Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

The ESSENTIALS of losing fat and gaining muscle - YOUR DIET

Old 05-02-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
kinda does look like doom
Old 05-02-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
I want to get lean for the bitches.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo
Bulk season
im forever on bulk season
Old 05-02-2018, 02:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
so change your food!
The following users liked this post:
#1 STUNNA (05-04-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 986 Likes on 744 Posts
Whats the best way to get started in a routine? I've tried it multiple times but have yet to continue the trend. I know dedication is key but what makes it "fun" to get back into working out. What did you do when you first started?
Old 05-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

After my last break up, I was running and lifting 4-5 times a week for about 3-4 months then it slowly faded. Maybe I need to kick my girl to the curb and repeat every 4 months...
Old 05-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Team Owner

I'm lucky in that I had/have a gym partner, who also just so happens to live with me

I started going with with one of my basement tenants, for like 4-5 months. Then he got a girlfriend and stopped going but I continued on my own for a couple months. Then I got a roommate living with me upstairs- I've convinced him to sign up at my gym, so I'm partnered up again. A good workout partner is hard to find though. I got lucky twice. You keep each other accountable, or suffer being mercilessly called a bitchass if you don't go.

Seeing as that isn't an option for most, you just have to make it fun and not too demanding. Start slow and easy. 3 days a week. You're not gonna get huge right away even if you went 7 days a week. Just relax, enjoy the adult playground that the gym is and start also focusing on your food.

From there, after about 3-4 weeks, I'd bump it up to 4 days a week... then eventually 5. Also start zeroing more on your food and what you actually want to achieve (just get stronger, get leaner, get bigger, whatever- it all comes down to diet).

People tend to fail if they just go balls to the wall right from day 1. It's a drastic change to the everyday and causes people to burn out quick. I think it's better to make slow, progressive changes. It's supposed to be a lifestyle change, not a two month pumping iron frenzy. Other than that, you just have to convince yourself that it's fun and better than sitting on the couch doing nothing. I bring wireless headphones and use Spotify at the gym- I get to blast some really good music and find new artists from the playlists that Spotify puts together for me. I don't get to listen to music as much as I'd like, so that 90 minutes at the gym is pure euphoria.

Also... the eye candy walking around... shiiiiiet. Keeps a guy motivated

Last edited by TacoBello; 05-02-2018 at 02:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
#1 STUNNA (05-04-2018), Doom878 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 03:05 PM

On a serious note the reason why I started was due to family history.

my family is known for heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure & diabeetus.

Also losing my dad to colon cancer was a factor for me to lose weight and be more active.

believe it or not I used to weigh close to 300lbs and was terribly out of shape. I would get winded or cramp up on simple tasks.
In high school I was in pretty good shape having been on the swim team for a couple years.
i gained all the weight from college and probably from losing my dad.

My last year of college with so-so dieting and exercise I was able to get down to 240ish from close to 300.

then with proper diet and exercise (mainly cardio and portion control) I was able to get down to 170lbs from 240.

That said I've gained back a lot of weight. I'm bordering on 200lbs.

i would hope a good portion of it is muscle since I'm doing a lot of powerlifting. But there's definitely a lot of fat, especially in the midsection.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mizouse:
Doom878 (05-03-2018), SamDoe1 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Team Owner

PM me nudes of yourself. Need to inspect for progress.

Cant believe you shed almost 130# at one point. That's nuts.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello
so change your food!
i cant help it!

i eat because I'm stressing that I'm getting fatter which causes me to get fatter and eat more and get stressed some more!

Old 05-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Team Owner

Liposuction?

Old 05-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Team Owner

Fuck the weight numbers... go by how you feel... and if you feel like a fat bastard, do something about it!! Put the fucking spoon of peanut butter down!! Drop the fucking mcflurry!!!
Old 05-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Safety Car

Good for you Miz! Thats an amazing accomplishment to lose so much weight. I hover around 200 myself but being 6'4" I don't think it's too bad, yet. My belt is getting a little tighter than I'd like it. Winter's are always hard here to stay active with it being balls cold out all the time. During the summer I am always outside doing something to keep my heart rate up. I'll be spending some time in my kayak, on my bike and even hiking some state parks this year. At least that is the plan!
Old 05-02-2018, 03:21 PM
Safety Car

What sucks the most is that junk food is cheap and the healthy stuff is expensive. Makes you spend all your fun money on food.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
I want to get lean for the bitches.

Honesty.. my ninja.
Mizouse (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by BreezyTL
What sucks the most is that junk food is cheap and the healthy stuff is expensive. Makes you spend all your fun money on food.
You can just stop eating
Old 05-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

What's worse is eating out and eating healthy are generally not two terms you can place together
Old 05-02-2018, 03:26 PM
Safety Car

What's worse is eating out and eating healthy are generally not two terms you can place together
Only with a female....
Old 05-03-2018, 08:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
I'm lucky in that I had/have a gym partner, who also just so happens to live with me

I started going with with one of my basement tenants, for like 4-5 months. Then he got a girlfriend and stopped going but I continued on my own for a couple months. Then I got a roommate living with me upstairs- I've convinced him to sign up at my gym, so I'm partnered up again. A good workout partner is hard to find though. I got lucky twice. You keep each other accountable, or suffer being mercilessly called a bitchass if you don't go.

Seeing as that isn't an option for most, you just have to make it fun and not too demanding. Start slow and easy. 3 days a week. You're not gonna get huge right away even if you went 7 days a week. Just relax, enjoy the adult playground that the gym is and start also focusing on your food.

From there, after about 3-4 weeks, I'd bump it up to 4 days a week... then eventually 5. Also start zeroing more on your food and what you actually want to achieve (just get stronger, get leaner, get bigger, whatever- it all comes down to diet).

People tend to fail if they just go balls to the wall right from day 1. It's a drastic change to the everyday and causes people to burn out quick. I think it's better to make slow, progressive changes. It's supposed to be a lifestyle change, not a two month pumping iron frenzy. Other than that, you just have to convince yourself that it's fun and better than sitting on the couch doing nothing. I bring wireless headphones and use Spotify at the gym- I get to blast some really good music and find new artists from the playlists that Spotify puts together for me. I don't get to listen to music as much as I'd like, so that 90 minutes at the gym is pure euphoria.

Also... the eye candy walking around... shiiiiiet. Keeps a guy motivated

Good stuff man. I befriended a good amount of people at my gym too because we all go around the same time. A lot of it has to do with sharing equipment and striking up a conversation. It's VERY helpful because you can work in with them on those really busy days and it makes the time fly. Makes me look forward to going to the gym on those days I'm blah.

I've done the gym thing for years off and on and have dealt with multiple partners who eventually faded. Stuff that keeps me going:

- Start off 3x a week and don't kill yourself that you won't go back
- Music def a plus and use your phone as a timer between sets so that you don't lose track of time and can be in and out
- If your form is fucked up, it will hurt or no gains, and then you won't want to go. Use YouTube and Google or ask here
- I ended up getting hooked to some YouTube guys that are entertaining and informative which adds to the motivation. They're not idiot bros. They've helped my form, routines, and diet. Some are just plain funny. Be careful with roided up dudes who swear their natty and overload you with a bunch of isolation exercises that get them big since drugs. You won't look like them!!!
- Stick with a program. Good chance you see gains if done right.

my family is known for heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure & diabeetus.

Also losing my dad to colon cancer was a factor for me to lose weight and be more active.

believe it or not I used to weigh close to 300lbs and was terribly out of shape. I would get winded or cramp up on simple tasks.
In high school I was in pretty good shape having been on the swim team for a couple years.

My last year of college with so-so dieting and exercise I was able to get down to 240ish from close to 300.

then with proper diet and exercise (mainly cardio and portion control) I was able to get down to 170lbs from 240.

i would hope a good portion of it is muscle since I'm doing a lot of powerlifting. But there's definitely a lot of fat, especially in the midsection.

​​​​​​​Wow didn't know the whole story. Good job bro
Old 05-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,810 Likes on 3,840 Posts
Whats the best way to get started in a routine? I've tried it multiple times but have yet to continue the trend. I know dedication is key but what makes it "fun" to get back into working out. What did you do when you first started?
To be honest, I didn't get serious about working out until I started Crossfit. Having a room full of people yelling at (or enthusiastically encouraging lol) you is pretty good motivation to keep going hard. Also, having that support structure and making friends is good reason to keep going back. This doesn't mean to say that you need to do CF, my wife does Orange Theory and it's the same thing. These things are more expensive but if you can swing the cost, they are worth it over a normal gym.

One other thing, set a goal for yourself and find some metric of tracking progress to your goals. Nothing motivates more than results. There are plenty of apps that will track lift weights and such and a bathroom scale will track your weight easily.

This is awesome dude, good job and keep it up.

On another positive note, I'm down to 172 even in the middle of week 2. I may have to adjust my goal if I hit it quicker than expected...
Old 05-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

Never understood the whole crossfit craze. Looks like an injury in the making...
Old 05-03-2018, 11:42 AM
Ex-OEM King

Never understood the whole crossfit craze. Looks like an injury in the making...
That's a common misconception. You will absolutely injure yourself if you end up going too high in the weight or having bad form but that's the case with anything. In my 2 years of doing CF, the only injury I've had was torn calluses on my hands. If you're ever in the MSP area, I'd be glad to take you with me to a class.
BreezyTL (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:25 PM

injuries really depend on the trainers and the gym.

crossfit gets a bad rap due to the numerous shitty trainers and gyms out there.

injuries really only happen with bad form, ego lifting and show boating

that said crossfit aint for me. I prefer to lift heavy shit.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:38 PM
Team Owner

I can't justify the price of CF as it hits $200/mo in some areas vs $30/mo for a commercial gym. I get that they "push and motivate" you and many people need that. I used to do CF for free in my backyard by pulling the workout from the official site and scaling to my ability.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Ex-OEM King

injuries really depend on the trainers and the gym.

crossfit gets a bad rap due to the numerous shitty trainers and gyms out there.

injuries really only happen with bad form, ego lifting and show boating

that said crossfit aint for me. I prefer to lift heavy shit.
You know that half of CF is strength lifting right? I did shoulder press and split jerk complex yesterday before doing the WOD.

Originally Posted by Doom878
I can't justify the price of CF as it hits $200/mo in some areas vs $30/mo for a commercial gym. I get that they "push and motivate" you and many people need that. I used to do CF for free in my backyard by pulling the workout from the official site and scaling to my ability.
Totally fair to do that. I do need the push and motivation so it's worth it to me. I pay $135/mo for mine...so not nearly that bad.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
You know that half of CF is strength lifting right? I did shoulder press and split jerk complex yesterday before doing the WOD.
He just wants to bench bro. I don't know of any CF gyms that bench. Usually for upper body heavy lifts they do OHP, C&J, etc.
Mizouse (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 02:51 PM

He just wants to bench bro. I don't know of any CF gyms that bench. Usually for upper body heavy lifts they do OHP, C&J, etc.
This.

I mainly do the big 3 compound lifts.
Back squat
Bench press
Deadlift

Old 05-03-2018, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

- If your form is fucked up, it will hurt or no gains, and then you won't want to go. Use YouTube and Google or ask here
This 100%. Every time I walk through the front entrance of my gym, I tell myself "check your ego at the door". Every day I'm there, I see guys trying to lift way beyond their realistic abilities, causing terrible form and as a result, activating 10 other muscles than the ones actually intended to be activated. Bros with twig arms, trying to curl 45 pound dumbbells, and are doing half the curl with their back Don't get me wrong- they still need to push themselves- but they need to do it with proper form and proper timing to make it worth the effort.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:18 PM
Safety Car

Hows my form bro?
Old 05-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Team Owner

There are a couple Asian guys at my gym who workout like that seriously, they try to do reps as fast as they can... Fucking mind boggling.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:02 PM

Maybe they're trying to do cardio weightlifting?
Old 05-04-2018, 07:17 AM
Team Owner

This 100%. Every time I walk through the front entrance of my gym, I tell myself "check your ego at the door". Every day I'm there, I see guys trying to lift way beyond their realistic abilities, causing terrible form and as a result, activating 10 other muscles than the ones actually intended to be activated. Bros with twig arms, trying to curl 45 pound dumbbells, and are doing half the curl with their back Don't get me wrong- they still need to push themselves- but they need to do it with proper form and proper timing to make it worth the effort.
There's this one guy at my gym and I wish he was an asshole but he's actually nice. He has like a 1 inch range of motion (ROM) on his bench and military press. He holds it as wide as possible almost touching the ends. Meanwhile he's like 5'8 so you can imagine how weird that looks. He'll throw on like 315+ on bench and 235 on military and just 1 inch it. Not really big and usually guys putting up that weight are much bigger up top. Pretty sure that short ROM is only growing his ego vs his muscles. Best part is that on one hand he uses a paper towel I guess for traction I don't know. But I repeat only one ONE hand. And when he racks it since he holds it so wide, he has to rack it back on the lower rack. Then he gets up and has to transfer it to the top rack where the normal people rack it. Like I said nice guy but he does have kind of a "I'm a tough guy" face.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:22 AM
Team Owner

This.

I mainly do the big 3 compound lifts.
Back squat
Bench press
Deadlift

And yeah this. I'm fucking addicted to these lifts. If you lack overall size in the sense that you want to get thicker this is the way to go. The problem I have with it though is it gets me so hungry and I've put on fat. I do cardio to keep up my cardiovascular health and athleticism but it's difficult too because you're so sore from these lifts. I could cycle off of them for a couple of months but I'm hooked. I just want to see how heavy I can go (EGO)
Mizouse (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 09:33 AM
Team Owner

I need to figure something out for back squat. I agree.. it is super awesome.

My issue is I've had countless shoulder dislocations over a 4-5 year period, and as such, I for some reason have lost a ton of mobility in my shoulders. Stretching just doesn't do anything other than cause pain. That results in me not being able to hold a bar behind my neck, with my arms. I just can't do it. My shoulders won't rotate that far back for me to hold a bar behind my head.

I've tried using a V-squat machine, but, being 6'7", it was never designed for someone my height. I can only do so much weight on it before it feels terrible. I've resorted to doing leg press, first with my feet higher on the push pad to focus on quads, and then again with my feet lower, to push the quads. It isn't as effective as squatting though.

Feels good to be able to stack 5 plates on each side of the leg press machine, though Well.. until I saw a guy maxing out the machine with 8 plates per side
Old 05-04-2018, 09:56 AM

Lol. The leg press, one of the biggest ego lifting machines out there.

That said yea when I do it I'm doing 5 plates for 8-10 reps
Old 05-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Team Owner

feels good, don't it? I know 5 plates isn't a ton by any stretch... it just seems like it
Mizouse (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
cue majofo's lower bar placement spiel
Mizouse (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:57 AM
Ex-OEM King

Yeah, there isn't much for bench going on at CF. If you want chest work, it's mostly around volume push ups and ring dips that will wreck your chest muscles in short order. OHP, C&J, and snatch are all really good complex functional movements that work a number of muscle groups in one well coordinated motion. Bench is programmed into our optional strength training routine though.

There are a couple Asian guys at my gym who workout like that seriously, they try to do reps as fast as they can... Fucking mind boggling.
FWIW, doing reps as fast as possible at a light weight does have it's benefits but getting bigger/stronger is definitely not that benefit lol.

My issue is I've had countless shoulder dislocations over a 4-5 year period, and as such, I for some reason have lost a ton of mobility in my shoulders. Stretching just doesn't do anything other than cause pain. That results in me not being able to hold a bar behind my neck, with my arms. I just can't do it. My shoulders won't rotate that far back for me to hold a bar behind my head.

I've tried using a V-squat machine, but, being 6'7", it was never designed for someone my height. I can only do so much weight on it before it feels terrible. I've resorted to doing leg press, first with my feet higher on the push pad to focus on quads, and then again with my feet lower, to push the quads. It isn't as effective as squatting though.

Feels good to be able to stack 5 plates on each side of the leg press machine, though Well.. until I saw a guy maxing out the machine with 8 plates per side
Does your gym have an offset barbell that allows you to hold the bar right by your chin? If no, you should request that they buy one.

And yeah this. I'm fucking addicted to these lifts. If you lack overall size in the sense that you want to get thicker this is the way to go. The problem I have with it though is it gets me so hungry and I've put on fat. I do cardio to keep up my cardiovascular health and athleticism but it's difficult too because you're so sore from these lifts. I could cycle off of them for a couple of months but I'm hooked. I just want to see how heavy I can go (EGO)
Time to lower dat fat intake brah.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Jesus you're tall. Where is the bar sitting? You can try low bar squats as it's under your traps and more on your rear deltoids. However I'm not sure where your pain is. Also stretching won't increase the mobility in your shoulders. On the contrary, you should warm them up to open up your mobility and do shoulder mobility exercises. A search should help.

Also have you tried front squats? Another great squat variation that is very quad dominant especially vs low bar squats. Low bar tends to get more hips involved but you will hit your quads regardless.

Lol. The leg press, one of the biggest ego lifting machines out there.

That said yea when I do it I'm doing 5 plates for 8-10 reps
True. The short range of motion people is always good for a few laughs.

feels good, don't it? I know 5 plates isn't a ton by any stretch... it just seems like it
Even a 747 looks small in the Grand Canyon.

Originally Posted by justnspace
cue majofo's lower bar placement spiel
If you mean low bar see above

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Time to lower dat fat intake brah.
Dem carbs. In a few weeks hitting a hard cut. Lots of life stuff going on this month.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:13 PM
Team Owner

Jesus you're tall. Where is the bar sitting? You can try low bar squats as it's under your traps and more on your rear deltoids. However I'm not sure where your pain is. Also stretching won't increase the mobility in your shoulders. On the contrary, you should warm them up to open up your mobility and do shoulder mobility exercises. A search should help.

Also have you tried front squats? Another great squat variation that is very quad dominant especially vs low bar squats. Low bar tends to get more hips involved but you will hit your quads regardless.
The bar, if I try doing a rear squat, hits the top vertebra in my neckI. It should rest a few inches lower, more on the traps. But I can't go that far back. I'm interested in these low bar squats... I'll have a look.

Quick Reply: The ESSENTIALS of losing fat and gaining muscle - YOUR DIET