Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Migraine sufferers...

Old 02-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Migraine sufferers...

...check in here. Let's post up our experiences, coping mechanisms, experiences, medications that work, etc.

My history - had my first migraine in 1997 when I was dehydrated moving into our new apartment in the summer in Phoenix. Since then, I've had them fairly regularly (average of 1/month). I'm under the care of a neurologist and used Relpax for a number of years, now using Axert (for insurance reasons). Both medications do a reasonably good job of reducing the pain, but the after effects still linger.

Triggers for me - various. Too little water or food one time, absolutely no identifiable trigger the next. Nothing predictable for me, I'm afraid.

Warning signs - I get the "flashing lights", usually in my right eye. Once that starts, I know to take my medication, sometimes with a "chaser" of two Aleve to combine with the Axert/Relpax, and a Dr. Pepper to try to reduce the vascular openings.

Length of initial headache - usually an hour or two. But I get lots of "aftershock" headaches (smaller and shorter) for the next 24-36 hours.

Nausea - not too much. I've had a couple that were so intense that I was sick to my stomach, but that's the exception rather than the rule for me.

After effects - lingering, smaller, headaches (noted above) and fatigue for about 24-36 hours.

Because I don't have any regular triggers, it's hard for me to both predict and prevent these things. Any ideas from others would be great.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:23 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
ugh...migraines.

mine started a few years ago...i think my trigger was withdrawal from medication i had been taking. thought it was caffeine intake, or food or fluid intake...they got so bad a few times all i wanted to do was sleep in a dark quiet room. mine usually happen in the fall for whatever reason. could be the change in seasons or fall allergies (though i dont' have any known fall allergies). i have a bad grass allergy in the late spring and early summer.

warning signs for me...i wake up with it. dull ache in my temples or the back of my head. this subsequently makes me VERY unmotivated to get my workouts in b/c i feel like shit mentally. i have an Rx for relpax but have only used it once. knocked me out. plus the cost was unreal. i usually pop Aleve which takes some of the edge off.

length: a few hours to all day

nausea: if bad, i get the sick yucky taste in my mouth, at which time all i want to do is sleep it off.

after effects: when its gone, its gone. though i am tired.

i workout/train 7 days a week for a minimum of an hour. sometimes it helps (if i get outside for a run or a ride) and other times, if its bad, exercise is no use. i just want to sleep it off and pretty much write my day off. thankfully most of the year i don't have any issues with my migraines except in the late summer and fall.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (02-05-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 01:48 PM

TLtrigirl - interesting. I'd never heard of seasonal migraines until you mentioned your experience, but it looks like it's not uncommon - http://www.migravent.com/blog/migrai...s-in-the-fall/
Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
i dont get migraines, but i do get headaches pretty often.

sometimes even taking a extra strength tylenol doesnt help.

i have noticed that ever since i got my new position at work a year ago that ive been having them alot more frequently.

maybe stress related?
The Dougler (02-05-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mizouse

i have noticed that ever since i got my new position at work a year ago that ive been having them alot more frequently.

maybe stress related?
Definitely sounds like stress headaches. Two solutions - 1) take more OTC painkillers; or 2), different job.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
well i was getting them periodically even before working. been getting them since i was a kid
Old 02-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

maybe stress related?
I get stress twichtes. really annoying when you go into a huge client meeting and your eye is bugging out, especially because it's not usually notiiceable but I feel like im' giving everyone the wink gun
Old 02-05-2012, 08:05 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

maybe stress related?
sounds like tension headaches due to stress. ever get neck and shoulder massages?? although a good massage therapist will actually work to get the muscle to release over just rubbing the crap out of you.

usually the overworked muscles in the neck from stress and tension can cause trigger points to become active and cause headaches in a variety of patterns (temples, through your head like pressure in your eye, a helmet effect from back to front, front of head, back of head....etc).

you may need to find a way to cope with your stress to alleviate the tension you are carrying in your body.
ttribe (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I first started getting migraines when I was about 20 years old. I was working in a photo lab, sitting at the printer, when I noticed I couldn't read or see the keys on the control panel. That was my first "aura" as it was so bad it almost totally blocked my vision. I kind of panicked thinking I was having a stroke! I've always wondered if the chemicals in the lab were the cause of my migraines.

I've had migraines ever since with about one or two a year. I'm lucky as my symptoms are usually pretty mild compared to many migraine sufferers - I'm out of commission for a day but can function the next. I've heard of some that get them on a daily basis. I have no idea how they survive!

Mine are pretty typical - starts with an aura then progresses to a headache then usually nausea. Fortunately, my headaches are usually not too bad but the nausea can be horrendous. I've had it so bad that I've had to lie on my back completely still and not move. ANY movement to the side would result in instant vomiting - usually dry vomiting as I'd run out of stomach contents to expel. Fortunately, my migraines have only been that severe a couple times.

I don't really know my triggers although looking into a bright light has caused a few over the years as it triggers an aura. I know if I get dehydrated or don't eat by skipping a meal, that can cause them too. I'm always drinking water throughout the day! I'd much rather go to the bathroom several extra times a day than risk a migraine! I use Excedrin Migraine but honestly, just going to sleep is the best treatment for me.
ttribe (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza17
I first started getting migraines when I was about 20 years old. I was working in a photo lab, sitting at the printer, when I noticed I couldn't read or see the keys on the control panel. That was my first "aura" as it was so bad it almost totally blocked my vision. I kind of panicked thinking I was having a stroke! I've always wondered if the chemicals in the lab were the cause of my migraines.

I've had migraines ever since with about one or two a year. I'm lucky as my symptoms are usually pretty mild compared to many migraine sufferers - I'm out of commission for a day but can function the next. I've heard of some that get them on a daily basis. I have no idea how they survive!

Mine are pretty typical - starts with an aura then progresses to a headache then usually nausea. Fortunately, my headaches are usually not too bad but the nausea can be horrendous. I've had it so bad that I've had to lie on my back completely still and not move. ANY movement to the side would result in instant vomiting - usually dry vomiting as I'd run out of stomach contents to expel. Fortunately, my migraines have only been that severe a couple times.

I don't really know my triggers although looking into a bright light has caused a few over the years as it triggers an aura. I know if I get dehydrated or don't eat by skipping a meal, that can cause them too. I'm always drinking water throughout the day! I'd much rather go to the bathroom several extra times a day than risk a migraine! I use Excedrin Migraine but honestly, just going to sleep is the best treatment for me.
Suggestion - you really might want to check into a prescription medication that you can take as soon as the aura begins; Relpax, Axert, Imitrex, etc. My experience is that the severity of the pain is what causes the nausea. By taking a powerful migraine med early you might be able to avoid the nausea altogether.
Yakuza17 (02-06-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
I don't know why the past week was such a bad one for migraines. I had 4 in 7 days, and they were barely responsive to my Relpax (which I generally don't know what I'd do without.)

Mine are a sequela to head trauma, though I didn't change over from one long chronic headache (over a year) to sporadic intense migraines until well after the fact. Apparently that's not uncommon.

They tie in with my visual dissonance, creating a nice little domino circle of misery. One flares up affecting the other, which keeps the other at a higher intensity, ad infinitum until I can somehow break the cycle. Motion and vibration trigger my visual dissonance, so I can no longer run, jump, do cartwheels, ride my bike on rough surfaces, etc. I am physically capable of doing those things, I just will suffer consequences for the next week or three. I've even learned to modulate how quickly I turn my head in reaction to sound. I live like an old lady in fear of breaking her hip or something. :/ Road biking seems to work out pretty well for me, surprisingly. Thank goodness. And yoga - nice and slow. It's been hard to relearn how to move (or how not to) - I'm an exuberant person.

I have to limit the number of surgeries I do in one day, too. My fine motor control is great for the first 2 or 3, then the intense concentration starts to wear on me, and I feel the migraine coming on. Really bad ones affect the brightness of my vision, in addition to the instability of it - the first time that happened was pretty scary - I was nearly blind for almost an hour. Thankfully it was on my own time. I never do more than 3 surgeries in a day now. It's just not worth the consequences.

I dread the spring. Last spring was horrible with all the thunderstorms. Even a week's course of pred and BID naratriptan for 3 days didn't break the cycle. I hope this year will be better.

More typically, Relpax helps me a great deal within 0.5-1.5 hours. It's expensive, but worker's comp covers it. At least they're doing that part right.
ttribe (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by wndrlst
I don't know why the past week was such a bad one for migraines. I had 4 in 7 days, and they were barely responsive to my Relpax (which I generally don't know what I'd do without.)

Mine are a sequela to head trauma, though I didn't change over from one long chronic headache (over a year) to sporadic intense migraines until well after the fact. Apparently that's not uncommon.

They tie in with my visual dissonance, creating a nice little domino circle of misery. One flares up affecting the other, which keeps the other at a higher intensity, ad infinitum until I can somehow break the cycle. Motion and vibration trigger my visual dissonance, so I can no longer run, jump, do cartwheels, ride my bike on rough surfaces, etc. I am physically capable of doing those things, I just will suffer consequences for the next week or three. I've even learned to modulate how quickly I turn my head in reaction to sound. I live like an old lady in fear of breaking her hip or something. :/ Road biking seems to work out pretty well for me, surprisingly. Thank goodness. And yoga - nice and slow. It's been hard to relearn how to move (or how not to) - I'm an exuberant person.

I have to limit the number of surgeries I do in one day, too. My fine motor control is great for the first 2 or 3, then the intense concentration starts to wear on me, and I feel the migraine coming on. Really bad ones affect the brightness of my vision, in addition to the instability of it - the first time that happened was pretty scary - I was nearly blind for almost an hour. Thankfully it was on my own time. I never do more than 3 surgeries in a day now. It's just not worth the consequences.

I dread the spring. Last spring was horrible with all the thunderstorms. Even a week's course of pred and BID naratriptan for 3 days didn't break the cycle. I hope this year will be better.

More typically, Relpax helps me a great deal within 0.5-1.5 hours. It's expensive, but worker's comp covers it. At least they're doing that part right.
Wow, it sounds like you have it pretty bad with the migraines. How long has this been going on for you?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Earth-bound misfit

They really ramped up a couple of years ago.

My neurologist and I had agreed to re-institute vestibular therapy to try to get me to a better place with motion and proprioception. (I had done several months' worth right after the head injury, but stopped when progress stopped.) I made more progress with my vestibular deficits, but challenging my brain so intensely didn't do me any favors with the headaches. I was having them before re-starting therapy, but they got really intense and frequent. When I stopped v.t. again, the migraines abated a bit.

Unfortunately, my neurologist has said no more v.t. If he says no, insurance won't cover it. And I really can't argue too much - my quality of life was pitiful while I was doing the v.t.

I've accepted that this is my new reality. I don't like it, but I've accepted it. He says the vestibular symptoms will continue to very slowly improve. It's been 6 years and I've definitely seen progress, so will just believe that it will continue. I just need to do what I can to manage the migraines. And I feel lucky that the Relpax usually works for me.

I'm also very lucky that, like you, I rarely experience nausea. Yay for that!
ttribe (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 10:35 AM

They really ramped up a couple of years ago.

My neurologist and I had agreed to re-institute vestibular therapy to try to get me to a better place with motion and proprioception. (I had done several months' worth right after the head injury, but stopped when progress stopped.) I made more progress with my vestibular deficits, but challenging my brain so intensely didn't do me any favors with the headaches. I was having them before re-starting therapy, but they got really intense and frequent. When I stopped v.t. again, the migraines abated a bit.

Unfortunately, my neurologist has said no more v.t. If he says no, insurance won't cover it. And I really can't argue too much - my quality of life was pitiful while I was doing the v.t.

I've accepted that this is my new reality. I don't like it, but I've accepted it. He says the vestibular symptoms will continue to very slowly improve. It's been 6 years and I've definitely seen progress, so will just believe that it will continue. I just need to do what I can to manage the migraines. And I feel lucky that the Relpax usually works for me.

I'm also very lucky that, like you, I rarely experience nausea. Yay for that!
I know I mentioned this in my opening post, but just to reiterate - I've found that taking two Aleve with my Relpax actually has an even better impact on the intensity of the migraine pain; my first time trying this was on recommendation of my neurologist. I'd highly suggest checking with your neurologist on this as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by ttribe:
paz840 (02-15-2012), wndrlst (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by ttribe
I know I mentioned this in my opening post, but just to reiterate - I've found that taking two Aleve with my Relpax actually has an even better impact on the intensity of the migraine pain; my first time trying this was on recommendation of my neurologist. I'd highly suggest checking with your neurologist on this as well.
Thanks, but unfortunately I took so many NSAID's during the first year after my injury that I have completely hypersensitized myself to them. I can't even use the topicals without severe GI consequences. :/

Sucks to not have them in my arsenal for a number of reasons!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 PM

Thanks, but unfortunately I took so many NSAID's during the first year after my injury that I have completely hypersensitized myself to them. I can't even use the topicals without severe GI consequences. :/

Sucks to not have them in my arsenal for a number of reasons!
Ugghhh. That's a serious bummer.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Earth-bound misfit

That it is! It's okay. I'm surrounded by opportunities to maintain perspective. Lots of people out there who are far worse off than I am...
ttribe (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
I used to have them all the time when I was a kid, and well into my teens. Most likely the result of a spinal tap done when I was young, according to my doctors.

Luckily they gradually started going away, and are rare nowadays. Feel bad for you guys that suffer with them regularly

The migraines I have now aren't as serious as the ones I used to have, but I've found Excedrin Migraine with Caffeine to work the best at getting rid of them (as well as headaches caused by hangovers )
Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Speaking of hangovers, does alcohol ever trigger them for you guys?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by Scottman111
Speaking of hangovers, does alcohol ever trigger them for you guys?
Funny you ask. Starting around Christmas 2010, even the smallest bit of alcohol would bring one on almost instantly (within 5 to 10 minutes). Apparently I'm just a sensitive creature these days.

I've been experimenting a bit, and these days if I'm in a pretty solid place with my vestibular stuff, I can have most of a beer. Wine and I still don't get along well, but I can do about half a glass of white. Forget red. I had a mimosa this weekend with only a very slight headache. If I'm already struggling, I stay far, far away from the stuff. I can't imagine getting drunk enough for a hangover!

Glad yours have gotten better!!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Nice to hear others' experiences...

I've had migraines for about 18-20 years. They started in high school and I started seeing a neurologist and taking medication for them in college. I have played around a lot over the years with different combinations of meds, doses, frequencies, etc. I currently take two Topamax (topiramate) a day and one Relpax at onset, sometimes followed by another depending on the severity. Relpax is a miracle drug for me, and luckily my wife is a pharmacist so I get it very cheap.

I have several triggers that I know of. Alcohol is the biggest one. Typically one drink of any kind will guarantee a migraine. Lack of sleep, stress, eye strain and allergies can also set them off.

I usually wake up with a migraine. Warning signs if any are dull throbbing pain in my temples. When they become intense, I'm incapable of doing anything other than curling up in a dark corner and riding it out. They can last several hours if untreated. Relpax usually does the trick in 30-45 minutes though.

I go through stretches where I won't have a migraine for 2-3 months and then a period where I'll have 2-3 a week for a month.

Nausea is not common, but I have gotten sick a few times from really bad migraines.

No major after effects, just fatigue.

I find that exercising regularly and avoiding stress/alcohol are the best preventative measures for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by paz840:
ttribe (02-15-2012), wndrlst (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by paz840
Nice to hear others' experiences...

I've had migraines for about 18-20 years. They started in high school and I started seeing a neurologist and taking medication for them in college. I have played around a lot over the years with different combinations of meds, doses, frequencies, etc. I currently take two Topamax (topiramate) a day and one Relpax at onset, sometimes followed by another depending on the severity. Relpax is a miracle drug for me, and luckily my wife is a pharmacist so I get it very cheap.

I have several triggers that I know of. Alcohol is the biggest one. Typically one drink of any kind will guarantee a migraine. Lack of sleep, stress, eye strain and allergies can also set them off.

I usually wake up with a migraine. Warning signs if any are dull throbbing pain in my temples. When they become intense, I'm incapable of doing anything other than curling up in a dark corner and riding it out. They can last several hours if untreated. Relpax usually does the trick in 30-45 minutes though.

I go through stretches where I won't have a migraine for 2-3 months and then a period where I'll have 2-3 a week for a month.

Nausea is not common, but I have gotten sick a few times from really bad migraines.

No major after effects, just fatigue.

I find that exercising regularly and avoiding stress/alcohol are the best preventative measures for me.
Yes to all of that. I know I had mentioned the alcohol already, but all the others apply to me, too. When I first started my photography business, sitting in front of the computer editing images for hours was a certain trigger. I seem to have acclimated to it somewhat, though I still have to be a bit careful.

Before I revisited my neurologist and got Relpax, they'd last for 2 to 3 days sometimes. I hate putting all that stuff in my body, but it really has made a huge difference in my quality of life. I've been incredibly resistant to taking anything daily, though I know it may eventually come to that.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:55 PM

I've been incredibly resistant to taking anything daily, though I know it may eventually come to that.
Same. I hope things don't worsen for me (down the line) to the point that I need a daily preventative med.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I have family members that deal with migraines daily.. this is what works. Poor liver.

1. Tylenol 3 (where avail)
2. Excederin Extra Strength
Old 03-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I get them from certain smells/odors. I havent been able to narrow it down to a specific scent but its usually candles. I try to avoid those sections of stores. There are no warning signs, they just hit me. Ill usually drink a coke with lime in it and lay down for a while to make it go away.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
it's 2:30, and i don't have the energy to go into full detail about everything, maybe i'll comment back later with a full comment on shit. anyway, they started when i was in something like 3rd grade. had mri's and the whole spiel, they told me nothing can be done and to just deal with them. i've had them periodically since then. in the past year or so they have gotten worse and worse. i have it nearly every day for atleast a few hours. some days are worse than others. i've taken all the medications as well as OTC's, and i can honestly say the only thing that helps is advil liquigels. i take 4(800mg) at a time. vicodin doesn't even help. excedrin migrain, shit like that, no effect. advil doesn't make them go away fully, but it does take most of the edge off. caffeine also helps me, i go through a lot of monster, and i don't sleep much. i've gone without the monster for months, and it was worse, so monster just helps, despite how bad it is for you. i've taken up to 16 liquigels in a day(trust me i know how bad it is, but sometimes i gotta). i also get 2 different kinds. i have my daily migraines, which usually seem to originate around my temple and stay on either the left or right side, usually the left. if im having a bad migraine, it seems to come from the back of my head, like brainstem area and just travels up, those are crippling, but i've grown used to them. i also have tinnilingus or whatever its called, theres always a high pitched tone in my ears, the weirdest part is that i hear it more when i block the ear off. like if i lay down on a pillow. idk, its weird, shit happens. im 18, and i refuse to let it hold me back, though i can say, it has helped me do dumb shit... i never drank often, but when i did, my tolerance was very high(i could still walk after 2 litres of vodka) but i wouldn't remember it. i blacked out very easily, but was still smart i guess? never had a hangover, actually when i drank, the next morning i could bet that i wouldn't have a headache. its like reverse for me. but i stopped drinking nearly a year ago(it'll be a year in may) and i don't regret it, i've made dumb decisions from alcohol and lost some people like that, but anyway yea. idk what the point of this post is/was, but i decided to make it. maybe i'll come back in a better state of mind and rewrite/add to it
ttribe (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM

So, first thing this morning, as I'm getting out of the shower I realize I'm starting to see spots - migraine coming! The thing is, there was no good reason.

- Blood sugar not low? Check

- Not dehydrated? Check

- Not sleep deprived? Check

- Not especially stressed out? Check

- Hadn't just looked at a bright light? Check

No identifiable trigger. Just hit me. What a way to start a day.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

you wanna talk migraine...how about the one you get with shingles??

OMG, its the never ending migraine, can't sleep, can't lay down, can't function....add the rash and the fun is just beginning. the dull ache worsens with bright light. that wretched little chicken pox virus...resurrects itself and pretty much kicks your ass and renders you useless for a week. i've never had so much head pain... it pretty much sucks.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by PyroDave
it's 2:30, and i don't have the energy to go into full detail about everything, maybe i'll comment back later with a full comment on shit. anyway, they started when i was in something like 3rd grade. had mri's and the whole spiel, they told me nothing can be done and to just deal with them. i've had them periodically since then. in the past year or so they have gotten worse and worse. i have it nearly every day for atleast a few hours. some days are worse than others. i've taken all the medications as well as OTC's, and i can honestly say the only thing that helps is advil liquigels. i take 4(800mg) at a time. vicodin doesn't even help. excedrin migrain, shit like that, no effect. advil doesn't make them go away fully, but it does take most of the edge off. caffeine also helps me, i go through a lot of monster, and i don't sleep much. i've gone without the monster for months, and it was worse, so monster just helps, despite how bad it is for you. i've taken up to 16 liquigels in a day(trust me i know how bad it is, but sometimes i gotta). i also get 2 different kinds. i have my daily migraines, which usually seem to originate around my temple and stay on either the left or right side, usually the left. if im having a bad migraine, it seems to come from the back of my head, like brainstem area and just travels up, those are crippling, but i've grown used to them. i also have tinnilingus or whatever its called, theres always a high pitched tone in my ears, the weirdest part is that i hear it more when i block the ear off. like if i lay down on a pillow. idk, its weird, shit happens. im 18, and i refuse to let it hold me back, though i can say, it has helped me do dumb shit... i never drank often, but when i did, my tolerance was very high(i could still walk after 2 litres of vodka) but i wouldn't remember it. i blacked out very easily, but was still smart i guess? never had a hangover, actually when i drank, the next morning i could bet that i wouldn't have a headache. its like reverse for me. but i stopped drinking nearly a year ago(it'll be a year in may) and i don't regret it, i've made dumb decisions from alcohol and lost some people like that, but anyway yea. idk what the point of this post is/was, but i decided to make it. maybe i'll come back in a better state of mind and rewrite/add to it
This sounds awful. Have you tried any of the prescription medications such as Immitrex, Relpax or Maxalt? Replax and Maxalt have done wonders for me.

BTW, combining migraines with Tinnitus has got be a very difficult situation. Hang in there.

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
you wanna talk migraine...how about the one you get with shingles??

OMG, its the never ending migraine, can't sleep, can't lay down, can't function....add the rash and the fun is just beginning. the dull ache worsens with bright light. that wretched little chicken pox virus...resurrects itself and pretty much kicks your ass and renders you useless for a week. i've never had so much head pain... it pretty much sucks.
No.Fun.At.All. Sorry to hear about this.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:28 PM

Another one Thursday night, with a nasty "after-shock" today. The past few weeks have not been kind to me.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

after my 4 1/2 day migraine that wouldn't die....day 4 my head felt like it was going to explode or my brain was going to ooze out of all the orifices in my head...multiply by 100 over the regular migraine with shingles. started taking gabapentin (neurontin-brand name)...wow, what a difference.

ttribe...hang in there. might it be the change in season?? not that you have much of a change in AZ.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:46 PM

after my 4 1/2 day migraine that wouldn't die....day 4 my head felt like it was going to explode or my brain was going to ooze out of all the orifices in my head...multiply by 100 over the regular migraine with shingles. started taking gabapentin (neurontin-brand name)...wow, what a difference.
Glad to hear something's helping.

ttribe...hang in there. might it be the change in season?? not that you have much of a change in AZ.
Probably has more to do with the 60 hour work weeks and family difficulties I'm dealing with right now. Stress is definitely a trigger for me.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

eek. hope things settle down for you.

the headache comes and goes like it wants to be a migraine. started having some achiness this morning, then it settled. i went for a 2 hour run and is was fine afterwards. now i just have the itching, the numbness and occasional shooting zingers (its fascinating and annoying all at the same time) to the area of where the rash was (which was around and in my Lt. eye (what can i say i'm an overachiever) and forehead).
ttribe (04-08-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Yesterday/today's is a doozie.. Ouch!

Do any of you find that you fight with your spouses more when you have them? It's so stupid...I know my sense of humor suffers when someone is squeezing my head in a vise. I acknowledge that, and claim full responsibility. But is it unreasonable to ask for any intense topics to be tabled until the pain and fog clear? Otherwise I'm just going to dig deeper holes in my quest for silence and a dark cave. My husband is usually a pretty sympathetic person, but I feel there's a disconnect here with what the experience of a migraine actually is, and what level I am or am not capable of communicating on when I'm in the worst of them. Anyone else? Any good strategies for navigating?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:20 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Yesterday/today's is a doozie.. Ouch!

Do any of you find that you fight with your spouses more when you have them? It's so stupid...I know my sense of humor suffers when someone is squeezing my head in a vise. I acknowledge that, and claim full responsibility. But is it unreasonable to ask for any intense topics to be tabled until the pain and fog clear? Otherwise I'm just going to dig deeper holes in my quest for silence and a dark cave. My husband is usually a pretty sympathetic person, but I feel there's a disconnect here with what the experience of a migraine actually is, and what level I am or am not capable of communicating on when I'm in the worst of them. Anyone else? Any good strategies for navigating?
hmmm...i think you may have to speak with the hubby about talking about the "intense topics" be curbed for a later time. sometimes, it's hard for people to understand what a migraine can do to someone esp if they have never had one. if he was as sympathetic as you say he is then he should find a better time to disccus whatever needs to be discussed. he should really just leave you be or ask how you are doing or need anything. that is typically what my other half does. vice versa when he's not feeling well. i know when i was sick and had the migraine on top of that...he left me alone or he would hang out and we'd talk about random stuff. granted we dont' have too many "intense topics". if there are any...he just waits for a better time. perhaps when you get the migraines and need to go to the cave...literally go to the cave and close the door.
ttribe (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Thanks, trigirl.

Now that I'm feeling a bit better and can better gather and articulate my thoughts, I explained how very difficult it is to communicate well when I'm in that place. I told him I need a safe word to indicate it's time to table all conversation. He laughed and said we'll make it "sparkle." So it's all good, I think, just very frustrating to already be struggling physically, and then to feel I have to defend or explain myself because I've managed to hurt his feelings somehow. I just didn't have it in me.

I think your suggestion is spot on, and just what I did. I went to bed.

And yes, he usually does ask if I need anything, bring me a cold compress, etc. With all the health fallout from my head injury that he has to deal with on a pretty regular basis, I imagine he experiences a little compassion fatigue from time to time. Sometimes I don't think I'd want to live with me if I had a choice.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Thanks, trigirl.

Now that I'm feeling a bit better and can better gather and articulate my thoughts, I explained how very difficult it is to communicate well when I'm in that place. I told him I need a safe word to indicate it's time to table all conversation. He laughed and said we'll make it "sparkle." So it's all good, I think, just very frustrating to already be struggling physically, and then to feel I have to defend or explain myself because I've managed to hurt his feelings somehow. I just didn't have it in me.

I think your suggestion is spot on, and just what I did. I went to bed.

And yes, he usually does ask if I need anything, bring me a cold compress, etc. With all the health fallout from my head injury that he has to deal with on a pretty regular basis, I imagine he experiences a little compassion fatigue from time to time. Sometimes I don't think I'd want to live with me if I had a choice.
compassion fatigue...is a good way to put it. at least he's a good sport about it. with any type of head injury, it's time and healing. stimulate the things that need to be worked on (vestibular) and keep stimulating the other systems. sometimes desensitizing to certain things is warranted as well if possible.

you've learned to accept your condition, just try not to let it control you or dictate who you are!!
wndrlst (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Earth-bound misfit

You sound like you have some experience in this realm.

I try to challenge myself as much as I can without tipping over into decompensation. I mis-gauge sometimes, and it can be frustrating, but I'd rather over-challenge than under, for the most part. I learn my limits better that way. I see more progress when I keep at it, as you say, by stimulating things. But...that also means more headaches.

And yes, he's a great sport. I really do feel like the extra friction is my fault.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM

hmmm...i think you may have to speak with the hubby about talking about the "intense topics" be curbed for a later time. sometimes, it's hard for people to understand what a migraine can do to someone esp if they have never had one. if he was as sympathetic as you say he is then he should find a better time to disccus whatever needs to be discussed. he should really just leave you be or ask how you are doing or need anything. that is typically what my other half does. vice versa when he's not feeling well. i know when i was sick and had the migraine on top of that...he left me alone or he would hang out and we'd talk about random stuff. granted we dont' have too many "intense topics". if there are any...he just waits for a better time. perhaps when you get the migraines and need to go to the cave...literally go to the cave and close the door.
This last bit is what I have to do. I certainly become more irritable, but my wife is very compassionate and patient. She generally doesn't approach me with anything "intense," unless it's an emergency, when I'm in the middle of a migraine. I usually just try to retreat...perhaps sleep some while the medication does its thing.

Last edited by ttribe; 04-25-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

You sound like you have some experience in this realm.

I try to challenge myself as much as I can without tipping over into decompensation. I mis-gauge sometimes, and it can be frustrating, but I'd rather over-challenge than under, for the most part. I learn my limits better that way. I see more progress when I keep at it, as you say, by stimulating things. But...that also means more headaches.

And yes, he's a great sport. I really do feel like the extra friction is my fault.

you shouldn't. it's not like you can exactly control when the migraines may come on (to a certain extent yes, but...the body is a dynamic thing). at least he is understanding. i'm sure he doesn't like to see you suffer esp when there isn't a whole lot he can do to help except to be there.

Quick Reply: Migraine sufferers...