Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

P90x and P90x2

Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Erm....well, I just ordered it.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
Erm....well, I just ordered it.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

I'm excited.
Even though it won't be at the beginning of a week, I think I'm gonna start either tomorrow or Wednesday. It'll be arriving tomorrow afternoon.

EDIT:
Erm...well, now that I think about it, maybe not. I'm having to head down to Houston Thursday evening, so I might as well wait until the beginning of next week.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
So I just started day 1. Wow that just kicked my ass. But I did it
Me and the GF are in this thing together. We are going to see this process through as a team. I'm posting here for some motivation. Wish me luck guys.

My story:
Currently 6'2 225 29 y/0. I was a soccer and baseball player in highschool. I was lean and fit at about 180 lbs back then. No body fat. I could run 10 miles during mid season practices everyday no sweat. It all changed after college when I settled in with my early 20's gf and we both got fat. I also started I had stopped working out and got up to I think 235.

Broke up with her and went back down to 205 for a few years because being single gives you plenty of time to work out. But the weight crept back and I was in the 220's again. Met a super skinny fit chick we dated for three years and at the end of the relationship I was at 190!!! Woot. Never felt better. Still had a little bit of fat on me but overall looked good just not built, or ripped. Just thin. People told me "you look too skinny" I wasn't satisfied but all I really did was change my eating habits and joined a beer league softball team.

Two years ago I meet my current gf the love of my life btw. I was 190 lbs but in all of of 3 or 4 months I had gained like 20 pounds of "happy weight" they call it. She put on a little weight too because we stopped most physical activities and instead we just hung out with each other and ate. Once winter 08 hit I got up to 225 and there about and haven't been able to get the weight off since. She has also put on 10-15 lbs. This is what happens with lots of married couples after weddings I understand. Last summer we bought bikes but barely used them. So now it's p90x time.

I can tell this workout is going to work, you just have to do it, and stick with it.
My goal is to drop 30 lbs off my body. If it takes me 2 times through and 6 months so be it. I'm ready.
Will update in 30 days with the first round of pics...

Last edited by SlickShiftNall6; 02-23-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:01 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Did you start yesterday?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

UPS just delivered.

I was surprised at the amount of literature there is. Wish the DVD's were in an actual DVD type case, but that's more of a trivial complaint than anything. I'm excited though.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Team Owner

<--- Cleaning out my pantry/refrigerator per instructions

I don't know if I'm or
Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
<--- Cleaning out my pantry/refrigerator per instructions

I don't know if I'm or
You are happy. People look in my fridge and they are like WTFBBQ? There is almost nothing there? I look in and see only healthy goodness. Just not very much of it...
Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vas25tl
Did you start yesterday?
Actually no, work sent me out of town so im a few days late. Im taking the baseline measurements today and will actually be starting tonight. Im looking forward to the burn.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by stogie1020
You are happy. People look in my fridge and they are like WTFBBQ? There is almost nothing there? I look in and see only healthy goodness. Just not very much of it...
Yep, mine is starting to look like that now. Nothing but healthier foods and the ice maker is fully stocked for the power smoothies
Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Senior Moderator

My biggest problem right now is finding a place for the chinup bar. The 2 doorways that are large enough for it dont have any way of it attaching, the ones that do are too close to a wall and it wont mount correctly..
Old 02-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Team Owner

I think my biggest struggle with the program is going to be staying as strict as possible with the diet.
Not because I'll willingly cheat, but because a lot of the time I'm so busy in terms of not being around my apartment between school and other things, that I'm afraid I won't always have the time to prepare or eat the meals suggested.

If I could, I would eat the exact meal plan that they lay out in the booklet...it's just a matter of being able to prepare everything...maybe before hand.

My biggest problem right now is finding a place for the chinup bar. The 2 doorways that are large enough for it dont have any way of it attaching, the ones that do are too close to a wall and it wont mount correctly..
I thought I was going to have problems with that.
The only doorway I could use is almost out of sight from the TV (which hopefully won't be a huge deal) and it's a bathroom door, so I can't really leave if it up while company is over. Not a huge deal to take it off...just annoying.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Team Owner

I just caught your text.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

I think my biggest struggle with the program is going to be staying as strict as possible with the diet.
Not because I'll willingly cheat, but because a lot of the time I'm so busy in terms of not being around my apartment between school and other things, that I'm afraid I won't always have the time to prepare or eat the meals suggested.

If I could, I would eat the exact meal plan that they lay out in the booklet...it's just a matter of being able to prepare everything...maybe before hand.

I thought I was going to have problems with that.
The only doorway I could use is almost out of sight from the TV (which hopefully won't be a huge deal) and it's a bathroom door, so I can't really leave if it up while company is over. Not a huge deal to take it off...just annoying.
Thats my problem as well, i am on the road all day working, its hard to find decent meals sometimes.

Yea that is about the only real available door for me as well. Problem is for me im 6'5 and even with my knees bent they are almost touching the ground and it doesnt make for an ideal chinup. My basement wont allow for any better chinup. The only good place is my living room but i will have to make something to make it work
Old 02-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Team Owner

Thats my problem as well, i am on the road all day working, its hard to find decent meals sometimes.

Yea that is about the only real available door for me as well. Problem is for me im 6'5 and even with my knees bent they are almost touching the ground and it doesnt make for an ideal chinup. My basement wont allow for any better chinup. The only good place is my living room but i will have to make something to make it work
I sympathize.
I'm 6' 3".
Old 02-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use the bands for chin-ups and pull-ups. If you sit far enough back they can actually give you more resistance than an actual pull-up.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JahWobble
You can use the bands for chin-ups and pull-ups. If you sit far enough back they can actually give you more resistance than an actual pull-up.

How so?

EDIT: How do you do a band chin-up?

Last edited by TS_eXpeed; 02-24-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

There in lies the problem, i need something to attach it to on the vaulted ceiling. Which would require screwing something into the ceiling. Just like if i were able to find a way to attach the chinup bar to the door opening that is 8' it will most likely need to fasten something to the wall.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Not officially starting until this Sunday just so I can have a fresh calendar schedule, but I did the Ab Ripper X just now for 'fun'....

There was only 1 or 2 that I could do all 25 reps in. The rest I was just like . Felt good though. It was between 15-20 minutes but I felt like it was 10 at most. I guess it just keeps you engaged.

Only thing I'm a little worried about is the time bar on the bottom of the screen. I have a plasma, and I'm afraid with the longer "regular" workouts, it might be long enough to burn in the screen. I have my set programed to use it's burn-in protection which moves around the picture a few pixels every 60 seconds I think it is....still a little though.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:29 PM
The Box

Start off easy guys, if you are totally out of shape, it's going to hurt real bad if you try to keep up to them from the get go.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Only thing I'm a little worried about is the time bar on the bottom of the screen. I have a plasma, and I'm afraid with the longer "regular" workouts, it might be long enough to burn in the screen. I have my set programed to use it's burn-in protection which moves around the picture a few pixels every 60 seconds I think it is....still a little though.
I use my laptop for the Workout Vids and watch something on TV while I work out....

Start off easy guys, if you are totally out of shape, it's going to hurt real bad if you try to keep up to them from the get go.
I recommend going as hard as you can to start. You'll prob have to pause it in between reps and take breaks. But stay motivated and work hard, bust your ass if you want to see results...

Last edited by JahWobble; 02-24-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:50 PM

How so?

EDIT: How do you do a band chin-up?
If you have the P90X videos they show you how to. You basically put the bands on a hook on the wall or pull-up bar and pull the bands down towards you.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:53 PM
The Box

I recommend going as hard as you can to start. You'll prob have to pause it in between reps and take breaks. But stay motivated and work hard, bust your ass if you want to see results...
Not going to help you if you can't move after 2 days.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 AM

Not going to help you if you can't move after 2 days.
That just means it's working
Old 02-25-2010, 09:59 AM
The Box

That just means it's working
Yes, I agree with that.

I'm just speaking from personal experience. By day 3, I couldn't do more than 1 push up. I'll be jumping back on it soon but I will not be giving it 100% in the beginning due to the fact that it will keep you from getting anything accomplished a few days into it.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Team Owner

It probably also depends on the level of physical activity regularly done before starting the program.

I've been pushing pretty hard in the gym the past few months and so I've somewhat started to adapt. I'm not officially starting the program till Sunday, but I did the Ab Ripper X yesterday just for shits and giggles. Some of the sets were balls hard espcially once the reps starting getting up there. But today, the only place I'm really sore is in those muscles right around your waist around where your legs and torso bend.

If I hadn't been active at all before hand, I can only imagine even breathing would hurt right now. Lol.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok i'm convinced.

ordering from amazon.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
ok i'm convinced.

ordering from amazon.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:25 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've read and heard all sorts of reviews and endorsements. but at the end of the day, i seem to trust AZ members' advices.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 AM
on to the next one...

It probably also depends on the level of physical activity regularly done before starting the program.

I've been pushing pretty hard in the gym the past few months and so I've somewhat started to adapt. I'm not officially starting the program till Sunday, but I did the Ab Ripper X yesterday just for shits and giggles. Some of the sets were balls hard espcially once the reps starting getting up there. But today, the only place I'm really sore is in those muscles right around your waist around where your legs and torso bend.

If I hadn't been active at all before hand, I can only imagine even breathing would hurt right now. Lol.
If you've been sediment for the last 6 months, ease into it. But if you've been in the gym or have some basic physical conditioning under your belt, go balls to the wall. You can pace yourself while pushing your limits - you just have to find that balance. I pace myself the first round of each workout, but I literally go until I drop to the floor on my second round.

Ab ripper is almost impossible to do 100% of all the movements. I probably only do 80% of the 350 total movements and my results are still great.

Only 15 more days to go before I'm done with my second full round!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I may be embarking on this soon. I'll have to adjust my diet though which is likely the most difficult part of doing P90x. Two days ago, I had Wingstop and yesterday I had a deep fried PB&J with garlic fries. And I love beer. I don't know if I can give those up.... and I'm hoping to do P90x in one form or another for the rest of my life.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
i've read and heard all sorts of reviews and endorsements. but at the end of the day, i seem to trust AZ members' advices.
Even not having started yet, after reading most of the literature, I can tell it's a really good program.

It all really depends on how dedicated and strict you are though.
There is an extensive diet laid out for you by which you can follow. That in and of itself is going to be a challenge to stick to just since I'm always on the go, but I'm going to do my best. But if you're able to stay strict with the diet, and workout everyday you're supposed to, I have no doubt that anyone can get awesome results from it.

I feel like I sound like a spokesperson.....
Old 02-25-2010, 04:21 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
It seems like following the modified food intake suggestion in the program would allow you to feel better after a few weeks regardless of any exercise. Too bad I don't really want to give up what I enjoy. I don't eat junk food, keep processed food to the minimum, and no fast food, but I do enjoy my beer/wine/liquor, and I eat out quite a bit.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

The food part of this program is whats going to be the hardest for me i believe. I work away from home all day and usually rely on fast food and mom and pop diners to keep me fed during the day. That and sitting around home at night playing on zine with my snack in hand
Old 02-26-2010, 12:40 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I need some advice. We bought this program a while back, but haven't done anything with it, yet. I was planning on jumping into the program starting on Monday, but other factors have made that unlikely.

Since I have been pretty much a lazy a$$ for the longest time, I know that it will kill me if I jumped into the full program right away, anyway. So, there are two options I'm considering:

1. Start the first round, but take it really easy. Lower reps, less days per week, etc. This would just be a one month or so primer before really doing the program.

2. Just do minor activity increase throughout the day like walk the stairs at work, pushups and situps in the morning and evening and walk more.

Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by moeronn
I need some advice. We bought this program a while back, but haven't done anything with it, yet. I was planning on jumping into the program starting on Monday, but other factors have made that unlikely.

Since I have been pretty much a lazy a$$ for the longest time, I know that it will kill me if I jumped into the full program right away, anyway. So, there are two options I'm considering:

1. Start the first round, but take it really easy. Lower reps, less days per week, etc. This would just be a one month or so primer before really doing the program.

2. Just do minor activity increase throughout the day like walk the stairs at work, pushups and situps in the morning and evening and walk more.

Thoughts?
1) If you're not wanting to feel like you were beaten everywhere with a baseball bat, then I would take it easy like you said. Still of course put some effort into it, but ease into the program. Less reps, do the modified versions that are easier which they show on the videos, etc. If you're doing that, I don't see why you should cut out days from it. I guess it's a balance. If you want to do that for a month and then really push yourself once you start 'for real', I'd suggest putting a solid effort in now while not going balls to the wall in the efforts to start conditioning yourself to what you will be doing. I wouldn't say there's a wrong answer though. Just all depends what you're looking for, the results you want to end up with, etc.

2) Again, I'd say it depends on how much effort and drive you put into the workouts. If you're really taking it easy, I don't see why not. But again, if you're putting in a solid hard effort while not completely going nuts with it just so you can condition yourself before starting the 90 days, I wouldn't necessarily see why you would have to. It's all just up to how you're feeling and if you want to do the extra bit. If you're feeling like you want to put a little extra in, do a session every other day or every 3rd day of the Ab Ripper X but taking it easy. That'll definitely do more for you than just sit-ups.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:06 PM

I was thinking about that too.... the past few months I've been trying to get back in shape but have failed. My biceps no longer have any firmness if I don't flex them and I'm flabby all over. I decided I'm going to start modifying my diet slowly until I can get to the point where I'm eating better and I'm more in shape.

Planning to do a day trip up to Northstar this Sat. to go snowboarding, after that kicks my ass I'm going to do a few pushups and pullups and hope for the best when I finally do start it.

Probably helps to do it with others too.... that's what I'm planning to do.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:16 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Totally not related, but holy shit, Northstar is 84 dollars?

Snowboarding will be a good kickoff point - you will be sore everywhere but at the same time have that burn that feels good.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:43 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The main reason I won't be able to dive into it is that I need to finish working on my condo to get it ready to rent. That means that I need to dedicate as much time as I can to it and need to be able to have full use of my limbs to do so. I thought (i.e. was hoping) that it would be done by now, but things always take longer and there is always more to do than you think. Once the work is done, then I will do the program for real. I just want to start with some activity to lessen the beating my body will take when on the program.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by subinf
Totally not related, but holy shit, Northstar is 84 dollars?

Snowboarding will be a good kickoff point - you will be sore everywhere but at the same time have that burn that feels good.
We got a sweet deal, buy one get one free

Yeah, I was thinking hypothetically, if I could go snowboarding every week or more often, likeif I lived closer or something.... I would be pretty fit. Your whole damn body aches all over whether you're in shape or not. Well, my idea of "in-shape" probably differs from some of you guys, but still.

Quick Reply: P90x and P90x2