Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

People I hate at the gym

Old 10-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, just got a new one from last night.

The cell phone guys. Is it really neccessary that you need to walk around with your cell phone and talk on them? They can't just wait an hour? I think they feel important if they get calls around other people.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:37 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
what irritates me are the kids with the "trucker's hat" worn sideways... tryin' so hard to act cool... it's even worst when it's an adult... (mid20's to even mid 30's) does the same... it's like... "...get over it, you ain't a kid anymore..."
I hate it when they have the matching stylish puma vagina shoes as I like to call them.

They tend to look like track shoes and are usually stylish colors like bright red or orange and make your foot look REEEALLLY tiny. Unless you run track and they are proper track shoes you should not wear these to the gym.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:28 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by phipark

The cell phone guys. Is it really neccessary that you need to walk around with your cell phone and talk on them? They can't just wait an hour? I think they feel important if they get calls around other people.

I can top that... I've seen guys talk with one hand holding the cell. phone to their ear, and the other hand doing an exercise... (like dumbbell curl...)
Old 10-01-2005, 01:36 PM
I shoot people

...I've actually done this once.... I went up to someone who just... ended a (long) conversation on his cell. phone... and in a very polite manner... asked him if he knew of any coffee houses or Starbucks in the area... He pointed one out for me.... then I proceeded to say... "... thanks, cause I think I'll just go workout there next time..." He didn't get at first, but then it hit him...

I mean... I said in a way, where I sounded more like I was joking... rather than being a prick... but I think he got the "hint"
Old 10-03-2005, 02:17 AM
Cosmic Cowboy

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I can top that... I've seen guys talk with one hand holding the cell. phone to their ear, and the other hand doing an exercise... (like dumbbell curl...)
I see that everyday, on the treadmill or sitting on a bench blocking the bar.......then checking to see how much power is left on in the battery.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:22 AM
Cosmic Cowboy

And why do you wear dark shades and have earphones the size of car tires on your head with your cd player in a fanny pack?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:40 AM
Outnumbered at home

Originally Posted by phipark

Even worse are the F-ers that are using the walkie talkie feature on their phone.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:08 AM
That's Racist

I got a new one for ya'll.

Me and my friends call him chains.

When he walks into the gym you can hear the sound of large steal chains jangling like no other in his backpack. Then you find out what they're for. He'll put two plates on either side of the bench, then throw his chains on either end of the bench bar.

Why does he do this instead of just putting a fucking 2.5 or 5 pound weight on either side?

Besides being a total attention whore (everyone turns to look @ the douche when they wonder what the hell all that clanking is), I have no fucking clue.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep

When he walks into the gym you can hear the sound of large steal chains jangling like no other in his backpack. Then you find out what they're for. He'll put two plates on either side of the bench, then throw his chains on either end of the bench bar.

Why does he do this instead of just putting a fucking 2.5 or 5 pound weight on either side?

Besides being a total attention whore (everyone turns to look @ the douche when they wonder what the hell all that clanking is), I have no fucking clue.
Thats pretty bad
Old 10-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
...I've actually done this once.... I went up to someone who just... ended a (long) conversation on his cell. phone... and in a very polite manner... asked him if he knew of any coffee houses or Starbucks in the area... He pointed one out for me.... then I proceeded to say... "... thanks, cause I think I'll just go workout there next time..." He didn't get at first, but then it hit him...

I mean... I said in a way, where I sounded more like I was joking... rather than being a prick... but I think he got the "hint"

nice.

and that chains thing might be #1, thats just terrible. I hate gym attention whores.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:21 PM
I shoot people

there's a guy at this 24 Hour Fitness I go to... I'll admit... it's the only person I've ever seen doing this... He gets on the treadmill and puts this insane incline on it... at a fast walking pace... all the while with a hiking backpack strapped on his back... filled with who knows what... it's just so out of place... it doesn't really bother me... it's more or less entertainment... you look around the room and everybody's like... "WTF???!!!"
Old 10-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Luke 1:37

I'm not sure if this has been said yet, but I hate people who take the dumb bells off the stand and then proceed to do their shrugs, curls, etc... right in front of the mirror and forces people like me to wait until they're done before putting my dumb bells back. I've resorted now to just dropping the dumb bells hard (so that the person hears me) and me rolling it close to where its supposed to go (and then coming back later to put it on the stand)
Old 10-03-2005, 01:02 PM

there's a guy at this 24 Hour Fitness I go to... I'll admit... it's the only person I've ever seen doing this... He gets on the treadmill and puts this insane incline on it... at a fast walking pace... all the while with a hiking backpack strapped on his back... filled with who knows what... it's just so out of place... it doesn't really bother me... it's more or less entertainment... you look around the room and everybody's like... "WTF???!!!"
That just sounds like someone training for a huge hiking trip or something. I would think that's usually done in the winter when they can't hike outside.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:11 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by virtualbong
I'm not sure if this has been said yet, but I hate people who take the dumb bells off the stand and then proceed to do their shrugs, curls, etc... right in front of the mirror and forces people like me to wait until they're done before putting my dumb bells back. I've resorted now to just dropping the dumb bells hard (so that the person hears me) and me rolling it close to where its supposed to go (and then coming back later to put it on the stand)
...yeah, I think I said that earlier... but it's worth mentioning again, cause it is one of my biggest pet peeves...

another one of my "pet peeves" is when people randomly put dumb bells away in the wrong place... some gyms are hopeless... cause the dumb bells are NEVER in the right place... but I hate when I'm using say... 50lb d.b. and some idiot just decides to put the 15lbs on the spot where my 50lbs are suppose to go... which means... I could either do what he did and just place mine... where ever... or I'd have to put those 15lbs where they belong... then... put mine there... Lately, I just flat out tell the guy, blatanly... that they don't go there.

Last edited by is300eater; 10-03-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:13 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by virtualbong
That just sounds like someone training for a huge hiking trip or something. I would think that's usually done in the winter when they can't hike outside.

...well, it's like I said... it doesn't really bother me... it's just so "out of place." I mean... people train for all reasons...
Old 10-03-2005, 01:26 PM

...yeah, I think I said that earlier... but it's worth mentioning again, cause it is one of my biggest pet peeves...

another one of my "pet peeves" is when people randomly put dumb bells away in the wrong place... some gyms are hopeless... cause the dumb bells are NEVER in the right place... but I hate when I'm using say... 50lb d.b. and some idiot just decides to put the 15lbs on the spot where my 50lbs are suppose to go... which means... I could either do what he did and just place mine... where ever... or I'd have to put those 15lbs where they belong... then... put mine there... Lately, I just flat out tell the guy, blatanly... that they don't go there.

Or the people who put the 45 lb plates where the 25 lb plates are supposed to be making it not fit properly and all staggered. Man, that drives me nuts! Or people who feel like they can put random plates wherever they want so you have some one hanger that has a 45 lb plate, then a 5 lb plate, then a 35 lb. plate then a 10 lb plate. Ridiculous! (gotta be the newbies or the "too cool for school" weight room dudes who (like you were saying before) talk on their cell phones.

We'll see whose out there today when I go after work.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep

Chains serve a purpose. They allow the lifter to work on improving their 'sticking point' in their lift.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by rise
Chains serve a purpose. They allow the lifter to work on improving their 'sticking point' in their lift.
...yeah, there's a guy that uses them at my gym but he uses the really heavy duty ones... I think they weigh like... 30lbs each...
Old 10-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

what's funny is that I can imagine that guy going back to his hiking forum and talking about there's so many 'haters' at his gym looking at his training.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:24 PM
That's Racist

I'm not too clear on this cause I've never heard of this. So I'm asuming sticking point... is @ the exact point where you know the chain hits the ground, right? (So you would know if you're benching @ an absolute 180 degrees)...

Cause this guy's chains are piled up on the ground and he's just going up and down clanking and clacking.

Please fill me in.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-chains.htm

The purpose of chains in the bench press is to build speed (accelerating quickly off your chest) and learning how to explode the weight as you hit the lockout (the finish) of the bench press. As we bring the weight to our chest all the chains should just role into a pile on the floor. As you press the weight up, the chains then come off the floor with the bar making the weight heavier.

In regular training the weight is always the same weight, by adding chains we learn how to accelerate from the start of the lift and work on our lockout at the finish. This is something that we can't accomplish with regular old conventional training. Meaning (just the bar and plates).
Old 10-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Cosmic Cowboy

OK
I don't know if someone had this one.........some woman about in her mid to late sixties wearing a loose,open top.............no bra and looking around hoping some handsome young stud would give her play
Old 10-13-2005, 07:51 PM
That's Racist

http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-chains.htm

The purpose of chains in the bench press is to build speed (accelerating quickly off your chest) and learning how to explode the weight as you hit the lockout (the finish) of the bench press. As we bring the weight to our chest all the chains should just role into a pile on the floor. As you press the weight up, the chains then come off the floor with the bar making the weight heavier.

In regular training the weight is always the same weight, by adding chains we learn how to accelerate from the start of the lift and work on our lockout at the finish. This is something that we can't accomplish with regular old conventional training. Meaning (just the bar and plates).
That does make a lot of sense, BUT. I think it's still more fun to think of him as an attention whore.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:53 AM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't hate these people, but they annoy me.....

The people (when they are entering or leaving) who hit the handicap button to open the door so they don't have to push the door open. Yes, all the doors are push open. You don't even have to stop, reverse your momentum, and pull. All you have to do is lean on the door, but these people insist on pushing the handicap button. They even stop to wait, because the door doesn't open fast enough on it's own. All you have to do is push!!!

/rant
Old 10-15-2005, 12:56 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
I don't hate these people, but they annoy me.....

The people (when they are entering or leaving) who hit the handicap button to open the door so they don't have to push the door open. Yes, all the doors are push open. You don't even have to stop, reverse your momentum, and pull. All you have to do is lean on the door, but these people insist on pushing the handicap button. They even stop to wait, because the door doesn't open fast enough on it's own. All you have to do is push!!!

/rant
I have to admit, I used the handicap button the other day, but I was at the mall, leaving a department store with stuff in my hands, it was either kicking the door open or use the botton. But, no... I wouldn't use one at a gym.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Not Asian

The guy that lights up a cigarette the moment he gets out the door.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Racer

there's a guy at this 24 Hour Fitness I go to...
I gotta admit that gym is convenient for alot of folks and their hours, but their customer service needs some toning and all the other items you guys mentioned in this thread about people at the gym is what i notice at that gym. So for the people i hate, it's the 24 hour fitness folks that are not courtesy to others (not wiping down equipment after use, stealing a machine when I clearly have my gym bag and towel within the vicinity of the machine, etc.) and the freaking management.

I have a dual membership at also Gold's and honestly I have to say that the gym folks are rather courtesy, helpful, management is awesome, it's like almost a community and people there DO re-rack their plates, ask before using a machine you're on, no high schoolers that are just goofing around, the only issue...women, 24 hour has got better eye candy...let's be real we all need a bit of this too.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:31 AM
Eat my shorts!!

i guess i should add my own little story.

the sole point of going to the gym is to workout and leave. Some people on the othe r hand try to prove how "hard" they are.
case in point....
I was working out my shoulders and there happens to be this "azn" guy doing bicep curls. Of course he was wearing what seemed like an empty sackpack. something like this

btw, I think this bag is meant for girls and not guys.
anywho, being asian myself, he tried to prove that he was badass. He kept staring at me and when he was done with his set, he literally dropped the damn dumb bells. It bounces and slams into the wall making a loud noise. Everyone cranks their necks into source of the sound and gives a WTF look. This douche just walks away to a bicep curl machine leaving the db for a staff to put up.

This little episode was not over. Once at the bicep machine, he decides that it wasn't heavy enough for him. What does he do? go around the gym looking for the approriate weights. Now, most people would find the weights and add it to the machine without incident. Not with this guy!! He chunks 5 and 10 pound plates at the damn machine. It was as if he was playing horseshoes.

People like this piss me off to no end. The gym is a place to workout, PERIOD!! that's my story and I'm sticking to it
Old 12-31-2005, 12:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CL Platano
The worse is naked guy..Usually naked guy is old as hell and makes it even worse
Last week I saw the worst thing ever. One of the creepy naked guys who usually loiters around the locker room butt naked for 20 -45 minutes a day laid a towel on the floor and shaved his pubes with an electric razor. F**king disgusting!!

Of course once he was done he picked his towel full of pubic hair of the floor, put it in the bin full of towels that need to be washed, then shaved, combed his, hair, and applied his deodorant all while standing around butt naked.

Last edited by SpeedyV6; 12-31-2005 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Last week I saw the worst thing ever. One of the creepy naked guys who usually loiters around the locker room butt naked for 20 -45 minutes a day laid a towel on the floor and shaved his pubes with an electric razor. F**king disgusting!!

Of course once he was done he picked his towel full of pubic hair of the floor, put it in the bin full of towels that need to be washed, then shaved, combed his, hair, and applied his deodorant all while standing around butt naked.
EWWWWWWWWW. Those old hairy men that walk around naked all the time are the worst.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:09 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by goddsmack
I gotta admit that gym is convenient for alot of folks and their hours, but their customer service needs some toning and all the other items you guys mentioned in this thread about people at the gym is what i notice at that gym. So for the people i hate, it's the 24 hour fitness folks that are not courtesy to others (not wiping down equipment after use, stealing a machine when I clearly have my gym bag and towel within the vicinity of the machine, etc.) and the freaking management.

I have a dual membership at also Gold's and honestly I have to say that the gym folks are rather courtesy, helpful, management is awesome, it's like almost a community and people there DO re-rack their plates, ask before using a machine you're on, no high schoolers that are just goofing around, the only issue...women, 24 hour has got better eye candy...let's be real we all need a bit of this too.
...I totally agree with you on all the above... that's weird, I belong to both 24 Hour Fitness AND Gold's Gym!
Old 12-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6

That is straight fucked up dude!! I'd have gotten the hell out of there ASAP!
Old 01-02-2006, 03:02 AM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

One of the worst things.....

The gym after New Years....all those punks that join for the 1st three months.....damn it....crowding the areas.....
Old 01-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Cosmic Cowboy

Damn....OK........got a new one, got this old gay guy following me around from station to station. I'm trying to respect this fool but I've grown tired of looking up and seeing this clown grinning at me. If I punch him out that would cause another problem. I've told this bitch to back off once but he's back.

Any ideas for PLAN B
Old 01-14-2006, 11:54 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by g1underground
Damn....OK........got a new one, got this old gay guy following me around from station to station. I'm trying to respect this fool but I've grown tired of looking up and seeing this clown grinning at me. If I punch him out that would cause another problem. I've told this bitch to back off once but he's back.

Any ideas for PLAN B
I hate that, I get hit on by gays from time to time, but usually they're not that persistent. If you have to be blatant about it, then that might be the answer, tell him that you don't "swing that way" and even if you did... he's no where in your league,
Old 01-15-2006, 02:49 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by RaptorCLS
One of the worst things.....

The gym after New Years....all those punks that join for the 1st three months.....damn it....crowding the areas.....
I hate this as well.

Between work, travel and flu...I have not been in the gym in 2 months and I HATE that.

But my membership is up and I have to renew....and I do get back in...this week hopefully. I am not looking foward to all the NY resolution people that just waste space with no agenda.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:23 AM
I SMELL NAWZ

the fully bearded facial hair white guy with glass's who dress's like hes working out in the fuckin 70's with the mini skirt shorts and tube socks / bands / squeeze water bottle
Old 02-08-2006, 02:16 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by SanJoseRoller
the fully bearded facial hair white guy with glass's who dress's like hes working out in the fuckin 70's with the mini skirt shorts and tube socks / bands / squeeze water bottle

I've seen guys like that but I can top it... instead of tube socks... DRESS SHOES SOCKS
Old 02-08-2006, 05:16 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the fool that sits on the freakin benches w/ his bare butt cheeks and then raises up his foot to clip his toenails while I'm standing there trying to change.

DAMN Him.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
There is the guy at my gym. He thinks he's the shit. He has to be in his 40's always walks around in some tight ass wrestling outfit complete with the speghetti straps, and popping his chewing gum as loud as he can; I rarely see him do anything, he just walks around trying to look tough and watches what everyone else is doing. I could ignore him, if it wasn't for that damn GUM POPPING!!!

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 02-08-2006 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: People I hate at the gym