ILX suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
From AcuraNews.com

I'm still a little skeptical of the dampeners if only because they're on all 4 corners and I'd imagine we'd hear it randomly from different positions if they were the root cause. However anything is possible.

I'm more interested in some comments earlier that it seems louder in colder climates. I'm in Hawaii and haven't heard this noise nor have any customers commented on it (to my knowledge).

I noticed that the car is using teflon roll bar bushings. Way back in my autox days, these were known to be very noisey vs. the OEM rubber bushings in the Integra. I wonder if these are not faring well in cold weather? Can anyone provide feedback on the effects of this temperature theory?
I had similar thoughts - anyone with this issue should let us know if it is in fact occurring during warm/hot weather.

The week I took delivery of my ILX, 12/26/2012, it was single digit temps every day. It has since gotten back to normal (40's to 50 degrees) and the noise might actually be less frequent, though it still occurs a few times every trip.

I cannot really say for sure if there's a difference without much warmer temperatures.

It appears a few of the RDX drivers initially reported this as a cold-weather issue as well.

Anyone else, let us know in what type of climate you're experiencing this.

thx!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by ofplon
I had similar thoughts - anyone with this issue should let us know if it is in fact occurring during warm/hot weather.
It appears a few of the RDX drivers initially reported this as a cold-weather issue as well.

Anyone else, let us know in what type of climate you're experiencing this.

thx!
The thing with the dampeners is that they should (I would imagine due to friction) reach operating temperature quickly once you're driving around. If so, I'm thinking that ambient temperature might matter less if at all. So without hearing it, I'd look to things like the trunk lid spring, bushings, the perch where the coil spring sits etc.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 PM
JvB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From AcuraNews.com

I'm still a little skeptical of the dampeners if only because they're on all 4 corners and I'd imagine we'd hear it randomly from different positions if they were the root cause. However anything is possible.

I'm more interested in some comments earlier that it seems louder in colder climates. I'm in Hawaii and haven't heard this noise nor have any customers commented on it (to my knowledge).

I noticed that the car is using teflon roll bar bushings. Way back in my autox days, these were known to be very noisey vs. the OEM rubber bushings in the Integra. I wonder if these are not faring well in cold weather? Can anyone provide feedback on the effects of this temperature theory?
I too am extremely skeptical it's the dampeners. The technology is only new to Acura and not to industry as a whole. The technology has been used for a while in luxury cars but is now making it down to lower priced cars as most of the real luxury brands are moving towards active suspension. FWIW, they are manufactured by ZF Sachs.

As for temperature effects, it is always cold in canada . . .
But seriously, I park in a heated garage and hear it shortly after leaving the garage before the car has had time to cool down.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM
JvB
Intermediate

Thumbs up

In case anyone was really interested in damper tech, this brochure gives a pretty good overview (page 10 and 11 are what i believe we have): http://www.zf.com/media/media/en/pro...l_20110823.pdf
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JvB
In case anyone was really interested in damper tech, this brochure gives a pretty good overview (page 10 and 11 are what i believe we have): http://www.zf.com/media/media/en/pro...l_20110823.pdf
I'm not sure about that. The dual mode dampeners (from what I recall) use two concetric springs inside the tube. These have unique spring rates that vary the resistance to bumps in the road.

In the older TSX there was an extra spring loaded valve in the shock that would 'blow off' the change the flow of fluid through the shock so this application was different than the new ILX shocks. I'll try to find this info later.
The following users liked this post:
JvB (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have noticed the same thing on my. I have only had the car since Nov, but just within the past week have I noticed the clunking as I go over bumps. Minor cracks on the road have just resulting in the normal road noise. But as soon as I hit a manhole cover, or a speed bump, I hear that thunk. Soon I will have the time to hit the dealer to have them check it out, and see if I can atleast get confirmation that I not crazy.

Has anyone talked to engineers at Acura corporate?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by psunuce
I have noticed the same thing on my. I have only had the car since Nov, but just within the past week have I noticed the clunking as I go over bumps. Minor cracks on the road have just resulting in the normal road noise. But as soon as I hit a manhole cover, or a speed bump, I hear that thunk. Soon I will have the time to hit the dealer to have them check it out, and see if I can atleast get confirmation that I not crazy.

Has anyone talked to engineers at Acura corporate?
I have brought it up to Acura customer relations (corporate). I recommend you do the same, in-order for them to get to the bottom of this asap. The more complaints they receive the quicker we will have a fix.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 PM
JvB
Intermediate

I'm not sure about that. The dual mode dampeners (from what I recall) use two concetric springs inside the tube. These have unique spring rates that vary the resistance to bumps in the road.

In the older TSX there was an extra spring loaded valve in the shock that would 'blow off' the change the flow of fluid through the shock so this application was different than the new ILX shocks. I'll try to find this info later.
I honestly have no clue about the specific internal design of these dampers, the principles in the document still apply though. Either way, this one is getting a little off topic . . . car still makes noise from the rear end!

Any chance that without weight in the trunk the suspension is getting completely unloaded and the noise we hear is everything coming back together (ie bushing noise)? The noise is a very muffled "fwap" so I'm not sure what could be making that sort of noise back there.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JvB
I honestly have no clue about the specific internal design of these dampers, the principles in the document still apply though. Either way, this one is getting a little off topic . . . car still makes noise from the rear end!

Any chance that without weight in the trunk the suspension is getting completely unloaded and the noise we hear is everything coming back together (ie bushing noise)? The noise is a very muffled "fwap" so I'm not sure what could be making that sort of noise back there.
I snapped a picture from our training for the RDX, not sure if this helps anybody....LOL

As for you question, I've suggested you could be hearing the coil spring shift in the spring perch. But in my experience with the MDX and RSX, it was VERY loud and not limited to temperature.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
I just added an update in the RDX section. Long story short no more noise.
I'm not sure how relevant it is to the ILX problem. Based on my one day of driving around in an ILX and hearing the exact same sounds, I think it is.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0#post14253290
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hand-filer
I just added an update in the RDX section. Long story short no more noise.
I'm not sure how relevant it is to the ILX problem. Based on my one day of driving around in an ILX and hearing the exact same sounds, I think it is.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0#post14253290

Interesting. I've been suspicious of the struts since day one on the ILX. This only solidifies my thinking. This is ridiculous they put these out. Driving this car sounds and feels like the struts are 10 years old. Not acceptable.

Thanks for providing this group with your findings.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
Interesting. I've been suspicious of the struts since day one on the ILX. This only solidifies my thinking. This is ridiculous they put these out. Driving this car sounds and feels like the struts are 10 years old. Not acceptable.

Thanks for providing this group with your findings.
You're welcome, glad to be of help. MY RDX drove like it had 2x4's for shocks. Now it is real nice and smooth and quiet. Almost as quiet as my Mustang .
Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Racer

You're welcome, glad to be of help. MY RDX drove like it had 2x4's for shocks. Now it is real nice and smooth and quiet. Almost as quiet as my Mustang .
Unbelievable. I feel my ILX drives just like that, on 2x4's. Loose and rattling. What in the world were they thinking.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
You know the Toshiba commercial where the guy is a prototype tester and he says Toshiba doesn't do that on it's customers?

Acura is not Toshiba... obviously.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 PM
JvB
Intermediate

Well, suspension design and tuning is a fairly complicated process. From what I understand, damper rates are normally sized for a loaded condition of the car. As a result, if you have a large difference between loaded weight and unloaded weight the dampers tend to feel very stiff while unloaded.

I hardly consider replacing dampers with softer aftermarket units a solution to the problem. At the end of the day, a softer damper probably just avoids the scenario that causes the noise we are hearing but doesn't actually fix the root cause of the problem. You could accomplish the same thing by loading the trunk full of sandbags and save a few bucks . . .
Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JvB
Well, suspension design and tuning is a fairly complicated process. From what I understand, damper rates are normally sized for a loaded condition of the car. As a result, if you have a large difference between loaded weight and unloaded weight the dampers tend to feel very stiff while unloaded.

I hardly consider replacing dampers with softer aftermarket units a solution to the problem. At the end of the day, a softer damper probably just avoids the scenario that causes the noise we are hearing but doesn't actually fix the root cause of the problem. You could accomplish the same thing by loading the trunk full of sandbags and save a few bucks . . .
Then fill your trunk with sand bags and let us all know how that works out for you.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
I wonder if Acura actually reads these forums...I'm sure the complaints / ranting aren't helping their sales.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JvB
What do you mean by that? If the noise goes away with an aftermarket set-up then the issue is resolved. Is it the desired result to throw away the money that was factored into your purchase? No, but it does indeed give a solution and a root of the cause.

Say for me: The sound is an annoyance, I already planned to upgrade to an aftermarket setup.. Noise dissappears, I am happy.

The desired solution is that Acura admits to the issue and resolves it via TSB/Recall
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
I wonder if Acura actually reads these forums...I'm sure the complaints / ranting aren't helping their sales.
The likely answer is that they do know people are complaining. Then the result is they calculate the cost of fixing the ILXs that are already released VS fixing it in the 2014 models (or '13 that may have not yet been manufactured) and just moving on.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Racer

How's the ride? Are you fully convinced now after some time that it is in fact the struts?

Have you made Acura aware of this? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

How's the ride? Are you fully convinced now after some time that it is in fact the struts?

Have you made Acura aware of this? Thanks.
Two days into it and I'm real pleased with the results. Zero noise now on the sharp bumps. I've had a chance to test the shocks on a variety of roads including some with some good dips and crowns and the ride is well controlled.
The new shocks are just slightly under dampened to call the ride perfect but I can live with it now. The original shocks would probably work well on a 3/4 ton Dodge.
I didn't buy this vehicle for it's handling prowess. I bought for it's utility. I already have a car that handles well.
In my opinion the RDX chassis engineers need to spend more seat time in these cars and rely less on the simulators.
I have written a letter to Acura Canada and will forward a copy to Acura USA on Monday.
Hopefully they get a lot of complaints from ILX/RDX owners and do a recall campaign.
I'm heading out into the garage now to enjoy a few
beers, admire my freshly washed and detailed RDX and wait out the blizzard that's raging out there.

Last edited by hand-filer; 01-11-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Two days into it and I'm real pleased with the results. Zero noise now on the sharp bumps. I've had a chance to test the shocks on a variety of roads including some with some good dips and crowns and the ride is well controlled.
The new shocks are just slightly under dampened to call the ride perfect but I can live with it now. The original shocks would probably work well on a 3/4 ton Dodge.
I didn't buy this vehicle for it's handling prowess. I bought for it's utility. I already have a car that handles well.
In my opinion the RDX chassis engineers need to spend more seat time in these cars and rely less on the simulators.
I have written a letter to Acura Canada and will forward a copy to Acura USA on Monday.
Hopefully they get a lot of complaints from ILX/RDX owners and do a recall campaign.
I'm heading out into the garage now to enjoy a few
beers, admire my freshly washed and detailed RDX and wait out the blizzard that's raging out there.
Hand-Filer, we really appreciate your input on this issue.. like you don't understand! Now we have a footing to argue with Acura.. Will be writing a letter this weekend.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Trentimus
Hand-Filer, we really appreciate your input on this issue.. like you don't understand! Now we have a footing to argue with Acura.. Will be writing a letter this weekend.
Along with your letter, I would definitely consider calling customer relations (800-382-2238). A letter might just find some corner, if you know what I mean.
I've called myself in the past, thinking it was the front engine-mount & the rear trunk floor lid where the noise was coming from.
I am just about convinced now that it is the newly designed multi-damper struts that are making the noise and are defective.
I've contacted customer relations yesterday and should be receiving a call by one of their managers from their California headquarters sometime on Monday.
I've dealt with the person in the past, pertaining to these noises. Has been willing to help.

PS: Hopefully the people that are experiencing the noise with the ILX mention that the RDX's are having the same problem given that it is the same new strut design and vise versa.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks.

Last edited by Spirited Driver; 01-12-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

I thought it was the trunk floor lid for the first 2 weeks of ownership too because that's pretty much what it sounded like.
On the RDX you can remove this panel which I did and the noise remained.
I was finally able to isolate that it was a left and right noise.
There is a stretch of road here where there are man holes located in the left and right wheel tracks and they are staggered about 60 feet apart. Made for an interesting staccato when you drove over them with the factory shocks.That was my benchmark. Now all I hear are the tires.
Thanks for the support and interest. Now if I can only light a fire under the RDX owners butts to become more vocal we should have some action from Acura fairly soon.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Racer

I thought it was the trunk floor lid for the first 2 weeks of ownership too because that's pretty much what it sounded like.
On the RDX you can remove this panel which I did and the noise remained.
I was finally able to isolate that it was a left and right noise.
There is a stretch of road here where there are man holes located in the left and right wheel tracks and they are staggered about 60 feet apart. Made for an interesting staccato when you drove over them with the factory shocks.That was my benchmark. Now all I hear are the tires.
Thanks for the support and interest. Now if I can only light a fire under the RDX owners butts to become more vocal we should have some action from Acura fairly soon.

Same here, there is a stretch of man holes in an area near me where it's the perfect course where the noise can be repeatedly duplicated. Unfortunately for me, its not near the dealer.

I noticed you keep mentioning "shocks" and not "struts", even though it is a similar component more or less.

I believe you are located in a cold climate, correct?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Same here, there is a stretch of man holes in an area near me where it's the perfect course where the noise can be repeatedly duplicated. Unfortunately for me, its not near the dealer.

I noticed you keep mentioning "shocks" and not "struts", even though it is a similar component more or less.

I believe you are located in a cold climate, correct?
Yes the RDX has shocks in the rear and struts up front.
I live 1 hour north of the North Dakota border.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Just suppose...

After not worrying about this for a few days, today I was out to spray the ILX off, and on the way I hit several manhole covers and heard the noise several times in succession, so it was fresh in my head. When I then grabbed towels out of the trunk & slammed the trunk lid - the sound, the resonance, is the exactly the same.

I am proposing that it is not the shocks making the sound, but that there's simply some yet-to-be-identified part loose (trunk latch, rear speaker panel, whatever) and that the previous poster who replaced his struts with softer ones got rid of the noise simply by softening the ride, thus preventing the sound from occurring. I realize that strut replacement fixed his problem, so how can I deny it was the struts...but I think you know what I'm getting at here - not faulty struts, but a chronic bit of quality assurance somewhere else, exposed by the stock suspension.

I could be wrong but at this point, at least on my vehicle, the noise seems too present in the cabin and coming from 'higher up'...Time will tell.

Last edited by ofplon; 01-18-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too am hearing a noise from trunk area
I padded spare cover and anything making noise
when i tapped on it , im a alighnment tech
and i deal with this everyday at work but this noise is getting
best of me, theres one bump by my house does it every time
My ilx has 200 miles on it waiting to get chance to have my boss
listen to it , if i bring to dealer there not going to do anything just say
everything looks good im going to find it myself does sound like
Strut, bushing , maybe even exhaust slapping against floor pannel
in the back
O yea padding spare tire cover,tightning spare,and padding
the plastic piece where the trunk latch is makes a big difference
Old 01-20-2013, 06:42 PM
2nd Gear

Acura and honda always had problems with road noise
Line your trunk with dynamat it makes a huge difference put a double layer
around wheel well inside trunk helps ALOT!
if you go even further u can do the whole car under the carpet
Im doing my trunk very soon its great stuff
Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tangiers
Acura and honda always had problems with road noise
Line your trunk with dynamat it makes a huge difference put a double layer
around wheel well inside trunk helps ALOT!
if you go even further u can do the whole car under the carpet
Im doing my trunk very soon its great stuff
You shouldn't have to do that with a $30,000 car with 200 miles on it.

I and some of us on here are almost certain that it is the newly designed struts/shocks that are making the noise. I'm also linking my front passesnger noise, which i thought was the "engine mount" making the noise to now being the struts/shocks as well.

I am so fed up with this myself. It's embarrassing, annoying, frustrating, disappointing.....

Do you live in a cold climate?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Noise

As posted earlier, I began the "FatMat" noise abatement program on mine the second day I had it. For me it is easier to do that spending less than 150 bucks for results that have been really effective in making things much quieter, I'll do the front floors when the weather is better. In the end, I agree that Honda/Acura has a ways to go with insulation of their cars. I see what I did as a way to "make it better" and that relieves me of the frustration of listening to the high road noise, then having to do the dealer dance to convince them of the oblivious.

So far the shocks are not making the noises spoken of here. At any rate, it will take some time to get on record and I will if they start clunking.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 2.4 and do not hear any of the noises mentioned. I keep tires at 32psi.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

Just got back from the dealership. Went on a test ride with the service & parts director. My luck, I was not able to duplicate the noise, AGAIN.

Here is my take:

I am becoming more and more convinced that this s a suspension related issue. Whether it's the newly designed struts for 2013 ILX & RDX or some other component belonging to the suspension that the noise is coming from.

I went into he dealer without anything in the trunk. No spare, lid or tools. Driving ALONE it is very easy to duplicate the LOUD thump coming from the rear, while going over sharp edged uneven surfaces. Unfortunately, I am unable to duplicate that noise as easily with more weight in the car. Are you noticing the same?

With the spare, lid and tools in the car the thump is still there but not as loud or easily duplicated as it is without those three items in the trunk.

This has me believing this is a weight/suspension related issue, the new multi-stage struts/dampers that are in this car as being the culprit. I've mentioned this in the "suspension noise" thread. Some of us are experiencing this, some are not. Is it just a bad batch?

I have another thread I opened regarding the front passenger engine mount. Is it really the engine mount or is it ANOTHER bad strut in the front as well?

Left the Acura dealership hopeless. Director was willing to help but unfortunately couldn't duplicate the noise while he went along for a test drive. Again, added weight, wasn't able to duplicate the noise as easily as if I was alone.

In result, I can in fact rule out that the noise is NOT coming from the trunk/floor lid, as the title of this thread indicates.

Lastly, given that I am experiencing front passenger-end nocking along with the rear thumping while going over rough roads, has me believing this is a suspension issue and not something else as some others have suggested.

Please continue to document your experiences and findings. Not just on here but with the dealership as well so that we can get to the bottom of this rather sooner than later. Thank You.
I can concur with the loud thunking in the back when driving over and bump or into a low point on the road. I took it to the dealer with everything out of the trunk except the spare. The technician drove around with me and concurred about the thunk. When it went into the garage they found a small tool kit the size of a box of drill bits that my husband had left there and assured me that was the culprit (the tool kit, not my husband). I was doubtful, since this little tool kit that fit in my handbag could not cause the loud ka-thunk I had been experiencing pretty much since I got the car in July 2012. Indeed, the ka-thunking continues. I plan to find a nearby road as one contributor suggested, that definitely reproduces the noise, and ask the technician to ride with me there. My ILX is the 2.0 automatic, if that makes a difference. It sounds like there is a bag of golf clubs in the trunk that not tied down.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Racer

Acura is pissing me off. Not owning up to the fact that there is something seriously wrong with the suspension on this car.

This thing sounds like your driving on 2x4's (as a poster mentioned).

Don't know what to do anymore.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
Acura is pissing me off. Not owning up to the fact that there is something seriously wrong with the suspension on this car.

This thing sounds like your driving on 2x4's (as a poster mentioned).

Don't know what to do anymore.
I hear it on going over some manhole covers if they were set lower in the road than they should be. I too find it a bit of an annoyance but don't have it happen on normal roads or even what I consider bad roads. Are your roads really bad there or is your car that bad or is there some exagerration because of your annoyance?

I have yet to report the situation but I will do when I go in for my first service and in the meantime will have to scout roads near the dealer that might present the noise when we go over them.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by terdonal
I hear it on going over some manhole covers if they were set lower in the road than they should be. I too find it a bit of an annoyance but don't have it happen on normal roads or even what I consider bad roads. Are your roads really bad there or is your car that bad or is there some exagerration because of your annoyance?

I have yet to report the situation but I will do when I go in for my first service and in the meantime will have to scout roads near the dealer that might present the noise when we go over them.
Poor roads and possibly VERY poor struts/shocks/....

It's bad enough that my annoyance with this "suspension" noise has progressively increased since August. Top that with no movement or resolution from Acura. This is NOT an isolated issue as you can see. TONS of people are experiencing the same.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
Smile

Poor roads and possibly VERY poor struts/shocks/....

It's bad enough that my annoyance with this "suspension" noise has progressively increased since August. Top that with no movement or resolution from Acura. This is NOT an isolated issue as you can see. TONS of people are experiencing the same.
I see that exagerration leaking in again, TONS of people? I don't think at this point tons is a true comment on how many have brought up this problem. There aren't even that many who post on this the ILX forums or other ILX forums, nor have I seen it mentioned by any reviewer to this point.

Yes it is real but when people tend to get flamboyant with their comments it gets hard to understand how bad any given issue is and I am not just referring to you or the ILX or RDX or TL or Verano or Veloster or BMW or the list goes on.

Any issue is frustrating but it gets hard to sort the wheat from the chaff when we get carried away describing an issue. I think it is the 2 stage shock that is not responding properly to short abrupt changes in the road surface It maybe a design errror or a manufacturing problem. I have never noticed it when I have a passenger in the back seat so maybe the car is just too light in the back end for this shock design or ?????

I know the RDX is suffering from a similar thing and it too has this 2 stage shock as well. Hopefully Acura will get it resolved sooner than later.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by terdonal
I know the RDX is suffering from a similar thing and it too has this 2 stage shock as well. Hopefully Acura will get it resolved sooner than later.
The new RLX uses these as well.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Racer

The new RLX uses these as well.
Colin - As previously mentioned in this post, it appears that the noise is considerably more pronounced with lower temperatures, therefore owners like yourself who live in warmer climates may not notice it as much.

Have you seen or heard anything internally as of recent?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Colin - As previously mentioned in this post, it appears that the noise is considerably more pronounced with lower temperatures, therefore owners like yourself who live in warmer climates may not notice it as much.

Have you seen or heard anything internally as of recent?
Nothing so far. The temperature qualification really makes me call into question the shock (as I've said before). IMO, the friction in the shock should heat it up to operating temperature pretty quickly. (Again IMO) Wouldn't this mean that even in colder climates the internal temperatures in the shock should 'equalize' across different climate zones? I'm no engineer but I still think it's sway bar bushings, spring perch etc.

Quick Reply: ILX suspension noise