Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

People I hate at the gym

Old 12-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a few people that drive me nuts:

1.) The New Years Resolution Clowns
2.) Frat boys come home to try to show off the fact that they finally found the gym
3.) Skinny guys trying to use more weight than they should even consider lifting
4.) Women who can out lift 80% of the men in the gym (Scary)
5.) Guys that come up to me when Im in the middle of a set
6.) Guys that come up to me to ask me how many I have left, while Im in my set
7.) THE WORST ***** When I ask how many someone has left they answer, "Just started." Guess what, JUST STARTED isnt a number. *****
Old 12-25-2006, 07:52 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperStar

7.) THE WORST ***** When I ask how many someone has left they answer, "Just started." Guess what, JUST STARTED isnt a number. *****
I hate that one too, but from years of time spent at gyms... I can you you this... that's their way of saying: "BUG OFF, I don't wanna share, and don't rush me"
Old 12-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
I dont work at a huge, steroid looking buffhouse, but I am at a private fitness center where it's main focus is Tennis. They do have a good selection of weights though. Everyday I see new and interesting things that make me either laugh to myself or shake my head. The average age at this club is about 40yrs old.

I havent gone through all 15 pges to there might be repeats.

-18 yr old kids about 110 lbs soaking wet taking about 70lb dumbells and trying to press them. They do roughly 1 rep and then stop. This goes on for about 3-4 sets (if you wanna call them sets)
-People who press dumbells and let them fall to the ground instead of bringing them down to your thighs and and bringing them to the ground.
-people who sing outloud whats playing on their ipod.
-A lady who has the body of a 5000 calorie diet and looks like she hasnt worked out a day in her life dressed in a leatard. (sp)
-older men who curl swinging their back like they are loose fence about to fall down.
-People who come up to me as I'm in the middle of my reps (thank god I wear earplugs now)
-People who come directly onto my machine when I am standing right next to it resting in between sets. Why not ask first?
-People on lat pull down machines who look like they are trying to pull a boat onto the shore, swinging all over the place.
-People who grunt very loudly when they arent even in shape. I think they just wanna tell people how much they can lift and not actaully drop down in weight and do it correctly.
-men in the locker room standing around naked talking to their friends well beyond a few minutes. Towel that shit up.
-Old men who lay down on the locker room seats naked to read a book.

There's tons, but those are some that come to mind.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:31 AM
Pink Domo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I take a boxing class at my company gym. On more than a few occasions, these ghetto-fab, heavily stank-cologned guys come up to me with huge smirks asking if I box while I'm holding gloves. No sh*t, Sherlock.

1) They stroll into class in all their chained and fake blinged glory, 10-15 minutes late to avoid warming up.
2) Start wailing on the heavy bags with poor form.
3) Huff and puff loudly, while thrusting out their scrawny chests. Yeah, I be badass, yo.
4) Avoid our instructor's directions for punch combinations and start wailing randomly on the bags again, instead of working on technique.
5) Walking away when they were supposed to hold the bag for their partner.

Lucky for me, these individuals usually get picked on by my instructor and don't come back. However, the same kind of people reappear a few weeks later.

I also can't wait for the New Year's resolution people to go away. Ugh, the first few weeks of January are gonna be crazy.

Last edited by manda; 12-26-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^You got that right. The first few months of every year means clogged up facilities. Around March, all the resolutioners start clearing out and we can get back to normal.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by is300eater
I hate that one too, but from years of time spent at gyms... I can you you this... that's their way of saying: "BUG OFF, I don't wanna share, and don't rush me"
They generally get done fast after I request it from them. On a few occasions, deep enough in a crazy work out, I have actually said, "Just started is not a number, pick a number." They usually dont know how to respond and finally come back with something like "8" which then prompts me to say, "8? You obviously dont know what you are doing here."

Generally these are the clowns that come bother me just before I'm about to start a 95 pound dumbell shoulder press set. IDIOTS.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:04 PM
I shoot people

They generally get done fast after I request it from them. On a few occasions, deep enough in a crazy work out, I have actually said, "Just started is not a number, pick a number." They usually dont know how to respond and finally come back with something like "8" which then prompts me to say, "8? You obviously dont know what you are doing here."

Generally these are the clowns that come bother me just before I'm about to start a 95 pound dumbell shoulder press set. IDIOTS.
well, I'm not trying to start sh!t with you, but sometimes I do say: "...I just started, and to be honest? I'm not sure how many sets I have here, but you're more than welcome to work in if you like" There's ONE universal/multi-purpose pulley machine that I absolutely love and I can actually do my entire arms workout there... (about 1 hour long). I've been working out long enough to where I don't EVER go by a specific #, sometimes I'll do 3 sets, and be done with it, cause I'm not feelin' it... sometimes I WILL do 8 sets... it's whatever feels right.

...and SuperStar? I assure I know what I'm doing... and since we're throwing out numbers? I rep out 80lbs dumbbells shoulder press... but I only weigh 160lb.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Banned

SuperStar has a massive penis I'd wager.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by waTSX
^^You got that right. The first few months of every year means clogged up facilities. Around March, all the resolutioners start clearing out and we can get back to normal.
oh geez..I forgot that time is coming around again..all these newbies are going to be hogging up all the machines and weights now...ugghh.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Racer

well, I'm not trying to start sh!t with you, but sometimes I do say: "...I just started, and to be honest? I'm not sure how many sets I have here, but you're more than welcome to work in if you like" There's ONE universal/multi-purpose pulley machine that I absolutely love and I can actually do my entire arms workout there... (about 1 hour long). I've been working out long enough to where I don't EVER go by a specific #, sometimes I'll do 3 sets, and be done with it, cause I'm not feelin' it... sometimes I WILL do 8 sets... it's whatever feels right.

...and SuperStar? I assure I know what I'm doing... and since we're throwing out numbers? I rep out 80lbs dumbbells shoulder press... but I only weigh 160lb.
That's pretty impressive, I weigh 184 pounds and I can rep as high as 105 for sets of 8. I dont go there often because I dont compete/dont want to compete and it's an injury risk not worth taking.

By the way, I'm talking about these issues at a gym that is over 50,000 sq. ft. with more machines and free weights than anyone knows what to do with. It is TOTALLY different when you're talking about a pulley machine like you are suggesting. By the way, if someone invited me to work in, I would, but it's generally the douche bags that dont know what they're doing and waste everyones time with 8+ sets on the bench/decline/incline.

If I saw you working arms with just a pulley set up for an entire work out, I would kindly suggest you go look at the dumbbells, barbells, and cambered bars.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:08 AM
I shoot people

If I saw you working arms with just a pulley set up for an entire work out, I would kindly suggest you go look at the dumbbells, barbells, and cambered bars.
no offense, but talk about people I hate at the gym... people that "suggest" me how to do my workout...

it's one thing if someone tells me about a particular exercise, but to suggest? that's like a pet peeve of mine... on occasion, other trainers may show me a new exercise they read or made up... and say "hey you ought to try it" that's fine...

Last edited by is300eater; 12-27-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Advanced

Ok, not sure when this turned into a shitting contest, but I'll agree with Superstar on that point. Aside from the fact you'd be hogging a machine, free weights are a better use of time overall anyway (unless you're just getting back into things after an injury). I don't think Super meant 'suggest" as in instruct, I think he meant that as in "stop, you seem clueless and it's wasting MY time, try something else." I've definately had a few experiences like that myself.

I've never known a serious lifter who didn't have a structured plan laid out. "Lifting by ear" seems counterintuitive to almost everything I've learned.

And while those numbers are being thrown out, I'm compelled to mention I shoulder press 70 lb sets (so we're on the same page, a "shoulder press" is arms lateral at 90 degrees to the elbow holding weight up, raise to bring weights together over your head, back to 90 degrees, repeat) and most people consider me a "big enough" guy. I'm not fat either (although I consider myself to be lol). The power to weight ratios suggested by your numbers are out there.... I've seen true powerhouses using less weight (the 105 in particular). So are you guys just physical specimens or has the spirit of competition caused your numbers to creep? I won't deny the competitive spirit in me spurred the question in the first place, my bench routine is up on a thread in this forum, which I think most people would be proud of. Your shoulder numbers are huge, and that opinion comes from a guy with traps I can grip like a softball...
Old 12-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Racer

no offense, but talk about people I hate at the gym... people that "suggest" me how to do my workout...

it's one thing if someone tells me about a particular exercise, but to suggest? that's like a pet peeve of mine... on occasion, other trainers may show me a new exercise they read or made up... and say "hey you ought to try it" that's fine...

You take suggest way too far.

If you were my friend I would certainly 'SUGGEST', but if you were just some bum in the gym I dont know, I wouldnt say a word to you.

Last edited by SuperStar; 12-28-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by goswald80
Ok, not sure when this turned into a shitting contest, but I'll agree with Superstar on that point. Aside from the fact you'd be hogging a machine, free weights are a better use of time overall anyway (unless you're just getting back into things after an injury). I don't think Super meant 'suggest" as in instruct, I think he meant that as in "stop, you seem clueless and it's wasting MY time, try something else." I've definately had a few experiences like that myself.

I've never known a serious lifter who didn't have a structured plan laid out. "Lifting by ear" seems counterintuitive to almost everything I've learned.

And while those numbers are being thrown out, I'm compelled to mention I shoulder press 70 lb sets (so we're on the same page, a "shoulder press" is arms lateral at 90 degrees to the elbow holding weight up, raise to bring weights together over your head, back to 90 degrees, repeat) and most people consider me a "big enough" guy. I'm not fat either (although I consider myself to be lol). The power to weight ratios suggested by your numbers are out there.... I've seen true powerhouses using less weight (the 105 in particular). So are you guys just physical specimens or has the spirit of competition caused your numbers to creep? I won't deny the competitive spirit in me spurred the question in the first place, my bench routine is up on a thread in this forum, which I think most people would be proud of. Your shoulder numbers are huge, and that opinion comes from a guy with traps I can grip like a softball...
I've always been very strong for my size.

I am 5'9 184 my best lifts have actually been when I weighed 175. At that stage I could max bench 375 and rep out 375 on the squat. (never maxed squat)

Currently I could probably bench 350 max, but most of my other exercises are considerably stronger than my heaviest bench days. Just last night I repped the 100's for shoulder press, though I didnt get as good of sets as I would like so I never bothered with the 105's.

I have been very focused in the gym for the past 7 years and I have often been yelled at for not going the competition route. IMO Im in the gym for me and competition and the garbage that comes along with it doesnt float my boat. I far more enjoy pissing off the douche bags that juice when I can out lift them naturally.

My strongest lifts are definitely shoulder and upper pec related.

Last edited by SuperStar; 12-28-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:26 PM
I shoot people

You take suggest way too far.

If you were my friend I would certainly 'SUGGEST', but if you were just some bum in the gym I dont know, I wouldnt say a word to you.
it's all good man...

but back to the subject of "people I hate..."

the one thing I can't stand is when people whin about the music... I mean, everybody has a different taste in music, you just can please everyone... I, sooooo wanna tell'em "SHUT UP ALRIGHT AND GET A F-ING IPOD!!!"
Old 12-28-2006, 01:38 PM

it's all good man...

but back to the subject of "people I hate..."

the one thing I can't stand is when people whin about the music... I mean, everybody has a different taste in music, you just can please everyone... I, sooooo wanna tell'em "SHUT UP ALRIGHT AND GET A F-ING IPOD!!!"
word...i've heard all sorts of music, from rap rock r&b pop @ the gym. it's not like it's one genre playing all the time, atleast in my gym atleast. 99% of the time i have my ipod in anyways so most likely i can't hear them whining n bitching
Old 12-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Oh well it's

man that was a good rant
Old 12-29-2006, 10:48 AM
luvmyride

I hate 24hr fitness

I really HATE 24 hour fitness. The whole gym experience is miserable but last night really made me mad. They have installed a new system to check ID, now you must either get finger printed to be buzzed into the gym or wait for one of the morons at the front desk to buzz you in. I just went through and got attitude from the front desk, my card was out and ready she was just ignoring me. Now its going to be fight the traffic to get there, hunt for parking, wait in a line to get in and then deal with all the new people
Old 12-29-2006, 12:11 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by un4getable
I really HATE 24 hour fitness. The whole gym experience is miserable but last night really made me mad. They have installed a new system to check ID, now you must either get finger printed to be buzzed into the gym or wait for one of the morons at the front desk to buzz you in. I just went through and got attitude from the front desk, my card was out and ready she was just ignoring me. Now its going to be fight the traffic to get there, hunt for parking, wait in a line to get in and then deal with all the new people
shit, I hope they don't start that finger printing business at the one I go to... it's usually pretty casual... they just wave me by... I don't even check in sometimes...
Old 12-29-2006, 12:37 PM
luvmyride

Get ready for it b/c from what I hear they are doing that at all the 24hr gyms. It’s rolling out at all the San Diego locations right now. I know people at the corporate office and that's what they are telling me....
Old 12-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I shoot people

Get ready for it b/c from what I hear they are doing that at all the 24hr gyms. It’s rolling out at all the San Diego locations right now. I know people at the corporate office and that's what they are telling me....
ugh! hopefully I'll still get the usual wave implying "...you're good, go ahead..."
Old 12-29-2006, 01:19 PM
luvmyride

I used to get the wave also, but now with the turn styles we will never be able to just walk in anymore. It’s like going to an amusement park (in more ways then one). At least at my gym I won’t walk in anymore, maybe somehow Dana Point will escape this new system.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:27 PM
I shoot people

I used to get the wave also, but now with the turn styles we will never be able to just walk in anymore. It’s like going to an amusement park (in more ways then one). At least at my gym I won’t walk in anymore, maybe somehow Dana Point will escape this new system.
oh I see, I missed that part in your original post... it's like getting on the subway kinda deal...
Old 12-29-2006, 01:53 PM
luvmyride

Yes that is what it’s like - getting on a subway. So has the temperature at the 24 hour clubs gone way up? It’s like a sauna in there all the time now. Plus no one cleans off the equipment; it’s so disgusting and rude.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:24 PM
I shoot people

the 24HF I got to has a couple spots where it (literally) smell like a clothes hamper that hasn't been emptied in months... that... mildew like smell...
Old 12-29-2006, 04:15 PM
luvmyride

Yeah so does mine, but its a pretty old club however the other Sport gym I go to does have a weird smell also and its newer. We also had a guy that eveyone called "the milk man" b/c he would carry a gallon of milk when he would 'work out" He always wore the same thing and just stood around with his milk.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Synaesthesia sounds sweet

Employees who order a large pepperoni and sausage pizza and eat it at the counter. What a bunch of douche bags!!

Luckily it wasn't a legs day or I would have in the lobby on the way out. The smell of food after squats makes me nauseas.

Also, it's rude to the patrons who are trying to lose weight. They might as well put a snack machine in the locker rooms.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:06 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by Schizm
Employees who order a large pepperoni and sausage pizza and eat it at the counter. What a bunch of douche bags!!

Luckily it wasn't a legs day or I would have in the lobby on the way out. The smell of food after squats makes me nauseas.

Also, it's rude to the patrons who are trying to lose weight. They might as well put a snack machine in the locker rooms.

what's even worst is... I've seen employees... (usually not the trainers but the sales staff) in the parking lot smoking... yeah, that sets a great example...
Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
I always laugh when I see people smoking after a workout...
Old 02-02-2007, 03:39 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Its like pulling your lungs in 2 different directions. IMO its not that bad for a workout but bad after seeing people run a few miles and then settling down in the dorm and lighting a cig.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Advanced

I really hate it when I’m trying to leave a bathroom, room or elevator (already in the door way) and somebody from the other side rushes in and try to squeeze by me, like the freak’n room is going somewhere!!! I’m getting pissed off just by thinking about it!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 05:30 AM
Cosmic Cowboy

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
That's one of my favorites.
And what's up with these kids and AXE body spray before you work out

Better yet, what's up with AXE body spray period!!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:52 AM
In need of an AV.........

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by g1underground
That's one of my favorites.
And what's up with these kids and AXE body spray before you work out

Better yet, what's up with AXE body spray period!!!!

I did that once. Smoked after the gym and I about couchged up a lung. Glad I quit this time.

For Axe, I agree with the body spray. But I will say this, they have a body wash that is pretty good. It supposed to revitalize you, I do not know about that, but I like the smell.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:56 AM
In need of an AV.........

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are two people at my gym that get on my nerves.

the first one is a man probably in his 50's. I do not know what he does, but he works for the school system. He is flat out rude. If you say hi or anything, he just ignores you. The second thing he does is not close the second shower curtain when taking a shower. It is there so that no one has to see you drying off, USE IT!!!!!!! He always uses the stall when you first come in too, I think he wants people to see him.

The second one is this guy in his 20's. He is chubby, but has SOME bulk in his arms. He gets on the elliptical, only when this younger decent looking girl is on there and he goes at speed 100 for like 3 mins and gets off and lift weights. He never does anymore than that and only does it when she is there. We all call him the jack rabbitt. He looks gay as hell doing this. She makes fun of him all the time.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:24 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by JWhite1301
There are two people at my gym that get on my nerves.

the first one is a man probably in his 50's. I do not know what he does, but he works for the school system. He is flat out rude. If you say hi or anything, he just ignores you. The second thing he does is not close the second shower curtain when taking a shower. It is there so that no one has to see you drying off, USE IT!!!!!!! He always uses the stall when you first come in too, I think he wants people to see him.
that's just great, a guy that works in the school system and likes to be seen naked by other guys...
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (12-18-2013)
Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
I swear, I'm gonna plant a hidden camera in my fitness center to show you how this older man works out. It's hilarious. I have to force myself to not watch. Every machine he uses, every dumbell he picks up, his form is not even close to what he should be doing. Gosh, I wanna say something so badly, but I will just let him be and keep him thinking he's doing really well.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:03 AM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
I swear, I'm gonna plant a hidden camera in my fitness center to show you how this older man works out. It's hilarious. I have to force myself to not watch. Every machine he uses, every dumbell he picks up, his form is not even close to what he should be doing. Gosh, I wanna say something so badly, but I will just let him be and keep him thinking he's doing really well.
reminds me of this guy that i was spotting today on the bench.

he was doing 135, going down a quarter of the way, then on top of that started flopping around and squirming towards the ends of his sets...

i seriously wanted to say something but figured it's not my business.

i did save his ass though when he nearly dropped 125 on his neck trying to pop out one more rep that he obviously cannot do comfortably lol.

*note* i've never actually had to catch a weight before.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Racer

the 24HF I got to has a couple spots where it (literally) smell like a clothes hamper that hasn't been emptied in months... that... mildew like smell...
This post and the one above about id at the counter is also pissing me off as far as 24hr. Unfortunately, they are the lowest price gym right now around me (and in fact is now the closest gym). SO I'm stuck there for a bit.

One thing though also, for crying out loud...is it really that hard to share equipment? I mean come on, I jump in as you're doing a set, I won't sit there or anything...geez!

I miss Gold's Gym... (nearest one closed down).
Old 02-07-2007, 07:00 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by goddsmack
I miss Gold's Gym... .

the Gold's I practically grew up out of... catered, more or less, to the "blue collar" guys... we'd get in there, get our workouts done and got out... no fuckin' standing around talking/debating about politics, religion, or the stock market... occasionally sports... but we still got the workouts done w/o much yakin'
Old 02-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Just to add, at my school gym:

These two girls who come in maybe once a week, just at random times. They sit on the machines and do nothing but talk to each other. When I was working out one of them had the nerve to tell me to turn down my headphones because "she doesn't like music she can't hear clearly." I want nothing more than to tell them to get the fuck out of the gym...

Also just the random kids who come in once and work out for 10 minutes, not doing much of anything, and then leave acting like they accomplished something.

Mike

Quick Reply: People I hate at the gym