Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

People I hate at the gym

Old 03-23-2005, 10:19 AM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BEETROOT
another guy at my gym lifts in jeans, timberlands, and bright orange industrial work gloves.

there's a kid at my gym that lifts in timberlands.... wears all regular gym clothes, looks like he's going to play some basketball, until you see his shoes

Edit: Newspaper people SUCK!!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Stay or leave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing I'd like to add to this whole thread is that when your doing 110 dumbells on flat bench, its a little hard to put them down lightly don't you think? I'm not saying you need to drop them from the top of your rep, but i'm not going to pull my arm out of the socket just to put it down nicely.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by anothercls
That's nice....I guess it's better than the woman who used to shit in the trash can in the locker room.
Intriguing...let's hear more.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Reddly9007
The only thing I'd like to add to this whole thread is that when your doing 110 dumbells on flat bench, its a little hard to put them down lightly don't you think? I'm not saying you need to drop them from the top of your rep, but i'm not going to pull my arm out of the socket just to put it down nicely.
I don't have a problem with that. As long as you aren't making noise to get attention, which most of the weight droppers are.

Usually the guys who put up the most weight don't need everyone in the gym to know they are doing it.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicep curls in the squat rack.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:32 AM
My Work is Done Here

The other day, I was on the bike... the guy next to me was reading a newspaper while he was riding (I don't understand why people do this), anyway he gets done with whatever he's reading in that section and throws the paper on the floor. A few minutes later, he throws another section on the floor and hits me with it doesn't even phase him. A few minutes after that he gets up and leaves, without picking up his paper
Old 03-23-2005, 10:43 AM
ric
Safety Car

I shut off a membership in a trendy gym in Philly for the reasons outlined above. THe worst is sexualizing the environment, which at this location, included the lycra spandex crowd, both male and female, hitting on each other, in any potential combination. I really wished they would keep that to the juice bar before and after, when it is not part of the workout environment. For me, working out is partially a meditative thing, getting into my own headspace and doing my rounds; it is pretty private, and I like to do it without a lot of need to socialize. It meant giving up swimming, which, oddly, was the least sexually charged environment, despite that most of us were swimmers who wore bodytight speedos. Somehow, it is hard to cruise while swimming laps; the freeweight and nautilus rooms were a whole different thing, and you might have thought it was some kind of singles bar.

My wife, stepson and I have a trainer who has his own fitness center, and it is not a freewheeling gym, but a workout and training site. His staff run a pretty tight ship, and there isn't a lot of nonsense going on. A lot of post-career athletes, a lot of middle aged folks who want to train safely and a lot of young folks who want the structure. I gave up trying to structure my own workout regimen because I was always pushing myself for progress too quicly, and injuring myself. Working with a trainer is great, despite the costs; I've built a program with him that is based on responding to a middle aged diabetic's needs, and he and I can talk bluntly about my body as a professional task. I'm no musclebound jock, and I do get sensitive in gyms where there is either cruising or serious bodysculpting going on........................

For the rest of the time, I use an exercise room my firm built in our basement, or the "spa" in my apartment building, the only probelm there is an octegenarian wearing flame read lycra bycicle shorts while weightlifting to the chanting of the Yale fight song. a little bizarre.............. but at 80, I'll cut him some slack for still being in the game. Most of the people who use my apartment "spa" know me, know my wife, and we have a collegial relationship based on using the spa because it is convenient and comes with the condo fee. We respect each other's time on the equipment, clean up after we work out, dress so that we don't look obscene, and avoid articulating our pain. And yep, I always make sure the weights are ordered by size, but we all do that. Occassionally some newcomer is pulled aside and told to besure he remembers to replace the equipment.......... easier to estabish a social order when you live in the same building.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by ric
For me, working out is partially a meditative thing, getting into my own headspace and doing my rounds; it is pretty private, and I like to do it without a lot of need to socialize.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd share my gym with you any day.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:52 AM
ric
Safety Car

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd share my gym with you any day.
Funny, you can tell the folks for whom that is the case. Generally provide you with your own" space" and privacy, treat the equipment respectfully, move through the regimen with the speed it needs, and take the social and down time someplace else. Share the equipment with a quiet negotiation and a clear statement - one more round and I'm done, then off the equpiment, wipe down the seat and move on.......... Read the newspaper in the john or the juice bar, and keep the cellphone turned OFF and in the locker........................ Just me and my endorphins, a quiet moment for me during the week when I get to live in my body.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by ric
Funny, you can tell the folks for whom that is the case. Generally provide you with your own" space" and privacy, treat the equipment respectfully, move through the regimen with the speed it needs, and take the social and down time someplace else. Share the equipment with a quiet negotiation and a clear statement - one more round and I'm done, then off the equpiment, wipe down the seat and move on.......... Read the newspaper in the john or the juice bar, and keep the cellphone turned OFF and in the locker........................ Just me and my endorphins, a quiet moment for me during the week when I get to live in my body.
Thats why I always lift alone. I can zone out and get my workout done without having any distractions. Back in the days before full time employment, I used to work out at 2am. There is nothing better than a 10,000 square foot gym to yourself.

I actually wear headphones at all times, even though I'm not always listening to music, just so people don't try to start conversations with me.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Thats why I always lift alone. I can zone out and get my workout done without having any distractions. Back in the days before full time employment, I used to work out at 2am. There is nothing better than a 10,000 square foot gym to yourself.

I actually wear headphones at all times, even though I'm not always listening to music, just so people don't try to start conversations with me.

I'm not alone..... :gheyhug:
Old 03-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Banned

ric and beetroot nailed it - I am at the gym to do a job and accomplish something, none of which is to socialize with people, hit on chicks, or use the flat bench as a park bench. I also HATE people who cannot treat the gym and equipment, and essentially other people, with repsect. My Bally's frequently has dumbbells all over the place, leg presses that are loaded with weights, empty water bottles on the ground, etc. I think this is more teenagers than anything, but I am sure some asshole adults do this too. We have some crates by the cable machines that house the different attachments and there was some empty water bottle in there. I took it out and threw it against the wall to make sure others saw it in there. Such BS.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Stay or leave

I don't have a problem with that. As long as you aren't making noise to get attention, which most of the weight droppers are.

Usually the guys who put up the most weight don't need everyone in the gym to know they are doing it.

I agree the people who grunt and make lots of noise, its totally un-necessary! I go pretty heavy and never make much noise, might breath heavy but definitely no weird noises. But I guess I see what people are saying, some people defintely drop weights deliberately, I am not one of them.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Stay or leave

Aside from everything, my number one annoying factor at the gym is.........

the guy standing right in front of the dumbell rack doing 15lb curls and won't step back to let me either put weight back on the rack or take it off. I just want to drop my dumbells on his feet. TAKE A FUCKING STEP BACK! last time I checked standing closer to the rack and mirror doesn't make you look bigger!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:28 AM
My Work is Done Here

Aside from everything, my number one annoying factor at the gym is.........

the guy standing right in front of the dumbell rack doing 15lb curls and won't step back to let me either put weight back on the rack or take it off. I just want to drop my dumbells on his feet. TAKE A FUCKING STEP BACK! last time I checked standing closer to the rack and mirror doesn't make you look bigger!

I HATE THOSE GUYS!!! There are even guys that do it when the gym is at it's busiest, 6pm on weekdays. "Nobody else will need weights from this rack" - pussies.

Also, the guys that stand directly between you and the mirror, while you're doing a set. It stretches the entire length of the wall - maybe 150 ft - and he stands right in front of me damn, I'm bitchy today
Old 03-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Stay or leave

people who do shrugs are notorious for standing right in front of the rack! If i'm really in a bad mood or i'm holding heavy dumbells i'll just move in and bump them, i really don't give a shit half the time, i'm on a mission!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Banned

I agree the people who grunt and make lots of noise, its totally un-necessary! I go pretty heavy and never make much noise, might breath heavy but definitely no weird noises. But I guess I see what people are saying, some people defintely drop weights deliberately, I am not one of them.
yes and no - when I go heavy on squats and deadlifts, I am going to make some noise. I am not trying to impress, but it just happens. But there are the token "yellers" in the gym who do it to be bad asses.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Stay or leave

Originally Posted by Adam_Schwartz
yes and no - when I go heavy on squats and deadlifts, I am going to make some noise. I am not trying to impress, but it just happens. But there are the token "yellers" in the gym who do it to be bad asses.
You still do heavy squats and deads, since college I just can't bring myself to go heavy on either of those anymore, don't want to risk injury

by the way, bent or stiff legged deadlifts, just curious?

Last edited by Reddly9007; 03-23-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
leg presses that are loaded with weights
Damn, I just did my leg workout this morning and I was so exhausted/lightheaded, I just went straight to the shower. Didn't even realize that I left all the weights on the legpress! Usually I'm the last guy who would do something like that. Working out the legs puts me in a totally different zone though
Old 03-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Banned

You still do heavy squats and deads, since college I just can't bring myself to go heavy on either of those anymore, don't want to risk injury

by the way, bent or stiff legged deadlifts, just curious?
Oh yeah, I still go heavy on both. Not all the time, every time, but I have to push myself to grow and/or get strong so I go heavy sometimes. I am only 29, so still have some lifts left in me. If you have good form, injury risk is minimal. And to be honest, these lifts help my knees feel better.

Re: stiff leg or normal deads - yes and yes. I do them both, as well as partial deadlifts. I lift a lot like a power lifter, just not with the intent to lift insane amounts of weight for some competition. I do it because they are efficient lifts in terms of greatest gains in the shortest time frame.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FastAcura
Damn, I just did my leg workout this morning and I was so exhausted/lightheaded, I just went straight to the shower. Didn't even realize that I left all the weights on the legpress! Usually I'm the last guy who would do something like that. Working out the legs puts me in a totally different zone though
Oh no!! You are THAT guy!!! Go back and unload that leg press!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Oh no!! You are THAT guy!!! Go back and unload that leg press!
Actually, I could do that. I work on the 7th floor and my gym is on the first. Would take me less than 5 minutes But I'm sure someone has done it already.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Revelation 3:15-17

Get your SWOLL on!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Luke 1:37

LOL, this was a great topic!

I'm sure someone mentioned it but what about:

The cell phone guy. I mean damn, does someone really need to contact you within the 1-2 hrs that you are at the gym. And what's worse is when they start talking all loud and laughing, acting like he's having this super duper hilarious conversation just so that people hear him and think that he's this funny ass tard.

btw. I hate people who read at the gym, especially when they break out the newspaper and sit there on the bench when I'm ready to freakin' get my flat bench on. Bastards.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

At work, seems like noone knows the rules of gym etiquette. Absolutely drives me :insane:

- people who use the lockers for their personal storage. They keep the key all day, and come and go as they please, leavin' their stuff in there for the whole week.

- nekkid guy as mentioned before

- people who don't re-rack the weights

- the turds who flex and check themselves out in the gym

- people who while they shower, leave their crap all over one of the benches. There's only 4 benches; it can definitely drive you nuts.

I'm like some of you guys. Don't socialize (of course, say hi to the regulars or whatever.) Always wear my headphones, and do my thing. There's no other way!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Banned

re: flexing. Flexing is actually good for your mucles, but I am sure that some dudes do it just so they can feel better about themselves. I flex all the time, but kind of in a quiet manner, like when I am sitting at my desk, etc. It kind of feels good to flex actually.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Revelation 3:15-17

^ I FLEX in front of the mirror all the time.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Yeehaw

re: flexing. Flexing is actually good for your mucles, but I am sure that some dudes do it just so they can feel better about themselves. I flex all the time, but kind of in a quiet manner, like when I am sitting at my desk, etc. It kind of feels good to flex actually.

yep. big difference between that and doing your mr olympia poses in the mirror by the dumbbell rack though.

want to know a great way to relax? make fists with both hands, then tighten and hold your forearms, then biceps, shoulders, etc.. down to your feet, until every muscle is flexed. Hold it as hard as you can for about 10 seconds, then relax.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a guy ask me to move out of the way while he was doing preacher curls in front of the mirror.....he was one of those "fat, used to do steroids, now I just eat alot" homos.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Banned

He had to look at himself do preachers? What a fuckin homo.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Banned

yep. big difference between that and doing your mr olympia poses in the mirror by the dumbbell rack though.

want to know a great way to relax? make fists with both hands, then tighten and hold your forearms, then biceps, shoulders, etc.. down to your feet, until every muscle is flexed. Hold it as hard as you can for about 10 seconds, then relax.
Right, there is that fine line and most gym homos cross it with their 5 minute flex-a-thons. Good call on how to relax via flexing.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Aahh, I knew that being a fat couch potato had some benefits.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
and i assume you are the perfect example of a gym member

or are you the antisocial, sociopathical, beefing up to kill somebody gym guy?

Old 03-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by CLean B
and i assume you are the perfect example of a gym member

or are you the antisocial, sociopathical, beefing up to kill somebody gym guy?

is this directed to me?

if it is... yes, you are dead on.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:45 PM
OCD in the OC

What about the skinny/fat guy who comes over to you and says, "you're doing it wrong. Here's how you do it correctly."

Or, what about the fat personal trainer? Who would pay a fat personal trainer? I guess the idiots at my gym do because he seems to have a lot of business.

Or, what about the new years resolution people? You can't find a parking spot for the first 2 weeks of January because of these people. However, don't worry, they're gone by the third week.

Or, what about the fat guys who make fun of you for benching less than them. I don't care that they can bench that much--they are fat! I can bench what I can bench and I have muscle. Geez.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
is this directed to me?

Old 03-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned

i hate going to the gym
Old 03-23-2005, 06:04 PM
MIA

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i hate:
the people who make so much noise running on the treadmills
the people who sweat all over the equipment but don't carry a towel to wipe their sweat up
the people who don't wear deodorant to the gym and you can smell them 3 machines over
the girls in the locker room that stare and watch you get dressed
people who steal raquetball courts
Old 03-23-2005, 06:14 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Out of all the things I do on a regular basis, there is no place where I see weirder shit going on than at the gym. Some people drive me crazy...

weight slamming guy. you can do 8 reps, but can't manage to set the weights down? fucking attention whores.

spandex guy. unless you are in a spinning class, there is NO REASON to wear spandex shorts while you lift.

extra short shorts guy. same as spandex. no one wants to see your balls buddy. get some real shorts.

reading guy. there are some guys at my gym that sit on a machine and read an entire section of the NYT between sets.

lazy guy, social guy. if you come to the gym, work out. the benches aren't there for you to sit on your ass and try to socialize for an hour.

bad form guy. usually the older guys. when these guys swing and jerk the weights around it looks like they are having a seizure. first, learn proper form before you really hurt yourself. second, if you can't finish your sets with good form, LOWER THE WEIGHT.

dancing guy. there is always some dude with headphones doing homo-aerobics in the corner of the gym. do that shit in private.

screaming guy. needs no explanation.

fat 'sans appropriate clothing' guy. if you are 60 lbs overweight, please don't wear an under armour running jersey. its gross.

naked guy. the only time to be naked is in the shower, and while in the process of putting on clothes. when you are shaving, brushing your teeth, wandering the locker room at least put on a fucking towel. and for gods sake don't try to start a conversation with me while you are naked.

/rant. just needed to vent... and I've got nothing to do at work.

I totally agree with you... and this is coming from a guy whose, now a personal trainer and been in the gym scene since 87' so... I've seen it all...

...I also wanna add the guys that's your typical bulky "lineman" kinda guy... that can bench press a shit load... walks around like he's bad ass... BUT yet... couldn't do 10 sit ups if his life was depended on it.

people (men AND women) with too much perfume/cologne.

people (usually guys) that stink with really bad B.O.

guys (usually older guys) that come in to workout with lofers and black socks with shorts

people that talk on the cell. LOAD!

people that jump on your machine without asking when you just step away a few feet between sets.

people that spit in the drinking fountain

poeple that sweat a lot and don't wipe up after.

the "Don Juan" trainer that go around hittin' on all the cute girls, and yet he's NOT a very good trainer to begin with.

...which reminds me... people that "think" they know what they're doing, and decide that they "personal trainers" so they'll train their girlfriends or wives... WRONG.

thats all I can think of right now... but I'm sure there're more.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:23 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

is this directed to me?

Yep I hate talking to people at the gym

The only one I disagree with you on is the lowering the weights thing. I usually like to max out on my last rep and need someone there to spot me because I always do the last one and am not sure if I can get it all the way up. I dunno just makes me feel better and gives me that pain in the morning I so very much love.

Quick Reply: People I hate at the gym