Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Top 10 Diet Myths Debunked.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil Dog 21
No, I just workout fasted as long as I begin my workout no later than 7:00AM. Anytime after 7:00AM and I'll try to not eat 3 hours prior to my workout with my last meal being primarily carbs. My carb sources are usually sweet potatoes, cooked vegetables, and whatever vegetables I decide to put into my juicer that week. I've also become a big fan of P28 Bread products and will make myself a treat PB&J sandwich that has 56 grams of protein once or twice a week. Greek Yogurt and milk also contain a high amount of carbs although the source is nowhere near as good as vegetables.

I follow a site/"diet" called Eat To Perform - http://eattoperform.com/

Not trying to spam or sell anything, and I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but I've had the dietician at my wife's office review the info and my metrics and she highly approves. Plus my results have been phenomenal.
So you work out before 7am. What time do you eat your last meal before bed?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
So you work out before 7am. What time do you eat your last meal before bed?
I workout at 5:15 most mornings and eat dinner around 7, and then consume a ton of carbs as close to bed as possible which is usually 9:00 since I get up at 4:30.

I also have to point out that my workouts are ridiculously intense and always involve a considerable amount of time doing both strength work and HIIT for cardio which is why carb loading every night works so well for me. If your activity level is lower then a smaller amount of carbs will suffice.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I want abs so badly. But I'm not the type of person to consistently keep to a diet, and it fucking sucks.

For about 2-3 months, I was very consistent, keeping to 1-3 cheat meals a week. I went from a very average-body, 162 lbs to a somewhat defined 150.

But I've been slipping, and now my abs only show if I suck in my stomach just a bit, and/or stand in the right lighting. There were a few weeks when they were just like... BAM! Right there when I woke up and looked in the mirror.

I know what generally works for me, and I want to have a flexible diet. But how the hell do you stick to prepping meals every god forsaken week?
Old 04-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Costco
I want abs so badly. But I'm not the type of person to consistently keep to a diet, and it fucking sucks.

For about 2-3 months, I was very consistent, keeping to 1-3 cheat meals a week. I went from a very average-body, 162 lbs to a somewhat defined 150.

But I've been slipping, and now my abs only show if I suck in my stomach just a bit, and/or stand in the right lighting. There were a few weeks when they were just like... BAM! Right there when I woke up and looked in the mirror.

I know what generally works for me, and I want to have a flexible diet. But how the hell do you stick to prepping meals every god forsaken week?
If you can't keep your diet there then you have to really increase the activity level. On the weeks where I splurge and eat bad I put in a ton of extra work in the gym. As far as meal prep, I just cook enough to have leftovers for a couple days and create a grocery list each week of the things I want to make sure I have. By making sure I have something to snack on I avoid eating bad crap when I'm in a bind and trying to rush around to run errands or do whatever. It also helps that my wife is a damn rabbit so there's always some sort of vegetable or lean meat in the fridge to snack on. Now that summer is here I'll grill a bunch of steaks up and have extra to eat with my eggs in the morning and with a massive salad at night.

Nothing wrong with cheat meals or even being super flexible with your diet, just avoid the big pitfalls. The most common is combining bad habits such as eating bad and drinking alcohol at the same meal. I've found that you'll keep that defined look so much easier if you do one or the other but both will set you back so much further.
The following 2 users liked this post by Devil Dog 21:
Acura_Dude (04-29-2014), Costco (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 05:12 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil Dog 21
It also helps that my wife is a damn rabbit so there's always some sort of vegetable or lean meat in the fridge to snack on.
I have no clue why that cracked me up.

Great advice though.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
I've seen on people that i know outside of ab workouts and diets as mentioned that complex lifts like deadlifts, snatches, cleans, squats, even weighted pullups really hit the abs as well.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
I have no clue why that cracked me up.

Great advice though.
Ha! I have to constantly remind her to eat protein and not freaking carrots.

Originally Posted by Doom878
I've seen on people that i know outside of ab workouts and diets as mentioned that complex lifts like deadlifts, snatches, cleans, squats, even weighted pullups really hit the abs as well.
+100

IMO there's nothing better for developing core strength than olympic lifts, squats, and deadlifts. As your form improves on each of these lifts you'll gain a massive amount of power and strength which builds a ton of muscle that will burn tons of excess calories.