Parking Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Parking Sensors

Why are the front parking sensors beeping when the car is in Reverse and I'm about to back-up? I get the usefulness of the front sensors when I park the car and I'm approaching an object but when I get back in the car an hour later and shift to Reverse and I'm about to back out of a parking space, why is the car warning me about objects in the front of the car? I find it distracting especially as the front and rear sensors produce the same sounds. I shouldn't have to look at the display to know which sensor has been triggered and then ignore the beeping because it's not relevant.

Is it just my car or do they all do this?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
They all do this. I am sure there is some way to defeat it as it doesn't happen when you drive up behind cars at red lights.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Mine (2016) has done this off and on since buying it new. I Occasionally have to shut off the car and restart it to get rid of the alarm, but it usually just goes off on its own after a very short time going forward.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Must have been a glitch. Today, the front sensors where quiet when I backed out with objects close to the front bumper. Just to verify, I shifted to D and they beeped, shifted to R and nothing.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:51 PM
Instructor

I'm probably talking to myself but I figured it out today. When I shift to reverse, the front center sensor goes quiet as it should but the front corner sensors are still active as I guess they are trying to warn me of objects on the sides/front and to steer straight when backing up. I can live with that as it makes some sense. I wished the front and rear sounds were distinct but oh well.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by MHarnois
Why are the front parking sensors beeping when the car is in Reverse and I'm about to back-up? I get the usefulness of the front sensors when I park the car and I'm approaching an object but when I get back in the car an hour later and shift to Reverse and I'm about to back out of a parking space, why is the car warning me about objects in the front of the car? I find it distracting especially as the front and rear sensors produce the same sounds. I shouldn't have to look at the display to know which sensor has been triggered and then ignore the beeping because it's not relevant.

Is it just my car or do they all do this?
If the front of your car is close to another object then the front sensors should definitely beep whether you are in drive or reverse. This is extremely valuable when you are backing into a parallel parking spot and your front bumper is swinging in towards the car in front.

Originally Posted by chickdr
They all do this. I am sure there is some way to defeat it as it doesn't happen when you drive up behind cars at red lights.
As mentioned above it should beep when you drive up close to an object whether in drive or reverse, which means it will beep when driving up to a car at a red light. Why would it beep when parking the car behind another parked car and yet not beep when pulling up behind a car at a red light.

My 2016 certainly beeps when I approach another car stopped in traffic. In fact it beeps when a pedestrian walks past the bumper of my RDX. You may have not noticed it because you need to get within about 14" to get a continuous beep, which very few people do. At that distance you can no longer see the back end of the car in front, and most people don't feel comfortable driving towards things they cant see.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 07-18-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
If the front of your car is close to another object then the front sensors should definitely beep whether you are in drive or reverse. This is extremely valuable when you are backing into a parallel parking spot and your front bumper is swinging in towards the car in front.
As I posted more recently above, I figured out the middle front sensor goes quiet when I shift to reverse and that's good as I do not need to be alerted about objects I'm directly moving away from. Test yours, it may do the same. It must be the front corner sensors that were originally bugging me as they keep alerting me whether I'm driving forward, in neutral or reversing and I understand why they do so I'm OK with that. I just wished the front produced a sound different from the back so I didn't have to look at the display to know where the beep is coming from.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:07 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by MHarnois
As I posted more recently above, I figured out the middle front sensor goes quiet when I shift to reverse and that's good as I do not need to be alerted about objects I'm directly moving away from. Test yours, it may do the same. It must be the front corner sensors that were originally bugging me as they keep alerting me whether I'm driving forward, in neutral or reversing and I understand why they do so I'm OK with that. I just wished the front produced a sound different from the back so I didn't have to look at the display to know where the beep is coming from.
I performed that test and you are correct. While the car is in reverse, only the front corner sensors show active on the display.

When I park in my garage it is a very tight fit, and with the door closed I can detect a slight difference in sound when changing from "drive" to "reverse (the front is a higher pitch), but the sounds are close enough that I can't distinguish them unless switching from "drive" to "reverse" within a second of each other. . So I find myself doing the same as you, and glancing back and forth at the display.