2001 1.7 EL Canister Purge Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 1.7 EL Canister Purge Leak?

Hi all,

Check engine light came on a while back (2 months?)...had it scanned at my trusted independent repair place and the guy told me I have a "canister purge leak" Recently the light actually went off on it's own, only to come back a couple of days later.

I forgot to ask him for the actual code because they are in such a rush all the time but he quoted me about $400 and said it can wait.

I'm planning to get this fixed end of June (when work calms down) and I would like to do it myself.

I've done some reading and it seems that to fix this issue people are replacing the "Vapor Canister Filter"? which costs about $50 so I'm confused with the above price quote...

Any help would be appreciated. Is this something I could fairly easily do myself? I only have 2 wheel stands and would be doing this in my parking lot outside...don't have much experience with automotive repair but I have confidence if it's a fairly easy fix.

My car has under 180k km on it.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:56 AM

What I mean by "easy fix" is if it's in fact just that one valve and I don't have to change multiple pieces, hoses etc...
Old 09-26-2016, 10:41 PM

Yes it is an easy fix, i just had to get my 2004 EL e tested and i had a similar code if not the same one, first make sure all your hoses are connected at the charcoal canister, it is in the rear of the car right in the middle. after you have checked your hoses look at the charcoal canister, there is a square thing attached to it with 2 hoses and an electrical connection on it. if it looks rusted ( as most are ) it is probably the issue, the part cost me $50 from Canadian Auto Parts (Canadian Auto Parts Suppliers ? It's all about the parts.) and the part is called a purge valve and it looks exactly like this if you can replace it your self its a cheap fix, if the bolts were completely rusted like mine you may have some trouble and will need to bring a mechanic but it should only take an hour.