2009 tech package new owner with blown speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:12 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 tech package new owner with blown speakers

Hey TSX community! Former 03 TL owner here. My car was totally destroyed by a recent hail storm in Colorado and I bought a 2009 TSX tech/navi as a replacement (so it is probably time to change my username). Drives like a dream and it's for sure a style upgrade 😎

Long story short, I've got 2 blown speakers in the doors on the passenger side. Bought 2 pairs of Alpine type s speakers, then promptly returned them after learning of the issues with 4ohm speakers paired with the ELS amp and it's god awful EQ settings.

I've scoured this forum and tsxclub for suggestions on how to get the system back to 100%, and I think I've resigned myself to just replacing the speakers directly with stock models. It won't help me correct the overly bright Bluetooth input EQ which I use 90% of the time, but it is probably the best I can do without gutting the system completely, going custom, and losing a ton of tech functionality in the process.

So here's what I'm really after:

Were the speaker models changed after 2009? If so, what is the part number for the newer model? I'd rather not replace the blown speakers with ones that will just die on me again.

I apologise, I know the tech system's audio issues have been discussed to death. I just couldn't find a solution that included the speaker model I need. While I'm here, if anyone has alternative speaker/EQ adjustment suggestions, I am all ears. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Eric
​​​​​​
Old 06-30-2017, 11:15 PM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 187 Posts
If you do end up finding good aftermarket speakers for our stupid els system please tell all.. My front components have shit the bed a while ago and I refuse to overpay for those factory bullshit replacements, Ive resulted to mostly playing ESPN radio in the whip cuz I hate hearing that stupid crackle and pop from any bass at all in the front.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
In all honesty, there isn't a solution other than gutting your vehicle's system including HU and starting from scratch... sad but true
You can try an expensive DSP to try to retain the stock radio but this is a costly venture. Just my opinion though.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:16 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey, I haven't been on for awhile but I did have an 09 and a 12 and I feel your pain. The 2012 did not have speaker issues and sounded better than the 09. I can tell you that the tuning of the TSX amp in the 09 is to blame for the speaker issues. I would guess based on amount of speakers that had to be replaced that someone figured this out and ordered a re-tune.

If you do some searching for my posts you will see a lot of info on the ELS system including a preamp I designed to replace the ELS amp. I didn't build any production units because of the costs involved supporting the DVD-A and Dolby surround modes. I am working on a new design that will only support a stereo output (Front Rear and Sub) for my new Ford Focus with the Sony system. The Sony system uses the same hi quality HU found in the ELS system but has a Sony external DSP amp (The ELS has a Panasonic DSP amp).

Jeff
Old 07-02-2017, 11:38 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, the ELS discussion all stars are coming out of the woodwork for this post. I'm honored haha

Mercman, I am very familiar with your other posts. I have read every thread mentioning your preamp multiple times, and I only started this one because I thought it would be a waste of everyone's time to resurrect the original thread to ask you to please please please make the preamp again. Glad to hear you have a new version in the works. I am 110% in for one once it is ready. I can only reliably speak for myself, but I suspect others may also share this mentality in 2017 - fuck DVD Audio. Give me a solid Bluetooth experience, with AM/FM as an added bonus, and please take my money.

I have looked at other DSPs like the 360.3, and I have given some serious thought to going that route. I am way out of my depth on that stuff though, so I was thinking I'd just replace the busted speakers in the meantime and start saving for a professionally designed solution down the road.

My other bandaid solution was to find a per-device Bluetooth EQ automation app that operates at the system level for Android (no luck on that either). I am using Spotify the majority of the time, and its EQ is all or nothing. I just couldn't justify switching it on and off every time I got in the car. This means that whatever EQ I would set for the car would jack up all my other headphones and speakers with its ass-backwards configuration to counteract the ELS settings. Plus, all of the processing on top of processing was unlikely to really result in that much improvement. Doesn't solve the issues with the other inputs either 😕

For those who are interested in my original question, mercman gave you the correct answer. They changed the tuning instead of the speakers, so the speaker model was never updated. If I find a good stock speaker replacement, I will absolutely report back here.

​​​​​​In the meantime though - mercman, let me venmo you a deposit...