approach worked best for you? I also have the same questions about the type of washers, if the clips are reusable or not, etc

ps: I am going through the same ordeal with some road noise caused by loose clips and flimsy plastic panel under engine. This is something that I would prefer to fix myself instead of letting the dealer service dept do it

Last edited by mindanalyzer; 06-16-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, new to this message board, previously posting on a different Acura board. I just bought a new 2015 RDX AWD Tech - my 3rd Acura. This thread has been my home since I picked up the car as my RDX has what I consider to be too much wind noise at speeds of 60+mph. As my wife describes it, it sounds like a window is cracked from all the wind noise from this car. So far, the dealer has had the car more than I have in trying to diagnose the problem. So far I have:
- Tried the paper feeler gauge trick and it is very tight around the top of the door and the sides, but much looser on the bottom. Dealer says they tried this on 3 other new RDX's and they are all the same way.
- Checked the plastic panels under the car and they are all secure. I don't think this is the cause of this problem.
- Have taken dealer personnel out on test rides and they have test driven other RDX's and they say the noise level is the same.
- Have spoken to a friend with a 2013 RDX that says they have no problem with wind noise.
- Dealer has checked with Acura Tech Line and no other reports of this problem there.
- Dealer is trying to get Acura Zone Rep to come take a look at the car.

I don't know where this is going, but my fear is they are all going to tell me that the noise level is normal and there is nothing they can do.

Thought I would ask others here what they thought of the wind noise levels in their second gen RDX's and get any other thoughts on what might be causing my issue.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Do you have roof rails with crossbars? I have roof rails and no cross bars, and I don't think it is noisy enough to complain about. The outside mirrors are large, and could be one source of wind noise. Try folding them in, take it up to 60mph, to see if there is any difference. The other thing you may be hearing are the tires against the pavement. I just crank up the XM radio to volume 12-13.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:16 PM
7th Gear

Thanks Rosen. I'll give the mirrors a try if/when I get the vehicle back. No roof rack, thus no crossbars. The wind noise is very noticeable above the road noise from the tires, though the tire noise is somewhat high, it is what I would expect from an SUV.

I talked to the service manager this afternoon. Suggested that when he talks to the zone rep, find out what the design criteria is for interior noise in the RDX for a given speed, then it is a simple matter of getting a Db meter and measuring the sound level.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Did anyone ever locate the TSB mentioned in the older posts?
Old 11-05-2014, 04:50 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the note 5 (I am only on #3 - but I tend to keep mine a long time). I actually gave the service tech a copy of this tread and he knew about the plastic panels and said he had done a few of those repairs. We don't think that is the source of this wind noise. This is a new 2015, so hopefully the plastic panel issue has been corrected.

Really, the noise sounds like it is coming through the lower door seal. But the tech says that he checked other new RDX's and the were all looser at the bottom of the door than the top (of course that doesn't mean that it is OK).

Still waiting to hear what the Acura Zone Rep has to say.............
Old 11-14-2014, 03:00 PM
7th Gear

Just picked up the RDX from the dealer. They sent the car to the body shop and replaced the door seals on all 4 doors and checked the alignment of all doors (no problem found there). The car is considerably quieter than before. We also test drove a dealer loaner '15 RDX and it had as much as our had before this work was done. Very interesting. I also noted that even with the improvements made, the RDX is still noiser than the MDX that they had given me as a loaner.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
New to the forum. 2016 RDX advance package. I knew of acura's reputation for wind noise (two neighbors with acuras), but was told they put thicker windows in the doors and now use a triple door seal. Test drove an RDX twice and was raining both times. When we picked up our RDX it was raining. Wind noise is present at just about any speed (not tire noise, but wind noise). They scheduled me to take the car in 60 days after purchase for any issues and am really hoping they can resolve this. It's like the front windows are open a crack, but they aren't. Thanks to those who provided possible solutions.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if someone can post pictures of a step by step that would be helpful
Old 09-23-2015, 12:03 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Took my 2016 RDX to the dealer today. The acknowledged the wind noise from the A pillars. We drove another 2016 RDX and it had the exact same noise. Tech told me he had been with Honda/acura for 20 years and wind noise has always been an issue for them. He said that he gets a lot of customers in with wind noise complaints, but there's nothing they can do. I agree with him. It's the design. Honda and Acura have long been known for wind noise. Perhaps one day Honda or Acura will have one of their engineers go for a ride in a corolla or camry to see what a car is like with no wind noise.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just an update I took my car into the dealer for a oil change and told them that I heard usual wind noise when driving on the highway. Got the car back and on the receipt it says that they lubed the driver side door???
How does this help , didn't notice a change? Should I go back and show them the TSB?
Old 01-04-2018, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear

Thank you, guys (and girls). A friend just bought a 2017 RDX and has some irritating wind noise. We will definitely check this out.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

So I have a 2017 RDX and the noise from the driver side window is driving me crazy. I hear it at 35-40MPH+. its a definite whistling wind noise, like the window is cracked a bit. Took the dealer out for a test drive and they heard it too. It's been in the shop 3x already and they reset the latch, replaced a molding and then had to replace a different molding (that they bent replacing the 1st molding). I have one more appointment scheduled and I told them I want a regional manager to look at it. Are you folks saying that it's a weather stripping door seals issue or an issue of the plastic panels?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Cruisin'

I have 2016 RDX with loud whistling noise only when I travel about 60 mph. I was reading this thread that it could be putting spacer between panel and body frame where clips go in. Just wondering if bulletin was put out for this fix or any updates. I plan to take to dealer next week. Thanks
Old 12-09-2019, 03:45 PM
Cruisin'

FYI, I found the bulletin and added URL it just in case someone needs it.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B12-026.PDF