Slightly different tires...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Slightly different tires...

Hey everyone... I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread that answered my question so I'm starting a new one. If there is one that I missed, my apologies!

Is it bad to have 1 tire slightly different from the other 3? They have the same wear on them, same size, same brand, just a slightly different model with a VERY SLIGHT difference in tread pattern. I have:

3 x Continental ProContact GX 245/40R19
1 x Continental ContiProContact 245/40R19

I was told by a few different people that because the tread pattern is ALMOST identical, it shouldn't be a problem, but before I mount I just want to check with everyone on here to be sure. I don't do any overly aggressive driving. This is my daily driver. If absolutely necessary, I can always sell the one that is different and buy a used one to match the set. I got a very good deal on this set and I honestly did not notice they were different until after I got them home. Hoping it will be okay... I can post pictures of the tires if needed.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it !
Old 04-23-2018, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
personally, i'd go and buy a used procontact GX to match because OCD.. but it shouldn't be too bad.
The following users liked this post:
macuratsx (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
personally, i'd go and buy a used procontact GX to match because OCD.. but it shouldn't be too bad.
Thanks for your reply. I am the same way, so it bothers me too. I've looked at a few places online and it seems to be that the procontact GX was not a popular tire, and if there are any used ones around in that size, they are run-flats and the ones I have are not run-flats, and to my understanding I can't mix the two. Still have a bit of time before I should switch over my winters to summers so I will keep an eye out. But the general consensus seems to be that if worse comes to worst, it most likely won't be an issue to have the two on there together.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:26 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Yeah, it's *probably* just fine. In my broker days (as in, when I was more broke, not when I was working as a broker of some sort), I may have had up to three different types of tires on my hoopty.

I picked up a razor blade in a tire a while back (side note, WTF?) and the helpful greasy hand at Discount had a whole list of recommended "close enough" tires to install. Ultimately, I ended up getting the one remaining identical tire they had... But really, would they offer a different tire if it wasn't okay?

Rhetorical. Of course they would. Because, make a sale.

But really... Probably not a huge deal if they're the same size and roughly the same wear/rating/construction.

But if you can afford it, it may be worth the piece of mind to do what thoiboi said and get a chili dog with extra cheese.
The following users liked this post:
macuratsx (04-25-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Yeah, it's *probably* just fine. In my broker days (as in, when I was more broke, not when I was working as a broker of some sort), I may have had up to three different types of tires on my hoopty.

I picked up a razor blade in a tire a while back (side note, WTF?) and the helpful greasy hand at Discount had a whole list of recommended "close enough" tires to install. Ultimately, I ended up getting the one remaining identical tire they had... But really, would they offer a different tire if it wasn't okay?

Rhetorical. Of course they would. Because, make a sale.

But really... Probably not a huge deal if they're the same size and roughly the same wear/rating/construction.

But if you can afford it, it may be worth the piece of mind to do what thoiboi said and get a chili dog with extra cheese.
Lol. All very true. Thanks for the info!! I will definitely keep all that in mind.