2015 rdx - check engine light flashing - engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 09:53 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2015 rdx - check engine light flashing - engine misfire

Anyone else experience this with a 2015? I have had mine since 3/10/18. Two occurences where check engine light will start flashing and engine acts like it is misfiring or maybe lost a couple of cylinders. Took it to Acura dealer, and the codes were not conclusive. They offered to drive it to see if it happened again, and it did not. Still under factory warranty, but very concerned that this has happened two times in a month - both times I had about half a tank of gas and was on the interstate or had just exited. First time it happened, once I stopped and filled up with gas, the problem stopped. Second time, I took it straight to the dealership so they could hear what it was doing. The Acura Client Relations folks have been helpful, but I was not too impressed with my local Acura dealer. They did not seem real interested in helping me figure this out. Thoughts?
Old 04-24-2018, 07:44 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
pre mature coil failure?
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 07:58 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
if ACURA wont help you; either you'll need to troubleshoot it yourself...or have someone do it for you.
I'd check or troubleshoot the coilpacks and then the spark plugs...
since the block is aluminium, sometimes the spark plugs like to eject.
GET in there and troubleshoot the coils by leaving the car on and disconnecting the coilpacks one by one. engine note should change upon disconnection. if engine note does not change, that's your bad coilpack.

I would check sooner than later.
you dont want the spark plug to eject...will cause more damage. and makes it a little more difficult to repair...although not impossible with a helicoil kit.

a clogged cat can also cause misfires. make sure you're using top tier 91+AKI
auskip07 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 09:03 AM
Advanced

i also wonder if your cylinder deactivation system is causing the issue
Old 04-24-2018, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by auskip07
i also wonder if your cylinder deactivation system is causing the issue
I'm unfamiliar with vehicles that have the cylinder deactivation...
is it a known problem to cause engine misfires?
or is it just simply by feel...meaning; you can feel the engine deactivating the cylinders?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:16 AM
10th Gear

Update

So far, this has only happened twice. It has not happened in about two weeks. The plan is to go on a fairly long drive on Friday when I have the day off to see if it happens again and if stopping and turning the engine off for a few minutes will immediately resolve it. I have been in contact with Acura Customer Relations about this, and they have been very responsive and helpful. Plus, I have factory warranty through December, so there is still time to figure this out and get anything fixed that needs fixing. Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:18 AM

really hope your spark plugs dont eject in that time.
if it were me; i'd at least check the plugs to make sure they are snug....
a problem doesnt just go away on it's own.

the V6 is fairly easy to work on. all plugs can be accessed without too much finessing. the rear plugs will need a swivel head socket. but thats it.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
I'm unfamiliar with vehicles that have the cylinder deactivation...
is it a known problem to cause engine misfires?
or is it just simply by feel...meaning; you can feel the engine deactivating the cylinders?
I dont think its known for this but sounds like an ignition issue and the deactivation is ignition based. Just giving options
justnspace (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 11:58 AM

Just curious, as it's unfamiliar territory for me.
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2018, 11:59 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
really hope your spark plugs dont eject in that time.
if it were me; i'd at least check the plugs to make sure they are snug....
a problem doesnt just go away on it's own.

the V6 is fairly easy to work on. all plugs can be accessed without too much finessing. the rear plugs will need a swivel head socket. but thats it.
I will go get them checked out by my mechanic in the AM. Good advice - Thanks!
Old 04-25-2018, 05:10 PM
10th Gear

Update

Everything checked out A-OK this AM. Plugs are all in good shape along with the wires. They did a fuel system treatment. Will see how the road trip goes on Friday (Going to Great Smoky Mountains National Park and back). Thanks for all the input. Very much appreciated!
Old 04-28-2018, 07:14 PM
10th Gear

Drove over 400 miles yesterday with no sign of the issue. Maybe it solved itself? We will see. Thanks for all the input. I am enjoying this forum and all the Acura info.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:30 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my s/o was doing a ~6hr road trip yesterday and about halfway through she called me freaking out because the CEL was flashing. She pulled over and shut it off for 20-30 minutes and it was fine for the rest of the trip.

Just figured i'd add this to your thread. 2013 base FWD.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:30 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
If You have a code reader,what is the code that ocurred with the check engine light. Or ,You can stop at an auto parts store and most will read codes for free. The new cars don't allow for code clearing by code reader. The code remains until the car decides that it is ok and clears the code. This can take many thousand miles to happen. Just curious why dealer had no direction after check engine light was on.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:20 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
my s/o was doing a ~6hr road trip yesterday and about halfway through she called me freaking out because the CEL was flashing. She pulled over and shut it off for 20-30 minutes and it was fine for the rest of the trip.

Just figured i'd add this to your thread. 2013 base FWD.
Was that the first time that happened with yours? It is definitely scary when it happens, but both times it stopped after I turned the vehicle off and waited a few minutes. Let me know if that happens to you again and if you get any feedback from a mechanic or a dealer. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:21 AM
10th Gear

They were able to read the codes at Acura when it happened the second time. Said it was a "random misfire" code. It's been almost 3 weeks since that happened, and no issues have come up since then. We'll see what happens from here on out.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:31 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea I do all my own work so I was very uneasy when I heard “flashing CEL”. The only thing ive done recently was a 1x drain and fill on the trans, and an oil change a few weeks ago.

First time this has happened. Driving on the interstate, cel was flashing and the rpms were fluctuating a bit. She said everything sounded and felt fine otherwise. Seems it wouldnt feel fine if the rpms are fluctuating but I dont expect the best descriptions from her, especially when shes freaking out also lol

Her dad knows a shop up there and said he’d take it by but dont think theyve done that yet. I figured they wouldnt find anything without a constant CEL. When she gets back ill probably throw new plugs in it just so i can look at the old ones, although it only has 60k miles.

Last edited by AE_Racer; 04-30-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:26 PM
4th Gear

Flashing check engine light

Thanks for post
i have 2013 rdx
it happened wit me too I was traveling long trip after about 400 mile of driving in avarge speed 80 mph I smelled semlar to muffler smoke in side the car than the check engine light starts flashing I slow down till I stopped in nearest gas station I checked ander the hood the sound was sounds like missed fire and the engine was vaibriting I was so scared I’m away from home 400 miles with my family and can’t imagine what is going to happen if the car stopped,than tuned off the engine and checked arroud the like oil level,fuse box presses the fuses in place after that restart the engine... the check engine light disappeared also the vaibration and everything looks fine to me than I refill half about 9 gallons of supper gasoline and continue the trip ,after another 600 miles of driving everything looks fine except the rpm cauge jumps about 1/8 oh the inch up n down while driving study speed .
thank you.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

Exclamation

Originally Posted by steveskelton68
Anyone else experience this with a 2015? I have had mine since 3/10/18. Two occurences where check engine light will start flashing and engine acts like it is misfiring or maybe lost a couple of cylinders. Took it to Acura dealer, and the codes were not conclusive. They offered to drive it to see if it happened again, and it did not. Still under factory warranty, but very concerned that this has happened two times in a month - both times I had about half a tank of gas and was on the interstate or had just exited. First time it happened, once I stopped and filled up with gas, the problem stopped. Second time, I took it straight to the dealership so they could hear what it was doing. The Acura Client Relations folks have been helpful, but I was not too impressed with my local Acura dealer. They did not seem real interested in helping me figure this out. Thoughts?
Steven, did you ever solve this problem. I have the same exact problem with the same exact vehicle. In fact, I could have written your post almost word for word. Thanks
Old 05-18-2019, 06:47 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
I’m bumping this thread up because I too have had this problem. We picked up a 2015 RDX 2 months ago with 98000 miles. It was a corporate car, one owner, mandated oil changes every 7.5k.

2 weeks ago while driving my wife noticed a power loss, vibration, and flashing CEL. When I pulled the codes it was for cyl 5 and 6 misfire.

I figured the plugs were old and replaced them with NGK Laser Iridiums like OE. I swapped the plugs and switched the coil packs front to back to try to isolate any problems.

Car ran ran great afterwards but 1 week later while driving home my wife noticed the flashing CEL again. This time for Cyl 6 only.

This is time just turning the car off and back on solved the issue.

Its odd something would cause a constant misfire... Only to be cleared by an engine restart. You’d think a miss caused by bad ignition, fuel, or compression would be constant.

Just adding my my report on the same symptoms.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:05 PM

interesting!

when you pulled the plugs, what did they look like? any chance the coil packs are aftermarket?

if it were me; i'd get a compression and leak down test to KNOW what kind of condition the cylinder and heads are in.
They could be fine, or be very well the problem

also to note; the Jseries engine hates heat!
if the engine is heat soaked and knocking the ECU could be pulling power.

Last edited by justnspace; 05-18-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:23 PM
Racer

Well all the plugs looked ‘old’ but no signs of damage or any
looking different then the other. No melting, scaring, oil, residue etc. just original 98,000 mile plugs. Coils all OE too.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Racer

Just bumping this back up again as the random Missfire to cyl deactivation CEL came on again 2 days ago. This is in a 2015 RDX 2WD Tech, 98,000 miles.

This time in the morning when my wife was on her way to work. She said it happened while she was putting more load on the engine passing some freeway traffic to make an exit off ramp. Just as before the vehicle started to run a flashing CEL for a misfire (when it then deactivated cyl 5 and kept on driving in a 5 cylinder configuration). All she had to do to sort it out was park the car, and and restart the engine with no issue.

Before anyone goes on telling me about fudging the VCM, that simply isn't a solution I'm looking for. I'm trying to find the cause of this instead of putting a big band-aid over what feels like a deeper underlying problem. If VCMs were so wonky as they are in this car for everyone, surely there would have been a nation wide recall on the issue, especially given how this engine is nearly identical to the other port injected VCM 3.5's in other hondas like the Ody or Accord.

I've never experienced it happen to me because I tend not to stress the RDX too much while driving, though the vehicle is at 98,000 miles and Im trying sort out what type of 100K maintenance item might be the culprit. Could a worn/stretched timing belt or lose valves be causing it? Perhaps under load timing/valve lift becomes slightly off on one of the cylinders.

I did find this ServiceNews Article which seams to be exactly the kind of symptom she has been describing to me.
https://static.oemdtc.com/ServiceNews/B16060G.pdf

I've been a Honda head for 13 years and have ripped apart and rebuilt D, B, and K series engines in the past, so if the fix really is just replacing a $13 part inside the cylinder head I'd be willing to do it to fully restore VCM to its proper functionality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJVATTW/?creativeASIN=B00AJVATTW&linkCode=w61&imprToken=GII0Ma3Ga65s61xXVNHENA&slotNum=10&tag=hondaoemdtc-20 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJVATTW/?creativeASIN=B00AJVATTW&linkCode=w61&imprToken=GII0Ma3Ga65s61xXVNHENA&slotNum=10&tag=hondaoemdtc-20

Last edited by Thmanx; 06-08-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Thmanx
so if the fix really is just replacing a $13 part inside the cylinder head I'd be willing to do it to fully restore VCM to its proper functionality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hondaoemdtc-20
Correction, a few $50-100 OEM rocker arm assemblies inside the cylinder head. These are parts easily looked up on the estore and obtained through amazon.

Has anyone had their rocker arms changed out and issues resolved?
Old 06-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
VCM deactivation is hardly a bandaid. It's a solution. These VCM Honda V-6s are being muzzled in droves in other Hondas this engine is used in. Because Honda gets a CAFE
(corporate average fuel economy) credit for the tiny fuel savings over millions of vehicles using the engine, there is no way they can disable it legally. But you can. I would think that,
being such a gearhead, you would want to have a real V-6 all the time. This is currently the most advanced device to do so at this time. (also the most expensive)

https://www.vcmtuner.com/products/vc...e-vcm-eco-mode
Old 06-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Racer

"a real V-6"
For me the fun of being a gear head is going in and making something work as if it were new. I find it an engaging challenge and a joy to tear down and sort of problems like this and learn new things in the process. Considering this vehicle spends 80% of its time on the highway, I'm set on getting this thing running as good if not better than the day it rolled off the lot, and that includes my extra 1mpg on the highway. I baby this car on the highway and having 6 cylinders spitting out CO2s makes no sense to me when i can happily drive down the highway in comfort with 3.

also, Im in California.
" VCMTuner II Currently not available in California."

Last edited by Thmanx; 06-09-2019 at 05:55 PM.