OFFICIAL 2016 Acura ILX Brakes issue!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation OFFICIAL 2016 Acura ILX Brakes issue!!!!

Okay so I made a post here before about my Acura 2016 ILX. There is now a big time issue with this car. I purchased this car back in April and it was good up until about 2000 miles. The front brakes started squeaking when coming under 30 MPH. After being at the dealership the past 4 times in a month, they called me yesterday to tell me Acura knows about this issue and is currently in makes of coming out with new brakes and rotors for the 2016 ILX. When the service manager called me though I told him that with 3500 miles total and that this keeps happening, I don't want to wait around until a fix is in place. There is now time table.

I get a call back from the general manager this morning and they're working on a package deal for me about upgrading to a TLX. Anyone that has a 2016 ILX should really consider taking it back now because this is happening on every car. They gave me an ILX loaner with 1500 miles on it and it also had the same problem.

If you have any questions please let me know. Just looking out for my fellow 2016 ILX owners.

Last edited by 4cruizn; 08-18-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:18 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Honda/Acura still having problems with their brake quality?

Oh, and FYI

OFFICIAL 2016 Acura ILX Brakes issue!!!!-pick9ab.jpg
The following 3 users liked this post by AZuser:
jwong77 (09-04-2015), TacoBello (08-14-2015), weather (08-16-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

OMFG!!!! HAHA i can't believe i spelled "BREAKS" multiple times. Yes they're have "BRAKE" problems but from what I read, it's only an ILX issue at moment for recently new cars. If it was all of them, they would really be in trouble.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:15 PM
16 SSM ILX Prem-Aspec

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have over 3500 miles on my car but aside from the occasional squeak my brakes seem ok, what exactly is defective about them? i dont think you can generalize and set everyone into a panic and tell all ILX owners to take the car back without having any problem with their car, please expand on your thoughts..
Old 08-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Steven Vitek
I have over 3500 miles on my car but aside from the occasional squeak my brakes seem ok, what exactly is defective about them? i dont think you can generalize and set everyone into a panic and tell all ILX owners to take the car back without having any problem with their car, please expand on your thoughts..
Honestly I spoke with them and they reached out to the factory service techs and said this is now a known issue and something is already in production for this. Since this was my 4th time being there, the service manager wanted to make sure im satisfied.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:16 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here

This is the 3rd time I am here regarding the break issue. First was at 1100 miles, I had squeaking when coming to a stop. Brought it in the resurfaced the rotors and the squeaking went away. 1000 miles later started squeaking again. Brought it back to the Acura dealership and the service advisor said that he didn't hear the squeaking and that I should be more aggressive while breaking. I was like wtf this is my 4th Acura and I have never had this issue. They did nothing to my breaks just told me to come back if the problem occurs. Well here I am at 5500 miles on it sitting at the dealership because the squeaking never went away. They said that the will have a tech check it out. I am so over this ILX I should have gotten a TLX.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:03 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
How do you guys keep breaking the brakes on your cars.

Just because it is a "known issue" doesn't mean that it affects all cars or that it is a serious problem.

Let's see if the OP comes back with some sort of documentary evidence of a fix. In this case the fix is most likely very simple - a different king of pad compound.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
LMDesigns (08-18-2015), The Dark Knight (10-02-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ceb
How do you guys keep breaking the brakes on your cars.

Just because it is a "known issue" doesn't mean that it affects all cars or that it is a serious problem.

Let's see if the OP comes back with some sort of documentary evidence of a fix. In this case the fix is most likely very simple - a different king of pad compound.
I'm just going to pretend you didnt just say that. Dude the brakes isnt because of how we drive you moron. Lets go with your theory though. If that was the case, after they changed all 4 sets of pads and rotors, you would think the sound wouldnt happen for a little while. Let me tell you that on my 45 mile drive home, it happened 10 mins into the drive. It's an ACURA ILX problem so you can think what you want but ill bet any money you dont have an ILX 2016. If so, then you're deaf.
The following users liked this post:
LMDesigns (08-18-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 01:05 AM
9th Gear

Ok, so after 2 plus hours of waiting,my service advisor said his tech didn't hear anything. I was like really my brakes were squeaking when I brought the car in. He said well we changed your oil then rotated your tires then checked the brakes. I was like well my car was sitting 2 hours then you check for the squeaking? He made me drive around the block and when I got it to squeak he said he didn't hear anything. He asked me to bring it back when it starts to squeak. I was like wtf you can't hear that. Im so frustrated. I gonna email Acura client relations and make a complaint. Im so over this shit.
LMDesigns (08-18-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by kovy023
I'm just going to pretend you didnt just say that. Dude the brakes isnt because of how we drive you moron. Lets go with your theory though. If that was the case, after they changed all 4 sets of pads and rotors, you would think the sound wouldnt happen for a little while. Let me tell you that on my 45 mile drive home, it happened 10 mins into the drive. It's an ACURA ILX problem so you can think what you want but ill bet any money you dont have an ILX 2016. If so, then you're deaf.
It seems that you have difficulty comprehending the English language.

Please show me where I ever said that it was based on driving style.

Noisy brakes can only have only a few causes - the type of pad compound and the type of rotor material or lack of anti-squeal paste or shims. If any of those is the cause, then replacing the pad with an identical (but new) pad won't solve the issue.

If it is a systemic issue then Acura will come out with a cheap quick fix which will resolve the problem.

Rather than calling people names, you would be best served by understanding how stuff works.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
LMDesigns (08-18-2015), The Dark Knight (10-02-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 12:17 PM
10th Gear

My business bought 2 new Ilx showroom floor cars...

I have 2 Ilx 2016 cars love them, but the brakes are killing me. Both started squeaking around 1200 miles. I took one back to the dealership and they said... that's what new cars do... per it states in the car manual. Give it time and they will stop..... well at 2300 miles they are still sqeaking.... I am so embarrassed to drive my car anywhere for my businesses... I'm taking one back this Friday and if they don't fix it... it stays there until they do while I have the loaner! I am furious! Also I spoke to Acura.. it's not a known issue yet.... everyone needs to call in to complain on this issue... I know we won't be the only ones with this issue!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Cruisin'

Mine has 6400 miles and the breaks are still squealing when I brake at a low speed. I've taken the car in in twice to different dealers and they say they can't duplicate the issue. I hate it!!
Old 08-19-2015, 12:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by StevieB1503
Mine has 6400 miles and the breaks are still squealing when I brake at a low speed. I've taken the car in in twice to different dealers and they say they can't duplicate the issue. I hate it!!
My rear brakes starting squeaking pretty early. I took the rear wheels off and could see through the window in the caliper that the brake pad was very worn down.

Replaced them. Been fine since. It has been over half a year since and my front brakes pads have yet to be replaced.

Those rear pads were crap.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Sounds a little like the issue with the 2009 first second gen TSX. I believe the installed some sort of "clip" on the rotor and eliminated the issue completely in the 2010 and up versions. (excuse my non tech description).
The Dark Knight (10-02-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 01:10 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kovy023
Okay so I made a post here before about my Acura 2016 ILX. There is now a big time issue with this car. I purchased this car back in April and it was good up until about 2000 miles. The front brakes started squeaking when coming under 30 MPH. After being at the dealership the past 4 times in a month, they called me yesterday to tell me Acura knows about this issue and is currently in makes of coming out with new brakes and rotors for the 2016 ILX. When the service manager called me though I told him that with 3500 miles total and that this keeps happening, I don't want to wait around until a fix is in place. There is now time table.

I get a call back from the general manager this morning and they're working on a package deal for me about upgrading to a TLX. Anyone that has a 2016 ILX should really consider taking it back now because this is happening on every car. They gave me an ILX loaner with 1500 miles on it and it also had the same problem.

If you have any questions please let me know. Just looking out for my fellow 2016 ILX owners.
I have met the problem either. I got my ILX March. The problem happens before 5k miles. I took it back and they change the braking pad. It went soundless for about 3k miles and now the squeaking is back again. I am not happy with the problem for a new car. It seems definitely not a driving habit issue.

What could we do other than complain?
Old 08-19-2015, 01:31 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
The first time I took the car in (at 3500 Mi) I could almost blame myself.

As a seasoned spirited canyon driver, I had to see what the ILX with its 8-Speed DCT could do under aggressive driving. (have a 00 Civic Sedan with an ITR swap in it, couldn't help but compare the two).

At the time of its 1st service, the tech claimed my rotors were 'glassed'. Something any auto-X or Honda Challenge driver would be familiar with. I've glassed my Civic rotors before in the past and was rather surprised these new brakes could be beaten in so quickly.

Repair was free at the time, so I didn't complain much.

The next 7000 miles (now at 10,500), have been nothing but standard freeway and city driving with two extended trips up the coast to Santa Barbra and San Louis Obispo (Starting in the OC area).

The issue has come back, and I'm sure its not due to any excessively spirited driving. The car has enjoyed nothing but standard use and consistent 32-35MPG per tank.

Has to be a component issue, not a driver issue.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:45 AM
10th Gear

I have filed a complaint with Acura. The more issues coming in.. they will do more. Keep calling until we get results!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:57 AM
10th Gear

I am going to the dealer again tomorrow so they can look at our cars. I do not his my brakes hard, nor constant braking. If I do not get this resolved, I will be filing a complaint with the BBB for this issue. I spent enough money for this car, which I love love love it! I just want this issue resolved. And not be embarrassed driving my car when I have to stop at a light. Call Acura everyone.. File a complaint for this issue...
Old 08-21-2015, 08:33 AM
10th Gear

Update, I received a call yesterday that the Director of the Service Department will be there when I take my car in today, and they want to drive it with me so they can hear for them selves what the brakes are doing. See what happens when you go to social media to get something solved. They listen!
Old 08-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car started making squeaking noise around 2000 miles. I took it to the dealership today and they said it was the front right rotor that was glazed. Also, they asked me if I press brake pedal with my left foot because that can be a reason that caused rotor glaze. I got my car back this afternoon and it is working flawlessly again. Hopefully no more noise..
Old 08-21-2015, 06:37 PM
10th Gear

There is a builtin out today as of 2 hours ago for the 2016 ILX roters between 2000mi and 4000mi. My cars are in getting the roters replaced!!! I am so freaking happy! Acura listened to the complaints!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:58 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Acura Service News Article
B15080C
Front Brakes Squeal at Low Mileage
Affected Vehicles: 2016 ILX
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/B15080C.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B15080C.PDF
Old 08-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LMDesigns
There is a builtin out today as of 2 hours ago for the 2016 ILX roters between 2000mi and 4000mi. My cars are in getting the roters replaced!!! I am so freaking happy! Acura listened to the complaints!
Nice!! How should I talk to my dealership about this? If I just mention the service bulletin number would dealership change front rotors for free?
Old 08-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EE4Life
Acura Service News Article
B15080C
Front Brakes Squeal at Low Mileage
Affected Vehicles: 2016 ILX
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/B15080C.PDF
LinkDeny
It looks like this is a service news. Do you know the difference between service news and service bulletin? And, thank you so much for posting this!
Old 08-22-2015, 08:40 AM
Cruisin'

I have 6500 miles on the odometer but mine started squeaking around 3000 miles or at least that's when I first noticed since I drive with my windows up bumpin my system 80% of the time. I wonder if they would replace mine as well.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:22 PM
10th Gear

I am so happy, Mine are replaced and my ILX rotors/brakes are so much better. If you are having this issue take it in. Its a issue with the rotors cracking and causing the squeaking noise. They had to redo the rotor casing. Its a safety hazard to me....
Old 08-30-2015, 12:30 PM
Cruisin'

My new ILX A-spec started squeaking about 100 miles into ownership (bought new with 8 miles on the odometer). I thought that the noise might subside with time, but only became worse.

I took the car in around 650 miles, and the service representative stated that the brake pads were resurfaced due to "glazing". About 15 miles after leaving the dealer, the squeak returned, then became worse again.

I will be calling them tomorrow to discuss options... will drop back by to let everyone know the disposition.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have just over 1,500mi. on my car now and the brakes have just started to faintly squeak from time to time. I'm going to let it go for now though since I know my dealership's service department is a pain in the ass and and they're really slow when it comes to working on the cars. Plus I'm sure I won't be able to duplicate the issue when I bring it to them so they'll give me a hard time.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
MY 2016 ILX SQUEAKING STORY:

I have had squeaking problems since i purchased my car in Feb. 2015. The squeaking started at around 500-1000 miles. First attempt, Brought it in at 1000 miles and as the service department mentioned to most of you all above, brake pads squeaking due to "glazing.” They simply did some touch ups to the brake pads. Fixed it for about 1000 miles and squeaking started to come back. Second attempt, brought it to dealership at around 5000 miles, they did the same thing and said “It will not squeak again.” Started squeaking 1000 miles proceeding the service. Third attempt, brought it in at around 7500 miles; spoke strictly to the service manager, and they finally ordered some new brake pads and REPLACED the front brake pads. He mentioned that he had contacted Acura and they said to give that a shot. 2000 miles after the third attempt of service, squeaking comes back. This is crazy!

Yesterday I called and the service manager said he has finally found a solution; per Acura. The front rotors are causing the squeaking. He has ordered a brand new set of front rotors and will replace them this coming Friday.

3 visits to the Acura dealership and no solution. THE BRAKE PADS ARE NOT THE ISSUE, obviously after their 3 tries. This coming Friday will be my 4th visit to the Acura dealership. Let’s hope the brand new rotors will solve all of our squeaking problems.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Let us know what happens. I'm really curious. I currently have 7500 miles on the car and thankfully no squeaking at all. I bought it early April 2015. I'm curious whether this has anything to do with time of assembly and the factory it was assembled in, since not all ILX models. And it looks like Acura hasn't figured out the issue up until now, unless that problem they had with the manufacturing has only happened on a few batches, and you guys might be the unlucky ones.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by peti1212
Let us know what happens. I'm really curious. I currently have 7500 miles on the car and thankfully no squeaking at all. I bought it early April 2015. I'm curious whether this has anything to do with time of assembly and the factory it was assembled in, since not all ILX models. And it looks like Acura hasn't figured out the issue up until now, unless that problem they had with the manufacturing has only happened on a few batches, and you guys might be the unlucky ones.
I will keep everyone updated.

The service manager did mentioned that they received bad batches if purchased before May 2015. I believe i am an unlucky one. At least he has been really considerate of the fact that this has been a great hassle to constantly return for the same issue. The discounts on OEM accessories are nice, but it doesn't replace the time wasted. Glad the service manager is on top of it though.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Having rear brake issues for the THIRD (2 previous dealer visits) time in 3000km on my 2014. This is starting to really piss me off! Something is clunking badly from the rear brakes when applied. Most likely parking brake related.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Advanced

My brakes squeal a tiny bit when light braking at slow speeds. Wonder if this is the same thing everyone else is experiencing.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
Taking my '16 ILX in for its front brake replacement done. Have an appointment for this Friday set up (get to try out a loaner car woo-woo, TLX maybe? lol)
Old 08-31-2015, 06:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Thmanx
Taking my '16 ILX in for its front brake replacement done. Have an appointment for this Friday set up (get to try out a loaner car woo-woo, TLX maybe? lol)
Got my appointment this Friday as well, dropping it off early Friday morning at 7 am. Last time i got the 2015 MDX as a loaner and i loved it!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:22 PM
Cruisin'

I have my appointment set for Tuesday (next week), and have already planted the "replace all of the rotors" seed. They are a good dealership, here's to hoping they step up.

Last edited by Birdflunuggetz; 08-31-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:45 AM
16 SSM ILX Prem-Aspec

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Scratches

Have my 5,000 mile oil change coming up next week, also got the squeal and mentioned it to the advisor i spoke to, he didn't know about the advisory but looked it up and says he will inspect the brakes when i take it in...

Last edited by Steven Vitek; 09-02-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

Add another one to the list. I had squeaking issues at around 3k (7k currently) and i took it once and they said they didnt know what was causing the issue so they added more brake lube?? After a bit the squeak came back and i brought it again and replaced my front rotors and brake pads. And then now its just my front left that squeaks. I called acura and they said that they had an issue with the rotors and i would need to replace them AGAIN as soon as the parts come in which he said would be mid October to the beginning of November
Old 09-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Out of nowhere, I just started having the break issue as well. I noticed it during parking at my job while turning into parking and breaking. It squeaked very loudly. Had also noticed it now during light breaking on the road when I'm coming to a stop. My ODO is around 7700 miles right now, and I'm due for an oil change anyways in the next thousand miles. I made an appointment for next Thursday and thankfully the service department was aware of the issue and will replace the breaks. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Last edited by peti1212; 09-04-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:36 PM
9th Gear

https://youtu.be/HG1UDjOGuLo

Here is the loaner car they gave today since mine is in to finally have the rotors and pads changed after 5 visits to my dealership and Acura Client Relation getting involved and for all the inconvenience this has caused me Acura Client relations or the dealership didn't want to offer me a discount on any accessory for my car. Great job Acura.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL 2016 Acura ILX Brakes issue!!!!