2016 RDX Advance Parking Sensor Craziness!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 RDX Advance Parking Sensor Craziness!

My wife's 2016 RDX has been acting up just recently. The driver side front corner parking sensor keeps going off as if there is something we're about to hit (i.e. another car). The car in front is no where near where the sensor normally activates. We would be driving down the street and it would just keep beeping even if no cars are around us. In order for the beeping to not bug us we have to turn off the parking sensor via the parking button.

Is there a "reset" procedure or something to tell the stupid thing that nothing is there! Any one else have this issue yet? Might have to bring it in if it keeps doing it.
The following users liked this post:
ScarlettWinterRose (09-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2015, 04:26 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Damn that sounds annoying. I haven't personally experienced it but I would definitely take it in to the dealer. That's what a warranty is for. Sucks but take advantage of it.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Mine did the same on the passengers side front corner. It started one day with occasional false alarms, and by the end of the week is was alerting me every few minutes.

The next time I washed the RDX I spent extra time focusing on the sensor. It didn't seem to help immediately afterwards, but after a few more days, all false alarms stopped entirely. And yes, I did test to make sure it would alert me for real alarms.

That has been about 3 weeks now without a single false alarm. I don't know if the cleaning helped, or maybe I had a connector that was loose, and hitting a pothole helped re-position the connector.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the replies. I cleaned the front bumper yesterday as the car was pretty dirty. I'll have to find out from my wife whether the false alarms keep happening. Hopefully I'll have success with just the cleaning like you did Rick, but if not, I'll definitely be bringing it in to the dealer to resolve.

I need to bring it in for the brake squealing anyways but I want to kill two birds with one stone while I'm at the dealer. Got so annoyed with the brake squeal that I've even tried slamming on the brakes to "clean" off anything that might be sticking on the pad.

I'll keep you guys posted regarding the sensor issue.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:14 PM
The Original Shawdy

Damn you really shouldn't be having any issues with your 16'. Definitely keep us posted.

The lane departure will go off if it believes you are crossing a line. Whether it is a big crack in the road or a previously painted lane strip. Only false alerts I get sometimes.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

Yea I have the lane departure turned off but that is working properly. Just the "warning object is close" sensor goes off.

So the wife drove the car to work today and the sensor went haywire again. She pushed the button to turn it off and then turned it back on and it hasn't made a peep since this morning. I'll have her keep an eye out for it because it shouldn't even be going off like this. It happens so randomly that I hope when I take it in to the dealer they can replicate the issue. I should try and record what is going on with a camera to show them. It'll be a good excuse for me to use my GoPro again.

Thank goodness it's happening now and not after my warranty expires (I guess...).
Old 08-26-2015, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I would highly recommend using a dash cam or go-pro and record the whole thing. It is not for evidence; instead the service technicians can look at the video to determine what is wrong.

I am guessing that wax might have gotten inside the sensor and caused some problems or someone used a pressure washer to wash the sensor. Just a thought.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Parking sensor

RDXtasy, nope, that problem is not unique to your RDX.
My 2016 had the same problem about three weeks ago, and the sensors were sending false alarms for about three days.
I was about to take it to my dealer, when they suddenly stopped....
The next time they act up, i will.....
Its evidently a problem with the RDX sensor system, and not your specific vehicle.....
Old 08-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

So on Tuesday of this week (the day after turning the Parking sensor on and off) my wife told me another sensor went off. This time is was the rear sensor as she was backing out of our driveway. This was the only time it went off and hasn't done it since.

The good news, I guess, is that the front sensor, or any other sensor, has not had any false alarms since. Everything seems to be working fine for now but since I have to take the car in for squealing brakes anyways, I'll have them check the sensors out. Not sure when I'll take the car in but when I do I'll let you guys know if they find anything wrong with the sensors.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Cruisin'

So since posting this the sensors have been acting normal and not throwing any false alarms. So weird!

Maybe it was the car telling me to keep her clean and wash her? Just like what RDX-Rick said about washing the car, I did the same but without paying any more attention to the sensors. To this day nothing out of the ordinary has happened.

I'll still make a mention of it when I bring it in to the Stealership for my squealing brake issue. The brakes are annoying me too much. Granted it's my wife's daily driver but when I drive it on our weekends out, it irks me to no end.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:37 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXtasy
So since posting this the sensors have been acting normal and not throwing any false alarms. So weird!
Good to hear everything is working, and I hope it stays that way because it will be almost impossible for the dealer to fix an intermittent problem ( unless of course it is a wide spread problem). A couple of weeks after I posted the suggestion about cleaning, the same sensor started acting up again. Fortunately it only occurred for 2 days before stopping. I haven't had a single problem since then.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:26 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sensor problem

i have a 2016 advance all parking sensors not working mid display shows malfuction, dealer made repairs connection to the harness was the problem.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:03 AM
The Original Shawdy

Originally Posted by dennis1a
i have a 2016 advance all parking sensors not working mid display shows malfuction, dealer made repairs connection to the harness was the problem.
Curious to know how you bought a 2016 RDX with these issues and it went unnoticed (especially throwing an error on the mid).
Old 12-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
So anyone else having problems with parking sensor? Mine went off today while sitting at a stop light. Never happened before and I suspect it maybe dirty after some snow and now dirty roads? Thanks
Old 12-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
I am getting a Parking Sensor System problem message every time I turn it on. Looks like I'll be taking it in to get checked out.
Chris Schuster (04-21-2020)
Old 12-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Yeah me too and even gave the car a good cleaning and that did not help. One thing I was worried about on my advance model was to many bells and whistles.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday morning and pickup a loaner (brand new TSX). The adviser said it was the rain sensor wiper component that caused the parking sensor error. The wiper only wipes like intermittent wiper (not rain sensing). They order the part that came in at 2:00pm. They wanted to keep the car over night to make sure everything is fixed.

The adviser called this morning and says the wiper is not working 100% and they want to do more test. So the story is still going....

Parts do come in fast and I am driving a loaner. Well I am not too unhappy.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:07 PM
1st Gear

16 RDX advance parking sensor

I just got my brand new 16 RDX advance three weeks ago. On the first week the senor was going off like crazy, even when there was nothing around me. I cleaned it, took it to the dealer, they cleaned it and cleaned the senors. It helped for a week then it happened again (not as often) the first time it would go off the whole time I'm driving... i took it back in and its currently being serviced but they are saying the new senors they put on are still acting up so it's a deeper issue that they are trying to figure out. My car was only supposed to be in there for a day... its been two and they still cant figure it out. Did yours get resolved?
Old 10-07-2016, 08:18 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
Just started doing this today. We had a ton of rain lately so I'll give it a good wash and see what happens. 2017 elite.

2016 RDX Advance Parking Sensor Craziness!-9uncxsx.jpg
Old 10-07-2016, 08:55 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

This ridgeline owner has same issue and had to get the control unit replaced.

"Parking Sensor System Problem" Message - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Old 10-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
I hope this isn't a sign of bad things to come...
Old 10-16-2016, 03:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
was the bumper worked on?

with the sensors that are built into the bumpers, they cannot be repaired when damaged and must be replaced. The actual thickness of the paint can cause issues...
Old 10-20-2016, 11:46 AM
3rd Gear

My 2016 Advance does the same thing. The front sensors go off with nothing around the vehicle. All of the sensors have been replaced and the car still has the same problem. We contacted Acura and an engineer has already checked the car. It cannot be fixed. Acura denied knowing about this problem. The radio displays all the presets blank and the rear hatch opens on its own in the middle of the night. We even have security camera video of the hatch opening. When it rains the problems are worse. The dealership we use is great but Acura corporate will not admit the problems with these vehicles. I have videos of multiple electrical problems
Old 10-25-2016, 08:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my 2017 RDX, the front sensors go off while raining and when I come to complete stop. It's continuously ON until I move, then it's off while moving until I stop at the next light. Not sure anyone has similar problem.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sathiyan
In my 2017 RDX, the front sensors go off while raining and when I come to complete stop. It's continuously ON until I move, then it's off while moving until I stop at the next light. Not sure anyone has similar problem.
My wife leaves the sensors on all the time. Just drove through a pretty heavy rain on I-40 and pulled off and stopped. No issues....weird what's happening to yours.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:33 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Parking sensor issues

My '16 Maint. Info. got the same message. I checked all front sensors for any damage and dirt issues. Then I checked the connectors on the back side and all wiring going to them. You can get to all 4 by dropping
the "plastic pan" under the front end. I just wanted to see if anything simple I could find on my own. I'm a long way from my dealer. Found nothing visually wrong....the info display stayed on unless we shut it off
with the button left side of steering column. Took it to the dealer....hooked up the "reader and laptop" and the "code will come up" and also tell you the exact sensor....or whatever....that is causing the problem.
My #3 was not working. I was right there watching the procedure. Verification was done....he had to order one since they did not have my color in stock. After receiving he popped it in WITHOUT having to remove the front
bumper cover. Their instructions say to remove it....but, not necessary. Put car on hoist and he removed the bottom pan...easy....and he could reach the sensor with his hand to be able to swap it for the new one. Did a test
drive around the facilities to make sure it was working properly....it was. Actual labor time for him was under and hour. Remember....he didn't remove the entire front bumper cover as their own directions tell them. He knew
he could do it without doing that. I asked IF the sensors were a big problem....or not. Basically he hadn't seen very many, but, yes, had replaced 4 or 5.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:15 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

The issue is what will be the cost when the vehicles are OUT of warranty. These sensors may become problematic for whatever reason at any point in time and would require replacement through the dealer.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Know anyone with a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, etc..??? After warranty is out? Now THAT's expensive! I beat that by buying new cars before the old one has run out of warranty!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

2016 RDX parking sensor problems

dealer advised it is normal. My front parking sensors go off mostly when grey skies and at night when I stop at a light or stop sign and nothing is in front of me. Any advice?
thx
Old 01-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That is BS.

Go see another dealer.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:06 PM
KDX
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Acura604
The issue is what will be the cost when the vehicles are OUT of warranty. These sensors may become problematic for whatever reason at any point in time and would require replacement through the dealer.
I had a 5 series BMW and was quoted around $300.00 (can't remember exactly) for a front sensor plus install. Bought a brand new one out of Europe for $35.00 shipped. They are experts in the art of gouging.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally, Dealer fixed the parking sensor Issue for me. It was initially going off during wet weather and then eventually was all the time (regardless of the weather) when I stop. It was driving me crazy and I had to turn it off all the time. They replaced the sensors. Here is the snapshot of the receipt. No issues so far on my way home.

YeuEmMaiMai (02-04-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 07:52 AM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts
The front sensor keeps going off on our '17 MDX Advance any time the vehicle is under 10 mph. We'll take it in with the next service but for now we just leave the Parking Sensor switch turned off.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:47 AM
4th Gear

2017 rdx sensors behave as described here after wet from rain. Service Advisor claims can only diagnose if brought in while falsely beeping.
This has not been possible yet and have lived with it occurring a few times a month for over a year.
Was anyone able to get it repaired based on their report only, without it acting up while at dealer?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Our 2016 RDX Advance had the front corner passenger side sensor problem about five months ago. Driving in rain would trigger the sensor, and the issue remained for a day or two after the rain. The tech reset the sensor control module and the problem went away until last week.

We had another heavy rain last week and the problem popped up again. Of course, it didn't show up at the dealership. Their solution was to keep the car and put a hose on the sensor every day. Finally, after six days of 'waterboarding" the sensor, it triggered today and the tech was able to diagnose the problem as a faulty wiring harness. It's being replaced tonight and will be tested tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:36 PM
2nd Gear

2017 MDX Advance Parking Sensors Warnings/Alarms

My 2017 MDX Parking Sensor kept sounding alarm and showing "Approaching Object Warning" at every stop with nothing within range to cause this. I brought it into the dealer and they verified the problem, ordered and replaced all 4 front sensors and the wiring harness. They told me the problem was fixed and I drove the car home. The same thing happened three times on the way home and to days later, the same original problem has occurred at every stop. Any suggestions before I bring the car back in?
Old 03-09-2018, 03:18 AM
10th Gear

Hi everyone,
I bought in January AKURA RDX AWD Tech 2017m.y. (do not be surprised - we have this model with a 3.0 liter engine and 249 horsepower, all other options - are maximum)
Now the mileage is 1750 km.
The same problem with the front is the central parking detector.
They live their own life - and do not work normally.
I'm going to the dealer next Thursday...
Old 03-26-2018, 02:10 AM
10th Gear

The dealer confirmed - it is necessary to replace 2 central front parking detectors...
Old 05-06-2019, 01:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Yep, that what I just started getting!!!

Originally Posted by Acura604
Just started doing this today. We had a ton of rain lately so I'll give it a good wash and see what happens. 2017 elite.

Just pulled in the garage ... I have the same error in dash!!!
Old 04-21-2020, 12:44 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Laralola14
I just got my brand new 16 RDX advance three weeks ago. On the first week the senor was going off like crazy, even when there was nothing around me. I cleaned it, took it to the dealer, they cleaned it and cleaned the senors. It helped for a week then it happened again (not as often) the first time it would go off the whole time I'm driving... i took it back in and its currently being serviced but they are saying the new senors they put on are still acting up so it's a deeper issue that they are trying to figure out. My car was only supposed to be in there for a day... its been two and they still cant figure it out. Did yours get resolved?
Mine did it based on cross traffic signals changes. Like their left-turn arrow would go on and so would my warninng. Signal turned off, so did my warning.